My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-Chrome Soft

Our Sponsors

The first Ball Lab report is up on the home page.  The first one out of the box is the Chrome Soft.    Share your thoughts below.

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-2020-callaway-chrome-soft/

Tested for MyGolfSpy Ball Lab, the 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft

• Like 4
  • Love 3

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My initial thoughts are I'm surprised that there are still so many issues in the quality.  It ranked as a perfectly "average" ball in the premium category.   If paying $45 plus for a ball, I hope for

Ain’t no fan boy like a Callaway fan boy 

They have pretty much been saying all along, this is different than the 2019 Ball Report, that it is gong to be released one ball at a time for the most part.   Most people have no idea the amount of

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

My initial thoughts are I'm surprised that there are still so many issues in the quality.  It ranked as a perfectly "average" ball in the premium category.   If paying $45 plus for a ball, I hope for more than average.   The 22% having some flaw or another is concerning to me as well, as that is basically 1 sleeve per dozen.

That is surprising to an extent but at the same time I didn’t think they would be able to get them sorted out in the first iteration of their upgrades and such. 

• Like 5

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My initial thought is that it is interesting information. However, Information for a single ball probably isn’t relevant for me as I have nothing to compare it to.
From a usefulness perspective I would want an across the board comparison to see what balls are
similar to enable me to look at options and how changing parameters impacts performance.

• Like 8

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The simple fact that an industry leader cannot do this test in-house and determine they need to improve QA is astounding. This is why DTC and "smaller" brands exist.

• Like 2
  • :tour-edge: EXS Driver
  • :cobra-small: King F8 3w
  • :titelist-small: 818 H1 Hybrid
  • :nike-small:VR-S Forged 5-PW
  • :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP 56*
  • :wilson_staff_small: Infinite Lake Shore
1 minute ago, cnosil said:

My initial thought is that it is interesting information. However, Information for a single ball probably isn’t relevant for me as I have nothing to compare it to.
From a usefulness perspective I would want an across the board comparison to see what balls are
similar to enable me to look at options and how changing parameters impacts performance.

Agreed, comparison is important.  I saw that Bryson toured the Bridgestone facility, and said he doesn't even need to epsom salt test them anymore...

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

I was in it on Twitter earlier discussing the results with people who were skeptical, so expect a lot of good Tony content today folks, explaining things to folks who either don't get it, don't want to get it, or are Callaway fanboys ready to rise up.

• Like 6

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

Also, True Value is going to really change how I look at golf balls, because I'm looking to stretch my dollar and not sacrifice performance along the way. It's a really interesting metric to determine value and something that I'm greatly going to appreciate.

• Like 9

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

17 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Also, True Value is going to really change how I look at golf balls, because I'm looking to stretch my dollar and not sacrifice performance along the way. It's a really interesting metric to determine value and something that I'm greatly going to appreciate.

So true, I think it will end up being the gold standard in comparing the value/quality of similar priced balls gong forward. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I need yall to hurry up and test the new Titleist Tour Speed. I had a terrible experience with them already. Buncha soft covers. Reminds me of the 4 piece KSig fiasco.

I dont think Chromesofts are going to be selling well...or better than they already are.

They had the issue with quality control before, but even before that I dont think I knew/know a single person who chooses to play Chrome Soft. Among the big names, they are going to get beat out by Titleist are their well know multi million dollar quality control process...and now with the direct to consumer balls really starting to take off and charging sometimes half the cost, I dont see a space for them unless you are a Callaway fan boy. Really curious to see the labs hit up the direct to consumer balls to see how they stack up against the big names in terms of quality.

Edited by TomBomb51

*insert WITB here*

14 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

I dont think Chromesofts are going to be selling well...or better than they already are.

They had the issue with quality control before, but even before that I dont think I knew/know a single person who chooses to play Chrome Soft. Among the big names, they are going to get beat out by Titleist are their well know multi million dollar quality control process...and now with the direct to consumer balls really starting to take off and charging sometimes half the cost, I dont see a space for them unless you are a Callaway fan boy. Really curious to see the labs hit up the direct to consumer balls to see how they stack up against the big names in terms of quality.

Callaway didnt become a 2 billion dollar company without people buying their stuff. Unfortunately the majority of golfers are not on MGS. There's a lot of uninformed people out there.

Edit: According to their Q2 investor numbers, they sold $94 million in golf balls in 2020.

Welcome to MGS by the way.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Callaway didnt become a 2 billion dollar company without people buying their stuff. Unfortunately the majority of golfers are not on MGS. There's a lot of uninformed people out there.

Edit: According to their Q2 investor numbers, they sold $94 million in golf balls in 2020.

Welcome to MGS by the way.

They own a lot of other businesses that aren’t equipment that get them that large over all value. MGS reported on their various businesses and how much they contribute to the company value 

• Like 4

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I agree and hopefully we'll see a summary somewhere down the line that provides this. It's going to be a long, slow roll out if Ball Lab is released one model at a time and it will be very difficult for most to quickly decipher any sort of direct comparison.

• Like 4

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

They own a lot of other businesses that aren’t equipment that get them that large over all value. MGS reported on their various businesses and how much they contribute to the company value 

That's why I added the $94 million in golf ball sales for the first half of 2020.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

I think it's interesting and a good add. But you can't actually use it directly because you can't sort out which are the bad ones - e.g. if one brand has 1 bad ball per dozen and another has 2 bad balls per dozen but the latter is a significantly better True Value, you're still playing 100% more bad balls? What am I missing?

It's going to be interesting to see how brands/models match up in terms of True Value nonetheless. I only play one ball, hope it fares reasonably well - as it did in 2019.

6 minutes ago, mwr57 said:

Good information, can not wait to see the rest of the test

+1000. I got excited when I read the post, until I realized it was just one ball. Patience, really looking forward to being able to compare all the brands I think I prefer, though the issue above may confuse the issue for me.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

Just going through the comments and having a chuckle at the number of people commenting things like, "this is why you buy brand X" etc., etc. with no other data to go off of. I'm expecting to see other manufacturers do better, but I also think we could be in for a surprise as no one has done a test like this before - testing multiple brands and models using the same equipment and metrics across the board and then publishing the results. Very interested to see more of these reports!

• Like 6

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

6 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Just going through the comments and having a chuckle at the number of people commenting things like, "this is why you buy brand X" etc., etc. with no other data to go off of. I'm expecting to see other manufacturers to do better, but I also think we could be in for a surprise as no one has done a test like this before - testing multiple brands and models using the same equipment and metrics across the board and then publishing the results. Very interested to see more of these reports!

It'll be interesting to see how the manufacturers react, could be good, bad or no (known) reaction. You have to be impressed that MGS is willing to take this on, but they're in a unique position to do so with no sponsors. Hats off to MGS!

• Like 5
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)