College Basketball

PMookie

Unbelievable that they not only lost to a 16 seed but got boat raced by them as well. 20 points? Didn't see the game but it sounds like they quit. Or choked after being tied at halftime thinking they would have been up big.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

UMBC took them out, they were really trying hard until they got down by 16 with about 7 minutes to go, you could see the life just disappear. It was mostly because they had absolutely no answer for the 2 guards for UMBC, particularly stopping Lyles from driving to the bucket, but when they were down by 16 they couldn't keep the other guard Maura from getting the ball, once he got it, he dribbled all over the them and they could do a thing to stop him. Beat them like a drum, and the smiles were so awesome to see. Also I want to mention that Virgina handled the loss with some serious class,

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I kinda lost interest this year but starting to get back into it again.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I agree. The past couple yesrs the first round was kinda boring to me.

But this year!!! And not just UMBC, but Buffalo, marshall amd Loyola Ill have all been fantastic stories!

This is March!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

But this year!!! And not just UMBC, but Buffalo, marshall amd Loyola Ill have all been fantastic stories!

This is March!

Just got home in time to see the final seconds of Loyola v Tennessee. Good win for Loyola.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

This is March!

Agree, UMBC & Buffalo great stories!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Well, I said a couple weeks ago here, the idiot who runs the Big Ten has single handedly cost the big ten any chance. Every team that was playing well and had some good momentum has played like poop in the NCAA tourney. They have all struggled.

Good game, but at least I don't have to stay up to watch anymore of this crap. Sitting around for 2 D&$@ weeks killed any chance the Big Ten has. Way to go Big Ten commish. You idiot. Just so you could play at the stupid MSG. It was a good season. A well played game on both sides against Houston. They didn't make any shots the last couple minutes with A lot of poor shot selections. Make a shot and you win.

Disregard my last post. I still feel that way, but when they fouled with 3 seconds to go I shut off the TV, it was over, then after posting my thoughts, I checked the final and it showed Mich 64-63. What happened. I can't beleive it. Wow

Just got home in time to see the final seconds of Loyola v Tennessee. Good win for Loyola.

That was a fun game to see (sorry Big Tazz) Loyola looks like they could  be a team of destiny, after all they have a nun and apparently God on it's side.  :D

Disregard my last post. I still feel that way, but when they fouled with 3 seconds to go I shut off the TV, it was over, then after posting my thoughts, I checked the final and it showed Mich 64-63. What happened. I can't beleive it. Wow

You're just  like all the reporters that were in Charlotte and who didn't stick around to watch the late game, as they wanted to get back to the hotel early.   With less than 10 minutes to go, many of them came back to the arena, so they could be in the  locker room afterward.   

I'm sure you know what happened in the UM game by now, Boone happened!! What a shot.  And man am i glad that went in, because he was absolutely fouled on the shot.  I would have hated to see UM lose because the ref swallowed his whistle.   As I've always said, if it's a foul 10 minutes into the game, then it's a foul with :01 left.  

That was a fun game to see (sorry Big Tazz) Loyola looks like they could be a team of destiny, after all they have a nun and apparently God on it's side. :D

You're just like all the reporters that were in Charlotte and who didn't stick around to watch the late game, as they wanted to get back to the hotel early. With less than 10 minutes to go, many of them came back to the arena, so they could be in the locker room afterward.

I'm sure you know what happened in the UM game by now, Boone happened!! What a shot. And man am i glad that went in, because he was absolutely fouled on the shot. I would have hated to see UM lose because the ref swallowed his whistle. As I've always said, if it's a foul 10 minutes into the game, then it's a foul with :01 left.

I've watched that replay 7 times. The defender never actually makes contact. The shooter spreads his legs, and falls down, no contact initiated by the defender, and it appears no contact was made by the flailing legs of the shooter either. Best place to watch is at the forearm and wrist. Extension is limited when contact is made. The shooter got the full “gooseneck”, no contact.

Now, go back and watch the Charleston shooter get hit on the forearm and no call was made... That was terrible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Oh, BTW #MSU ; Bye! 🤣 Sincerely, 〽️ fans!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I've watched that replay 7 times. The defender never actually makes contact. The shooter spreads his legs, and falls down, no contact initiated by the defender, and it appears no contact was made by the flailing legs of the shooter either. Best place to watch is at the forearm and wrist. Extension is limited when contact is made. The shooter got the full “gooseneck”, no contact.

Now, go back and watch the Charleston shooter get hit on the forearm and no call was made... That was terrible!

There's been some bad officiating at times throughout the games. Kentucky was laying people out on the deck with no calls, and if buffalo touched anyone it was a foul. Houston and Michigan, there were many bad calls in that game for both sides. At the end of the day most of these games have come down to whether or not someone makes a shot or in some cases, makes a free throw. The games have been exciting either way.

I've watched it a few times admittedly not in slo mo or frame by frame. So ill take your informed look. It just seemed impossible that he didn't make any contact.

Great shot though!

Who saw Texas A&M beating UNC that badly. There have been some good teams to get ousted. I think the parity in CBB this season is better than ever before. Could be the year for a much lower seeded team to breakthrough with a championship. Sure is fun to watch.

Who saw Texas A&M beating UNC that badly. There have been some good teams to get ousted. I think the parity in CBB this season is better than ever before. Could be the year for a much lower seeded team to breakthrough with a championship. Sure is fun to watch.

yes it is getting interesting, has my attention.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Due to my computer illiteracy, I find that I fundamentally am off line on weekends, so being a Virginia gentleman and in the name of sportsmanship, let me take this opportunity to convey my congratulations to my Retriever buds on their victory over my Wahoos.  Living where I now find myself, I have several Retriever buds and I assure you that they immediately called me with the results.   But then that's a long time characteristic of Wahoo sport teams, we have a way of finding a means to bring joy to others.  

Due to my computer illiteracy, I find that I fundamentally am off line on weekends, so being a Virginia gentleman and in the name of sportsmanship, let me take this opportunity to convey my congratulations to my Retriever buds on their victory over my Wahoos. Living where I now find myself, I have several Retriever buds and I assure you that they immediately called me with the results. But then that's a long time characteristic of Wahoo sport teams, we have a way of finding a means to bring joy to others.

I didn't call you as I figured you wouldn't get good reception on the Bay Bridge preparing your jump

There's been some bad officiating at times throughout the games. Kentucky was laying people out on the deck with no calls, and if buffalo touched anyone it was a foul. Houston and Michigan, there were many bad calls in that game for both sides. At the end of the day most of these games have come down to whether or not someone makes a shot or in some cases, makes a free throw. The games have been exciting either way.

So them beating buffalo by 20 was because of bad calls? I watched every second of that game. It was called tight on both sides IMO.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

I think we can at least agree that in every game ever played and will be played there are going to be some bad calls. They're going to miss calls and make some questionable calls. I think you may have been the one to say it earlier, it comes down to not making turnovers, making your easy shots, and hitting your free throws. If you do all that the refs won't beat you.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I began refereeing USSSA, AAU and high school athletics while in college.  It allowed me to make some money while not having to work the hours required for a "regular" job.  I ended up being pretty good at it and enjoyed doing it thoroughly.  Therefore, I continued doing it for another 20 years until it got in the way of being a dad.  I've refereed or umpired for some great players like the Seagers (Corey, Kyle, Justin and Crue), Angela Tincher, JJ Redick, Luke Hancock, and everyone that has played at Oak Hill Academy between 2006 and 2014.

With that said, most people have no idea what it takes to referee at a high level.  The difference between a regular high school basketball game and an Oak Hill game is night and day.  You simply cannot prepare for that level of speed and athleticism.  As players get bigger, faster and stronger, it becomes harder for older, often out of shape referees to maintain proper positioning.  Imagine yourself trying to stay in step with any team remaining in the NCAA Tournament!?!?!  Even being a step behind means being out of position, viewing the game from an angle you aren't comfortable with and likely have never seen before.

As a result, top level officials have gotten significantly younger in recent years.  With youth comes inexperience.  With inexperience comes inconsistency.  And so on and so forth! 

I can agree with that. The calls that bother me the most are when they make a call for a push off on one end, then the exact same pushoff happens on the other end and there is no call. I hate that. It happened about 3 times at the end of the K state-UMBC game. When the umbc guy pushed off it was called, when the k state player did it (3 times) it never got called, these were easy calls, you could clearly see the forearm extend into the chest of the defensive player and give a little push. Those are the calls that determine games. Late in the game and it's close. Either call nothing for either team, or call everything, you cannot make a call on one end and then let the same foul go on the other.

I can agree with that. The calls that bother me the most are when they make a call for a push off on one end, then the exact same pushoff happens on the other end and there is no call. I hate that. It happened about 3 times at the end of the K state-UMBC game. When the umbc guy pushed off it was called, when the k state player did it (3 times) it never got called, these were easy calls, you could clearly see the forearm extend into the chest of the defensive player and give a little push. Those are the calls that determine games. Late in the game and it's close. Either call nothing for either team, or call everything, you cannot make a call on one end and then let the same foul go on the other.

That's part of the inconsistency I was speaking of.  I don't like to assume but based on my experience, when the initial push was called, the official was either out of position or realized immediately (or was told by the others) that's not the way they wanted to call the game.  So he swallowed his whistle.  I'm not making excuses.  Officiating has gotten worse over the past decade due in large part, to a lack of consistency.  

The other key issue, at least in my mind, some guys get caught up in the scale and scope of the situation and, knowing future assignments are determined by present performance, get inside their own head.  When someone gets inside their own head with a whistle in their mouth, anything and everything can happen.  I am not a fan of performance based assignments. 

Crews get comfortable with one another and, over time, become keenly aware of the others positioning and tendencies.  Why anyone would think it's a good idea to split crews up come tournament time and have crew assignments based on a subjective grading system is beyond me.  I would much prefer the consistency of a crew that has been together three nights a week since November than three individuals who have likely never worked together and are often meeting for the first time two hours prior to tip-off.

I agree with was been said here. I think ,as a whole, refs have been doing a good job. Games have gotten much more fast paced in the past decade. Sometimes when I think when it was a bad call they slow it down on replay and there it was clear as day. I have umpired is the past, if you wanna get yelled at and threatened to get a beating, just go umpire a little league game. Everything happens so fast fast in real time and you have to make a split second call. Sometimes you get them right other times you miss it. Everyone is human and prone to make mistakes.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I agree with was been said here. I think ,as a whole, refs have been doing a good job. Games have gotten much more fast paced in the past decade. Sometimes when I think when it was a bad call they slow it down on replay and there it was clear as day. I have umpired is the past, if you wanna get yelled at and threatened to get a beating, just go umpire a little league game. Everything happens so fast fast in real time and you have to make a split second call. Sometimes you get them right other times you miss it. Everyone is human and prone to make mistakes.

It's not a lot different umpiring older divisions.  Seemingly every Little League dad thinks his kid is the next Bryce Harper. 

I was umpiring a large, east coast USSSA tournament several years ago with a gentleman who has become famous through viral videos of his antics behind the plate.  As we were leaving the complex, this gentleman was putting his gear into the trunk of his car when a coach hit him in the back of the head with a baseball bat.  He was in a coma for several weeks and suffers from almost constant headaches and short term memory loss as a result of the skull fracture. 

I had a soccer coach follow me home one night about a decade ago.  His wife screaming at him to calm down as he exited his vehicle in my driveway.  I'm 6'-2" tall and weigh 265 pounds and spent my younger years in the military so, it didn't end too well for him.

This is definitely the year of the huge upsets...could be the year where Cinderella finally wins it all.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson