Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

What's the worst thing you've ever been told in a golf store?

sp0rtsfan86

Big box stores are getting a bad rap these days. Where else can you go try clubs for free before buying them online, though?

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Big box stores are getting a bad rap these days. Where else can you go try clubs for free before buying them online, though?

That's exactly part of what's killing small shops. Try with no intent to buy. I'd love to see all big box and small shops implement a demo fee. And have it set up where part of that demo fee applies to the purchase. That would get more consumers to buy in stores because they'd "save" what they'd save online when the demo fee was applied. Give it maybe 10 years and you won't see many retailers at all that you can walk in and demo clubs at, they'll close because of freeloaders that go in to beat up their demos and order online. I always try to purchase booth time if they'll let me when demoing clubs.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Actually that's why I've gone to using the indoor LM that's here for my demoing or else to a demo day -

I feel for retailers, big box or small guy - if I'm going to hit something there I'm seriously considering a purchase.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That's exactly part of what's killing small shops. Try with no intent to buy. I'd love to see all big box and small shops implement a demo fee. And have it set up where part of that demo fee applies to the purchase. That would get more consumers to buy in stores because they'd "save" what they'd save online when the demo fee was applied. Give it maybe 10 years and you won't see many retailers at all that you can walk in and demo clubs at, they'll close because of freeloaders that go in to beat up their demos and order online. I always try to purchase booth time if they'll let me when demoing clubs.

Big OEM's killed the small shops with the aid of the big box. People go in and try the stuff, and if they are savvy, they wait six months for it to be closed out, rather than buying immediately online. The product cycles and the "wait and see for the price drop" mentality they have created is their own doing by the OEM's.

Big boxes could afford to carry the $$ amounts of equipment the OEM's wanted them to take on, as they often are part of larger retail holdings versus a mom and pop. And price protectionism practices gave little incentive to people to shop at the "lesser" small stores if the same things could be had at the same prices at the big box with their rows and rows of indoor simulators. (The GG used to be hopping here every weekend. Once the competition was gone, they literally removed the sims.)

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Here's a golf confession posted in the wrong thread -- I don't have any sympathy for B&M stores at all (except for Mmmmmbuddy's shop).   B&M killed green grass, and it is being killed in turn by the internet.  Capitalism is red in tooth and claw.   Adapt or die.   My dollar goes to whomever delivers the most product per buck, regardless of where they sit.  

As things turn out, most of my equipment dollars have been going to just a couple of B&M's thru the marketing channel of ebay:  Globalgolf, 3Balls, 2ndSwing, Will Peoples, Dallasgolf,.  Does this make me pro B&M or anti?   I don't care.

The question that has always bugged me is why don't B&M shops treat their monitors and demo clubs as a potential revenue stream?   (Maybe mmmmbuddy can enlighten us on this subject.)  $10 bucks a club to hit on the range or into a net with no monitor, plus $60 a hour for monitor time.   Does that sound extravagant?   Not to me, I'll pay it.  Is there still fat on the bone for the shop?   I think so.

Anyway, that's what I have been paying -- when I can convince the jamokes at my local store to do it, which is not often.   They act as if it's a supreme inconvenience, they won't take appointments for the monitor and if I tell them I'm not there to buy, they walk away.   Why is this?  Because the rental fee goes to the store, but commissions on sales go to the employee.   Therein lies the crux of the dilemma.   Unless you are talking to the store owner of a small shop, not a chain, the grunts have no interest or motivation to give you service.

One other more savvy driving range has caught on and they actively promote both demo rental and Flightscope time.   And since the new year, I've already paid them $30 in 2015 model demo rentals, with another $30 in range balls.   Damage to clubs tested -- zero.  The other B&M store, with the indoor GC2 has no interest in renting demos, no interest in giving you monitor time unless they can sell you something.   So the monitor and its bay sit empty and dark 95% of the time.   They treat it as your depression-raised grandma treated her living room furniture -- covered in plastic and not to be touched so it will "last longer".   I've talked to them about changing their policies on this, but they tune out.   They're a chain and policies are dictated by corporate.  

On the subject of why these chain store employees pull so many fast ones with their jacked monitors and such, I spent some time in one recently while testing and I got a chance to listen to a bunch of customer interactions.   Most of the guys they get walking in are absolute rubes about equipment.  Easily swayed and carrying the false hope that a new driver will magically pare 8 strokes off their score.   In their position, it would be hard for me not to play to this weakness in pursuit of a quick, lucrative commissioned sale when the other path is so much harder and longer.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I always offer to pay for the time in their booths honestly. And I don't blame stores for implementing the policy to charge for the booths. Why? Lots of people come in, beat up their demo clubs then "go home to think about it", ie scour eBay to save $20.

I would be more than happy to pay if I was on a launch monitor or I getting fitted, and if they told me ahead of time, but that wasn't the case.   Carl's Golfland in Metro Detroit lets customers hit demo clubs for free, but if you want fitting then you pay, that's cool with me.   

I'd prefer to buy in-store if possible, being old (how did I get old so fast?) and stodgy.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

The big box stores don't care if you bear up the Demo's they got them for next to nothing, and at the end of the year they just sell them. Goldsmith has been doing the demo stuff for a very long time. If I had to pay every time I tried a club, I would probably never hit any of the new clubs, and I would probably just go to walmart and buy one of the boxes

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Sales guy from "the pro shop" at DSG that Nike only "makes crap" when I was talking with him about how much I liked the VR Tour driver and their use of the compression channel. He then turns around and tries to sell me on how innovative the RBZ was. While the implementation of tech was different, I felt (at the time) the concepts weren't all that different. Guy talked to me like a five year old. I've not set foot in there since. Sad thing is that place is still open and the GG that Austin had shut down. Now we only have two GS and a couple small resale shops.

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

Here's a golf confession posted in the wrong thread -- I don't have any sympathy for B&M stores at all (except for Mmmmmbuddy's shop). B&M killed green grass, and it is being killed in turn by the internet. Capitalism is red in tooth and claw. Adapt or die. My dollar goes to whomever delivers the most product per buck, regardless of where they sit.

As things turn out, most of my equipment dollars have been going to just a couple of B&M's thru the marketing channel of ebay: Globalgolf, 3Balls, 2ndSwing, Will Peoples, Dallasgolf,. Does this make me pro B&M or anti? I don't care.

The question that has always bugged me is why don't B&M shops treat their monitors and demo clubs as a potential revenue stream? (Maybe mmmmbuddy can enlighten us on this subject.) $10 bucks a club to hit on the range or into a net with no monitor, plus $60 a hour for monitor time. Does that sound extravagant? Not to me, I'll pay it. Is there still fat on the bone for the shop? I think so.

Anyway, that's what I have been paying -- when I can convince the jamokes at my local store to do it, which is not often. They act as if it's a supreme inconvenience, they won't take appointments for the monitor and if I tell them I'm not there to buy, they walk away. Why is this? Because the rental fee goes to the store, but commissions on sales go to the employee. Therein lies the crux of the dilemma. Unless you are talking to the store owner of a small shop, not a chain, the grunts have no interest or motivation to give you service.

One other more savvy driving range has caught on and they actively promote both demo rental and Flightscope time. And since the new year, I've already paid them $30 in 2015 model demo rentals, with another $30 in range balls. Damage to clubs tested -- zero. The other B&M store, with the indoor GC2 has no interest in renting demos, no interest in giving you monitor time unless they can sell you something. So the monitor and its bay sit empty and dark 95% of the time. They treat it as your depression-raised grandma treated her living room furniture -- covered in plastic and not to be touched so it will "last longer". I've talked to them about changing their policies on this, but they tune out. They're a chain and policies are dictated by corporate.

On the subject of why these chain store employees pull so many fast ones with their jacked monitors and such, I spent some time in one recently while testing and I got a chance to listen to a bunch of customer interactions. Most of the guys they get walking in are absolute rubes about equipment. Easily swayed and carrying the false hope that a new driver will magically pare 8 strokes off their score. In their position, it would be hard for me not to play to this weakness in pursuit of a quick, lucrative commissioned sale when the other path is so much harder and longer.

It's your right as a free American to get the best deal possible. Those are your dollars being spent, afterall.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I was in GS near the galleria in Houston and I was looking at lefty wedges. Why? Well, I'm left handed. This happened over the summer...

Me: *admires the amazing stock of 2012 vokey wedges, 2011 Cleveland Wedges and 1 new Cobra wedge...all in 52*, 56* or 60* loft.*

Old Man River Sales Rep: Sir, do you need any help?

Me: No, I'm just looking.

Rep: OK.....*long pause*....do you know that you are in the lefty section?

Me: *blank stare*

Rep: *equally blank stare*

Me: Oh really?

Rep: *sigh of relief* yes sir, if you need a right handed wedge, they're over here

Me: Ok, well I think I'll just buy one of each

Rep: *awkward laugh* sounds great, I'll meet you at the register when you're done

Me: See ya there!

I do appreciate the ability to try out clubs, even if it's just hitting into a net or putting on a synthetic green. B&M stores are struggling with eBay churning out deals/counterfeits.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

It's your right as a free American to get the best deal possible. Those are your dollars being spent, afterall.

Did you get this quote from the Obamacare website?

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Since this thread has wandered off its origins, let me help take it a little further,

I have a Covert 2.0 Tour driver I got off eBay in November for $115. That was almost $100 less than Golfsmiths clearance price. My irons are the original Coverts. I bought them about 5 months ago for $120. That's was $175 less than anywhere else I could find them. Why, might you ask, is this how I get my gear. Easy, I don't make a ton of money.

I love the fact that I can go to Golfsmith and hit any club I want to. Not because I am a rube who thinks my 230-260 drives will magically jump over 300, but because I would like to see how the better half lives. I like I can hit the clubs that I see on tour or on the Golf Channel. I know that the club will NOT make my slice go away. It doesn't matter if Rory handed it to me himself.

What if you could go to the Ferrari dealer and demo a car? Drive the hell out of it for free. Who wouldn't? (Unless you're a Porsche or Lambo fan) I'm a blue collar guy who has a champagne taste and beer wallet. But if I had a chance to drink a small glass of 50 year old scotch, you bet your butt I will.

So speaking for the financially challenged amongst us who have chosen to play the rich mans game, thank you big retailers when melt me dream for free. The demo clubs that are beaten up as demos are right offs for these guys. And even those are put up for sale when the new lines come out. And usually they are bought by guys like me who wished we could buy them new. Doesn't matter how beat up the demo is, my game isn't near good enough for the club to be anything other than a mental boost.

(Quick sidebar: to make myself feel better about using a year or two old clubs, I'll YouTube commercials from when my clubs were brand new and tell myself " Uh huh, I'm using Tiger's and Rory's clubs")

To briefly return this thread to its origins:

Inside a Dicks Sporting Goods: "yes sir, those Noodles on sale are just as good as those Pro V1s"

Inside Golfsmith: " yes sir, a lob wedge reaches out to 160 yds"

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Did you get this quote from the Obamacare website?

What's obamacare?

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. It is golf show week next week, and I have been buried.

Here's a golf confession posted in the wrong thread -- I don't have any sympathy for B&M stores at all (except for Mmmmmbuddy's shop).

Thanks!!! I'll take whatever sympathy I can get!!

The question that has always bugged me is why don't B&M shops treat their monitors and demo clubs as a potential revenue stream?   (Maybe mmmmbuddy can enlighten us on this subject.)  $10 bucks a club to hit on the range or into a net with no monitor, plus $60 a hour for monitor time.   Does that sound extravagant?   Not to me, I'll pay it.  Is there still fat on the bone for the shop?   I think so.

I have a few thoughts about this, and obviously every shop is in a unique situation, but I can explain why we don't rent out the LM at our range, or charge our customers to test equipment.

At our shop, we only currently have one Flightscope Launch monitor. It is outside on our covered range, and we use it daily to fit players for drivers, fairways, hybrids, irons sets, and wedges. I think that it is safe to say that on a typical weekend during the season, the Flightscope is in use 70% of the day. However, if we were to Rent a block of time to a customer, our customers that are purchasing equipment are not able to have access to the LM during that time, and it is very possible that we will lose sales. 

If a player wants to come in a see what his numbers look like, we are happy to indulge depending on the situation. If we are slammed, no. If we are pretty slow, then we are happy to assist.

We also never charge for the use of demo clubs. I know that we have a small population of players that come in and test all of the new stuff and then go buy online at WRX, or eBay. We are not about to alienate the other 95% of the people that come through the door expecting to try all of the latest and greatest and now they have to pay $10. Not a chance. 

I don't pay $10 when I go look at a new TV.

I don't pay $10 to try on a pair of new running shoes.

I don't pay $10 to test ride a new bike at my local bike shop.

You won't pay $10 to test clubs at our shop. EVER.

*rant over*

Our shop is a very unique spot. What works well for us may not work for your local shop, and the same goes in reverse.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I saved this one.

Custom ordered a Ping fw from a local big box. Nothing too special. I got a 75g shaft to match the 65g shaft in my G2 at the time. Order went in, got the carbon copy of the order with all the specs on it.

Couple weeks later, its in. I look at it, and its a 65g shaft. Correct shaft, wrong weight.

They insisted it was the shaft I ordered. Absolutely insisted. Little did they know, I had the carbon copy of the order in my pocket, of course. Well, they had taken the original and scratched out the 75 and wrote over 65 on the shaft model. It was clearly fraudulent. I was livid.

I contacted their HQ and actually got a small shopping spree on their dime for the blatent fraud their manager tried to get away with for their error. That was the worst.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Went into Golfsmith last year to kill some time while the wife was shopping for shoes. I am in shorts and flip flops with no intent to hit any balls. The helpful sales guy tells me they have the new Callaway V series if I would like to hit one (he was able to read my hat I guess). I said sure and decidied to give it a few swings....only issue was that they only had it in an R flex. I took a few rips with it barefoot and gently and was flying it over 300 yards. He tries to talk me into it since "he has never seen numbers that good!" Told him to hold on a moment and went out to the car and got my driver and then took a few healthy cuts with that and was flying it 345+....then told him to compare the specs between the two. Also told him not to try and BS customers and put the monitor at realistic levels since nobody is going to duplicate the results on the course and come back complaining.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I saved this one.

Custom ordered a Ping fw from a local big box. Nothing too special. I got a 75g shaft to match the 65g shaft in my G2 at the time. Order went in, got the carbon copy of the order with all the specs on it.

Couple weeks later, its in. I look at it, and its a 65g shaft. Correct shaft, wrong weight.

They insisted it was the shaft I ordered. Absolutely insisted. Little did they know, I had the carbon copy of the order in my pocket, of course. Well, they had taken the original and scratched out the 75 and wrote over 65 on the shaft model. It was clearly fraudulent. I was livid.

I contacted their HQ and actually got a small shopping spree on their dime for the blatent fraud their manager tried to get away with for their error. That was the worst.

I'd hope that small shopping spree landed you a new driver or full set of irons at the minimum. That's some high level fraud right there.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived