Zeasy

Hardest Course You've Ever Played (in the U.S.)

Our Sponsors

Browsing through the US Open qualifying courses reminded me of a few tough courses I've played. Two of which are La Purisima G.C. in California and Ram Rock G.C. in Texas. 

La Purisima:

scorecard.jpg

Yeah. There's a reason it is a US Open qualifier. Long 3 pars, narrow fairways, long rough, and a layout that demands shot making. Proof? The 3 par 9th, is 227 yards with water left and O.B. 3 yards off the right side of the green. The catch? Tall California trees force you to aim at the left side of the green (large slope headed to the water) and hit a cut, with how much club you take determining if you are laying up or going for the green. Regardless, a cut is required to stay in play.

Ram Rock G.C. 

Ram_Rock_Scorecard.png

Not much needs to be said about this. Other than I shot a 70 on this course (don't ask my average). Notable hole is 16, which I dubbed the "Round Breaker." 417 yards? That's easy. No! A forced cut into a wall of trees and OB with OB straight forces you to play a hybrid or 3 wood off the tee (depending on line, 3 wood is too much) this leaves you with 190 (tee shot is uphill) into a green protected by water on the front and right and a huge tree on the left side and part of the green known for kicking your ball into the trap beneath it. A shot from the bunker leaves you a nasty, slick down hill slope to the water. Good luck!

So these are two of mine. What do you have (must include scorecard)?

• Like 3

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

They had it shut down for Ryder Cup prep when I was there, but the asst pro took me in a cart around Hazeltine National. It's so big, it makes you feel dwarfed. By the numbers, its a beast and I'm not sure we have a harder course by par/slope in the state?

7,674 yards, 78.0/155. That's a LOT of course.

Of the courses locally that I have played, The Wilds in Prior Lake, MN is a pretty tough test.

7,012 yards, 74.4/154.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Well, I can't really decide what the toughest course I've played is, so I'll just go with the toughest holes. Each of those courses had holes that could be "had", but they also had some of the most diabolical.

The Donald Ross at French Lick, specifically holes 6, 13, & 15. It's not often you come across a course with TWO 250yd par 3s and a nearly 700yd par 5.

image.jpg

Mirimichi, hole #15. I have played this course 3 times and I'm +10 on it; its 453yds of pure hell. Last round there I took a 10 after losing a ball off the tee, then getting stuck in the greenside pot bunker. HATE that hole.

image.jpg

• Like 1

This is a cool thread. In my short 3 year golf career I haven't traveled much to play golf yet. Toughest courses I've played are local to me and probably not that difficult in the grand scheme of things but difficult enough for me. The first one is Rocky Gap Resort located in Cumberland, MD (NW part of the state). It's a Jack Nicklaus design. Turns out Jack and I don't get along very well. Very tight course with lots of elevation changes and some absolutely brutal approach shots. The second one that comes to mind is the Links at Gettysburg south of Gettysburg, PA.  High grass, clay bunkers, a fair amount of water, and some brutal undulation in the greens.

Rocky Gap Resort

rockygapscorecard.gif

Links at Gettysburg

linksatgettysburg.jpg

• Like 1

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Bethpage Black 2 days after the 2002 US Open. I have palmed some really hard courses but this on took the cake. I played from the Tees the pros played when I watched round 2 and there were 2 fairway in to the wind I barely reached. I hit the ball well all day and shot an 83 which I was pretty proud of.

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I like this post as well. Be sure you indicate which tee you played from. And by the way... it's not a sin if you don't play the back tee. I sure as hell am not going to pay a hefty green fee to get beat up. I rarely play any tee beyond 6700'. And depending on the course/layout that might even be a little much. Ya know?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I typically play just in front of the tips, depending on the yardage.

• Like 1

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I'm the guy that plays the tips "to get his money's worth." Dan, Bones, Rick and Theoo can attest to that.

I thought the hardest hole at Mirimichi was #9, but #15 is up there.

• Like 1

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I'm the guy that plays the tips "to get his money's worth." Dan, Bones, Rick and Theoo can attest to that.

I thought the hardest hole at Mirimichi was #9, but #15 is up there.

I always play the tips, because that's how I roll. I really don't remember 9. I remember 10, because I kicked it's a$$ and I remember 15, because it kicked my ass.

I always play the tips, because that's how I roll. I really don't remember 9. I remember 10, because I kicked it's a$$ and I remember 15, because it kicked my ass.

Russia was the hole that killed me. 300 yard drive to still have 300 in just demoralized me

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I was going to say Whistling Straits, but its got to be the River Course at Blackwolf Run.  That one 190 yd par 3 with that big oak tree between you and the green (from the tame white tees) where your only shot is a draw over the river or a punch layup (on a par 3) has got to be the toughest I have ever seen.

• Like 1

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I was going to say Whistling Straits, but its got to be the River Course at Blackwolf Run.  That one 190 yd par 3 with that big oak tree between you and the green (from the tame white tees) where your only shot is a draw over the river or a punch layup (on a par 3) has got to be the toughest I have ever seen.

RevKev does have the game for that hole, however, and I'm sure he's played it many times and probably has done very well on it.  Love the draw, I wish I could.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I don't have a scorecard or even the name of the course, but it's in the KC area. Played a tournament with Golf Channel AmTour. The fairways looked like bowling alleys from the tips. And just off the fairways was forest. Not trees - thick thick forest. If you found the fairway, it was fine. Par or birdie were in the cards. But miss the fairway, just re-tee and hope not to have to re-tee it again.

I re-teed a lot that day.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Probably was Aberdeen in South Carolina. I don't remember much of it, but know it was tight and I could not hit a fairway all day. 

However, it was the site of my first eagle from 80 yards out so there is that.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I don't know if it's the hardest but the South Course at Los Serranos Golf Club is a very long course, 7628 from the tips, 7188 from blues, 6743 from whites and 6082 from the forward tees. I'm not a far hitter so playing from the blues multiple times wasn't smart. The final hole is a 677 par 5 from the tips, it's a long way to get there. 

The hardest I've played so far is at Treasure Lake in DuBois, PA. The Gold course...kicks my arse every time, especially the Par 3 17th, hill top to hill top, you better make the green cause it's a long way up from the bottom of the hill.

• Like 2

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Testing: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The numbers on this one are meager, but this course has kicked my ass repeatedly for over 30 years...I absolutely HATE it!  Every time I've ever played I left the course hating golf!  

Holden Hills in Jefferson, MA.  Only 72/126 and 6100 from the tips, but it's a torture chamber for me...

scorecard.jpg

map.jpg

course-aerial.jpg

• Like 2

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'll put my course in as one of the toughest courses I've played, we usually play the blue tees, but i do occasionally play the black.image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 3

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

It's gotta be Hawktree, located just outside of Bismark, ND.  I played it about 10 years ago while visiting my Mother-in Law.  If you did not stay in the fairway, your ball was imediately lost.  The rough had prairie grass which was impossible to find your ball in.  I think I lost a dozen balls that day.  However, the golf experience was terrific.  The holes are in the Buttes with a black pebble like sand made from the by product of the coal fired power plants. My score that day was 103 with several Mulligans, of course.  If I ever go back, I will definitely try it again.

course209_full_full.jpg

Scorecard

Four sets of tees allow you to personalize your game; make your round as challenging or as relaxed as you wish. At Hawktree, we use your handicap along with our exclusive Yardage System to create an exceptional golfing experience for every level of player.  You give them your Handicap and they select the different Tees for you to play....(you don't play the same tee for all 18 holes)

• Like 2

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Hardest course I've played is La Cantera Palmer here in San Antonio. Arnold Palmer designed course, obviously.

I didn't hit one shot outside the tee box all day that wasn't above or below my feet. Slope rating of 142 or something like that. Totally adored the course though, even though my score looked more like a 1980 Denver Nuggets game.

• Like 1

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede