Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Is Golf's Dress Code Outdated?

7 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

There are "joggers" made from dress pant material, with a fly and belt loops that are by no means "sweat pants" (I have a pair from Eddie Bauer, and they are not of the "skinny jeans" variety).  They have normal pockets and a fly and I wear a belt with them, like normal dress pants or jeans.  I would wear them for golf at any course where they are allowed, and I think that they look better than many of the current "golf slacks" that are skin tight.

My son is Joggerboy!! He has every high pair of those things ever made I cannot get past the weird little things at the bottom that make them look like sweats to me but in no means do they bother me it's good hearted ribbing at my house as he gets on me for my Dad shoes 🤣🤣

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

11 hours ago, Cade Rousseau said:

I think jeans are completely fine in the right setting (local muni). I just wouldn’t prefer to wear them personally. I wouldn’t by any means freak out if I saw someone wearing them. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you’re swinging your swing and wearing your clothes in comfort! 

I cannot imagine playing golf in jeans but I've seen it a bunch?? I see guys playing Key West GC in August when it's 90° with brutal humidity??? Heck no for me but whatever works for ya

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

38 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

My son is Joggerboy!! He has every high pair of those things ever made I cannot get past the weird little things at the bottom that make them look like sweats to me but in no means do they bother me it's good hearted ribbing at my house as he gets on me for my Dad shoes 🤣🤣

That is what family is for!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

17 minutes ago, Another Steve said:

If you can’t afford to go to walmart and spend $50 on a polo, and a pair of shorts or a pair of pants to play in then you got no business spending $25-50 to play a round of golf in the first place.

Really not trying to start a debate on who should or shouldn't be golfing, and I'm not one to stir the pot,  but I personally have to whole heartedly disagree with this statement.  Some of the most talented athletes in the world honed their skills without having to emulate a brand or style. Specific types of Clothing is not a requirement to play golf. 

I don't think you would do this, but can you actually say you would tell a young or new golfer who is actually really good that they shouldn't play this sport because they didn't meet your standards of attire?

I've shopped tons of thrift stores and goodwill to help ME with clothing choices.  But that was a CHOICE to do so.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

58 minutes ago, Another Steve said:

If you can’t afford to go to walmart and spend $50 on a polo, and a pair of shorts or a pair of pants to play in then you got no business spending $25-50 to play a round of golf in the first place.

I hope that is meant to be a joke, although it is a pathetic attempt at humor. If not, it’s a horribly elitist attitude, and one with which I can never get onboard.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Another Steve said:

Been a long time since I’ve seen a post this absolutely terrible here. I hope I never get paired up with you. 🤡🤡🤡 take. 

Edited by russtopherb

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

There is a difference between not wanting to meet an established dress code and not being able to afford it. My comment shows that if a person can AFFORD to play golf they can ALSO AFFORD at least one set of clothing that that meets the usual dress code. If they cannot afford to invest what amounts to the price one 18 hole round to purchase acceptable clothing then they need to re-think their priorities. If you don’t wanna meet the dress code that a course sets, there are plenty of other courses that have a more “relaxed” dress code. 

Rob, I too have shopped thrift and goodwill stores… only it was out of necessity…. Whats your point?

As for your hypothetical new/young golfer…… IIt has nothing to do with whether they emulate some style or not. We were discussing dress codes….. a courses dress code, not mine.  If it were a matter of them just not being able to play somewhere because their chosen style of dress is unacceptable according to the courses dress code …. Well that’s a tough life lesson…. Life ain’t fair and you don’t always get what you want/earn/deserve….. 

Now, if that same youngster wasn’t an arrogant ass and couldn’t afford a couple shirts and pairs of pants I might just arrange for them to get what they need to help facilitate what might be their big break. 

Edited by Another Steve
To add context that we are discussing a courses dress code and not mine. You can Golf naked for all I care!

1 hour ago, funkyjudge said:

I hope that is meant to be a joke, although it is a pathetic attempt at humor. If not, it’s a horribly elitist attitude, and one with which I can never get onboard.

That was not meant to be a joke, nor was it meant to be elitist…… just a simple observation…. Read second post for more context.

And yes, I do tend to be blunt, saying it as I see it. If that makes someone not want to share a round with me so be it. 

1 minute ago, Another Steve said:

That was not meant to be a joke, nor was it meant to be elitist…… just a simple observation…. Read second post for more context.

And yes, I do tend to be blunt, saying it as I see it. If that makes someone not want to share a round with me so be it. 

I also tend to be both blunt and opinionated, and unapologetic about both. It’s been me for many decades and at age 75 it’s not about to change.

i had already read your second post (as you say, “for context”), and I still find your opinion to be pathetically elitist and exclusionary.

Spoiler

I'd prefer the course to not look like the typical trip to Walmart.

Work-casual isn't such a tough ask. People can say that's elitist, and I really don't give a crap. If a person showed up to a job interview in their pajamas, I wouldn't take into account their preference to feel comfortable. It isn't such a big deal to expect people to dress accordingly with regard to any particular situation.

If not?

Are dudes wearing bikinis or thongs acceptable on the course? Is that a bridge too far? Because to say that rules against wearing a t-shirt or jeans is elitist, then so is it also to say that a dude can't play bareback while wearing just a tutu.

Ridiculous? Yup. The whole debate. If you're against the current limit. Who are you to set the next?

Nothing but a fig-leaf for all. Check.

1 hour ago, funkyjudge said:

I also tend to be both blunt and opinionated, and unapologetic about both. It’s been me for many decades and at age 75 it’s not about to change.

i had already read your second post (as you say, “for context”), and I still find your opinion to be pathetically elitist and exclusionary.

I would really like you to elaborate on why you feel my opinion is elitist and exclusionary. 

Wow - some polarised views!

For me - any dress code (golf or otherwise) is not out-dated in it's fundamental principle, which is in essence and standard of expectation (to eliminate doubt) and a request for respect (in regard to personal interpretation).

It's all about give and take. What we wear (regardless of situation) is a projection of our attitude and our outlook on an occassion. I wouldn't dream of wearing cut-down jeans and a t-shirt to a wedding reception the same as I wouldn't dream of wearing a tuxedo for clearing out the garage. It's all about right attire for the situation - whatever that may be. If it's golf, wear something that looks like you're about to play golf, rather than attending a beach party (as an example). How you interpret that situation is up to you, but how you present says more about your attitude to that situation than you may (or may not) give it due consideration or respect for.

Maybe that's just me because I'm an old fart with a father who was in the miltary. Either way, dress for the occassion - but give due consideration to what your choice for that occassion may affect those around you. If you don't care about those around you - you probably shouldn't be playing golf, or whatever event you're attending.

My 2 cents.

Edited by jaskanski

Where I live (Canberra, Australia) we have 9 courses. 1 I would consider an elite/country club course, 7 are member courses that are open to the public and 1 full municipal public course. 2 courses have a very relaxed dress code.

Our muni gives ZERO F's about dress code. I've seen people playing Barefoot out there 😅

The relaxed members course is comfortable with people playing in whatever they want during social tee times, but everyone will at least wear a collar during comp times. I think this is a good compromise. It makes the barrier to entry lower and less intimidating to new players, but maintains a standard for those who want to take the game seriously. I am a member of this club.

I think fully private/elite courses should have the right to maintain a dress code. It's the club's prerogative to dictate the requirement to being a member of an exclusive club. However I think courses that are open to the public should adopt the dress codes of my club and relax the dress code for social tee times. It is a good compromise and it works well. 

Golf sneaker head

5 hours ago, Another Steve said:

I read and re-read your posts, and adding some context pre or post to your first statement to clarify for that specific thought, perhaps would have been taken less harshly then what I had interpreted it to mean.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Golf like anything else in life is a choice.....if a course has restrictions then it should be followed, if you don't like it then feel free to move along. Most courses I've been on private and public is simple a collared shirt and slacks or shorts, no denim. Honestly when it comes to the tour, I don't care if they can or can't wear shorts, that is a tour leadership decision. In many professions there is some kind of uniform, and that is determined by company leadership. Yes business casual is a uniform 🙃, and people in services industries typically wear uniforms or proper gear for safety, so since the tour is a business guidelines by leadership should be followed and if the players want a change they can push for it if it's that important to them...

Have a great day all and good luck out there and hit'em well! 

msanagustin

8 hours ago, Another Steve said:

Being blunt and being completely wrong are two different things. Guess what? You’re both. Your backpedaling when called out for your elitist exclusionary attitude by multiple posters doesn’t change that. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

13 hours ago, Marlin Dave said:

I cannot imagine playing golf in jeans but I've seen it a bunch?? I see guys playing Key West GC in August when it's 90° with brutal humidity??? Heck no for me but whatever works for ya

I play in jeans exclusively (clean, no rips, of course) during early Spring and in the Fall. All other times are shorts (not cut offs). 😉

8 hours ago, Another Steve said:

I would really like you to elaborate on why you feel my opinion is elitist and exclusionary. 

It is because YOU are establishing what is acceptable attire and what a person should be spending their money on.

Private clubs have the right to set standards and establish rules regarding attire, etc. and I have no problem with that because people have the right to join (or, more accurately to apply for membership), and if the person is accepted as a member it is with the understanding that that person will abide by the rules as set forth. If a person refuses to abide by those established rules, then he or she (or it or they or whatever their chosen pronoun may be) must accept the consequences.

I am basically talking about "public" golf courses. Although many of these public courses have dress codes, I see them being greatly relaxed or modified to reflect the changes in societal norms. Although I am quite conservative in many ways (after all, I am a USMC veteran from the Vietnam War era and my late father died a Colonel in the Air National Guard, after nearly 40 years of service); however, when it comes to dress codes, I am quite libertarian. If the person is not hurting anyone else (and let's not talk about perceived "hurt" or "microaggressions"), then that person should be able to wear what they feel comfortable in when in public, as long as what they are wearing is legal.

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Really not trying to start a debate on who should or shouldn't be golfing, and I'm not one to stir the pot,  but I personally have to whole heartedly disagree with this statement.  Some of the most talented athletes in the world honed their skills without having to emulate a brand or style. Specific types of Clothing is not a requirement to play golf. 

I don't think you would do this, but can you actually say you would tell a young or new golfer who is actually really good that they shouldn't play this sport because they didn't meet your standards of attire?

I've shopped tons of thrift stores and goodwill to help ME with clothing choices.  But that was a CHOICE to do so.

I'm pretty certain the Finau's required Tony wear a collared shirt while hitting balls into (and through) the mattress in the garage. 😆  I doubt anyone on the forum is wanting attire requirements be an impediment to someone being able to afford/play the game.  

My closet and drawers are full of polos and dress shorts purchased at steep discount prices... principally because I'm cheap and think they are WAY overpriced to begin with.  If someone puts in a little effort, I have a hard time believing cost of golf attire would keep them from being able to play. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

13 hours ago, Another Steve said:

It’s very possible that folks that don’t wear golf clothes also choose to play courses where they don’t have to. I’m a member at a private course, and occasionally see someone playing that is not dressed to code. I just feel like that if the staff doesn’t enforce it, it’s not my business. 

55 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm pretty certain the Finau's required Tony wear a collared shirt while hitting balls into (and through) the mattress in the garage. 😆  I doubt anyone on the forum is wanting attire requirements be an impediment to someone being able to afford/play the game.  

My closet and drawers are full of polos and dress shorts purchased at steep discount prices... principally because I'm cheap and think they are WAY overpriced to begin with.  If someone puts in a little effort, I have a hard time believing cost of golf attire would keep them from being able to play. 

Absolutely,  I was only responding to the comment if you can't afford this, you shouldn't do that.  If a person in that situation was in fact able to play at a course that enforced a specific dress code, there are multiple ways to make that happen for them. I just think excluding them from playing (In  General) because of their current wardrobe is wrong 

Edited by Rob Person

Just now, bens197 said:

Would it be a bad time to ask some people here if they believe music should be allowed on a golf course?…

LMAO

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Would it be a bad time to ask some people here if they believe music should be allowed on a golf course?…

Iam a music freak but the golf course is not the place for it although I have played plenty of solo rounds with air pods in my ears with music

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

54 minutes ago, bens197 said:

bring it on.... I can say, "time and place" and as long as it isn't loud enough for other groups to hear it. Definitely not in competition, (so back to time and place) 

committed to performance excellence

Yes, I agree. There should be some etiquette in golf. You can get away with blue jeans as long as it's a decent pair. As for shirts, I prefer collars if it's a decent golf type of t-shirt. Yes, not so many really so much written all over it. It's supposed to

Stephen Wolf    Driver TaylorMade QI 10 Max 12.0 Mitsubishi Diamani S+ (Gen5) 60

3 Wood TaylorMade Qi10 Fairway HL Fujikura Speeder NX TCS

5 Wood TaylorMade Stealth 2 Fujikura Air Speeder NX 50 shaft

7Wood TaylorMade Stealth 2 Fujiura Air Speeder NX 50 shaft

9 Wood QI 10 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue shaft

Hybrid 5 TaylorMade Stealth Fujikura Air Speeder 50 Shaft

Qi Irons 6, 7, 8, 9 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue Shafts

TaylorMade Milled grind 4 wedge 48 and 52 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue shafts

56- 60 Wedges TaylorMade Custom Milled Grind 4 Black Wedge Fujikura air speeder 50 shafts

Putter TaylorMade Spider EX Navy Single Bend

It’s not outdated and it doesn’t need to be changed. Not sure if people have looked but golf courses are still pretty full so it’s definitely not keeping anyone from playing golf despite what people want to say.

Golf is still a gentleman’s game, dress like one. Dont like a dress code don’t play there. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, Marlin Dave said:

Iam a music freak but the golf course is not the place for it although I have played plenty of solo rounds with air pods in my ears with music

I’m with @Jim Shaw whose “time & place” comment nailed it.  

Music is awesome and so is golf.  Respect the course, don’t be a nuisance but please for the love, have fun out there.  Life is too short.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

My wife is a Marshall’s/Ross/TJ Maxx fanatic, which also happen to be great places to get golf attire.  Doesn’t have to be expensive to look good on the course.

Just got a Rhoback shirt for a gift and it is nice, but don’t think it is any better than then Under Armour deals that can be found at other stores.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter