Our Sponsors

Finally able to get back on the course after the fire(s) in our area.  The air quality is still in the unhealthy region and the smoke very visible, but we have our member-member Saturday and I needed to get in some swing time.  Had a double bogey and a birdie on both sides and shot 40/40 for an 80.  Not unhappy since I hadn't swung a club in 9 days.

• Like 7

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• Replies 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

Un-bloody-conscious! I still can't believe it but I shot a 79! 57% FIR 33% GIR 30 putts.  

I got a hole in one on the first hole today. Makes for a really enjoyable round. Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Posted Images

83 today in kind of a meh round. It was frustrating because it was on a course I feel like I should score better on. But it's one of those courses where they always seem to do something that makes the course always play tougher than it's rated. Pins on ridges, and greens cut so tight they were more dirt than grass. Lots of big brown patches. Hard to chip when the ball doesn't have anything to grip against. Hit the ball great, only threw away 2 shots and everything else was inconsistent short game.

Trying a new system & back home Sunday, so can only go up from here.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 7

Round this evening started with a disappointment as right when I pulled into the parking lot of the course, I got a FedEx delivery notice for one of those long boxes we love so much. Then things got weird...

My normal drive these days has settled right around 250. Getting it 260+ has been an especially good one. Here were some of my drives that my Garmin measured tonight starting with #1:
299 (wtf?!?!?)

There might have been a couple influencing factors. The course was a bit baked (but not incredibly so). I was playing a Pro V1 the whole night when I usually play a Project(s), something I’m now reconsidering. Last, I’ve been working through some swing changes for the past few months, really focused on the driver and tonight the swing off the tee did (generally) feel free and natural. The only bad drive the whole round was a snap hook into the trees the first drive after the 299 blast (I guess I wanted to see how far I could REALLY hit it).
Besides that, I have to think the Tommy Armour Atomic thought FedEx had delivered that Honma driver I surprisingly won on eBay and was fighting for its life (the Honma wasn’t delivered today, it was a 3w and a couple hybrids).

Overall meh putting kept the scoring from being special, +6 overall so right on the handicap, but some of those drives were certainly fun.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

Driver: Honma TW747 460 VIZARD 50 S-flex
3 wood: GigaGolf TRX 15*  Grafalloy Pursuit M2T S-flex
Hybrids: GigaGolf TRX 18* and 22* UST HDX 70 S-flex
Irons: GigaGolf TRX PowerSlot 5-PW UST HDX 80 S-flex
Wedges: GigaGolf TRX 6.0 50*, 55*, 60* Dynamic Gold S-flex
Putter: Ray Cook M1 (2020) 34”

“Golf is a good walk enhanced”

The smoke is starting to clear out of our area after being at dangerous levels since last Friday.  Our course opened up Wed afternoon, so we made a tee time for this morning.  Got to the course and found that the staff had been busy while closed and plugged and sanded everything.  We played anyway, but it was not worth it.  Shot 88 with one birdie and two doubles.  I average about 31 putts per round... had 40 putts today.  3-putted the first 3 holes.  The greens were so slow, I couldn't get the ball to the hole.  It looked like they hadn't mowed the fairways since last week until yesterday.  Piles of grass all over the fairway and wet from irrigation all night.  The rough hadn't been mowed either; they were mowing it today.  It's usually reasonably short but thick and wiry.  Today it was US Open rough... at least I thought it was.  Thick, tall and wet.  🥴

Not going back until..... Saturday!!  🤣

• Like 7

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Went to the club this morning for our Friday game that tees off at 7:30....only to discover that half the fairways were underwater.....no golf today.

So tomorrow morning I am off to Hilton Head for a week. Have tee times for Sunday and Monday at Palmetto Hall Plantation. Weather should be in the mid 70’s and dry.

I am excited!

I haven’t played since Tuesday and hope to play Monday. Way too much water.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Cold and blustery day 60* with a 20 mph wind off the lake. Ended up with a 91 but was happy with the score. Reasons:

My driver was awesome today - last Saturday at the Ohio gathering I couldn't hit a drive. My wife noticed I was putting my weight on my lead foot. The change to a more even weight distribution combined with a tweak to my grip (slightly less strong) and my drives were going straight and long.

Our course was closed since Sunday for grounds maintenance, including punching and sanding the greens. So my putter contributed to the higher score. I hate putting on recently sanded greens.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

45/37: 82 (+10, net even), 36 putts, 4/14 FIR, 9/18 GIR

Personal best 9 on the back, and personal best GIR! I ended the round with 7 GIR in a row, easily the longest streak of greens in reg I've hit. Had a tough stretch to start, Double, Bogey, Double, Double, but didn't Double again the rest of the round. Honestly could have easily gone lower too; I hit a ton of putts on the perfect line but the greens were so much slower than I'm used to. Dew was still on the greens, and the ball picked up all the water and sprayed it, which I think really slowed them down. 3 3-putts and only 3 1-putts definitely doesn't do it justice.

But my approach game was as good as it's ever been, and I was driving it really well on top of it. I came in the back 9 so well I almost just went back out for another 18!

And missed a 30ish foot eagle putt by about 2 inches! But I'll never complain about tap in birdies 😉 

• Like 9

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

48/39 = 87.   As you can tell, the back nine was in better shape. Three straight doubles on holes 3-5.  Didn't score any better today on our aerated course, but I drove the ball better.  Much better.  Short game and putting on the greens are what's keeping me from my usual 81 round.  

• Like 7

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Cold here this morning, 32, very close to having a frost delay. Went 41/39 for an 80, one of these days I'll get under 80 again probably just thinking about it to much. Today was terrible was if the tee. Two penalty shots on the front that led to bogey and a handful more in the trees, though I like to blame this on the very cold no warmup start. Otherwise hit 10/18 greens which is high for me, and only one three putt.

Not the best day to start Arccos tracking with the short shorts in the cold, but it was fun to see some of the metrics. Of course today was easy to figure out the problem ☺️.

IMG_20200919_070554.jpg

IMG_20200919_070559.jpg

• Like 7

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

I'm really happy tonight. After playing about as badly as I can last Saturday, I had a nice round on Tuesday, and backed it up with an even better one today on the same course I imploded on last week. What a difference a week makes, I improved on last week's debacle by 16 strokes!!!

We had a Tropical storm come through on Thursday, so the course was soaking wet, and we were cart path only. It was also a damp and windy day, so after months of extreme heat and humidity down here, this morning was jacket weather, and the cooler of ice water was replaced with a thermos filled with coffee.

I hit the ball extremely well, but came up short a bunch of times either due to wind or my ball plugging into the soft, wet grass. My short game has been improving and today it really helped me a lot, either getting up and down for par, or saving bogey. I shot 40 - 38, broke 80, and took 1st place by 3 strokes.

Golf is a great game, but it can be an extremely frustrating one also. I said this Tuesday, but I'd like to once again thank my internet friends here who gave me the encouragement they did last week when I was so down on myself and my game. Hopefully an old dog can still learn some new tricks, and I start dealing better with the ups and downs on my own though, LOL. 

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 7

:ping-small: G400 Max 9* set at 10* Alta 

:callaway-small: Rogue 15* Quaranta 50

:callaway-small: Rogue X 3&4 Synergy 60  

PXG 0211 5-GW MMT 70 

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 54-12 & 58-10 

:scotty-small: 2020 Newport 2 33.5"

:yes-small: Tracy 33.5" or :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Double Wide 34"

23 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I'm really happy tonight. After playing about as badly as I can last Saturday, I had a nice round on Tuesday, and backed it up with an even better one today on the same course I imploded on last week. What a difference a week makes, I improved on last week's debacle by 16 strokes!!!

We had a Tropical storm come through on Thursday, so the course was soaking wet, and we were cart path only. It was also a damp and windy day, so after months of extreme heat and humidity down here, this morning was jacket weather, and the cooler of ice water was replaced with a thermos filled with coffee.

I hit the ball extremely well, but came up short a bunch of times either due to wind or my ball plugging into the soft, wet grass. My short game has been improving and today it really helped me a lot, either getting up and down for par, or saving bogey. I shot 40 - 38, broke 80, and took 1st place by 3 strokes.

Golf is a great game, but it can be an extremely frustrating one also. I said this Tuesday, but I'd like to once again thank my internet friends here who gave me the encouragement they did last week when I was so down on myself and my game. Hopefully an old dog can still learn some new tricks, and I start dealing better with the ups and downs on my own though, LOL. 

Hey!  That's what we are here for.  I knew it wouldn't last; happens to all of us now and then.  I'm glad it didn't last very long.

• Like 4

Not so good today...82.  

1208595114_WillowLakes19Sep.png.372a4f9a8e0a530f3914d10ec1960541.png

Drove it pretty well, and long at times.  But the GIR was pretty bad.  I've been following the Planemate protocols for about 3 weeks now and while I'm confident I'm improving in terms of overall contact and quality of strike, I sometimes find my timing getting out of whack and hitting some well struck blocks if that makes any sense.

Overall my short game let me down more than anything, bladed a couple wedges and missed a lot of makeable putts.  Eagled 13 though...that's what I'll remember from the round!

• Like 7

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

We had our club's member-member tournament today.  27 holes, 9 best ball, 9 chapman, and 9 scramble.  My partner and I didn't fare too well.  Not that we played poorly, we just didn't play well.  On the best ball, I shot 39 and as a team we scored even par gross and -3 net.  The scramble was on the inside 9, by far our toughest 9 holes on the course.  We shot even par.  On the Chapman, we stunk it up.  Maybe because we were getting tired or maybe it was just one of those days, but we ended up shooting 6 over for the 9 holes.  Hit some good shots, hit some stinkers.

• Like 7

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I got out for a rare 18 yesterday afternoon and it was a stinker of an 86.  All kinds of excuses available but I just lost about a shot a hole either hitting a bad shot,  miscalculated yardages, a bad bounce on a decent shot, poor chip, not knowing where hazards were on a blind shot lines, 3 putts on aerified greens, being stiff after all the morning lawn work etc.   I hit driver better than I had in a few weeks and it was a beautiful day here so at least I had that.  

The temptation was too much and I took both drivers, had a little competition and by the end of the round the G410 had regained gamer status, so I had to remove it from the classified ad.  I said in the ad if somebody didn't buy the thing I wouldn't be able to resist for too long.  I think I have the golf club version of A.D.D.

• Like 8

Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5 

Ping i20 17* & 23* hybrids, stock stiff shafts

Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5

Ping Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

I got out for a rare 18 yesterday afternoon and it was a stinker of an 86.  All kinds of excuses available but I just lost about a shot a hole either hitting a bad shot,  miscalculated yardages, a bad bounce on a decent shot, poor chip, not knowing where hazards were on a blind shot lines, 3 putts on aerified greens, being stiff after all the morning lawn work etc.   I hit driver better than I had in a few weeks and it was a beautiful day here so at least I had that.  

The temptation was too much and I took both drivers, had a little competition and by the end of the round the G410 had regained gamer status, so I had to remove it from the classified ad.  I said in the ad if somebody didn't buy the thing I wouldn't be able to resist for too long.  I think I have the golf club version of A.D.D.

Just a club ho like the rest of us 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

- 43 (+7)
- 3/8 FIR
- 3/9 GIR (1 birdie)
- 16 Putts (7 2-putts, 2 1-putts)

First post-#CC4 round, which I had to shorten to nine holes because of an outing. That meant teeing off the back nine, which bought me a little more time because you can track your tee shot into the sunrise. Definitely getting to the end of the season both with light and temperature. I couldn't play yesterday because of frost, and this morning it was somewhere right around 40 degrees. Brr.

I didn't swing particularly well, really blocking a lot of stuff right at the moment, but really just killed the round with a triple bogey on No. 11. Short tee shot, blocked 5 iron down the right side into the trees and then trying to get out of the trees I squared up a trunk and sent the ball about 25 yards behind me. Also thinned a 54 wedge on No. 13 after a really nice tee shot to turn a good birdie look and guaranteed par into a bogey, and then slipped on the wet grass on No. 14 which led me to have to lay up twice before reaching the green.

Still, I putted the best I have in a while this morning so I'm happy about that. And I'm not striking the ball terribly, just think I'm swaying/sliding just a little and that's causing the blocked shots. Overall everything has way less movement than I had previously, and that's a good thing because trying to play a 10-20 yard slinging hook on every shot is no easy task.

• Like 9

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.9 (Last Updated Oct. 25, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
5-GW:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2", KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / 
srixon.png.43e385967a8ed97dd1678520c0dc8ef3.png Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

45/42:87 at Palmetto Hall-Arthur Hills course, Par 72, played it at 5631 yards, 67.8/117. I had a birdie on #17 Par 3, 143 yards.

Image1600629213.809463.jpg

Image1600629259.555138.jpgImage1600629279.952847.jpg

Tomorrow we play the Robert Cupp course at Palmetto Hall.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Tour Edge Exotics EXS(11.5*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: Bellum Winmore 707; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

• Like 9

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).