Really like the concept that Eric discusses in here and I'm going to give it a go next time on the range.

Thigh-to-thigh
Hip-to-hip
Chest-to-Chest
Shoulder-to-Shoulder
...when needed, all out/full swing

- I also like the fact that he would rather switch clubs than trying to go all out.

• Like 5

*not watching the video but I’ll echo a few things*

Yes. Switch clubs instead of going 110%, your result will be far superior.

Keep ball position the same, shaft neutral.

• Like 2

Just now, Shankster said:

*not watching the video but I’ll echo a few things*

Yes. Switch clubs instead of going 110%, your result will be far superior.

Keep ball position the same, shaft neutral.

Great points !

Tempo was the same as well...

about the only thing he adjusted was stance width and how far down the club he gripped.

• Like 2

This is pretty much what I do. I just call each swing 1/4 1/2 3/4 full. But it's the same concept of thigh, hip, shoulder, full. It really gives you a starting point, and then I can say to myself, "okay, add a little bit to a 1/2", or whatever I need to do. 

• Like 3

Just now, GB13 said:

This is pretty much what I do. I just call each swing 1/4 1/2 3/4 full. But it's the same concept of thigh, hip, shoulder, full. It really gives you a starting point, and then I can say to myself, "okay, add a little bit to a 1/2", or whatever I need to do. 

Awesome!  And I like the idea of using parts of your body as checkpoints. 
I have a hard time sometimes "feeling" what a half is, but from a proprioception point of view I can tell where my hips are.  🙂

• Like 2

I don't have a "system" to vary my shot distance; it's all feel.  I know that I could probably gain better control of shot distance if I did, but I have other issues that I'm working on at the moment.  I can get the ball on the green, and I can usually get it to the middle which is OK for me to front, middle and back pins.  I rely on my putting.

The main reason I don't have a "system" is the shortness of my swing.  Jon Rahm has a long swing compared to mine.  lol   If I could take what I would consider a standard "full swing" with a wedge, my handicap would be somewhere around 24.

• Like 1

This is something I have struggled with my whole golf career. Like @Kenny B I don't have a system, and generally it is by feel. What happens is when it's good it's good, but when it's bad its disgusting. I have tried just about every "system" out there and have never been able to perfect it. It really is what stops me from reaching my goal of scratch. So this year it is my sole focus. 

• Like 3

I do a lot of 9:00 and 10:30 shots with AW, SW, LW .... much more control and consistency for me doing this.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

This is something I have struggled with my whole golf career. Like @Kenny B I don't have a system, and generally it is by feel. What happens is when it's good it's good, but when it's bad its disgusting. I have tried just about every "system" out there and have never been able to perfect it. It really is what stops me from reaching my goal of scratch. So this year it is my sole focus. 

Keep me posted on what you find out.

8 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

https://www.secretgolf.com/videos/profiles/jason-dufner/wedge-game/jason-dufner-power-for-wedges

This is what I am currently working on. Along with trying not to hit 100% wedges. 

The Steve Stricker approach.

I was doing that up until a few months ago.  Results were not too bad; had some good rounds, but also had days when I think the flat swing wasn't working for me.  I have a flat swing normally with all clubs.  I have been experimenting with more wrist hinge to get steeper... the jury is still out.

• Like 1

This is great information especially if you are not a feel player.  My biggest problem is decelerating on the down swing and chunking wedge shots.  I always joke with my friends that I'm the best at bogey holes from 100 yds and in.  I will definitely be testing this out the next time I'm out at the range.  I prefer to not hit full length wedge shots.  My body gets all out of tempo when I do resulting in inconsistent ball strikes. 

Thank you for providing this video for us.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, alfriday101 said:

I don't think that being a feel player and having a system are mutually exclusive.   

They aren't. Very rarely do you get a number that is EXACTLY one of your numbers with a "stock swing". You'll say something like, I need a little more than a hip to hip. 3 yards more or whatever. So even with a system, you still have use feel to hit exact numbers. 

• Like 3

Distance control is probably the worst part of my game. I've been trying to incorporate a clock into my system and determine the distance at 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... similar to Eric explains. 

Side note, for some reason I've never come across his videos before and they've been popping up more and more recently. Eric has some quality content. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Distance control is probably the worst part of my game. I've been trying to incorporate a clock into my system and determine the distance at 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... similar to Eric explains. 

Side note, for some reason I've never come across his videos before and they've been popping up more and more recently. Eric has some quality content. 

I've watched a lot of Eric's videos .... I like the way he teaches.

• Like 2

Kept a lot of these pointers in mind tonight for a quick round after work... holy cow. My chipping/pitching stance is something I’ve always tinkered with. After watching this I tried keeping the feet a lot closer together and stood more square with the target instead of opening up like I usually do. I have never chipped better than I did tonight.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, GB13 said:

That's what I'm working on and trying to do, also .. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full .. but "Full" is still not 100% effort (have a tendency to pull it left with a wedge if I swing too hard). I try to calibrate position using my left (lead) arm position.

• Like 1

Just now, cksurfdude said:

That's what I'm working on and trying to do, also .. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full .. but "Full" is still not 100% effort (have a tendency to pull it left with a wedge if I swing too hard). I try to calibrate position using my left (lead) arm position.

Yeah, I'd say for me full (on all my clubs really) is about 90%. If I swing too hard, the excrement hits the spinning turbine. 

• Haha 1

Ive tried the clock method and its just too much thought.  I carry what I consider 4 wedges and they are dialed in decent.  I go by feel and do decent with it. If I could only putt.