Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Financial Security plus or minus

revkev

Several guys got into a discussion about the advantages or disadvantages of financial security in a thread about the number of Majors Rory and Dustin Johnson will win.

I've seen all the major sports transition from a time when players worked another job in the offseason - yes really baseball players, football players and golfers had to take second jobs. Jack actually worked in his Dad's pharmacy after his rookie season. Most guys did club pro gigs in warm weather places but they worked.

Jack and Arnie were against the all exempt tour because they said it would breed complacency. Instead it's given guys the security they need to devote themselves to their game free of financial worry. I'd say it's created a deeper pool of very good players and it's share of great ones - Phil and Tiger are a formidable duo and the new generation is full of potential stars.

I think human nature is human nature. The players who do the best are driven by winning and the money takes care of itself. But that's true in any vocation. People who love what they do tend to rise to the top while those chasing dollars top off at a lower level.

I think the money neither hurts nor helps with a tad push towards the helps.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Money was evil in a way to Phil-Tiger-and DJ drug issues.It can be great if handled wisely.But can be the worst of all evils if abused.Most rise to success with a drive and love of what they are doing.If you love flipping burgers than flip them as well as you can.Many a great burger flipper became owner.

Secret is finding career that you love to do. Not how much you make.Our lives on this beautiful world our so short.Make the journey a fun one and have no regrets.Than you will be rich no matter what the bank account says

Keep it in the short stuff

I love what I do. I'd love it more if it was finacially better. Money isn't everythng, for sure... but it sure makes eveything better.

just live within your means.Happiness and good health would be worth a trillion $ to the richest of the rich.

Keep it in the short stuff

Money was evil in a way to Phil-Tiger-and DJ drug issues.It can be great if handled wisely.But can be the worst of all evils if abused.Most rise to success with a drive and love of what they are doing.If you love flipping burgers than flip them as well as you can.Many a great burger flipper became owner.

Secret is finding career that you love to do. Not how much you make.Our lives on this beautiful world our so short.Make the journey a fun one and have no regrets.Than you will be rich no matter what the bank account says

Phil had drug problems? This is news to me. The man likes to gamble but who really cares when you've got a couple hundred mill in the bank. 

Personally I see both sides of it. Deeper fields for sure now that there is more money involved. But it may cause some to get complacent as well. I do believe that those who want it bad enough can still be great though. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

To me money just means security. Which should allow them to go out and play carefree. Or at least as carefree as possible.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

... I think the money makes a big difference to the journeyman and maybe even a good but not top golfer. But once you are financially stable, I think these guys are driven by pride and wins. You see top players all the time go for a shot that might cost them a ton of cash if they miss but give them a chance to win if they pull it off. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I enjoy what I do, thoroughly. That said, I'd much rather make a living playing golf somehow. Maybe not on tour though, that's too much pressure.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I love what I do and financially secure for at least the next ten years if I retire tomorrow. Kid's college is completely taken care of, house is pretty much paid off and cars are paid for. Yet I still go to work, travel like a maniac and work 90 hours a week. I would say that money does not really make one complacent.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Rev's post is thought-provoking...

For instance; on the Web.Com Tour (or: qualifying tour) Money = Qualifying, ie. a few at the top of the money winner's list earn a Tour card. I'm assuming a lot of these guys also have some form of one, or more, endorsement contracts .. which yeah is extra $ but also presumably have some sorts of winnings and/or visibility clauses in them?

So it seems to me that these guys are "hungry" and working hard.

Then you get to the regular Tour .. where, based on a few articles I've seen .. some of the players can earn more, much more, per year from their endorsement contracts (or ad appearances for a select few) than from playing. Not sure how large or small a percentage of the Tour field this applies to, nor what the comparisons are of endorsement $ to Tour earnings $.

So... Is there then less incentive for the high endorsement earners to not play as well, or to not play in as many events?

(eg. just getting out there once in a while is 'good enough'...)

And not understanding any of the process of Tour exemptions and maintaining your qualified status, but ...

Does this imply that maybe there could be a few more Tour spots made available for up-and-coming "hungry" players...?

On the flip side - I totally agree with everyone who said some guys just love playing the game, regardless. For example, look at Phil (again) - the guy could probably stop playing and cancel all endorsements and still probably spend a Million$ a day for the rest of his life. But he's out there, practicing and traveling and working hard because clearly he loves the game and the thrill of that level of competition.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I tend to agree that the current tour money scenario isn't so much good or bad, but currently, just the way it is.   In the early days of the tour, one had to win to make a living. Such was true of most professional sports in the "olden days", so to speak.   Now, many just play to place, get a check, and cash enough to keep the card.   They are the "journeymen" that understand such to be their fate and never the less, make a great living and live the good life.   But it also makes the arrival of the talented young bucks a bit more entertaining and interesting.   It enhances the story line when a Speith, a Fowler, a Thomas, or a Johnson arrives to take on the "journeymen'.

I would put financial security in a couple of categories; 1. No worry for paying bills but have maybe health issues. 2. Health good, no worry with bills, but family/personal turmoil. 3. Everything is great, but haven't met personal goals. You can read that between the lines in articles, and in interviews. Money doesn't always bring happiness. So for me, I wouldn't want or need the financial freedom if I didn't have the personal peace first.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I really had in mind money on tour and not as it relates to us. There was a comment made about money impacting Rory's play. I don't know that this is true - perhaps he's the player we see / when he's on he's unstoppable but when's he's not he's not.

I actually think playing less is a prime example of how being financially secure can help. Nicklaus was the first that I can recall who was able to play less. It worked very well for him as he won three majors in his 40's. Tiger played less as well but we know now that he was also doing stuff that was crazy hard on his body too.

Regardless I don't buy into the notion that more money available means inferior play or effort. Some will always be self motivated.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived