Re-gripping with an air compressor

Jiro

10 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

Lol. Part of the reason I was a late adapter was the compressor. I have had a portable air tank for years but not a compressor. I just happen across a portable Dewalt Booster Pack/Air Compressor from my local hardware store on sale and couldn’t resist anymore. This thing is perfect for grips. I set it to 60psi, pull the trigger of my grip gun, and hit start. It slowly builds up pressure while I keeps some pressure on the grip and just wait for it to slip right on.  I bet I have yet to actually get to 60psi and see no way I could blow out a grip with this thing. 

0C5654BB-C2D4-49B6-91F1-549623EB9285.png

How about a DIY video of this little guy in action?  I presume you have a lever/trigger air nozzle that jams into the end hole?  I've never done my own re-gripping but definitely want to get set-up to do so.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter  (Currently Testing Evnroll ER5v)

16 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

How about a DIY video of this little guy in action?  I presume you have a lever/trigger air nozzle that jams into the end hole?  I've never done my own re-gripping but definitely want to get set-up to do so.

I will try to get something put together this weekend for those interested.  

I do have a gun that I got off eBay. The Dewalt Booster/Compressor hose isn’t very long so I just purchased one of them small coil hoses for an extension. 
Here is the gun. 

EED28521-5A4B-4C79-9FB4-517C8DF65A43.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

You definitely need to do it!

Want to try a different grip?  Buy one, blow off on of your grips, blow the new one on.  If you don't like it, you can put the old one back on.  

• Like 6

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

I have had good fortune getting old taped ones off. If they plug the shaft with some tape originally and the air can get trapped, most will come right off. You can also spray some acetone based degreaser up in there prior to blowing.

Any trouble in blowing off grips installed the traditional method? I'd like to save them if possible..

Tazz

Sent from my Pixel 4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

:wilson_staff_small: Triton 10.5 degree regular flex
:taylormade-small: R580 3 & 5 stiff flex 
1700984641_Screenshot2021-02-09at1_22_31PM.png.826d2fd278c265f02c50f581ec750bf5.png Inazone Single Length 4H
:cobra-small: 5i-SW Cobra Fmax ONE Length regular flex steel
:ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 
:ping-small: 2021 Hoofer 

image.jpeg.f0b1d1d2bc3b2ec6880dd6c9a3b096e9.jpeg   image.jpeg.231a9c2f1e7b1dc46388ceac1039351a.jpeg     image.png.32ebfd5998dc591ff68ab71bb6d09b08.png

Hey all.  This thread has my attention and interest in setting up to do my own re-gripping.  I started looking at the various options and found this DIY video.  I may still buy a small air compressor for other home use but, always one looking for the best bang for the buck, I have a similar 12V/120V tire inflator that has the cone nozzle.  Anyone tried this?

He then does another video showing the use of a PVC pipe to protect against bubbling - and for use on removing grips installed the "regular way".  I presume regular way is with solvent and tape?  How can one tell which method was used for the install?  I suppose just using the PVC pipe in all cases makes that a mute issue?

I may swing buy the second hand store and pick up a "get out of the rocks" iron to serve as a test case...none of my current clubs need new grips.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter  (Currently Testing Evnroll ER5v)

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Hey all.  This thread has my attention and interest in setting up to do my own re-gripping.  I started looking at the various options and found this DIY video.  I may still buy a small air compressor for other home use but, always one looking for the best bang for the buck, I have a similar 12V/120V tire inflator that has the cone nozzle.  Anyone tried this?

He then does another video showing the use of a PVC pipe to protect against bubbling - and for use on removing grips installed the "regular way".  I presume regular way is with solvent and tape?  How can one tell which method was used for the install?  I suppose just using the PVC pipe in all cases makes that a mute issue?

I may swing buy the second hand store and pick up a "get out of the rocks" iron to serve as a test case...none of my current clubs need new grips.

Ooops I completely blanked the video. Sorry about that I got so caught up in actually getting to play that I spaced the video. I will get one put together this weekend for sure. 

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip