Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Practice Putting Green VS. Driving Range

seemoreputters

How much do you practice and when you do practice where do you spend your time?  More driving range than putting green??  More putting green than driving range? 50/50.....

Any SeeMore putter

I have 3 putting mats in my basement but the longest is 13 feet and the others are 6 and 8.

They're flat with no breaks so it's just straight shorter putts.

I'm not a member at a course and my local range doesn't really have a putting green so it's mostly irons.

Occasionally I'll go to a place farther away to get some putting practice in and split my time 50/50 with the range there.

I wish I could do it more since it's one of the weaker parts of my game.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I practice short game and putting and don’t do much driving range.  probably a 90/10  ratio of short game and putting to range time.   Has been mostly short game stuff over the past couple of years but my putting is suffering so I have been getting back to about 50/50 short game/putting.  Practice shot game about 3-4 hours a week. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I practice short game the most because I can practice that at home. Putting would be second for the same reason. The driving ranges in general have crappy balls so it does not do much good other than see direction.  I prefer to play full practice rounds out on the course. Sometime play two balls and play worst ball. Real conditions help to hone in your skills more in my opinion.  If practicing at home either on a simulator or in the yard working on the short game, I would guess a few hours a week.   

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I like going to the practice green and probably do that more than anything. As I can do it for free and it has a lower time commitment. I am not sure it is helping though. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

As of right now I am re-tooling my swing (no.....really, this time I'm committed haha) so I hit balls either on a range or into my net most every day ranging anywhere from 20 minutes to 1.5 hours. I think I have missed one day out of the last 12 days and probably 4 days total out of the last month. As for putting and short game, that gets a lot less attention at the moment. I think I have had a dedicated practice around putting once in the last month and it probably lasted 15 minutes. But, my full swing is in total disarray so I may be the wrong person to ask and, frankly, if my short game lacks a little touch and my putting is a bit wonky....I can still enjoy my round. If I can't hit the center of the clubface consistently then I don't even really want to play golf. Just my two cents. Probably just random but this weekend when I played my putting was unbelievable. I didn't miss any putts inside 7 feet (which never happens) and had no 3 putts. 

When my golf swing is not undergoing major surgery, I think practicing 40-70 yd wedge shots is one of my favorite practice items. (1) because it is valuable and (2) there is a good, positive feedback loop from solid strike and landing on the green. I practice putting mostly on a metal yardstick and I tried to get really into practicing putting every day for a while a year ago and it never stuck. I have just never figured out a way to make practicing putting "fun". It feels the most like work out of all the areas of my game. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

4 hours ago, seemoreputters said:

How much do you practice and when you do practice where do you spend your time?  More driving range than putting green??  More putting green than driving range? 50/50.....

I think most on the driving range, there I practice my swing is the worst of all then pitching, chipping and putting is about the same maybe putting slightly better. On driving range for example I hit about 5 balls to the 50 metre from P and 48° and 54° 58°, about 10 balls to the 75 and the 100 metre with 9 and P and 48° and 54°, the remaining material and balls I use for hitting beyond 100 metre. for 1€ we get a 25-30 balls. Sometimes I also have free balls and hit a bit more. If I have a lot of time and sense I still go to chipping a 20balls strokes then still feel good I finish with putting a 15 putts do. Sometimes I only do chipping and putting. In a normal week I go 1 to 2 times practice and 1 to 2 times in the week I play on the course. Now when it is longer light I go on the course and sometimes play 5 to 9 holes, I find that much more interesting than the driving range or chipping and putting area, gets a lot more feel and skill more match situation imitation

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

:taylormade-small:Redline Monte Carlo, Face Balanced, Grip:garsen: max

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

:wilson_staff_small: D9: 5 en PW; KBS Max Ultralight steel

:taylormade-small: Stealth F.W.7 21° and F.W.3 15° ventus red 5 regular

:taylormade-small: TP5: :vice: Pro plus

Garmin: Vivoactive 4

:nike-small: Air max 90

One hour pre-round, 30-40 minutes at range, mostly short game half shots, several sand shots, 3-10 drivers, long irons.

20-30 minutes at putting green, most putting but usually a dozen or so chip and run shots.

Evenings, I'll go on the course and actually practice pitch/chip and run on several greens.

The above is minimally 4 days per week, more if playing additional days.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Two buckets on the range and an hour on the putting green. Now my routine a few days a week before I head to my office. 

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

1 hour ago, Jmikecpa said:

Two buckets on the range and an hour on the putting green. Now my routine a few days a week before I head to my office. 

Nice that your office is next to the golf course.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Nice that your office is next to the golf course.   

Course is quick five minute drive for me from the office. Closer if I am over on the backside of the track. 

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

14 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

an hour on the putting green😐😮

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

6 hours ago, Christof said:

an hour on the putting green😐😮

Throw in the AirPods, put on some 90’s country and roll putts. Main reason I went from average at putting to pretty darn good. Some nights I also roll putts at home on the mat. There is something to this practice thing I have been hearing all about. 

WITB 2024

15 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Throw in the AirPods, put on some 90’s country and roll putts. Main reason I went from average at putting to pretty darn good. Some nights I also roll putts at home on the mat. There is something to this practice thing I have been hearing all about. 

For me, it's not country, but more dance-house music-Hip Hop-latin. Also have 3-metre putter mat at home and mirror did improve putting. On the putting green, I spend maybe 15 to max 30min on a 15 to 20 putts, that's all I do and I always do the most difficult puts, up or down or slant or a mix.

On 4/25/2023 at 2:48 PM, seemoreputters said:

100% driving range for me. Unless the course doesn't have one. 

I know I have said it before in some of your threads, but putting is a big strength of mine. I am annoyingly confident with putting and it isn't that I don't feel the need to practice, but more with the changeable conditions I often play in (rain, wind, sun and everything else) green speeds change throughout the round and I have to rely on feel and touch. I have found that letting my natural stroke and paying attention to playing partners putts is more useful then spending time on a practice green that is often not similar to the course. 

The range is where I need to make the most improvements and where I need to work on my game and therefore it is where I will spend 95% of my practice time. 

If I am to practice putting it will be at home with my puttout. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

There are 3 driving ranges that I currently utilize.

Driving Range A is 5 minutes from my office and good for hitting a quick bucket, but no practice area for putting.

Driving Range B is on the drive to or from the office. It has a par 3 course but no practice area for putting.

Driving Range C is 10 minute from home and has a full practice facility, including chipping and putting greens. When I practice here, I mix in time working on the short game and putting. 

On days I play, if the course has a range, I like to hit 15-20 balls to loosen up. Followed by 10-15 minutes of rolling putts to get a feel for the speed. 

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

3 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

I could do without the country but I like the routine.   The great thing about RNK practice greens is that they have some slope so you can definitely work on green reading skills too.  

I practice on the driving range more than anything else, by a substantial margin.  The quality of my ball-striking is the biggest contributor (or detractor) to the scores I shoot.  I occasionally will practice putting, maybe a few distance-control drills or practice holing shorter (8feet or less) putts, but my putting stroke is the most consistent part of my game.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Lord do I hate the driving range. I'll only go when something needs worked out. Once I start finding the center of the club face, and seeing the shot I want I lose interest really fast so I'll just stop. Also it doesn't help that ranges near me are up to $12 a bucket and I can play 9 for $15-$17 still on a weeknight. I'd rather practice the full shots out on the course when it's not crowded. hit multiple clubs off the tee, try different shot shapes into greens, drop balls at 100/75/50 and play them up, etc. I will get a warm up basket if the course has a nice range though.

I have a 4x10 Birdie Ball mat at home and there's a few executive courses by me that have small but nice practice greens. I will also visit those to chip and putt throughout the season. 

So the division is probably 80/20 towards short game. And the practice time is not nearly what it should be. But I'm doing enough to stick at my hcp, which is all I can ask for.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I really enjoy short game and getting some swings in on the range. As of late, I’m having a hard time staying engaged with putting with intention for more than 20 minutes.

I might need to look up some more drills other than the clock to keep it more “interesting”. I’m definitely missing way too many 3-4 foot putts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Lord do I hate the driving range. I'll only go when something needs worked out. Once I start finding the center of the club face, and seeing the shot I want I lose interest really fast so I'll just stop. Also it doesn't help that ranges near me are up to $12 a bucket and I can play 9 for $15-$17 still on a weeknight. I'd rather practice the full shots out on the course when it's not crowded. hit multiple clubs off the tee, try different shot shapes into greens, drop balls at 100/75/50 and play them up, etc. I will get a warm up basket if the course has a nice range though.

I have a 4x10 Birdie Ball mat at home and there's a few executive courses by me that have small but nice practice greens. I will also visit those to chip and putt throughout the season. 

So the division is probably 80/20 towards short game. And the practice time is not nearly what it should be. But I'm doing enough to stick at my hcp, which is all I can ask for.

$12 per bucket cost? how many balls do you get? those are TP5 or PROV1 range balls?

8 hours ago, SteveLo said:

I really enjoy short game and getting some swings in on the range. As of late, I’m having a hard time staying engaged with putting with intention for more than 20 minutes.

I might need to look up some more drills other than the clock to keep it more “interesting”. I’m definitely missing way too many 3-4 foot putts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can use a mirror and gate. Mirror is well and also if you have a putter mat at home with the Pressure Putt Trainer from
puttout.golf. the gate I don't use, just for putting the mirror against it.

Golfmat en traings maetriaal .jpg

14 minutes ago, Christof said:

$12 per bucket cost? how many balls do you get? those are TP5 or PROV1 range balls?

Lol I know. That was a medium bucket so about 75 balls. Most were Mizuno practice balls, with some Pinnacle and worn out real balls mixed in.

Take Dead Aim

3 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Lol I know. That was a medium bucket so about 75 balls. Most were Mizuno practice balls, with some Pinnacle and worn out real balls mixed in.

Yes $12=10.94 euros for 75 balls is pretty expensive, probably you are paying the brand name of the balls they use there or the driving range. I pay 1€ for about 25-30balls are not branded balls. There are club in Belgium the more expensive pricier clubs the driving range balls are free. Goes registration money and membership fee 2x to..... of where I am a member.

9 minutes ago, Christof said:

Yes $12=10.94 euros for 75 balls is pretty expensive, probably you are paying the brand name of the balls they use there or the driving range. I pay 1€ for about 25-30balls are not branded balls. There are club in Belgium the more expensive pricier clubs the driving range balls are free. Goes registration money and membership fee 2x to..... of where I am a member.

Wow 1 Euro for a warm up bucket seems pretty good, that's at least $4 or $5 around here. When I've been lucky to have access to private clubs the range balls are always included. And they are at the better public courses, but those are the ones you're probably spending at least $65 on a weekend to play.

Take Dead Aim

23 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Wow 1 Euro for a warm up bucket seems pretty good, that's at least $4 or $5 around here. When I've been lucky to have access to private clubs the range balls are always included. And they are at the better public courses, but those are the ones you're probably spending at least $65 on a weekend to play.

Yes 1€ is still serious there are also places where you have to pay 2-3€ for 30 balls or get less, I think son ball machine is very profitable in some clubs. yes in Belgium we don't have private or public courts at least not that I know of. I don't know if it can be explained properly. I play at Witbos is the name of the club where I am a member, you pay registration and membership fees for the first year and only membership fees for the second year. At your home club you can use the course and practical part for free, if I want to play at another club we have to pay green fees both for the course and the practical part, I think Belgium hardly anyone does, it's quite expensive. Unless you come with a whole group of 20-40 people then you get the 10-20€ discount. If I stop now at Witbos stop and go to other club I have to pay registration and membership fees again at the new club. I stop at the end of 2023 and in 2024 I can't play golf, either paid a fee think 80€ you are sleeping member, if you haven't done that now and want to go back to golf in 2025 you pay back registration fee and membership fee. i think for my age the registration fee is 655€/person and membership fee 1050€ + Federation card 63€. we are a 13 holes club. I hope you understand a bit. have tried to be as brief as possible.

This is an easy one for me.. over the last 6-8 months, I have visited the range maybe 10 times. I could used some more range time, but I hit the driver and irons decent. nothing to write home about and my buddies out drive me all of the time. BUT.. i scored better because.....

I chipped and putt 3 times a week at the practice area. This has improve my short game and confidence 1000%.  I don't worry about missing a green because I have super confidence that I can give my self a chance at chipping or save par or save a bogey. 

There has to be a balance between the 2, but I still feel is should be 70% short game, 30% everything else.

IMO.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing 2024)
3 -Wood Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag
TESTING: Terra Forza Shaft  - 

I personally, hit the driving range on practice days when I don't play for about an hour, and the putt for close to an hour if I can. I've really seen significant growth in my putting recently by changing to y old putter which suits me better, oddly enough. But I'd say it should be close to 50/50 at least for me because I need constant reassurance of my strengths and weaknesses in these areas.

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDX LS 9.0* at 10* w/ Tensei AV Raw White Stiff

3 Wood: :cobra-small: F9 14.5* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

4 Hybrid: :taylormade-small:SIM Max 21* w/ :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7S stock

Irons 4-pw: :mizuno-small: JPX900 Forged 5-pw w/ KBS Tour Regular

Wedge 48*: :cleveland-small: CBX Ripcore 3 w/ Catalyst Spinner 80 wedge flex

Wedges 52* & 56*: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 chrome w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S200 

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Anser 2

Ball: Kirkland Signature

Bag: :callaway-small: Chev bag