Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Range Divots![emoji35]

STUDque

These make me mad:

IMG_4252.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG

This makes me happy:

IMG_4256.JPG

I don't see divot grouping as a function of skill but rather a function of etiquette. Grouping divots together makes it easier for the groundskeepers to repair the range and provides more space for fellow golfers to hit.

Am I crazy?

Edit: In light of new information, photos re ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Not at all.  This is one of my big pet peeves.  I try to keep mine all together, but it's usually looks like a minefield when I get out there anyway.  Most of the people I play with go out there and they have about 10 foot square they try to stay in it seems.  It drives me crazy. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

The first 2 both make me angry.  Bulldog nailed it, proper range divots are parallel lines with some space between them.

Divotpatterns.jpg

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The first 2 both make me angry. Bulldog nailed it, proper range divots are parallel lines with some space between them.

attachicon.gifDivotpatterns.jpg

Isn't "concentrated" essentially a bunch of short linear strips butted against each other? I figure it would be the easiest to replace from a groundskeeping perspective as they could just plop a square of sod over it.

What's so bad about the square?

Isn't "concentrated" essentially a bunch of short linear strips butted against each other? I figure it would be the easiest to replace from a groundskeeping perspective as they could just plop a square of sod over it.

What's so bad about the square?

Golf courses, and especially ranges, aren't sod farms.  There's no sod replacing going on.  At least on my range the area that you hit from is just continually rotated and the grass grows back naturally over about 2 weeks.  The grass will essentially seed itself and spread kind of like weeds.  So it's much easier for the grass to cover 2 thin linear strips than to cover a huge bare patch a foot or more square.  And the 2 linear lines take up much less space than thirty random divots over a 5 sq ft area.  

So basically a huge bare patch is bad because it takes longer for the grass to regrow.  The minefield is bad because it takes up a lot of space even though they would grow back quicker.  So the we are left with the smaller group of parallel lines as the best method of both taking a shorter time to regrow, and taking up less space on the range.

I think I picked the square divot shape up watching tour pros on the range. Now that you put it that way, it makes sense. My course has large strips down the side of a few fairways that are definitely sod farms but it would certainly make sense to use that resource on tee boxes and fairways instead of the range.

Learn something new every day huh? In the case of MGS, I tend to learn much more than one thing per day. Looks like I've got a new practice routine to put in place.

Picture 3 is how I was taught to do it. Coach would've skinned me alive for picture 1

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Thank you, tried to download that exact pic.

U did good!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Golf courses, and especially ranges, aren't sod farms. There's no sod replacing going on. At least on my range the area that you hit from is just continually rotated and the grass grows back naturally over about 2 weeks. The grass will essentially seed itself and spread kind of like weeds. So it's much easier for the grass to cover 2 thin linear strips than to cover a huge bare patch a foot or more square. And the 2 linear lines take up much less space than thirty random divots over a 5 sq ft area.

So basically a huge bare patch is bad because it takes longer for the grass to regrow. The minefield is bad because it takes up a lot of space even though they would grow back quicker. So the we are left with the smaller group of parallel lines as the best method of both taking a shorter time to regrow, and taking up less space on the range.

Right on. Unfortunately not many golfers are aware of this.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I think I picked the square divot shape up watching tour pros on the range. Now that you put it that way, it makes sense. My course has large strips down the side of a few fairways that are definitely sod farms but it would certainly make sense to use that resource on tee boxes and fairways instead of the range.

Learn something new every day huh? In the case of MGS, I tend to learn much more than one thing per day. Looks like I've got a new practice routine to put in place.

I happened to have a teaching Pro show me how and why years ago. Up to that point u needed a back hoe following me around.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I was always taught to do parallel lines....of course growing up in Texas on muni courses we were just lucky if we could take a divot at all!! #hardpan

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I was always taught to do parallel lines....of course going up in Texas on muni courses we were just lucky if we could take a divot at all!! #hardpan

That's one of those funny things you learn from lessons but don't learn if you're self-taught

I asked our Super about this today.

He said the middle pic with the two parallel lines is the absolute preference. The scattered divots are not as bad as the big square. He said he could live with those, but it just eats up space on the range (as GS Meyer said). He said that may be why you see Tour pros do thst. They are generally on a huge range that has multiple areas to be rotated, so they will heal quicker. He said the square may grow weeds before it regrows grass. 😱

I told him the straight line is all well and good. But my issue is when I do that I may hit the ground before the ball and it them leaves little patches in between the divots that are too small to hit off so they are like a checkerboard.

He said the answer to that is right over in the pro shop and he gives lessons for $55 an hour. LOL!! Everyone is a comedian.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I asked our Super about this today.

He said the middle pic with the two parallel lines is the absolute preference. The scattered divots are not as bad as the big square. He said he could live with those, but it just eats up space on the range (as Shawn said). He said that may be why you see Tour pros do thst. They are generally on a huge range that has multiple areas to be rotated, so they will heal quicker. He said the square may grow weeds before it regrows grass.

I told him the straight line is all well and good. But my issue is when I do that I may hit the ground before the ball and it them leaves little patches in between the divots that are too small to hit off so they are like a checkerboard.

He said the answer to that is right over in the pro shop and he gives lessons for $55 an hour. LOL!! Everyone is a comedian.

Sounds right to me. $55.00/hr good price but too far too commute!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I wonder why courses don't put these examples up on their ranges. This would fall in the same bucket as the instructions they typically post for repairing a pitch mark on the green.

I wonder why courses don't put these examples up on their ranges. This would fall in the same bucket as the instructions they typically post for repairing a pitch mark on the green.

It's a good suggestion. And honestly it would have as much affect as the fix your ball mark signs and cart path only signs. People (most) will ignore them and do as they please.

That's been the biggest shock to me since coming to work at a course. How many people blatantly disregard common courtesy things like those.

A small percentage is they are inexperienced and don't know, another small percentage actually does abide by the rules and take care of the course....(thank you to those who do) but the wide majority, ignore and don't care enough to follow rules or take the time to rake a bunker or fix a ball Mark.

It's a good suggestion. And honestly it would have as much affect as the fix your ball mark signs and cart path only signs. People (most) will ignore them and do as they please.

That's been the biggest shock to me since coming to work at a course. How many people blatantly disregard common courtesy things like those.

A small percentage is they are inexperienced and don't know, another small percentage actually does abide by the rules and take care of the course....(thank you to those who do) but the wide majority, ignore and don't care enough to follow rules or take the time to rake a bunker or fix a ball Mark.

Great point. I guess I'm in the minority because I remember seeing that ball mark tutorial for the first time and practiced the motion in the air. At that time, fixing pitch marks was fun since I rarely got to do it.

Great point. I guess I'm in the minority because I remember seeing that ball mark tutorial for the first time and practiced the motion in the air. At that time, fixing pitch marks was fun since I rarely got to do it.

Exactly. They should be a badge of honor!!

We have big laminated ones by the ball dispenser at my course.

We have big laminated ones by the ball dispenser at my course.

Sorry I mistakenly gave GS Shawn credit a few posts back for the Divot sign instead of you.   I should have gone back and looked instead of relying on my memory, which is becoming less and less the smart thing to do...ha

Work at a golf course and you will get really mad/pissed about divots. There are spots on our range that are are so deep the sole of your shoe is covered when you step in it.

I can understand if it is a public course where there are a lot of first-time golfers etc.. but I work at a country club where the members "should" know better. They are literally digging a hole with their clubs, not taking divots but digging a stupid hole!

The best part, these are the same members that complain that the range boxes look horrible. I have to bite my tongue when they say that because I want to say "yeah, it takes a whole season to re-grow grass in the post holes you dig every time you are out here".

I just dont get it. 

8hhf0J5.png

We are one of the few grass ranges (other than two private clubs) within about 20 miles.   I'm surprised more people don't come here just to hit balls, versus the two traditional driving ranges in the area, where they have to use mats. 

We are one of the few grass ranges (other than two private clubs) within about 20 miles. I'm surprised more people don't come here just to hit balls, versus the two traditional driving ranges in the area, where they have to use mats.

Grass only way to go. The range here is mats Wednesday, Sunday & Monday. I won't hit off of mats and from the lack of people on those 3 days when I go by I'm not alone.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I recently just started to go from multiple lines to try to create one or two lines I was hitting 3 until i realized I was wasting space because I was hesitant to go near the ropes that border the range when I spend a lot of time. Now I use the ropes as training to compress the ball better.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Picture 3 is how I was taught to do it. Coach would've skinned me alive for picture 1

I was not aware of this either. I was taught #3. I will have to add this to another old school myth about golf right after putting is more important than ball striking. And I carry my driver 280. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived