Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
PlaidJacket

Will Lucy Li lose Amature Status?

This is an interesting situation. The phrase "personal benefit," as stated in the rule is very subjective. Those grey areas are what make things like this so confusing. Honestly, this could go either way, but I'd have to say that the publicity she received would/should be considered a personal gain.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I cannot believe that Apple and the adults in the room didn't know about this rule before the video was produced.  There had to be a contract signed.  As @GolfJunkie302 stated, the outcome will be determined by what, if any, personal benefit was received.  Unless there was compensation of any kind involved, I'm not sure there is any benefit gained.  She is already well-known and was going to get into any amateur event she wanted to play anyway.  What's the benefit?  That will be what the USGA will have to decide.  

Well... and then in today's world, there is this:  😁

6.2  An amateur golfer of golf skill or reputation must not use that skill or reputation to obtain payment, compensation, personal benefit or any financial gain, directly or indirectly, for (i) promoting, advertising or selling anything, or (ii) allowing HIS name or likeness to be used by a third party for the promotion, advertisement or sale of anything.

So, how would the USGA rule if a model for a clothing line played golf at a high level and decided to enter a US Amateur event?  That player then posed for the clothing manufacturer in a leisure sports outfit holding a golf club.  Is there a personal benefit? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Seems like a classic case of "We're going to do this, and DARE you to punish us".  Totally a circumvention of the amateur status rules, IMO.  Lucy gets a LOT of exposure to people who don't follow golf, and that's a benefit to her "brand", big time.  I'd hate to see her completely lose her status, but I'd feel better about it all if she received a suspension.

• Like 3

This amateur status rules... I don´t get it´s existence in terms of publicity and all. I mean, should competitive golf only be open to whoever just plays Golf? If I have a office 9-5 job and still get to train golf and play as good as anyone else on Tour why can´t I? Why isn´t it like tennis where you get a ranking and there are different tournaments per ranking, and amateurs are all that don´t register in the federation? just asking...

I personally believe she violated the rules and should receive punishment.  But I am very black and white like that!  I see very little, if any, gray area in life.  My non-golfer wife had a different take.  For reference, my wife was an econ and marking major in college.  She has worked for 20 years in business development, economic development and marketing management.  Her point is simple.  Everyone associated with the ad likely knew the consequence for Li, including Li's family.  It was intentional in her opinion.

My wife believes it was a calculated risk given modern society considers any publicity to be good publicity.  If Li is punished by the USGA, she is the "innocent victim" which will likely land her endorsements from other brands as she turns professional.  This will also give her some leverage with the LPGA to allow her to seek playing privileges prior to turning 18.

If she is not punished by the USGA, she gamed the system to get future endorsements when she turns professional later.  Especially considering she will have been the face of a billion dollar company like Apple in a very successful ad campaign.    

Either way, the Li family benefits.

• Like 4

The problem is that there is a rule regarding this, there cannot be exceptions to the rules. The blame goes to her parents, for allowing her to participate in the commercial, there are several folks in her “camp” who knew about this rule, and at the very least should have asked if this was a violation. I t don’t think the USGA has any options here, they have to revoke her ametuer status. It may not be popular, but if they let her off, it opens the door for this to happen again and again, and then what. The rule exists, she is in blatant violation of the rule, and the punishment for that violation is loss of her ametuer status. The excuse of “I didn’t know” doesn’t work. 

• Like 2

Rule 6-2 needs to go the way of RULE 14-4. So what if an amature made a little cash to survive, played a role in a movie. Those that work hard and use resources make it in this world....