MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Had a very enjoyable round today.  Our course is closed for aeration, so we were able to get a couple of tee times at a private country club course.  Hidden Hills.  It's located on the east side of Jacksonville on an inside bend of the St John's river.  I guess geologically, this resulted in some build up of high ground over time.  First time I've ever played true elevation in Florida (as opposed to bulldozer elevation).  Reminded me of the old days up north.

Quality course, been around since the sixties, hosted a tour event or two.  Very comfortable to play, but some difficult and different holes.  Played best since coming back from the back implant surgery, although the score didn't really reflect it.  

• Like 2

Had a very enjoyable round today.  Our course is closed for aeration, so we were able to get a couple of tee times at a private country club course.  Hidden Hills.  It's located on the east side of Jacksonville on an inside bend of the St John's river.  I guess geologically, this resulted in some build up of high ground over time.  First time I've ever played true elevation in Florida (as opposed to bulldozer elevation).  Reminded me of the old days up north.

Quality course, been around since the sixties, hosted a tour event or too.  Very comfortable to play, but some difficult and different holes.  Played best since coming back from the back implant surgery, although the score didn't really reflect it.

It's really nice when we get some elevation that is natural isn't it? We have it over here along an Ridge offf the Gulf. Granted it's 70 feet but you'd be amazed what some architects do with it. Think Copperhead course. Also there is a nice ridge off of the West side of Orlando that can creat 120 foot elevation changes.

I'm playing my sister course tomorrow. It hosted a tour event for about a decade.

I think if my game was represented on a graph it would look like some crazy stock that was up and down in value with crazy peaks and deep troughs. What does one have to do to shoot some consistent numbers that are pleasing to look at.  I think it suffers from multiple personality disorder and none of them are what you might call good.  I managed to rescue todays round shooting 86 when it looked more like it was going to be 90 something.  The back nine thankfully was what saved me and I hit some great shots and made some clutch pars on difficult holes too. Ahhh for some consistency...please :)

I feel your pain!

With my wife out East visiting family and rainy weather, I've been pressed for opportunities to play the past couple of weeks and even lucky to get in a bucket of balls on most days.

Finatlly got a chance to play a round yesterday and it was a real rollercoaster.  No realy "stretch" of good or bad holes and often followed up a great shot with a stinker...  Front 9 consisted of a birdie, 4 pars, a bogey, 2 doubles and and a triple...  Back 9 started par and "Tin Cup" on a par three that carries the water...  (and I generally play the hole at par or bogey), next was a "good bogey" (tee shot went right and behind a tree) followed by another par three where I landed 2 feet from the hole and ended with par...  It was "that kind of day."

Anyway, I pick up my wife at the airport tomorrow and we should get a good stretch of weather starting this weekend.

So I'll try it again ;)

I feel your pain!

With my wife out East visiting family and rainy weather, I've been pressed for opportunities to play the past couple of weeks and even lucky to get in a bucket of balls on most days.

Finatlly got a chance to play a round yesterday and it was a real rollercoaster.  No realy "stretch" of good or bad holes and often followed up a great shot with a stinker...  Front 9 consisted of a birdie, 4 pars, a bogey, 2 doubles and and a triple...  Back 9 started par and "Tin Cup" on a par three that carries the water...  (and I generally play the hole at par or bogey), next was a "good bogey" (tee shot went right and behind a tree) followed by another par three where I landed 2 feet from the hole and ended with par...  It was "that kind of day."

Anyway, I pick up my wife at the airport tomorrow and we should get a good stretch of weather starting this weekend.

So I'll try it again ;)

When my buddy's wife goes with the girls for a few days, I swear he lives at the golf course! It's the only time he has peace and quiet. :)

• Like 2

When my buddy's wife goes with the girls for a few days, I swear he lives at the golf course! It's the only time he has peace and quiet. :)

That was the original plan, but my wife is like "Ellie May Clampett" with her critters and she didn't tell me ducklings were ready to hatch while she was gone this time - lol

Even if we'd had great weather while she was gone, I had extra "chores" to do and the ducklings now need multiple feedings.

• Like 1

Shot 77 at Bardmoor today.  That's spot on my handicap index which is 4.0 at the last revision.  It was an odd round though - I did not drive it well at all and I was playing from a pretty long set of tees.  I putted lights out and hit my irons well so I was able to make a couple of birdies on the back nine.  I also made a 30 footer for bogey on the front and that kept my round together.

• Like 2

74 today at Trump Ferry point from the blues. The course is a great layout and needs to grow in a bit and the greens need to soften as they mature. Having a caddy would have helped with the sight lines off the tee since the cart GPS was really no help at all. Drove it average, hit the irons really well and putted well. Now if I could just shake off the rust from 100 and in I would be onto something. Next up Bethpage Red and Fresh Meadow for the member guest.

• Like 3

JMike I can only dream of playing that well on a course like that.  Have you ever had a round at Beth Page Black.  I rip it up on the X Box so it would be interesting to hear from someone who has been there and done that! :)

JMike I can only dream of playing that well on a course like that.  Have you ever had a round at Beth Page Black.  I rip it up on the X Box so it would be interesting to hear from someone who has been there and done that! :)

I play the Black several times a year with people coming to visit or clients of mine. It is a wonderful place and every bit as tough as you have heard. For me #15 from the tips is the hardest par 4s that I have ever played.

• Like 1

Howd I play? Like garbage. I had 1 hole where it looked like I knew where the ball was going. I literally would've landed on land if I fell out of a boat in the middle of the ocean. Did hit a perfect drive and the exact approach I wanted on 18. Had a 10 footer for eagle. Made birdie. Was a diving putt that broke right at 3 feet. Regardless after the run of good ball striking and putting lately, it went south today. I shanked a putt.

• Like 1

Friday shot 76, played so-so on the front, shot even on the back, could have been better with a few better chips, and some better putting, this was a the course we are playin the inter club on Sunday.

Today on the home course, we were fortunate enough to play on punched and sanded greens, shot an 81, but the issue was not the greens, double 15, double 16, bogey 17, par 18, shot 39-42. Could have been much better.

A little note to self, and hopefully help some others with quick tempers, when your temper flares up, set everything on the ground and walk away for a minute, because if it is in your hands, it going to get thrown or broke, or both, threw the wedge, center of the cart path from 30 yards away, kicked the putter right in half. So had to smooth the wedge out, and replace the putter, and I need to get the broken putter repaired. Moral of the story, stop getting so angry. Broke the putter and the anger had nothing to do with putting, it was just what was in my hands at the time. I am such an idiot sometimes. The quick anger spurts for me are one of the most difficult things to manage, when you grow up around it, and saw it all the time in sports growing up, it is a struggle every time out to control. I have done a very good job in other sports to control this, but for some reason, golf is much more difficult to fix. Sorry for the ramble, sometimes talking about it helps.

• Like 2

jMike did you ever play the Black before the redo?  I haven't played it since but played it before.  Of course some yardage and rough have been added but just imagine those greens with no rough to stop a ball that missed - it would roll, down, down, down and away into garbage all day. :(

• Like 1

Could not get up and down today....shot a 45/50 seemed to skull or chunk my chips today. But had a great Birdie on #3 (par 4)...Enjoyed playing the new ball(duo spin) but just could not execute a decent short game.....getting ready for the Buddy Trip this week. Everybody is excited.

• Like 2

jMike did you ever play the Black before the redo?  I haven't played it since but played it before.  Of course some yardage and rough have been added but just imagine those greens with no rough to stop a ball that missed - it would roll, down, down, down and away into garbage all day. :(

I played the Black a lot before the redesign with relatives that lived in the area. The Black used to be the course nobody wanted to play since the conditions were just terrible and for a lot of the time that was the walk up course at Bethpage. The main design from the original layout is still there but with new tee boxes and some grading on the fairways it plays a heck of a lot different.

• Like 1

Playing like sh*t these days and I hope it doesn't last. I have no idea what I am doing wrong but I'm chucking shots or hitting them thin, my driving is erratic, can go either way on any given drive, my putting has gone down the sh*tter. Last round was a 91. Nothing going good and I've committed to play in a President's cup starting at the end of the month so I've got to get this fixed and fast!

• Like 2

Playing like sh*t these days and I hope it doesn't last. I have no idea what I am doing wrong but I'm chucking shots or hitting them thin, my driving is erratic, can go either way on any given drive, my putting has gone down the sh*tter. Last round was a 91. Nothing going good and I've committed to play in a President's cup starting at the end of the month so I've got to get this fixed and fast!

Some days you are the Bug and some days you are the Windshield.....Today I was the Bug........splat!

• Like 2

Played yesterday at Troon North in Scottsdale though showers and heavy rain on and off. First two holes I lost 4 balls. My driver was giving me fits, mostly because I made a swing change on the range then lost the feel within 25 swings. Course was tight and a few holes ended up firing driver in the fairway only to watch it roll into trees and be gone.Ended up playing well on the back. Had a bunch of pars but couldn't putt real well because the greens were still bumpy from a 2 week old aeration. 

i'd go back there, but want to try out other courses in the area before teeing it up there again.

Had a half decent round today - shot 82.  I say half decent because it was 4 of the last 5 holes that I screwed up today.  I should have shot a 77 but didn't and the thing that pisses me off is I know exactly why I screwed them up and could feel myself doing what I was doing and did it anyway.  One of them was not marking my ball and stepping away and regathering after the first putt.  My head was screaming "mark it STUPID!" the other part of my head was saying "shut up dick head I can do this!" as I watched it horse shoe out of the hole.  On the plus side though it was fun reviewing the JPX ball ;)

Better than Tiger.

Tiger shot 85 - I shot 91  :P Went to the range and had figured out a few things. I realized my hands were behind the ball instead of in front. I also realized I was outof tempo with my driver. So once I got that fixed, I crossed over to the 10th hole on the course, no one was there, and decided to try out my swing. It is a par 5 510 yards dog leg left and than right. Hit a perfect drive with a slight fade to about 215-220 yards, pulled out the hybrid and hit a perfect high baby draw going straight at the flag. Walked over the bunker hill (green is blind and can't see it, only top of flag) and was on the green in 2 with about a 15 foot putt for eagle. Just missed the putt and birdied the hole. 

Called my brother and told him it was back, my swing was back. Went to go play a 9 with my son yesterday. Hole 1, the toughest hole on the course 393 yard par 4. Hit a low hook into the bunker. Hit a nice chip out to about 100 yards ( no way to go for the green in 2) and proceeded to chunk my ball into the pond. Finished with an 8. Here we go again! Go to number 2 par 3 about 145 yards but front pin location made it about 135. Hit the pin and birdied the 2nd. Yes so I thought. Proceeded to bring my mistakes with me the rest of the game. Very discouraged to say the least. 

Going to play a full round today with my brother and my 2 remaining uncles (who are 80 and 74 and can still hit a ball like you wouldn't believe). Hopefully they might have some advice. Can't go on like this.....

• Like 1