Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Graphite Shafts for Irons that Compare Best to Nippons

GolfDuck

I am searching for a new set of irons, and was originally planning on getting a set with Nippon (Modus3 Tour 105s or NS Pro 950s) shafts. Just before making a purchase I had some new pain and soreness (59) that have led me to decide I should get graphite shafts in whatever new iron set I get. I love the Nippon shafts I previously mentioned, so if anyone knows any graphite shafts comparable (especially relating to getting a mid to high launch) to those please let me know.

For reference my swingspeed is about 95 with my driver and low 80s with my 7 iron, I have a long, smooth swing and am presently about an 8 hdcp. I am probably getting a set of new irons that has stronger lofts (mainly looking at Mavriks, Mavrik Pros,and  Honma 747Ps) that usually seem to produce lower launch angles and less spin. I usually hit my irons (old Srixon I302s with Rifle 5.5s) with a mid launch/flight and that has worked well with those Srixons, but I should probably get shafts that help get the ball a little higher with the new irons I will purchase.   

From my first research I am presently intrigued by: UST Mamiya Recoil shafts; TT Project X Catalyst shafts (definitely the most available with the Mavrik irons); the Aerotech SteeelFiber FC shafts; and the Honma Vizard shafts (since they are easily found with the 747Ps).  Please let me know what you think of the graphite shafts I have mentioned or if you have other possibilities for me to consider. Be safe and have a great day!

Edited by GolfDuck

Driver - 10* SMT Nemesis

# Metal - Orlimar 13* 

Hybrids - Wishon 

Irons - Srixon I-302s

Putter - Odyssey Two-Ball 

Balls - Snell MTB Black & MTB-X, Bridgestone BX 

I am searching for a new set of irons, and was originally planning on getting a set with Nippon (Modus3 Tour 105s or NS Pro 950s) shafts. Just before making a purchase I had some new pain and soreness (59) that have led me to decide I should get graphite shafts in whatever new iron set I get. I love the Nippon shafts I previously mentioned, so if anyone knows any graphite shafts comparable (especially relating to getting a mid to high launch) to those please let me know.
For reference my swingspeed is about 95 with my driver and low 80s with my 7 iron, I have a long, smooth swing and am presently about an 8 hdcp. I am probably getting a set of new irons that has stronger lofts (mainly looking at Mavriks, Mavrik Pros,and  Honma 747Ps) that usually seem to produce lower launch angles and less spin. I usually hit my irons (old Srixon I302s with Rifle 5.5s) with a mid launch/flight and that has worked well with those Srixons, but I should probably get shafts that help get the ball a little higher with the new irons I will purchase.   
From my first research I am presently intrigued by: UST Mamiya Recoil shafts; TT Project X Catalyst shafts (definitely the most available with the Mavrik irons); the Aerotech SteeelFiber FC shafts; and the Honma Vizard shafts (since they are easily found with the 747Ps).  Please let me know what you think of the graphite shafts I have mentioned or if you have other possibilities for me to consider. Be safe and have a great day!

The general answer you are going to get is go hit those shafts to see how they work for you. Recoil and Steelfiber lines seem to be the most popular, you just need to find the model that works for you. I don’t think you would go wrong with any of the shafts you mentioned.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

21 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The general answer you are going to get is go hit those shafts to see how they work for you. Recoil and Steelfiber lines seem to be the most popular, you just need to find the model that works for you. I don’t think you would go wrong with any of the shafts you mentioned.

Thank you cnosil! I am trying to get the chance to hit with these shafts, but it is very hard for me  to find someone local who has the right clubhead and shaft for some of the combinations I mentioned. 

Driver - 10* SMT Nemesis

# Metal - Orlimar 13* 

Hybrids - Wishon 

Irons - Srixon I-302s

Thank you cnosil! I am trying to get the chance to hit with these shafts, but it is very hard for me  to find someone local who has the right clubhead and shaft for some of the combinations I mentioned. 

That is the problem we all face. Hard to find all the combinations. One option is to reshaft a club and see how it works.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

That is the problem we all face. Hard to find all the combinations. One option is to reshaft a club and see how it works.

I agree, and with that in mind I am not afraid to make an educated guess as to which iron and shaft might work best for me. If I can't find that combo to hit, but can find a good used set, I will purchase a set, and possibly experiment after the fact if needed. I could use the wisdom of some of our members to help me get a better idea of what might work for me. Thanks again! 

Edited by GolfDuck

Driver - 10* SMT Nemesis

# Metal - Orlimar 13* 

Hybrids - Wishon 

Irons - Srixon I-302s

I gamed the Nippon 950GH for a long time and loved them.  Switched to Project X LZ shafts and after about a month developed elbow pain that wouldn't go away while playing these shafts.  After taking the winter off from golf I went back to the 950GH and the pain never returned so I wouldn't rule out the Nippons. 

The closest shaft I have found to the 950GH in graphite is the Recoil 780 and might as well get the SmacWrap version for more dampening.  Both very smooth and responsive but if I recall the Nippon launched higher and had more spin.  

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

13 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I gamed the Nippon 950GH for a long time and loved them.  Switched to Project X LZ shafts and after about a month developed elbow pain that wouldn't go away while playing these shafts.  After taking the winter off from golf I went back to the 950GH and the pain never returned so I wouldn't rule out the Nippons. 

The closest shaft I have found to the 950GH in graphite is the Recoil 780 and might as well get the SmacWrap version for more dampening.  Both very smooth and responsive but if I recall the Nippon launched higher and had more spin.  

Thank you Wedgie! I have a hard time completely excluding/ignoring the Nippons when I see a good deal, so if one should come up I will definitely still consider it.   

Driver - 10* SMT Nemesis

# Metal - Orlimar 13* 

Hybrids - Wishon 

Irons - Srixon I-302s

I would also add the KBS TGI iron shafts to the mix. Out of all the graphite I have hit these are the closest I have found to paying steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Aerotech Steelfibre, PX Catalyst and KBS TGi are all relatively stout playing graphite shafts with a pretty firm profile. Those are nice options, if you come from a shaft like DG, PX and LZ or even a Modus 125. They will feel firmer (but still offer more vibration dampening properties) than NIPPON 950. As already mentioned by Wedgie, UST Recoils would be close in feel compared to Nippons 950 Pros. 780 SmacWrap would be a good option or the taper tip 95, if you prefer that weight range. 

Another option could be ACCRA shafts with their iSeries. They play slightly firmer than Recoils, but not as stout as PX Catalyst, Steelfibre or KBS Graphites.

Cheers,

Michael

Not sure how they compare with Nippons, but I switched from Ping G30s with the stock steel stiff shaft to Mizuno HMs with the Recoil 95 stiff, and have been happy with the results. I was also having some pain issues related with arthritis in my hands, and the graphite has helped a lot.

I've been playing the modus 105s for the last 3 years. Really just love that shaft. Right now I'm doing the forum test for the Wilson D7 Forged irons, I got them with the Recoil 110's. For me they feel and perform near identical. Same load /release and action. I played the 105's in stiff and got the Recoils in their F4(stiff flex). Great shafts both. 20200915_135109.jpg.ebdcb8c9a33f6fb4461ac5ceb713509b.jpg

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

• 2 weeks later...

Another option would be the MMT shafts, they have a mesh tip for stability.

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

• 10 months later...

I haphazardly made the switch from my all-time favorite shafts (950GH) to graphite shafts. I picked by weight, so Accras in the 95 gram shaft category. I have noticed they are a bit tip stout for my liking and now have been on a quest to find the closest graphite iron shaft to the 950GH. Its hard to use any sort of info produced by each shaft manufacturer for any sort of comparison purposes. So what I did was take the titleist shaft comparison tool because at least it is based on measurements all taken by Titleist

What you will see here is if you just happen to think Recoil 95s will be comparable because they are in the same weight class as the 950GH, if you look at the profiles, they are drastically different in Tip Frequency measurement. The Recoils are much more tip stiff than the 950GH. The closest that i have found so far that will be similar in profile to the 950GH is the Tensei AV Blue AM2. Now, the weights are different, so they are not exactly the same, but they are the closest i could find in a graphite shaft with comparable butt and tip frequency. 

image.png.485eaca46e348ea252eabf3b7099c3fd.png

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

For smooth swings you probably want the recoil shafts in 95 f4 based on speed, you could go 110 if you like a heavier shaft. Other options would be Mitsubishi’s tensei av white, mmt. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I played the Modus 105 for two years, it was a great shaft. But at 64 I'm in the same boat as you with joint pain. I have access to a fitting room and tried several shafts, in the same two heads.  I hit thousands of shots spread out over several weeks, recording each session for comparison at the end. Noting swing speed, smash, spin, launch angle, peak height, and most importantly to me, dispersion, both side to side, and front to back, and feel because I wanted a softer feeling smash. I kept going back to the UST Recoil 460 ESX in F3. The distance control with these was second to none.

The shaft performed the best of the graphite's I tested for both dispersion and feel. It was ultra consistent week to week. And it tested better than any of the steel shafts I tried including the Modus 105. The only drawback was a higher launch. I ended up having the heads bent 1 deg strong to get the launch back down and that solved it for me.
I typically swing a 7 iron about 82-83 mph and found the Recoils felt about a half step stiffer than they were listed. The F3 felt great, but the F4 was slightly too stiff for my swing speed. The torque is 4.7 but feels much less when hitting them. And even at 65 grams the shafts are weighted with a lower balance point to help replace steels without having to resort to drastic measures to achieve the same swing weight as before. Never regret the change and love my clubs even more now. Hope this helps.

PDW_LOGO_SML.png.befadb4d9b7e9ff83a65acb4f6c62bc5.png

I've been using UST SmacWraps for 5 years and love them. I'd suggest a visit to Club Champion or a local pro shop (not a big box store, as you'll probably end up with an ex-hamburger flipper) and hit different graphite's until you find one you  like. I switched because of a tennis elbow, plus added Winn grips.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips