Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Upcoming Most Wanted Driver Testing

fixyurdivot

MGS Most Wanted Driver  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Which OEM's driver in current MGS driver testing has yielded the fastest ball speed for every tester so far?

• Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • PING
    • Callaway
    • XXIO
    • Mizuno
    • Srixon
    • PXG
    • Cobra
    • Tour Edge
    • Honma
    • Wilson
    • Inesis
    • Other

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

That said, one of the things I think is interesting when digging into MW Driver data is just how similar in the aggregate most of the mainstream drivers are. If you take a look at the data page, the longest carry distance in the data set is the Stealth+, at 233.8.

There are 19(!) other drivers within 5 yards of that number. A lot of the drivers outside that range are specialty drivers (super lightweight, or draw biased, etc.).

... One of the things Ian at TXG says over and over again when the numbers are pretty close is "And that could just be the difference in the strike." We have said over and over again the MGS test is a great starting point and can help point you in the right direction but I doubt anyone will find the exact same results because as the test because there are so many factors involved from differences in swings to simple personal preference. One guy will love a loud explosive driver and the next love a muted, dense sounding driver. One fights spin and the next needs more spin. Etc, etc. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Just now, chisag said:

... One of the things Ian at TXG says over and over again when the numbers are pretty close is "And that could just be the difference in the strike." We have said over and over again the MGS test is a great starting point and can help point you in the right direction but I doubt anyone will find the exact same results because as the test because there are so many factors involved from differences in swings to simple personal preference. One guy will love a loud explosive driver and the next love a muted, dense sounding driver. One fights spin and the next needs more spin. Etc, etc. 

Yep, Crossfield always emphasizes the same thing as well: if the data between clubs overlaps, then there isn't much of a discernable difference in performance of the club itself.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

For those new here, a standard clarification: I don't have any role at the testing facility. I've never met the guys there, and I'm not part of MW testing of anything. I just sit in my office here in Michigan's UP and help keep the discussions on track on the Forum 🙂

That said, one of the things I think is interesting when digging into MW Driver data is just how similar in the aggregate most of the mainstream drivers are. If you take a look at the data page, the longest carry distance in the data set is the Stealth+, at 233.8.

There are 19(!) other drivers within 5 yards of that number. A lot of the drivers outside that range are specialty drivers (super lightweight, or draw biased, etc.).

I might be wrong in my understanding of things, then, but I think among the mainstream drivers, the margins are really, really tight. If (and again, I want to make clear I have absolutely zero knowledge of the spec issue with PING), the G425 was sent last year with a marginal shaft (in other words, something outside the fat part of the bell curve, e.g., super high launch or super low spin), it could definitely send a specific head tumbling down a tightly-bunched board.

Great point Patrick. I stated above that we all should keep in mind just how small the margins are between most of the drivers tested.  This is pretty much the same for most club category tests each year.  That a particular driver offers a few yards more carry or even out of the rough a couple more times/round will, in all likelihood for the vast majority, make no difference on the scorecard. 

Getting we consumers all spooled up and picking the proverbial "fly dung out of the pepper" in the differences is what the OEM's count on.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

On 2/23/2022 at 5:46 AM, greggarner said:

Unfortunately, this will probably only get sorted by swing speed and not club delivery. I don't care at all about someone's swing mechanics, mostly because neither does the ball. The only thing that matters is club delivery. Swing speed is only one component and arguably the least important. Someone swinging 110 mph, 8 degrees in to out, with a face slightly closed to path, and an attack angle at +5 is going to be supremely unrelatable to someone swinging 110, 0.5 out to in, with a slightly open face, and a -1 AoA. Sure, they both swing 110, but there is ZERO chance they should use the same driver. 

If we were gonna get "tester profiles" with the data, I'm looking at path and face angle first, then dynamic loft vs static loft tested, then AoA. If I needed a tie-breaker, swing speed. But also I'm not buying a driver based on a blog post, sooooooooo 🤣

According to Ping fitting charts, AoA is how you decide what launch and spin is optimal based on your ball speed. So it seems fairly important considering MGS decided to use it as a filter... Definitely more valuable than handicap. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

On 2/22/2022 at 11:03 AM, Thin2win said:

change of topic. Looking at the data page, and selecting the "accuracy & forgiveness" tab. I am looking at % straight and % playable.  both numbers are .xx

is our best guess that this is a formatting issue and they didn't move the decimal. I.E. if it says percent of straight shot is .72 % it really should just be read a 72%?

image.png.1bb2c8e8b0d884c2095fd0e22d984fe8.png

I presume it to be the latter, otherwise, we really, really need upgrade the tester pool 😆.  Have you had an opportunity to test any of the drivers against your SIM2? I'd love to see the driver version of your recent ball testing.  @dlow206said he can supply the arrows 👍.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I presume it to be the latter, otherwise, we really, really need upgrade the tester pool 😆.  Have you had an opportunity to test any of the drivers against your SIM2? I'd love to see the driver version of your recent ball testing.  @dlow206said he can supply the arrows 👍.

I have only hit the Cobra LDX, probably since into some drivers next month

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV