Testers Wanted: Vortex Rangefinders ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

20 minutes ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

The owner tells the architect "I want fancy dramatic holes".   

that's possible to do without making the course unwalkable for the average human being. 

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I walk all the time, carrying or pushing. More enjoyable I find, plus that way I can convince myself I’m keeping fit too. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 3HL Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym Heavenwood Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 4H Project X Hzrdus Silver
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven with logo-bjm2.png.b7e1077b096fed17a2870b0f63b7837f.png Kotahi grip
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, :Clicgear: 8.0+

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

25 minutes ago, Bman01 said:

I still walk. It make the game more relaxing and enjoyable. I think I play better when I walk.

I've got nothing against walking.
I used to walk the course all of the time years ago.

Now, if I have any intentions of completing the round, I ride.
Sadly, the little par 3 course that I could still walk closed down.

tba

I honestly can't remember the last time I did take a cart...

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

9 hours ago, JohnFP said:

I would love to walk buy physically can't.  Seems lime most younger golfers today all use carts and consider it part of the game.

I really miss walking ☹️

Yes JohnFP the older I get the more I realize and thank God that I can walk the course still. Sorry you're unable to. 

Weekend golfing warrior striving for single figure handicap 

52 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I honestly can't remember the last time I did take a cart...

I wish I could say the same. for some cases it depends on where I am. Consider this week, I am on Maui, no walking 90% of the courses here. I FL my home course only allows walking after 1200 or 1300 and the league plays first thing in the morning; as much as I hate riding, I am stuck sometimes. There are a couple of courses in WA that only have riding; at one I tried to argue that I hadn't seen a course up there that I couldn't have walked, then I found out; it was over 1/2 mile to the 1st hole and there were a couple of walks that were like the hike between #5 and #6 at Kapalua Plantation and I realized, wow!  I guess I put my foot in my mouth there (pun intended). Regardless, I much prefer walking anytime I am allowed to. 

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

I walk with an eWheels electronic caddy.... love to walk but at 70  y.o. the hills where I often play will beat me up. Not having to push my my bag up the hills really helps.

I play with seniors who walk 60% to the other 40%. However, there are so many courses I travel to that I will ride, #1 if I don't know the course well, riding helps with the pace of my play (and my partner). #2 there are many courses that meander more that 7 to 10+ miles thru home communities, so walking really slows up play. Today was 20k steps from my fit bit.

Another course near me, is cobbled together between a residential community. Over roads and under roads you travel thru wetlands. At one point as you make a loop on the back 9, you are left with nearly a mile between holes. On a hot day, that's brutal. I haven't walked that in 5 years.

Besides that, give me a < 7 mile course and lets walk all day. However, a 4hr15min round means no fooling around, no hike back to the turn house if it's not right in place, etc.

I also walk 95% of the time. It makes getting a cart more enjoyable, when I do in the odd occasion and it’s way more affordable meaning I get to play more. I also enjoy the walk more and tend to score better when I walk.

Byron A.

trying to get to single figures in the next 12 months

Ping G400 Max Driver, Cleveland Launcher XL 5 wood, TM Aeroburner 5H to PW, 52, 56, 60 assorted wedges 

I also prefer to walk the courses I play and do most often use my push cart, now that I'm in my mid 60s.  I usually play much better when I walk as I feel the contours and lay of the course under my feet.  I also gives me time to reflect on my game and on the day as I'm walking up to my ball.  Riding in a cart is somewhat convenient but I always feel I'm rushing between my ball location and my cart partner's ball.

Hail to all walkers!!

My weapons of choice:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 Max 10.5

5 Wood: :ping-small: G430 Max

7Wood: :cobra-small: King F9 SpeedBack

Hybrid: :PXG: 0211, 19-degree

Irons 1: :srixon-small: ZX5, 5-GW

Irons 2: :PXG: 0211 XCOR2, 5-GW

Wedges: :vokey-small:  SM9, 52 F8 & 56 S10

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider FCG #3 Mallet

“Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” - Sam Snead

Yep.  I don't belong to a country club and can't afford the caddy fee anyway, but I love to walk and I also play better when walking versus riding.  So after overcoming some foot, knee, and hip issues I decided to get a robo cart [MGI from Costco] and have never looked back.  It gives one a chance to get some exercise, familiarize yourself with the course - okay, I'm in the woods more than I'd like to admit - and shortcuts from green to next tee, as well as keeping my swing loose.  It also feels more athletic and authentic to the game.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

On 5/26/2017 at 8:11 PM, jaymikem said:

Do any of you notice a drastic difference in the quality of the courses that you walk compared the the courses that require a cart?

I know of no courses in my area that don't have carts available, good condition or bad.  It's another source of revenue for them.  Most of the year it's cart path only which eliminates the benefit of a cart unless you play your ball next to the cart path because you have to drive to the general distance, then pick a club and walk to and from the ball with a couple of clubs [unless you have the fairly expensive Cube range finder - highly recommended for cart users because it will triangulate the distance from ball to pin from a third position like the cart path].  

Some courses encourage riding, especially if there's a long walk [or drive] from the green to the next tee.  

-XY

On 6/11/2017 at 3:50 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Interesting day today at the course. We normally have a lot of walkers of all ages as the course isn't that long and there are only a few hills which I would consider a climb. I've only walked the course and find it a good walk.

All that being said it was a nice day and the weather started to get hot for here and absolutely everyone took a cart and avoided having to walk. Even ppl finishing 9 were coming in asking for a cart. For reference it was 24C so 76F.

Does anyone else find weather plays a big part in whether they take a cart or not? Or what is too hot for walking?

I will ride in the desert like Eastern Washington, Arizona, Palm Springs when it gets hot.  I will ride in Florida if I can't get an early tee time; I had a round on Old Corkscrew where my pulse hit 170 on the 9th hole due to 100 degree heat and 100 percent humidity.  Went in and hydrated with Gatorade and a beer, and rode the rest of the round.  

-XY

On 5/9/2017 at 3:03 PM, verojoe said:

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more relaxed state of mind. Also, it seems to me that I play better when walking. Anyone else enjoy putting one foot in front of the other when playing?

Yes. I almost always walk, and I carry my bag 2/3 of the time when I play, even for 18 holes if the course isn’t too hilly or spread-out.  This week, I have already walked more than 34,000 steps playing golf.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

On 1/4/2018 at 10:39 AM, chisag said:

... Golf is an athletic event. Walking keeps your body in better condition to swing as it stays loose and active. Drinking plenty of water helps, as it does in any athletic endeavor. Walking allows you to see the upcoming shot and think about it as you arrive to your ball. And this doesn't even take into account the health benefit as we age. Walking a golf course is something you can do into your 90's and can even help you get there! I think it is by far the best way to play the game. I have been using a remote controlled cart for over 25 years and it allows me to walk like I have a caddy. 

... But non athletes can play and that is a big part of golf's charm. You can drink, and ride and look at your phone and take the game as seriously or as casual as you like. Of course there are plenty of other reasons to ride in a cart and you have already covered physical limitations. I will add resort courses with extremely long distances between greens and tees as well as mountain courses and crazy hot days.  

Soooo true.  I golf with a bunch of septuanarians [I'll be getting there myself far too soon!] and nearly everyone walks.

-XY

On 1/5/2018 at 4:55 PM, chisag said:

... Just before my first back surgery in 92' when I carried my bag and the dual strap came out I asked my Orthopedic surgeon if he liked the dual strap. He said he loved them because "they are gonna put all 3 of my kids thru college". He said a push cart is necessary for all golfers. He admitted some can carry their bags and get away with little or no problems, but you cannot keep your spine erect when carrying and for most, sooner or later they will have back problems. Good for you making the switch as you still get the exercise and all the benefits of walking while playing!  

That's interesting!  Glad I have my cart!

-XY

On 1/17/2018 at 6:08 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Have you guys seen thd robo Caddie or something like that. I'm on mobile and can't search easily to find a link. It's like your remote carts without a remote.

You just attach a small sensor on the back of your belt and it follows a few yards behind you ans when you stop moving it stops.

They're all over the internet.  Stuart caddy cart

-XY

I walk 90% of my rounds. Likely more than that % this year as I’m joining a 9-hole league. Friends I play with do prefer to ride 18, but I much prefer walking. 
I do have a manual push cart, but I have two compressed vertebrae from a mountain bike accident 25 years ago and I’ve suffered with lower back pain intermittently since then. Carrying my clubs triggered my back when I returned to golf, so I quickly invested in a push cart. 

On Sunday I’ll be walking 18 and using a rental electric push cart. Never used one and it being available was too tempting to turn down. That’ll be a fun experiment. Hopefully it’s not too much of an improvement over my BagBoy push cart… I can’t afford an upgrade right now. Ha ha. 

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:titleist-small:TSR2 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small: 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW

:vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix ;  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

We play on a very hilly 9 hole course and I enjoy walking it, although, at 60 the use of an electric trolley is recommended!!!!!! 

I feel walking has huge health benefits both mental and physical and is the way the game is meant to be played in most circumstances. 

For me, Ive noticed I play better walking whem ive compared rounds on holiday. You just feel more connected to the game and youbcan also size up your shots and make decisions before you get to the ball..... Helping to speed up play! 

Driver - Mizuno ST200

3 and 5 Woods - Titleist TSR2

3 Hybrid - Titleist TSR2

Irons - PING G410

Putter - Odyssey TEN

This thread has made me start browsing fb and Craigslist for deals on a walking cart!!!  I may have to browse some goodwill stores today too!!!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

10 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

This thread has made me start browsing fb and Craigslist for deals on a walking cart!!!  I may have to browse some goodwill stores today too!!!

giphy.gif

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

I still walk most courses unless I'm playing in a tournament.  I am getting to the point where I don't want to carry my clubs anymore.  

Ping 425 

18* hybrid

22* hybrid

irons - Callaway rogue

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

On 5/16/2024 at 1:15 PM, StrokerAce said:

that's possible to do without making the course unwalkable for the average human being. 

To me seems there are a few types of courses that just cannot, for example .. courses squeezed in almost as an afterthought within a housing tract development; courses built on oddly shaped parcels where some routings just get weirdly spread out; or .. some courses out there are just not well designed, don't make good use of the natural topography and are not well routed...

Separately...

As I'm reading the recent responses in this thread a thought occurred to me -- consider some of the most popular bucket list golf destinations in the world .. eg. St. Andrews, Bandon Dunes .. no motor carts, walking only, caddies available....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H .. Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I’m 75 and still prefer to walk although I do use a push cart these days. I think I get a much better feel for the course and ultimately enjoy it more.  However , there are courses and tournaments where I do ride.  It is great to see facilities like Bandon Dunes (a true slice of heaven) that are walking only.

Honma TW-747 455 10.5* w/ Vizard 60R

Ping i20 #3 15* w/ Ping TFC 707 F Stiff

Ping i20 Hybrid 20* w/ Project X 5.5

Ping i20 4-PW w/ Recoil 65 F3

Ping Tour S 50* 54* 58* w/ Recoil 65 F3

TaylorMade Spider Tour