1. 1. What's your Putter Swing Type?

• SBST (Not fitted)
    • Slight Arc (Not fitted)
    • Strong Arc (Not fitted)
    • SBST (fitted)
    • Slight Arc (fitted)
    • Strong Arc (fitted)

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

Start a thread and you will get a bit more feedback.

Several ways to do a putter fitting. Puttlab and the like capture great data, but is the recommendation good? It
Is an algorithm and if you switch putters you may not get the same recommendation. I prefer an understanding of the core data and then having a knowledgeable fitter review the data and make recommendations. There are a few face balanced blades out there; some with double bend and some with longer flow or plumbers necks.

I know it’s all an algorithm, and having that analytical data probably messed my head up. I didn’t change putters before or after the session. They just bent my current one to match the SAM results. 

you comment about using a different putter might yield different results is interesting. I hadn’t considered that. 

A good Golfer is someone who loves the game and all that comes with it.  A good Player is someone who can score.

Not all players are good golfers.  Be a good Golfer.

• Driver - Taylormade TSi 3
  • 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Taylormade Sim2 19.5
  • 4H - Taylormade Sim2 22.5
  • 5-P - In Transition
  • 50/54/58 - Titlest SM 8
  • Putter(s) - Ping Vault Voss / Ping Milled Anser / Odyssey Tour Black series #8 / Ping Vault 2 B60 / Scotty Cameraon Newport 2 Button Back  (I HAVE ISSUES WITH PUTTERS!!!!!)

So what cnosil says that Ping app measure " arc" is really rotation of the putter head  then the  Ping app  isnt really that accurate.

the putter path may be going straight but rotating and PIng says that "arc " stroke

Has any one use the other method to measure path/rotation  more accurately? 

My preference is  toe hang putter and Im curious to know how much arc and rotation I really have

9 hours ago, Haro said:

So what cnosil says that Ping app measure " arc" is really rotation of the putter head  then the  Ping app  isnt really that accurate.

the putter path may be going straight but rotating and PIng says that "arc " stroke

Has any one use the other method to measure path/rotation  more accurately? 

My preference is  toe hang putter and Im curious to know how much arc and rotation I really have

It is accurate for what it measures.  It measures closing angle which is the measure of how much it rotates from the end of the backswing to impact and impact angle which is how much open or closed the face is at impact.  So you can accurately get that from the ping app.   The assignment of arc is because paths that have less arc should have less rotation to keep the putter square to the path and those with strong arc need more rotation to keep the putter square to the path.   

Ultimately it doesn't matter how much arc or how much rotation you have with your putter;  it will change when you pick up a new putter with different design characteristics.  Your path bias (left or right) will influence how things as well;  if you are left biased you need a putter that stays slighly open to the path and if you are right biased you need one that is closed to the path.   Your goal is to match arc, path bias, and rotation up to get the best results.   You will typically see more arc the farther you stand from the ball.   You need to find a putter that has the right properties to allow to maximize your chances of starting the ball online.  If you change putter characteristics,  it changes how it rotates.  You can have 2 putters that have the exact same toe hang but are different weights and they will perform differently.  The best way to measure is by doing startline drills to see if they match up.  Roll the ball down a narrow yardstick, putt through gates, etc.   If you want specific numbers you need to look at Puttlab, Capto, Quintic, or other similar systems.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I was fitted at Ping HQ in 2017.  They used the Ping App.  71º lie angle, 4º loft, slight arc and fitted into their Sigma G Doon face-balanced mallet putter.  I love this putter.  Time to regrip.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I’m will schedule a putter fitting  It will interesting what it may show. I know I do like putters with toe hang   The more toe hang the better feel for me    Just looking at the collection of my putters . I tend to be consistent with putter than are moderate toe hang 

Edited by Haro

On 10/22/2020 at 3:02 PM, cnosil said:

Accuracy in what way? It measures rotation, tempo, and shaft info and provides a recommendation based on the programmed algorithm. Assuming that you set it up correctly it is accurate for what it provides.

I'm curious if anyone has used the app then had a fitting with a pro and how they compared.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

This is interesting. I've never been fitted for a putter. Bought a used Scotty off of ebay about 7 years ago and have been using that since. Seems like it works well, but now I think I may be missing out. Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x

the last 4 years i have played a mallet (FB corza ghost and now LV stroke lab) with SBST motion as that seems to give me the most success. Maybe a putter fitting will help me with consistency. Would be interesting to see what the results would be.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 10/27/2020 at 1:35 PM, MattWillGolf said:

I'm curious if anyone has used the app then had a fitting with a pro and how they compared.

I used the app on a variety of putters ranging from strong arc (#9), to slight arc (EVNROLL ER2, EXO 7s), and SBST (Spider, various mid mallets). The "arc" rating on iPING trended toward the putter type. With the #9, my arc was on the boundary between slight and strong arc in the app. With the face balanced mallets, the apps had my swing closer to the line between SBST and slight arc. I chased "Putting Handicap" numbers on the app to minimal improvement in my putting and compared 5 or 6 putters that I gamed in 2019. Some worked well on the course and some didn't.

At this point I stopped using the app, I could better assess performance on aim/start line by hitting balls down a steel ruler for short putts and tracking results. Long putts are best assessed on a putting green or the golf course. 

I had a putting lesson using a FB mallet using the CAPTO putting system which provides similar data to SAM Puttlab. It showed my path had normal/slight arc on the way back with a push stroke through the ball and out across the target line and a closed face making a draw stroke. So I have a slight arc on the backswing but less on the follow through which is in line with IPING... But everyone has an arc as @cnosilmentioned...

I had an old-school visual putter fitting in 2018 which used the iPING app and was fit into the #9 because my stroke "looked good" and "flowed" with a strong arc putter on a small indoor green. The #9 worked well on lags but was always a struggle to line up and make 4-6 footers which led to retiring it as anything outside 2 feet was a challenge. The recommendations for lie angle are helpful from the app. Loft has to incorporate the speed of greens as much any slight forward press that comes from an app based on delivered shaft lean. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0