Those That Converted From Riders to Walkers..You're experiences...

Our Sponsors

Grew up learning to play only being able to walk. Over the years walking vs riding for me depended on which course I held a membership to. Mostly I was able to walk on the courses where I live/d and only rode at resort or course I was totally unfamiliar with (did that a few times to get to know the layout before walking). 

Learned early on to have plenty of water or a bottle that I could fill up from what is provided on the courses. Also walking you are expending more energy and the snacks are of importance. Snacks that don't spike blood sugar (healthy nuts/trail mix like). 

Weather related, a good umbrella and at least a rain jacket (never liked wearing rain pants). I recently added seat to pull cart to sit down on extreme hot rounds if waiting. And a good weather app on phone for receiving lightening in area, approaching storms, etc. Towels, good towels. Ones for clubs and ones for wiping sweat. 

Finally, I keep a training aid like the orange whip for stretching/warming up. Since I don't carry my bag too often, the extra weight is not really a concern and the golf bag I use has sufficient space without cluttering clubs to account for the trainer. 

• Like 1

What got me to switch to a push cart were three magic words: "Cart Path Only." I used to ride most of the time, but playing cart path only is probably my second least favorite thing in golf. (My least favorite thing is being unable to find a ball that was only a few yards offline.) When it's cart path only, you end up walking just as much as if you had no cart at all -- but only horizontally across the fairway -- and all that back-and-forth slows down play horribly.

My "home" course is built in a flood plain and thus doesn't drain very well, making CPO all too frequent, and I would rather carry my bag on my back than deal with CPO. I found that I enjoyed walking the course, so I switched to a push cart (Clicgear 3.5+) to get the bag off my back and haven't looked back. Now I'll walk even if the course is dry. Walking means I always have my entire bag with me if I change my mind on club selection, and it's easier to find a ball in the rough (or trees) when I can walk along the same line the ball flew.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G410 LST 10.5°, Mitsubishi C6 ONYX 60 Stiff, 44.5"
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 19, 2H-4H, Fujikura Atmos TS Hybrid Blue 85 Stiff
Irons: Callaway Apex 19, 5i-AW, Aerotech SteelFiber 110 Stiff
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 Jet Black, 54-10S and 60-8M (bent to 58°), Aerotech SteelFiber 110 Stiff
Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus-4 Align Midsize
Putter: Evnroll ER7, stock grip
Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Purchased my mother in law a clic gear 3.5+ and she loves it. Very easy to push. I myself prefer to carry. I purchased the ping hoofer bag 2020. The reviews on MGS did not lead me the wrong way. Although expensive I would say it is money well spent. The way it sits in your bag is ergonomic. Everything is planned for easy reaching and applicability 

:titelist-small: TS3 8.5 D Hazardous Smoke Black

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag