Favorite Iron Shafts

GolfSpy Barbajo

In plain English please. :)

TT I get but

PUD

needs to be in smaller words.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TT I get but

needs to be in smaller words.

PUD = personal use discount

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

RB

Which shafts?

The new PX shafts that are currently prototypes I can't name yet and have been tested by a few PGA guys too. Id tell you, but he told us to review them, send our thoughts and he'd tell us when we can discuss them. They're good though... Least the 6 iron shaft is

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The new PX shafts that are currently prototypes I can't name yet and have been tested by a few PGA guys too. Id tell you, but he told us to review them, send our thoughts and he'd tell us when we can discuss them. They're good though... Least the 6 iron shaft is

Are you a current PX user?

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Are you a current PX user?

I have the PX blue graphite 5.0's in a set of Mizuno JPX 800 forged and Cobra Bio Cell irons. I really like the lag and feel of the 5.0's

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Who is us? You and other MGS guys? I hit the LZ iron shafts, loading zone, and love them but don't think they're coming to production. Wasn't sure if those were what you hit.

I'm using Aerotech steel-fiber i80's in my irons. Really liking them. Great feel and performance.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm using Aerotech steel-fiber i80's in my irons. Really liking them. Great feel and performance.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Who is us? You and other MGS guys? I hit the LZ iron shafts, loading zone, and love them but don't think they're coming to production. Wasn't sure if those were what you hit.

Rookie is part of the true temper test team. Sadly I believe all the spots were filled a while back :( . They review shafts for true temper well before the shafts become available for us mere mortals.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I HAd a set of mizuno mp25s built for me in september using the nippon pro 90. I have used this shaft in my previous Mizuno mp68s and find it fits an older player great. I am 80 years old and maintain an index 0f 7.5 according to the USGA as of 12/15/15. I pay golf 5 days a week here in south florida and am able to still play reasonably well although my distances have shrunk. My MP25- 7 iron flies 150 yards, where it went 170 just about 5  or 6 years ago. Must be the fault of those cheap golf balls .

I HAd a set of mizuno mp25s built for me in september using the nippon pro 90. I have used this shaft in my previous Mizuno mp68s and find it fits an older player great. I am 80 years old and maintain an index 0f 7.5 according to the USGA as of 12/15/15. I pay golf 5 days a week here in south florida and am able to still play reasonably well although my distances have shrunk. My MP25- 7 iron flies 150 yards, where it went 170 just about 5 or 6 years ago. Must be the fault of those cheap golf balls .

Kudos to you, sir. I hope I can say the same one day.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Just a quick Q.  What steel shaft has the best feel?   or they are not different because they are steel.... feedbacks please.

Feel is subjective so there is no correct answer. If I were to speak in generalities I would say Nippon but you may hate them. There is no way to measure feel.

I've always played project x's but this year I tried out KBS tour v's. Seemed like I hit the long irons much higher with the KBS compared to the Project X. Mid and short irons I didn't really notice much difference. It was nice going into long par 3's but I think I like the feel of the Project X's overall. So next year I'll go back to them.

I'm the opposite.

I was fitted for KBS Tour stiff a few years ago for my MP-59.

Went to a new fitting last month and apparently ball goes too high, so the guy put me in PX 5.5 shafts :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Comparison of iron shaft performance is a study of mine. I have bookmarked the link to Titleist's shaft comparison chart on their site. The Mizuno Shaft Optimizer twice said I should use TT XP, PXi, or KBS Tour in stiff. At a demo day I hit DG (130 grams), XP95 (95gr), and XP105 (105gr). Standard DG is just too heavy in long irons. I just love high trajectory with the ball landing like a lawn dart. One of the highest launch and spin shafts, I had NS105T in my AP1 710s, but Reg was too soft. The ball ballooned and went offline. I like a lightweight stiff shaft, but want any iron in my bag to hit the green and roll less than 6 ft. Anyone else have a preferred trajectory?

Comparison of iron shaft performance is a study of mine. I have bookmarked the link to Titleist's shaft comparison chart on their site. The Mizuno Shaft Optimizer twice said I should use TT XP, PXi, or KBS Tour in stiff. At a demo day I hit DG (130 grams), XP95 (95gr), and XP105 (105gr). Standard DG is just too heavy in long irons. I just love high trajectory with the ball landing like a lawn dart. One of the highest launch and spin shafts, I had NS105T in my AP1 710s, but Reg was too soft. The ball ballooned and went offline. I like a lightweight stiff shaft, but want any iron in my bag to hit the green and roll less than 6 ft. Anyone else have a preferred trajectory?

Why would you get fit from the Shaft Optimizer and only try one of the shafts? Or try shafts that it didn't recommend for that matter? I don't know if your WITB is updated because it says DG S300, so if you're playing that it literally makes no sense. You should try TT XP, PXi, KBS Tour, and AMT since it prob wasn't on the Optimizer.

Going against professional fitting recommendations is like taking lessons and tell the pro he's wrong. HA!

The shaft optimiser is based on a simple programming chip that identifies key loading and frequency factors during the swing. Great for trying to match a finite database to a swing trait - not so good at identifying what a golfer is looking for in terms of feel and trajectory. How the hell does it know what you want? It doesn't. It only recommends what is on it's database (which is pretty limited BTW). The shaft optimiser is a good way to find a starting point of where you might want to start looking for a quick and dirty solution for a customer, but in no way is it any replacement for experience. It has it's uses, but as a fitting tool it's not really a must have piece of kit. That being said, anything that encourages a golfer to seek professional analysis and start thinking about club fitting is a plus IMO.

The shaft optimiser is based on a simple programming chip that identifies key loading and frequency factors during the swing. Great for trying to match a finite database to a swing trait - not so good at identifying what a golfer is looking for in terms of feel and trajectory.

Not too simple of a chip IMO considering it took years to develop and nobody else has it. 3 steel options and 3 graphite options are a damn fine start. Feel isn't real and is entirely subjective so there's no way it could ever determine that, thinking it would is ridiculous. I hope you're using TrackMan to test your trajectory needs rather than guessing on a driving range.

Feel is subjective so there is no correct answer. If I were to speak in generalities I would say Nippon but you may hate them. There is no way to measure feel.

Feel according to me that soft feel at impact and of course you need to be gaming a forged mizuno iron..... pair with the right steel shaft... that butter will melt....

Not too simple of a chip IMO considering it took years to develop and nobody else has it. 3 steel options and 3 graphite options are a damn fine start. Feel isn't real and is entirely subjective so there's no way it could ever determine that, thinking it would is ridiculous. I hope you're using TrackMan to test your trajectory needs rather than guessing on a driving range.

Trackman? What is wrong with the Mk 1 eyeball?

Lets say for the sake of argument that you hit a certain shaft at the range. The feel is good, you like the way the ball flight looks, the spin is good and the ball lands where you want it every time. What good is Trackman now? Can it make the club feel any better? No. Can it make the ball flight any better? No. Can it make the spin any better? No. Can it make the shot more accurate? No.

There is no guessing on the range. The results of what the ball is doing and where it ends up is the ultimate truth of any test. 

Remember: Trackman is purely a ball flight analysis solution. It doesn't care how the ball actually got there, but it leaves a few clues to the reason why. Trackman has it uses in advanced club fitting for sure, provided trained individuals know how to interpret the data - but you will never ever see a pro hitting balls blindly without seeing how they perform with the naked eye downrange.

As for the Swing Optimiser - doesn't the fact that nobody else uses it in their custom fitting program tell you something? Apart from copyrighted intellectual property of course. 

Trackman? What is wrong with the Mk 1 eyeball?

Lets say for the sake of argument that you hit a certain shaft at the range. The feel is good, you like the way the ball flight looks, the spin is good and the ball lands where you want it every time. What good is Trackman now? Can it make the club feel any better? No. Can it make the ball flight any better? No. Can it make the spin any better? No. Can it make the shot more accurate? No.

There is no guessing on the range. The results of what the ball is doing and where it ends up is the ultimate truth of any test.

Remember: Trackman is purely a ball flight analysis solution. It doesn't care how the ball actually got there, but it leaves a few clues to the reason why. Trackman has it uses in advanced club fitting for sure, provided trained individuals know how to interpret the data - but you will never ever see a pro hitting balls blindly without seeing how they perform with the naked eye downrange.

In my experience I've seen a lot of people say "this shaft feels great" and have it be a poorly fit shaft. Feel isn't real. That doesn't mean it's unimportant it just means that feel can be deceiving. Just like in teaching golf how sometimes "over teaching" can be useful to get a student to make a certain move.

There's a reason the top tour pros practice on TrackMan. They don't want to guess on the range either. there are so many data points that TrackMan offers that you can't see on a driving range.

Feel according to me that soft feel at impact and of course you need to be gaming a forged mizuno iron..... pair with the right steel shaft... that butter will melt....

Everything you just said is subjective. There is no way to measure it. It's different for different people.

Why would you get fit from the Shaft Optimizer and only try one of the shafts? Or try shafts that it didn't recommend for that matter? I don't know if your WITB is updated because it says DG S300, so if you're playing that it literally makes no sense. You should try TT XP, PXi, KBS Tour, and AMT since it prob wasn't on the Optimizer.

Going against professional fitting recommendations is like taking lessons and tell the pro he's wrong. HA!

You seem to be looking for an argument. Of course I hit all 3 shafts recommended by the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer (they were right there for trying, why wouldn't I?): TT DG XP, KBS Tour and Project X Pxi. I have played XPs since. I played his recommended clubhead for almost a year before I realized I didn't like the harsh vibration. I hit the same head with all three shafts and therefore had insight on how the shafts alone varied the feel and impact on the face. I kept the impact tape for all 3 shafts. The Proj X had a hollow, pipe feel, not to my liking. The KBS felt good, but the impact strikes climbed up the face towards the heel. The XPs strike were all dead center. So I went with the MSO shaft and the Mizuno rep's recommended clubhead for a year before I realized he'd put me into a swing-type category and sold me the clubhead for the masses. I realized XPs were probably the right shaft based on impact, so I have stuck with XP shaft: DG XP, XP95 and XP105. FYI, those are all different models by True Temper, and they all come in various stiffness. I play S300 in all three. But I am still looking for the feel and sound I like, both in shaft and clubhead. Not what the Miz sales rep thinks would fit my swing . So I took his advice and modified it to suit me, not verbatim. And as was stated by Jankowski above, also looking for my preferred trajectory, which MSO ignores.

You seem to be looking for an argument. Of course I hit all 3 shafts recommended by the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer (they were right there for trying, why wouldn't I?): TT DG XP, KBS Tour and Project X Pxi. I have played XPs since. I played his recommended clubhead for almost a year before I realized I didn't like the harsh vibration. I hit the same head with all three shafts and therefore had insight on how the shafts alone varied the feel and impact on the face. I kept the impact tape for all 3 shafts. The Proj X had a hollow, pipe feel, not to my liking. The KBS felt good, but the impact strikes climbed up the face towards the heel. The XPs strike were all dead center. So I went with the MSO shaft and the Mizuno rep's recommended clubhead for a year before I realized he'd put me into a swing-type category and sold me the clubhead for the masses. I realized XPs were probably the right shaft based on impact, so I have stuck with XP shaft: DG XP, XP95 and XP105. FYI, those are all different models by True Temper, and they all come in various stiffness. I play S300 in all three. But I am still looking for the feel and sound I like, both in shaft and clubhead. Not what the Miz sales rep thinks would fit my swing . So I took his advice and modified it to suit me, not verbatim. And as was stated by Jankowski above, also looking for my preferred trajectory, which MSO ignores.

Your original post didn't clarify that. To us it seemed as if you got fit by MSO then went to DG even though you didn't like the flight. At least that's what it seemed like to me.

Your original post didn't clarify that. To us it seemed as if you got fit by MSO then went to DG even though you didn't like the flight. At least that's what it seemed like to me.

My OP said I hit DG at a demo day. I didn't say I bought them; I said they were too heavy.

I was trying to point out this discussion never mentioned trajectory. To me, that is key component of shaft selection. What somebody told me to buy is irrelevant. MSO doesn't gauge trajectory, so if I ignored the MSO, arrest me. This isn't Russia, is it?

Just a quick Q. What steel shaft has the best feel? or they are not different because they are steel.... feedbacks please.

that's a tough one. Feel can differ between two people, one fella with say they love the feel of a club while another might hate it. I haven't tried many shafts but my favorite in steel is probably the true temper dg pro. It's kinda head heavy but I grew up hanging Sheetrock with a framing hammer so I'm used to that head heavy feel, however the most distinguishing factor about them is the difference between the short and long irons. The short irons feel pretty close to a standard dynamic gold shaft maybe a tad softer and lighter but as the club's get longer you can start to feel the shaft load and release all the way through the swing. If your like me and grew up playing dynamic gold shafts and want a somewhat familiar feel with added performance then you might give them a try, but I would always recommend going and demoing a few different options to see what you like and don't like. Nothing beats personal experience.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Archived