Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Smart (Wifi) Lights (Philips Hue, et al)

Mr. 82

So I finally looked into where the tech is going with wifi connected home stuff, and stumbled upon what are called "Smart Lights".  I went out to Wal-Mart this afternoon and got the starter kit, which supplies you with the bridge, which you connect to your router, and two bulbs.  You insert the bulb into any light socket or lamp, turn it on, download the app, and now you can control that bulb from the Philips Hue App.  I had previously bought a wifi controlled plugin that I use to turn on and off my living room lights on a timer, which also can be turned on from an app on my phone as well.

The Philips Hue is a little different as you don't need a special plug to the light, but it actually works through the bulb itself, which you then control from the app (as long as you leave the power on).  The Philips Hue also offers outdoor flood lights, which I am going to invest in and have them installed around the house, and then I can control the flood lights from my phone, and probably just put them on a timer.

Does anyone use the Philips Hue, or some other smart light type of device around their home?  Since I am just getting started with this I'd be curious of anyone else's experience/feedback/opinion on how it has worked (good or bad) for you.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've had smart lights in my home for years. I use a thing called dimmers. 😋

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have smart plugs but no lights as of yet. The plugs work very well. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

My mother in law has a damn Alexa thing in every room in her house. I want to stomp on them every time I am there. My kids constantly are saying Alexa, alexa.... play the most hideous rap song you can find.

But as far as other stuff goes. I am a huge fan of smart water heaters, smart thermostats, and smart fire/smoke alarms.

I had though about the lights. But we like the filament look and feel with warm light in the house. Regular “filament” led’s get the job done.

I have bulbs from LIFX, they connect via WiFi with no additional hubs needed, it works off the app, they make a few different sizes and a unique feature on some bulbs is night vision which basically enhances security cameras indoor or outdoor that use night vision. I’m a fan as there are also various interactive and holiday themed features built into the app like spooky or strobe light or candle light. I recommend though in my opinion a bit expensive but I guess any of these types of bulbs are higher priced.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've got the Hue ecosystem in my house. Man, they're expensive, but they're awesome. Bunch of bulbs and a couple light strips, one behind the TV and ran a few under my cabinets. Also have some of the Kasa smart plugs to automate some of my outlets, which I mainly used for Christmas light timers.

IMG_2441.thumb.jpg.96bc62128b14be067b4adb42c8bb4cb7.jpg

Had a Nest smart thermometer last year but ended up getting rid of it. I've been considering picking up a smart lock, just haven't made it around to it yet. I run all of my stuff off of Google Home. There are some pretty neat things you can do once you really dive into it all.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

We bought my son a couple for Christmas. He can change the color on them, so he has “mood” lighting behind his tv. Pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

9 hours ago, TSauer said:

I've got the Hue ecosystem in my house. Man, they're expensive, but they're awesome. Bunch of bulbs and a couple light strips, one behind the TV and ran a few under my cabinets. Also have some of the Kasa smart plugs to automate some of my outlets, which I mainly used for Christmas light timers.

IMG_2441.thumb.jpg.96bc62128b14be067b4adb42c8bb4cb7.jpg

Had a Nest smart thermometer last year but ended up getting rid of it. I've been considering picking up a smart lock, just haven't made it around to it yet. I run all of my stuff off of Google Home. There are some pretty neat things you can do once you really dive into it all.

Why did you get rid of the Nest? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Why did you get rid of the Nest? 

It wasn't compatible with the SmartThings Hub I was using at the time. I will probably end up getting another one down the road, either Nest or Ecobee.

If you are interested in getting one, check with your electric company, as they sometimes offer rebates for buying and installing one. I was able to get a $100 rebate through mine.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Archived