Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter

Forum Member Review - Odyssey Stroke Lab Putters  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a believer in Stroke Lab tech?

11 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

And to you guys reading this, I wish we had more answers for you instead of questions of ourselves, but that's the beauty of these testing opportunities. You get to see the doubts and the trial and error of us working through things, especially in situations where the club doesn't immediately reap rewards or drop perfectly into our bags. I hope you're getting something out of this as well.

Good point. I have to remind myself that since putting is a fair amount psychology and I have more or less been using the same putter for about 5 years. Even when I'm not putting well, I am used to everything about it. 

• Like 2

Well look at that nifty poll on the front page!

If you're new to the thread, welcome and hopefully you check out everyone's stage one's on page one. @Apolloshowl, @juspoole @MaxEntropy and I will be your guides, answer any questions, and keep you updated on our latest excursions. So whether you just wanna dip your toe into the Stroke Lab pool or cannonball your way in, we're here for y'all!

• Like 4

First time on the course in a couple weeks and my putting has not missed a beat. I didn't shoot the best with many tee shirts getting away from me but the confidence on the greens was still there. No 3 putts once again and sorry I only played 9 because with it is still great to get out. I have one slight concern with the head weight feeling lighter it had a bit of a waiver during take away which the ping did not have. It always comes back square and through and I'm not missing more putts, but it is a weird feeling

• Like 4

So, update on that Wednesday 9 hope round. Took the Pipe out, 15 total putts with 2 lip hangers. 3 one putts from 5, 7 and 13 ft. 13 ft were downhill left to right slider for the only birdie of my round. A round where ball striking was good and if I just had those hangers drop would be special

Went to the putting green yesterday to work on the Stroke Lab. There was some progress but also quite a bit of frustration.

What I'm keying on right now it the finish of my stroke. It feels like I'm fighting the toe hang at points leading to a bad push or over releasing it and pulling everything. What's weirder is that it's not happening over putts I'm not griding on. Like the 3 footer is just autopilot, same with the long lag. Because I'm not confident in my stroke path from that "scoring distance" I'm fighting every putt it feels like.

I'm playing tomorrow morning and it'll be a game time decision as to what makes the bag.

• Like 4

I played 18 with @MattF and a friend of mine today. Overall, I putted pretty well - no real bad strokes, ending up with 32 putts. I did have a 3-putt, but it was a very rushed second putt due to the rain that had started dumping on us. Other than that, distance control was very good all day, nearly every second putt was stress free. I made a couple decent putts in the 10-15 range, but in general I was reading too much break. I missed two makable birdie putts, but they were read issues, not stroke issues. The more I play with this putter, the more comfortable I am getting with it. We'll see how the stats work out by the time stage 2 drops. 

• Like 5

Ok so here is the round recap.

Screenshot_20190707-220023.thumb.png.b8055760919cef9d31a14b1032009672.png

Not sure I have ever struck the ball that well before in my life. I did have a few mishaps, but overall felt so in control and just on point. Missed one fairway and even that was in a good spot. Drove a green with my 2 iron, hit a 4 crossover 281 yards down hill and hit 12 of 18 greens in reg. Ended up with a 77 or 5 over. Now normally I'd be thrilled and it was by far my best round of the year. However I had so many poor putts and really could not get any great feel for speed. They were quick without question, but that made me almost scared and I left way too many putts short which resulted in so many missed opportunities. Honestly felt as though j could have shot under par for the first time ever and it was on a very tough right course with a ton of blind shots. Also maybe the most spectacular course I've ever played on when it comes to views. Please check out the link above to give it a look. 

Screenshot_20190707-220039.thumb.png.aeaa4a9f75b2761db9861f9565e73a5e.png

Anyway it was the first time where my putting really felt off and disappointing. I have a couple more rounds this vacation and I'm sure it will turn around, but my putting has always been so solid and this was definitely a step backwards and maybe it was just the greens, but I really feel as though I left 5 more birdies out there that were makeable and not too difficult. Even the second birdie today I thought was a par 4 on what I found out to be a part 5... Oops. Back to the same course Wednesday and another new course Friday so we will see if there is any improvement in the putting front.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

Also maybe the most spectacular course I've ever played on when it comes to views. Please check out the link above to give it a look. 

Wow Apollo - took a look at some google images and that course looks amazing!  Especially the 18th approach into the green with the river valley in the background.  

I was able to get a couple hours practice this weekend and tried to do some different comparisons against my current putter.  I played a couple 9 hole putting rounds with each putter.  Most of these were 30 foot plus with a couple 15 footers sprinkled in.  

Results from 9 hole putting round:

Stroke Lab - 8 two putts and 1 one putt.  Winner in 9 hole contest.

Scotty Cameron - 9 two putts (2 lip outs)

Above are a couple makes with the Scotty Cameron from 30 feet, the video cut off before stroke lab was shown, but I had two misses with the SL, but they were good lag putts.  Similar theme I've been getting on anything 25+ feet.  I don't really make much, but lag putting is strong.  

Direct comparison from SC (first putt) to Stroke lab from about 12 ft.  Just seem to make a more confident stroke with SC and tend to push the Stroke Lab a bit.  I do notice the toe is up slightly so I will have that addressed.  In the 15 ft and less zone when I have make-able putts, I feel like I used to brush the edge or make the putt about 75% of the time with my SC.  Now it seems that has changed to 25% and the other 75% is just nestling near the hole, but no chance to actually go in.  

One thing that helps me alot with the stroke lab on longer putts is the softer face, I feel like I can be a bit aggressive with the putt and not fear it will roll past.  That has always been a bit of an issue for me is speed control on longer putts and I tend to miss long more than anything else.  However, the feel I have from my SC gives me more confidence in the make-able range.

Still more trial and error to come, but so far this year, my putting feels like an achilles heel to what has been really great approaches into greens and high GIR's.

• Like 3

Ugh, today was a day I wasn't hoping was coming this season. I'm back to being a double digit handicap golfer. 10.0 on the number. Admittedly playing only one round a week isn't helping matters, but my 4 stroke lab rounds have been 82, 84, 90, and 85. Two Pipe rounds 79 and 82 in between.

Admittedly that last 85 was this Saturday and our last ten holes were plagued by rain but I went +5/+8 without making anything of importance. once the rain hit I was +3 through 8, went home playing bogey golf with a couple of three putts. I made one birdie but that was a stomped wedge to 2 feet. I will continue to test and try but it's looking bleak. The ball is just not going in the hole.

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed reading the reviews thus far. My question is this: have any of you who have had some really promising results early on feel like you are struggling with the putter now? If so, what is your biggest struggle? Is it line, speed, feel?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

I've really enjoyed reading the reviews thus far. My question is this: have any of you who have had some really promising results early on feel like you are struggling with the putter now? If so, what is your biggest struggle? Is it line, speed, feel?

Line, line, line. I've talked about struggling with stroke path, speed and feel are fine, but I cannot hit my lines.

Just now, Berg Ryman said:

Line, line, line. I've talked about struggling with stroke path, speed and feel are fine, but I cannot hit my lines.

I know you went from a mallet to a blade style, so is the issue not being able to see the line over the ball or is your stroke fighting the style of putter? I'm not sure I'm asking that correctly but I play a heel shafted putter with massive toe hang. I have a very strong arc and if you put a mallet in my hand I turn into a high handicapper on the greens. I read your fitting experience and I know based on that you have the correct style but that doesn't always translate to playing.

1 hour ago, golfertrb said:

For me I've done pretty well with it and truly love how smooth the putter shaft feels. I think it's more how soft the face feels compared to the Ping. I like it... I think it's just different and taking more time to get use to. 

I truly believe the stroke lab shaft is very helpful and a big benefit to any golfer, but because it is so different the adjustment is large and takes time and reps. I'm guessing similar to many going from always using irons to hybrids... Big adjustment with obvious benefits but not the easiest of transitions 

• Like 1

I know you went from a mallet to a blade style, so is the issue not being able to see the line over the ball or is your stroke fighting the style of putter? I'm not sure I'm asking that correctly but I play a heel shafted putter with massive toe hang. I have a very strong arc and if you put a mallet in my hand I turn into a high handicapper on the greens. I read your fitting experience and I know based on that you have the correct style but that doesn't always translate to playing.

Stroke over visual. I line putt with my ball stamp and admittedly, the Stroke Lab putter is very appealing to the eye. The two tone and short line make it easy feel like it's square, I'd see as easy as the big alignment from my Pipe. I'm just fighting it from a stroke perspective and getting frustrated.

For me I've done pretty well with it and truly love how smooth the putter shaft feels. I think it's more how soft the face feels compared to the Ping. I like it... I think it's just different and taking more time to get use to. 
I truly believe the stroke lab shaft is very helpful and a big benefit to any golfer, but because it is so different the adjustment is large and takes time and reps. I'm guessing similar to many going from always using irons to hybrids... Big adjustment with obvious benefits but not the easiest of transitions 

That makes sense and I think I probably agree in terms of the putter shaft being an area that technology has left virtually unscathed. When I first got the Stroke Lab 9, I felt it was definitely helping me in terms of the stroke. My first time out, I played quite well with it but I started to lose my distance control. I just couldn't figure it out and I thought it was due to the softness of the face. I've wondered if the shaft with my current head would be ideal but I'm nervous to mess with mine. When I went back to my Odyssey Tour Black 9 it was SO much better. I'm a feel player and being able to feel the club head and the strike point made all the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Stroke over visual. I line putt with my ball stamp and admittedly, the Stroke Lab putter is very appealing to the eye. The two tone and short line make it easy feel like it's square, I'd see as easy as the big alignment from my Pipe. I'm just fighting it from a stroke perspective and getting frustrated.

I wonder how you would feel with one of the Stroke Lab mallets. I can totally understand the frustration with fighting your stroke, as well as, figuring out new feels and sights.

I wonder how you would feel with one of the Stroke Lab mallets. I can totally understand the frustration with fighting your stroke, as well as, figuring out new feels and sights.

Stroke wise maybe better, but feel wise probably worse. There was a head lightness I wasn't a fan of with the mallets in my hand, obviously that would be easier to adjust to though.

I guess maybe blind faith in a fitting may not be the best thing for a putter, compared to others.

Stroke wise maybe better, but feel wise probably worse. There was a head lightness I wasn't a fan of with the mallets in my hand, obviously that would be easier to adjust to though.
I guess maybe blind faith in a fitting may not be the best thing for a putter, compared to others.

I remember you saying that about the head weight now that you mention it. Thanks for your efforts and your time in responding.

28 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

I remember you saying that about the head weight now that you mention it. Thanks for your efforts and your time in responding.

No problem, always like talking through this stuff. The head weight thing wouldn't be that big a problem is not for something that really upset me from Odyssey on this release.

I understand that the engineers at Callaway and Odyssey know more than I and they have engineered these putters to super tight tolerances, but they also understand feel is subjective and weighting may play a part in this, that's why our weights on the bottom are removable.

However, and maybe this is just me, if I'm going to drop $250 on a premium putter with the potential of removable weights, don't nickel and dime me by forcing me to pay extra for the weight kit and tool, especially not for $50. Your weight kit should not be 20% of your putter cost, and at a certain price should be included. It's a big miss by Odyssey here in my mind.

• Like 2