Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf Club Testing

fixyurdivot

Golf Club Testing  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which method of club testing is the best?

• Robot
    • Human

I was just reading Tony's article on golf club testing - and the long standing debate as to whether robots or humans provide better reviews. It's an interesting question really and both have some compelling arguments supporting their case.  From a purely analytical perspective, and ability to precisely control the ball strike, the robot wins hands down.  But from a feel and "playability" standpoint, I think humans get the nod.  The aesthetics and feel of a club will almost certainly fall into our laps but as time rolls along advancements in robotic and AI technology could very well put us testers out of a job and in the unemployment line... or will they?

At present, I'm leaning towards robots.  I say this because a robot affords an OEM's engineering team the ability to more precisely analyze a clubs performance and make iterative design changes to yield optimum ball flight - to include a more forgiving strike zone.  I like that they can repeatedly miss hit balls and/or impact at less than optimal conditions to see how the club performs. 

Were it possible to have a completely "blind test", I think it would be interesting to see how closely ball flight data between robot and human testing would correlate.

Concerning the poll question, "best" is in the sense that the equipments attributes will, more often than not, agree with the majority of players.  I purposely did not offer a "both" option in the poll; that's a punt, a cop out.  Nope, you need to stand tall and choose a side.  

https://mygolfspy.com/golf-club-testing-results-you-can-trust/

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

For design when it comes to specs the robot is a great tool because they can get consistent strikes and gather data similar to how ball testing is done.

human testing comes into play for the subjective aspects. Looks, sound, feel (many equate this to the sound they hear rather than what they feel in the hands arms). 

both are needed in my opinion. It’s why brands bring in testers for their prototype testing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

unfortunately i think the answer is really both.  Test are designed to achieve a specific purpose and both robot and human testing have  specific purposes.  What is best accomplished with a robot is not best accomplished with a human and vise versa. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I suppose it depends on what outcome you're looking for.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Im with both. An engineer or team can make the best golf club that checks all the boxes but it it looks like a iron that fell down the stairs into a furnace i.e. the human factor then its not worth its weight in scrap. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

It's definitely both. I had this conversation with the people at Titleist on Friday.  And you know what.  They had both going on at the very moment. 

They were using the robot for ball testing, and on one of the teeing areas they were using real live humans for club testing at that moment.  But they also use them for ball testing along with the robot. 

Sound famaliar?  MGS has said many times they get it's protocols from the OEM's.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 11/2/2019 at 7:37 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Were it possible to have a completely "blind test", I think it would be interesting to see how closely ball flight data between robot and human testing would correlate.

Anyone know if this has been attempted?  I've seen (been part of) blind tests with fly rods.  You would be amazed at the results. Same goes for blind tests of wine (they even made a movie about it, Bottle Shock, a good one btw). 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Anyone know if this has been attempted?  I've seen (been part of) blind tests with fly rods.  You would be amazed at the results. Same goes for blind tests of wine (they even made a movie about it, Bottle Shock, a good one btw). 

I'd agree with previous posts in that it's a combination of the two. As to the wine reference - it's purely personal preference - no robot testing as far as I know. There are some pretty expensive wines that I don't care for. Also some less expensive wines that I'd take over the expensive ones.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

So this article hits some great points. I actually didn't realize the fact that shafts so not affect a robot swing. As an engineer he hit most of the key points of any product I have every tested. Use machines for precise repeatable testing to develop the product use humans/customer's to drive feedback requirements for the product.
Humans are flawed, inconsistent, and emotional beings but that's who is paying for the product that's who is playing the product.
Smartphones, cars, computers, everything today is tested my machines to be able to stand up to benchmark performance and benchmark it against the competition. Those benchmarks may be meaningless if you don't need/want/fit into them. I don't need a gaming computer if I only write emails and I can't accommodate a Prius if I need to haul drywall every day.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver