Jump to content

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

32 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unpopular opinion coming. Private clubs for one biological gender or even age for that matter regardless of activity (golf, cigar, etc) are perfectly fine. There are plenty of female only clubs of all sorts. 

With that said Augusta has opened their club tonthe kids in Sunday before the masters to host the drive, Chip, putt championships for several years now which is great chance to help the growth of the game and now they are having the women’s amateur event the week before...and 4 amatuers have declined to play there and accepted invitations to play the lpgas first major ANA inspiration 

 

I guess those 4 amateurs declined the ANWA invitation because they wanted a chance to play in a major championship against the top players in the world rather than play 36 holes at nearby Augusta CC with MAYBE a chance to be in the final round of 30 players who get to play Augusta National GC.

  • Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
  • Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alcohol should be consumed after the round, not during. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since we're doing unpopular opinions, I'll state this one more strongly than I am fully convinced of: every Tour event should follow Augusta's policy of disallowing all phones on the premises. There's

So you’re saying these dudes should have a 6er before a fitting? Get real life performance.

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

4 amatuers have declined to play there and accepted invitations to play the lpgas first major ANA inspiration 

 

Wow declining a once in a lifetime experience! It's an inaugural event AND it's Augusta! These 4 could have probably played in another LPGA event or ANA next year. Defies reason - at least for me. 

  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to post
32 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I guess those 4 amateurs declined the ANWA invitation because they wanted a chance to play in a major championship against the top players in the world rather than play 36 holes at nearby Augusta CC with MAYBE a chance to be in the final round of 30 players who get to play Augusta National GC.

Both are great chances and either is hard to pass up but if I have even a remote chance to get onto Augusta I’m taking it, especially since there’s no other plans to have a pro event there so once they turn pro their chances are even lower and btw Augusta CC is no slouch if a course to get a chance to play either.

The 4 that declined are highly ranked amatuers so their chances of getting into the top 30 are pretty high

  • Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I guess those 4 amateurs declined the ANWA invitation because they wanted a chance to play in a major championship against the top players in the world rather than play 36 holes at nearby Augusta CC with MAYBE a chance to be in the final round of 30 players who get to play Augusta National GC.

Champions Retreat, not Augusta CC.  Same sentiment applies though.  Those four are in a win-win situation.  Honestly, if they harbor thoughts of turning professional anytime soon, playing the ANA is probably the right choice.  

  • Like 2
Link to post

Very tough decision but they probably made the right one. I think that Augusta translates to Men more so than women. Also they are top flight AM's and playing a major on the tour that they will probably compete on will do more for their preparation in the future. 

  • Like 4

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Link to post
21 hours ago, sixcat said:

Champions Retreat, not Augusta CC.  Same sentiment applies though.  Those four are in a win-win situation.  Honestly, if they harbor thoughts of turning professional anytime soon, playing the ANA is probably the right choice.  

Yeah, I missed that.  I was thinking it was right next door.

  • Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Long live groove technology in putters - it's the secret to making more putts. 

yep, probably something people will disagree on. But, I don’t think I have ever heard the claim that it will help make more putts. I have heard better roll and consistency.

But we all know it isn’t the grooves, it is how the putter looks that helps you make more putts.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, cnosil said:


yep, probably something people will disagree on. But, I don’t think I have ever heard the claim that it will help make more putts. I have heard better roll and consistency.

But we all know it isn’t the grooves, it is how the putter looks that helps you make more putts.

Although grooves may help the ball roll end over end consistently (some would argue they roll the ball end over end just as well without grooves), I will stand by the greatest putter of all time using a smooth faced Scotty Cameron putter - even experimenting with grooves - only to go back to his Scotty. Say what you want, Mr. Rife, Ping, Odyssey, Bobby Grace, etc., if grooves made that drastic of a difference, I don't care what they say, every single pro would be using them.  And after years of experimentation, you would think that I (not a pro golfer), would be able to make more putts with a grooved or technology filled putter.  As it turns out, I make more puts with a newport Scotty Cameron, white hot pro Odyssey, Bettinardi milled face, and a Cleveland milled face. I can also make putts with groove tech - which obviously doesn't hurt to have, but it by no means makes me a more consistent putter or makes me hole more putts.  I wish someone would come out and say that they don't matter as much as they want you to believe they matter - they certainly can't hurt your game, just like a smooth face or milled face won't hurt or make you make exponentially more putts...just my thoughts - im sure others out there share the same!

  • Like 3
Link to post
8 hours ago, cnosil said:


yep, probably something people will disagree on. But, I don’t think I have ever heard the claim that it will help make more putts. I have heard better roll and consistency.

But we all know it isn’t the grooves, it is how the putter looks that helps you make more putts.

Don't forget about feel there brother--- For me it is how it fits my eye but especially about the feel. For me insert putters have no feel that is why mostly I putt with old school styled putters.

  • Like 4

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

 

 

 

Link to post
6 hours ago, Eric Cartmenez said:

Although grooves may help the ball roll end over end consistently (some would argue they roll the ball end over end just as well without grooves), I will stand by the greatest putter of all time using a smooth faced Scotty Cameron putter - even experimenting with grooves - only to go back to his Scotty. Say what you want, Mr. Rife, Ping, Odyssey, Bobby Grace, etc., if grooves made that drastic of a difference, I don't care what they say, every single pro would be using them.  And after years of experimentation, you would think that I (not a pro golfer), would be able to make more putts with a grooved or technology filled putter.  As it turns out, I make more puts with a newport Scotty Cameron, white hot pro Odyssey, Bettinardi milled face, and a Cleveland milled face. I can also make putts with groove tech - which obviously doesn't hurt to have, but it by no means makes me a more consistent putter or makes me hole more putts.  I wish someone would come out and say that they don't matter as much as they want you to believe they matter - they certainly can't hurt your game, just like a smooth face or milled face won't hurt or make you make exponentially more putts...just my thoughts - im sure others out there share the same!

Trust me on this if grooves made that much of a difference or advantage the Golf Channel would be clamoring to ban them and the USGA and the R&A would bow down and do so 

  • Like 3

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

 

 

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Trust me on this if grooves made that much of a difference or advantage the Golf Channel would be clamoring to ban them and the USGA and the R&A would bow down and do so 

This is exactly what I mean! U hit the nail on the head. Every single player would be using grooves if it gave them an advantage.  I'll stick with what I put with - whether that's grooves or not - whatever you make more putts with!

 

Edited by Eric Cartmenez
  • Like 3
Link to post

One other thing on the groove thing. Now this is strictly me. I have a YES! Dianna I found a few years back in a junked car. It is a nice putter good looking and all. Has the C-groove thing. I also have a Nike Method 003 I got a few years back which is another story. Like the YES! it has grooves. If I am doing the toe putt thing I can not get it to go in a predictable manner with either putter. Some of you know what I am talking about others do not. John Smalls knows about toe putting because I showed him while putting with a old blade Tommy Armour. We were also messing around with a balata ball he had actually found while we were playing. It is an old school method of taking a little steam off a putt and side spinning it especially on a fast left to right putt ( for a right hander) it can also take some of the speed off a right to left down hill short breaker. You gotta practice it though. It is harder for me to do with a Anser style putter. Back when I played comp I carried 2 putters in the car and decided on the putting green. If the greens were slick I carried a blade style putter usually a Tommy Armour Ironmaster style or an 8802 and left my Ping in the car. 

  • Like 4

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

 

 

 

Link to post

@BIG STU  I still can't do it, but I can vouch for it!

Since we are on the topic of unfortunate...unpopular opinions, who is/was Toney Penna?

 

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

 

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Link to post
3 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

@BIG STU  I still can't do it, but I can vouch for it!

Since we are on the topic of unfortunate...unpopular opinions, who is/was Toney Penna?

 

Toney Penna was an old school tour player back in the day even before my time. He was on the Macgregor staff. He also was a club tinkerer and that evolved into club design. when his playing days and Macgregor contract ran out he started his own golf manufacturing company in Jupiter Florida. Years after he died the company was bought and sorta revived by Nathaniel Crosby son of Bing Crosby. I think sometime in the 90s it was absorbed into the deal with Nicklaus golf. In the mid 90s they got away from the quality persimmon woods and quality irons and started making junk ( IMHO) I think a couple of years ago I read on here someone had bought the rights to the company and were trying to revive the name brand with some horrible junk cast wedges. This is a picture of my most prized Penna driver this one is hand made and has never hit a ball

ATT_1459552287697_20160401_190449.jpg

ATT_1459552364499_20160401_190519.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

 

 

 

Link to post

I could not get the other one to post right but here is my old warhorse Penna I played until 02 or so. The last persimmon standing on the SE Mini Tours. It also has a PGA pedigree it was also one of the last persimmon drivers played on the PGA tour. Yep I still play it on occasion even though the Aldila HM-65 graphite is getting a little stiff for me to hit. Those are also my Macgregor CF-4000 irons that my old man got new in 1962 when he was on Macgregor staff. Yep I still play them some but father time has caught up with me and I can not sadly swing those old Stiff Pro Pel 2 steel shafts like I used to. And yes they are in a genuine Macgregor Mini staff Tartan stripe bag not a Golfsmith plastic junk bag made in China but a genuine leather and vinyl made in the USA one

ATT_1445121383007_20151017_132917.jpg

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

 

 

 

Link to post

I thought Stu posted a fake photo at first. Until I noticed the lead tape. 🏌️‍♂️

  • Haha 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

                                                                               :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

                                                                                :edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

 

Link to post
11 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I thought Stu posted a fake photo at first. Until I noticed the lead tape. 🏌️‍♂️

I guess that is my "trademark" 

  • Like 2

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

 

 

 

Link to post

My current unpopular opinion...   DJ and JR both sit out tournaments and JR takes over as World #1.  I guess he out-idled DJ.  There must be a better way to rank players.

 

  • Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
10 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

My current unpopular opinion...   DJ and JR both sit out tournaments and JR takes over as World #1.  I guess he out-idled DJ.  There must be a better way to rank players.

 

I'm a fan of the Sagarin computer rankings. They tend to put more weight on recent performance: http://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=world

  • Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...