Is the 3 Wood dead?

Our Sponsors

My 3 wood is probably my favorite club in the bag.  I use it off the tee as well as on long par 5's if needed.  It is my fairway finder.  I can shape it like I want and have tons of confidence in it.  I can't say the same for my hybrid.  My hybrid is probably the LEAST used club in my bag.  As of late, I only use my hybrid for punch shots under trees.  Learn to hit your 3 wood, you will love it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most high handicappers/slower swingers should be gaming 4woods or 5Woods instead. They simply don’t have the club head speed to elevate a 3w, especially off the deck. Give that player a 4 wood or 5 wo

Hit that hybrid!  If it means more fairways and greens then it doesn't make much of a difference.  The idea that a bag should have certain clubs is tired logic, there's no reason to carry tools you ca

I used to be that guy who always pounded driver on every hole, even when it wasn't really warranted.  The past couple seasons however I've shifted to more of my 3 wood off the tee, in addition to the

Love my 3 wood. I like it so much I’m thinking of adding a 7 wood.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

:titelist-small: 917 D2 9.5 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g 6.5
:taylormade-small: M2 (2017) 3W 17.5 -  
:ping-small: G 4H 22 - 
:titelist-small: 735cm 3 - PW - KBS Tour Black Nickel 115g ( R )
:vokey-small: SM4 Tour Chrome 52˚- 8˚ | 56˚- 8˚ | 60˚- 7˚ - True Temper Dynamic Gold ( W )
:cameron-small: California Coronado
:Snell: 
MTB-X
:Arccos:

Last couple of decades I have only used what I deem a #3 wood (i.e. 13-16 deg loft) off the tee for accuracy purposes. Years ago when I got into club fitting, club making I learned a lot regarding necessary swing speed and angle of attack needed for me to get a #3 wood off the deck with sufficient carry distance. I have never had overly impressive swing speed and just rarely could get #3 woods off the deck (includes shallow and mid-deep face varieties). But I have had many #3 woods that all things equal I probably should have only been teeing off with those in place of my drivers. My fairway wood of choice starts at ~18 deg (call it 4 wood,5 wood or whatever) give or take pending design/shallow face with my swing dynamics. I do play with several friends that can easily game a modern #3 wood and they all have the following in common -- they are tall and have +105 swing speed (driver) with good grooved swings. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

they all have the following in common -- they are tall and have +105 swing speed

That is interesting that you bring up height. Watching many tall tour players hit driver it seems that they are able to stand more upright naturally. With the woods being the longest clubs in the bag it would make sense the natural stance is easier for them to hit it.

I have a wrist to floor that is about the same as someone who is 6-3 to 6-5, but I am only 5-11. I have always liked the longer clubs from woods, hybrids, and long irons which I can only attribute to feeling more natural at address. 

8i length is about my favorite short club. Anything shorter feels too short, and I have to consciously focus on staying down through the shot for 9i-wedges. My irons are 2° up and it still feels a bit manufactured in the short irons. 

Since the thread is about 3w - I have a gamer that I will bring out of moth balls when I play a course that is exceptionally long. I usually give up a short club like a Gap. My 3w is an Aldilla xstiff SLDR TS at 14° that I might turn down to 13° or from up to 15° depending on my desired flight and wind conditions. I have hit this club 293 yards at most, but usually around 240-250 is my target (5w 220-230). Driver for me is about 260 average with some getting out to 300+ when conditions allow. The tight gapping is why I usually just carry the 5w and D.

• Like 2

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I'm a big fan of the 3W, and my hybrid is inconsistent now so I was thinking of picking up a 5W to play with.

• Like 4

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I have been seriously considering doing more of this.  I suspect the increase in FIR's (short grass and no tree line) would outweigh the 30-40 yards less distance.

Go for it!

Frankly, I can hit driver on a Par 4 and have less than a hundred or a hundred on the number or I can hit 3 wood and have 130-40 into the green.  It's frankly just not a situation where I feel that the ROI on going with the long dog helps me much.  I will say, my driver numbers were TERRIBLE about 2 years ago.  I'm talking like less than 40% of FIR hit.  So I started using my three wood while I worked on my driver to get it to behave.   If, and that's a HUGE IF, I miss a FIR with my three wood in hand it's by at most 5 yards to the left because I over-cooked it.  So that right there will tell you, no more in the trees thus making my second shots on 4's so much more effective.  

Give it a try, but do it for maybe a month or two and look at your stats.  I'm willing to bet you will see your numbers drastically improve an your scores drop a couple strokes. 

• Like 3

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

23 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

I am finding myself using my 3W less and less each round and my hybrid more and more. I am a high handicapper so maybe I just haven't mastered my 3W, but I feel a lot more confident using my hybrid off the deck than my 3W. 

Is anyone else going through the same situation? Or if you are a more skilled golfer using long irons instead? 

I'm a high handicapper as well. I had a 3 wood in my bag and could never hit it straight, my fitter told me to trash it. I now have a King F9 5wood that is adjustable to 17*. Its a great club but still not quite as consistent as my 410 hybrids 22* and 26* (operator error). Before getting the 5 wood, I had actually considered getting a 410 19^.  

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My 3W is adjustable....I set it to 17* and I hit it much better

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Not for me, I still use mine as the gap between my hybrids and my driver.

The course set up helps answer this question too. Consider the pros change their bag around weekly based on the yardages they want into each green. So, maybe for your home course your 3wd isn't necessary, or dead as you said. Change courses and you may find your driver is dead and 3wd is your distance of choice off the tee. Or maybe change tees on your current course and you'll find the hybrids dead and 3wd becomes the club of choice on your 2nd shot into par 5's.

• Love 1

It's 90% Mental

I don’t use my 3W much, but I wouldn’t want to be without it. Second shot on many par 5’s if nothing else, or when I dub a drive, not often but it happens. 😝 Need something between my driver and 3H.

Same could be said of my 60* lob wedge, I rarely need it but sometimes it’s just right. Might as well carry 14 clubs.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
On 1/22/2021 at 8:08 PM, jlukes said:

Most high handicappers/slower swingers should be gaming 4woods or 5Woods instead. They simply don’t have the club head speed to elevate a 3w, especially off the deck. Give that player a 4 wood or 5 wood and watch them carry it further than any 3 wood they’ve tried to hit. 

💯

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, Nateyeight said:

I am finding myself using my 3W less and less each round and my hybrid more and more. I am a high handicapper so maybe I just haven't mastered my 3W, but I feel a lot more confident using my hybrid off the deck than my 3W. 

Is anyone else going through the same situation? Or if you are a more skilled golfer using long irons instead? 

I think it’s going to still have a place in folks bags, but I think a lot of the advice about looking at a 4 or 5 wood is better for most folks I see. with all things it’s a matter of preference, and getting on a launch monitor to get some feedback will help a lot. I’m a plus player and I really struggle with woods outside of my driver and don’t carry any, so don’t think you need to graduate to anything- hit the clubs that keep the game fun!  I even ditched my 4 iron for an additional hybrid I liked hitting them so much- and it took my ego a while to make that move.

• Like 2

Driver- image.jpeg.a9c96bbd3d3283947b9148f76e5881a5.jpeg G425 Max 9* set flat ALDILA ROGUE WHITE 130 MSI 70 XS

Fairway - Sub 70 Pro Tour 3 wood 14* Project X Evenflow 6.5

Hybrids- image.jpeg.afea5395f5f90d5d70506b93edab659a.jpeg G410 18* Project X Evenflow 6.5 

Irons- image.jpeg.dc9b88b4b95d3a2c4f25c00904ffa8a7.jpeg MP20 HMB (4), MMC (5-PW), Project X 6.5 LZ black

Wedges- image.jpeg.afea5395f5f90d5d70506b93edab659a.jpeg Glide 3.0 SS 50* Project X 6.5 LZ black, Sub 70 54* JB Forged Raw 54* Project X 6.5 LZ black soft stepped, image.jpeg.d99e38758423b118f348474a055061c7.jpeg PM Grind 60* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter- image.jpeg.60bc461b36df3364ed4e5dc7bdd0bf77.jpeg Triple track ten putter

Ball- image.jpeg.d99e38758423b118f348474a055061c7.jpeg Chrome soft 

image.png

image.jpeg

I still use my 3 wood a lot but I am starting to use hybrids more.

• Like 1

:nike-small: Vapor Pro 9* Driver

:callaway-small: XR 16 3 Wood

:cobra-small:King F7 3&4 Hybrids

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-5 Irons

:callaway-small:MD3 50* Wedge

Kirkland Signature 52*&56* Wedges

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B RXS

On 1/22/2021 at 4:19 PM, Micah T said:

@Nateyeight is your 3 wood adjustable? Adding a little more loft can help, IMO.
I didn’t like my 3 wood until I was without a driver for awhile and was forced to use it. Can you hit it well off a tee?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It is adjustable. I struggle with it off the tee too. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:callaway-small: 3 Wood: Epic Flash
:callaway-small: 4 Hybrid: Epic Flash
:callaway-small: Irons:  - AW Rogue 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 54*, 58*
:cameron-small: Putter: 1995 Newport
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

Loving the feedback everyone. I might give changing the loft a try as some have mentioned. If it still doesn’t work then I may get fitted for a 4 or 5 wood, or a 2 or 3 hybrid instead. 

• Like 3

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:callaway-small: 3 Wood: Epic Flash
:callaway-small: 4 Hybrid: Epic Flash
:callaway-small: Irons:  - AW Rogue 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 54*, 58*
:cameron-small: Putter: 1995 Newport
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

On 1/24/2021 at 11:34 AM, DubiousPro said:

Consider the pros change their bag around weekly based on the yardages they want into each green

I have really enjoyed the PGA Tour changing the tee box to avoid the same club selection all four rounds - example of 17 in La Quinta this past week. 

I am all for the Tour throwing in some curve balls for those guys. 

Quoting Family Feud, "What is the most boring sport to watch, even for men?... #1 Answer: GOLF!" Anything that can be done to make the broadcast of the game we all love more entertaining would be wonderful. 

• Like 2

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I have played for 21 years now and just started playing fairway woods.  At first it was ego. I could hit my 3i 230, once every 20 or 30 tries.  This year I added a mavrik 3+ 13.5 deg strong 3 and a mavrik 5. I absolutely love the 3w and2 5w both off tee and fairway. I use all three woods off tee depending on shot I am looking for.  I also love the fw so much I am interested in 7w. I carry 13 clubs now and have been debating 4i or 7w. I think 7w might be better then 5i to hold green on 200yd par 3's and approach shots.  4i would be easier to hit stinger or keep low when needed.  I can deloft 5i easy enough.  The mavrik Fairways woods really launch ball from rough.  I have no trouble getting out of 1st cut with either 3 or 5w. If really deep rough I usually use iron.  I can control trajectory by simple ball placement slight swing adjustment. There is something very satisfying of cracking a 230 yard approach shot from that has perfect trajectory and lands soft. Also I find the fw easier to shape then long irons.  Long high and straight or fade draw, and a screaming low line drive that turns the corner like I am steering it. Seriously, I would definitely pick up a 3w or 5w and give it a shot.....

I say yea to fairway woods. 

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

I have a cobra bio cell 2-3 H, set at 16*. I have better contact and distance/aim with it than my 3W.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

I hit my 3 wood 4-6 times per round on average.  Mostly off the tee, but it's far from dead in my bag.

• Like 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 9.7* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15.9* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 TX
  • Callaway XForged UT 19* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z965 4-P - PX 6.0 LS hard stepped
  • Vokey SM8 51F / SM7 55M / 59K - TI DG 400
  • Scotty Cameron X7 Phantom 34”
  • Titleist -Pro V1X

Not only is my 3W not going anywhere I took the big dog out of the bag completely and almost instantly shaved 6 strokes off my average. Now mind you my 3W is the adjustable Epic Flash set to 12.5 degrees and I carry it 245 so it is a bit of a tweener club for me but I also have a 5W that i use a ton too. 

• Like 2

:cobra-small:  SpeedZone 9* (HZDRUS Smoke Black 60g 6.0)

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3w+ 12.5* (HZDRUS Smoke Black 70g 6.0)

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 5w 17* (HZDRUS Smoke Black 70g 6.0)

:adams-small:  Pro mini 20* (Aldila Tour ATX85H-2.8-S)

:srixon-small: U85 4i 23* (Project X 6.0 Rifle)

:ping-small: I3+ Blades (5-PW)

:callaway-small: JAWS MD5 (52/10S, 56/8C, 60/12W)

:odyssey-small: White Hot XG Rossie

:srixon-small: Z-Star:Snell: MTB-X

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nx7 Pro Slope