perseveringgolfer

REALLY good chippers - chip in here pls

As a really bad chipper could I hear the techniques in here from people who are really good chippers?

Technique/style etc the simpler the better. I feel I need to radically change. I can't seem to capture the chipping I had as a young man where I expected to hole it or be very close. Now all I hope for is not to thin or chunk it. Help me MGS chipping gurus 👏

• Like 1

I wouldn't call myself a guru by any stretch of the imagination but what will probably be mentioned more than anything is practice.

A few years ago I expected to make every chip taken from 10' off the green and in. I then started chasing a better driver swing for more distance and completely quit practicing everything else but putting. Well needless to say the driver got better but everything else including putting got worse. Nowadays I don't get to the range often but when I do I work on everything.

Technique wise I play the ball even with my back foot almost exclusively and depending on the loft I use, the shot changes. I prefer to use my 56* and play a one or two hop and check shot but if I am struggling with that, I will use my 48* and bump and run. Unless I am trying a flop shot, I will use the same technique for everything chip, pitch, or bump and run. For me, I get my confidence from knowing that I am using the same technique and stroke I always do but using a different club to get the result I am looking for.

I will add that this is my technique for anything inside 50 yards.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

A number of years ago I adopted the use of my 8i for chipping/bump & run around the green.  I use to battle between using my 7i for this or grabbing my PW.  The 7i did not provide enough loft at times and the PW often too much.  An older friend used an 8i and was just lights out with it.  He told me he too struggled with that part of the game but modeled using the 8i after another guy he played with.  So, I just started working with my 8i and committed to it.  It has now become a strength for me.

I keep my feet close together, choke down slightly, keep my grip really light, and silent count a "one-two" swing tempo.  I also tend to read my bump and runs much a putt - perhaps subconsciously telling myself this is going in. This is something I practice quite a bit because it is both easy to do and because it has become such an important aspect of my game.  I'll opt for the 8i over my PW except when having to clear a trap, or shaggy grass with little green to work with to the hole, etc.

• Like 3

I’ve been working on this tirelessly for several years, I’d call my self a good chipper.

But I started to chip good after I watched the Seve video. I know I will wear that YouTube link out. But it is soooooo damn simple.

Low chips / open stance, hands forward, ball off right heel, slightly open clubface but pointed at Target. Stronger lofted clubs, 52°, PW, 9, 8, 7... try to use the same swing for all of them / imagine the same landing point, find a reference on the green, fringe, fairway... land all of those at the same spot and check the roll out. Pace it off and write it down for future use.

High chips / open stance, open clubface but point at Target, ball forward off left heel (looks centered), hands neutral (I go even slightly behind depending on what I am doing. *Not recommended* but if your into having fun...)... for 56°, 60° and higher. Same thing for these, find a reference point and land them all in the same spot, check roll out. Write it down.

Practice going into the grain, and with it, across grain.

There is a lot more that I think about when chipping, like do I want to use any curve to slow the ball more, or speed it up.

Not a professional, just a short game nut.

*Adding to it*

The lie is another often overlooked part of this. Are you going with or against the way the grass is going. I just picked up on this more last year.

Addition 2: sounds complicated, but after a few you’ll get that “Ah Ha” moment.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Look in the search as there’s a REALLY long thread on chipping. Lots of good ways to chip in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

A number of years ago I adopted the use of my 8i for chipping/bump & run around the green.  I use to battle between using my 7i for this or grabbing my PW.  The 7i did not provide enough loft at times and the PW often too much.  An older friend used an 8i and was just lights out with it.  He told me he too struggled with that part of the game but modeled using the 8i after another guy he played with.  So, I just started working with my 8i and committed to it.  It has now become a strength for me.

I keep my feet close together, choke down slightly, keep my grip really light, and silent count a "one-two" swing tempo.  I also tend to read my bump and runs much a putt - perhaps subconsciously telling myself this is going in. This is something I practice quite a bit because it is both easy to do and because it has become such an important aspect of my game.  I'll opt for the 8i over my PW except when having to clear a trap, or shaggy grass with little green to work with to the hole, etc.

This, except that I use my 9i

As a really bad chipper could I hear the techniques in here from people who are really good chippers?
Technique/style etc the simpler the better. I feel I need to radically change. I can't seem to capture the chipping I had as a young man where I expected to hole it or be very close. Now all I hope for is not to thin or chunk it. Help me MGS chipping gurus 

Here you go:
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/30297-lets-hear-your-chipping-tipstechniquesthat-work/

• Like 5

Technique/style etc the simpler the better. I feel I need to radically change. I can't seem to capture the chipping I had as a young man where I expected to hole it or be very close. Now all I hope for is not to thin or chunk it. Help me MGS chipping gurus 

I just entered the link and realized you had started that thread on chipping.
Oh well.

• Like 2

Oh well.

Must be the alien bots.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Oh well.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Must be the alien bots.

More like a senior moment😂

or even likelier it's desperation.........🙄

• Like 3

More like a senior moment

or even likelier it's desperation.........

I don’t mind. I’ll talk 100 and in all day. More specifically 30 and in. Just don’t ask me my putting technique or tips. Yikes.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Shankster I owe you (and Seve) a beer. You've told me and shown me the Seve video before and I watched it but didnt interpret it correctly.

Your explanation a few posts above made it crystal clear and I went and practiced it today at the chipping green, lovely contact, high and low shots, started to pick a landing spot I was getting that cocky lol no fats or thins.

Previously I had the ball too far forward, it looked right of centre but in reality it was well left of centre, no wonder I was thinning and fatting everything. The right heel and face slightly open is key for me. Thanks again👏

• Like 6

No problem. If I ever get to teach this wonderful sport to anyone in real life. My first lesson is to ditch the technical crap.

Glad it worked for you. Keep up with it and you’ll only get better.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2019 at 12:28 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

Your explanation a few posts above made it crystal clear and I went and practiced it today at the chipping green, lovely contact, high and low shots, started to pick a landing spot I was getting that cocky lol no fats or thins.

Glad to hear about some confidence coming back to your chipping/pitching.  Hope it continues for you. 

I too am at my best chipping when I am concentrating hard on the landing spot and how the ball will react once it gets rolling.  I prefer to do most of my short game work with my 54* so I know exactly the rollout dependent on shot.  Really helps to keep it simpler for me.

• Like 3

@Shankster,

Tried this today in the backyard and it felt fantastic. How far out is this good for you? I was pretty comfortable carrying about 20 yards. I think anything longer would be pushing my comfort level. 

• Like 2

[mention=69396]Shankster[/mention],
Tried this today in the backyard and it felt fantastic. How far out is this good for you? I was pretty comfortable carrying about 20 yards. I think anything longer would be pushing my comfort level. 

Yeah. I go up to a 8 iron with that particular shot style. About 20-25 yards in the air, however I try to limit that chip style to shorter distances, with front flagsticks, use more of spinny shot for longer shots. But I make sure to keep the swing length the same, that’s the point of that chip swing. Same swing and let the club loft do the rest. I don’t try to make the 56° go the 8 iron distance. That’s a different type of shot. Remember, Seve used chipping for a lot of roll. Minimal time in the air. You could also read Arnies tips, the spell it out a little better on what to expect from the roll out.

I am actually working on a new shot, one that I can spin or make it run from the same set up. I found a gem of a Trevino video on how Seve got so much spin out of the bunkers and those short pitches that checked up instantly. It is much like Jason Day’s straight arm pitching technique.

• Like 2

Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts. I had watched the Seve video and had been doing this with only my 54 degree. I'll have to try mixing in a few different clubs to see the results.

• Like 2

Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts. I had watched the Seve video and had been doing this with only my 54 degree. I'll have to try mixing in a few different clubs to see the results.

No problem. The way I see it, I have a whole bag full of tools. Plus it will give you many options, I mean you could use a 3 iron with a small swing and get a ton of roll. I will be trying everything from putter to Driver this year with the same swing.

I’ll have the chip swing, a 1/2 swing, 3/4 swing, and full dialed in with 7 iron and lower at least.

Look at Sergio, he chips with his 3 wood from time to time. Very small swing.

In the Seve video you’ll notice he uses the fringe as a reference point. The low one only goes about a yard in the air, and was more accurate by a foot or so than the high one.

It sounds like you are using it for a pitch shot too. In the full video he goes into a pitch and run which is a large chip swing. He uses different clubs for different distances there too. It might only be a few yards or less carry distance between them all, but the roll out will also be more.

I really don’t have any courses near by to use any pitch and runs, or “use the ground” more. Mostly forced carries and perched greens. Takes away from the game if you ask me.

Have fun!
  • Like 3

I was once told that the chip shot should be landed about 5 feet on the green with whatever club you are using.  The reasoning is that when the green is mowed, they make a final pass around the outside perimeter of the green, so that's where the grass is the most consistent for receiving the ball.  Landing on the green further than that, the ball will land on grass that has been mowed towards you or away from you.  I have no idea whether this is BS; just what I was told by a pro once.

• Like 1