Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

torched putter color guide and temperatures

I have read through a few of the threads on torching putters to get different colors and I wonder if there are some folks on here that can help me with a few questions. It looks like McaseyM and RookieBlue have some considerable experience with this.

1) It's a stainless steel putter. Some people think you can't blue these some disagree. I've seen photos of supposed SS putters.

2) What temp do I need to get to the blue? Is there a specific color guide with respect to temperatures? I have access to a glassware oven that can get to 2000 F degrees and I can dial it in to a specific temp. Seems like a nice way to get a uniform finish. 

3) Given the temp control of the oven, I wondered if I should get a stainless steel slug and see how it looks in 100 degree steps.

Any thoughts on how well this would work?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I'm no expert, but I have tried to torch a couple stainless putters, the best I can get is a nice golden color that has some blues and purples that you can see in the right light. Any time I tried to get it a little darker it went from golden to turd brown, and looked horrible, I don't think there is a specific temp to reach, I think you just have to watch the color as it changes. I think you just play around with it and see if you can find what you want. If it doesn't look right, it's easy to strip down, and just try again. Some of the more experienced guys should chime in here, but that's what I've noticed when trying.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'm no expert, but I have tried to torch a couple stainless putters, the best I can get is a nice golden color that has some blues and purples that you can see in the right light. Any time I tried to get it a little darker it went from golden to turd brown, and looked horrible, I don't think there is a specific temp to reach, I think you just have to watch the color as it changes. I think you just play around with it and see if you can find what you want. If it doesn't look right, it's easy to strip down, and just try again. Some of the more experienced guys should chime in here, but that's what I've noticed when trying.

This. In fact, I just did my Evnroll today.

Doing it in an oven would not work unless you had an idea industrial oven or Kilm

IMG_20171006_095858.jpgIMG_20171006_110552.jpg

Exactly, that's what I was talking about. I order to get purples and blues the underlying color is like burnt brown, if you strip it down, and start again, move the torch back and forth quickly you can get it to that nice goldish bronze color in a short time, it doesn't take long, I found that any longer and it just almost burns or looks over done.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Yup I just wanted to darken my putter so I'm happy with the results.

It's simply not possible to get the pretty "gun blue" on stainless steel. Carbon steel only

I think your ER2 came out sick nice work brother.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

You don't need a guide. Polish (more you polish more the colors pop) then degrease and don't touch it with your fingers. Dry completely and then start torching. If you want it even, I recommend warming it with a heat gun first to start. Then use the torch. Keep the torch moving so it transitions evenly. It'll go wheat to dark brown to purple to blue to dark grey/black. Stop as soon as it goes past the dark brown and let it cool. It'll keep changing colors. Other option is to get it to purple and immediately quench it with oil.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

You don't need a guide. Polish (more you polish more the colors pop) then degrease and don't touch it with your fingers. Dry completely and then start torching. If you want it even, I recommend warming it with a heat gun first to start. Then use the torch. Keep the torch moving so it transitions evenly. It'll go wheat to dark brown to purple to blue to dark grey/black. Stop as soon as it goes past the dark brown and let it cool. It'll keep changing colors. Other option is to get it to purple and immediately quench it with oil.

This is right on.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Archived