Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Don't Like Patrick? (Reed Haters)

Sluggo42

I think it's important to understand that golf is one of the sports where it may be easier for some to separate the person from the athlete. It is troubling with how 'branded' some guys are, but with some I think you can see that it's all about trying to cultivate this image and that in real life, they may be different.

Really great post, Bergtaur.

Modern media, especially social media, cultivates the illusion that we know these celebrity figures. (Actually, it cultivates the illusion that we know lots of people, like my 900 Facebook friends, most of which are at best friendly acquaintances.)

Distinguishing the athlete, the character, and the person is a great way to put this. Essentially none of us know any of the Tour guys as people. Through status updates and pictures and shared videos, we might feel like we do. But their public face is cultivated (just like ours often is on social media).

In an individual sport like golf, the character and the athlete become deeply intertwined. The TV broadcasts know this: they are not merely showing golf: they are telling stories. Narrative drives compelling TV, and so characters have to be created—whether or not such characters match the "real" person or not. Selling the characters, selling the narratives becomes vital to golf marketing; it becomes a version of pro wrestling, except with unscripted outcomes.

In general, then, I'd argue it's great to argue about the athletes. It's fun to argue about the characters. It's often pointless to argue about the people.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People just love to be angry. Maybe we just need to find a way to fit a little more love into our lives?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

To quote the great film auteur Tommy Wiseau, "If a lot of people loved each other, the world would be a better place to live."

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I'm a fence sitter on this. Personally I started to really like him the first time he played Sunday in Tiger's red and he shoots from the hip. But I see how his attitude(?) could make others not be a fan of his.

Love him or hate him the guy can play

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

All secondhand stories aside (and I've heard some serious head shakers over the years), my personal experience is circa 2008. On that particular day, the "win at all costs" attitude for which he is lauded, took the form of slinking out of the parking lot without paying off the bets he and his despicable partner lost on the golf course. Masters Sunday is possibly my favorite day of the year, but for me personally, watching that low-cunning mouth breather earn a lifetime exemption was a truly stomach turning outcome. The wheel always turns; and in this particular case I believe a lifetime of shooting crooked is the recipe for a bittersweet career accomplishment. Right or wrong, I will take some solace in that prediction.

Pondering a capricious temptation to send him an invoice that includes 10 years of accrued interest, another thought occurred to me - why does a bygone personal slight suddenly feel so raw _and_ why are so many individuals experiencing a similar dilemma? I came up with the following analogy: Assuming Augusta National is golf heaven; it feels like Saint Peter was on Spring Break last week. And with no one working the heavenly gates, a wolf snuck in and slaughtered our most precious lamb. While his name will forever malign the trophy, for those of us who know better, he will _never_ be our Captain America. All good Westerns include a black hat antagonist and no amount of white paint layered over the week's impending media appearances will cover the fact his preferred hat is darker than a black steer's tokus on a moonless prairie night.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

All secondhand stories aside (and I've heard some serious head shakers over the years), my personal experience is circa 2008. On that particular day, the "win at all costs" attitude for which he is lauded, took the form of slinking out of the parking lot without paying off the bets he and his despicable partner lost on the golf course. Masters Sunday is possibly my favorite day of the year, but for me personally, watching that low-cunning mouth breather earn a lifetime exemption was a truly stomach turning outcome. The wheel always turns; and in this particular case I believe a lifetime of shooting crooked is the recipe for a bittersweet career accomplishment. Right or wrong, I will take some solace in that prediction.

Pondering a capricious temptation to send him an invoice that includes 10 years of accrued interest, another thought occurred to me - why does a bygone personal slight suddenly feel so raw _and_ why are so many individuals experiencing a similar dilemma? I came up with the following analogy: Assuming Augusta National is golf heaven; it feels like Saint Peter was on Spring Break last week. And with no one working the heavenly gates, a wolf snuck in and slaughtered our most precious lamb. While his name will forever malign the trophy, for those of us who know better, he will _never_ be our Captain America. All good Westerns include a black hat antagonist and no amount of white paint layered over the week's impending media appearances will cover the fact his preferred hat is darker than a black steer's tokus on a moonless prairie night.

Somebody got a thesaurus for his birthday.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I could break the “LIKE” button liking this post... 🤣🤣🤣 +1000, sir. Well played!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

To the contrary, during my formative years, reading the dictionary/thesaurus was one of my parents' preferred forms of punishment. As a result, I am basically a walking thesaurus; but I appreciate your thoughtful, germane and well constructed reply nonetheless.

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

Sorry you had that experience. However you can't take away his performance this past weekend.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

To the contrary, during my formative years, reading the dictionary/thesaurus was one of my parents' preferred forms of punishment. As a result, I am basically a walking thesaurus; but I appreciate your thoughtful, germane and well constructed reply nonetheless.

If that's the case could you square me away with some synonyms for sarcasm?

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

It's always a contentious issue when a players persona doesn't quite match your own perceptions - and in that regard Patrick Reed is no exception. I guess he just doesn't come across as the all round nice guy that some warm to. He could easily fall into the same category as Sabbatini or Bubba - i.e. brash and annoying at times. Do I like him? Not really, but that doesn't take anything away from his Masters win which was quite impressive really - a solid gutsy performance. Good enough for some, but I don't think he is the overall package that sponsors dream of.

This seriously is one of the most eloquently crafted posts I have ever seen.  The last sentence would make Ole Gray and BigStu blush.  Though I don't have the personal experience, I do find myself agreeing with you.  I believe this is a case of Wiley Coyote finally catching the roadrunner.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

It's always a contentious issue when a players persona doesn't quite match your own perceptions - and in that regard Patrick Reed is no exception. I guess he just doesn't come across as the all round nice guy that some warm to. He could easily fall into the same category as Sabbatini or Bubba - i.e. brash and annoying at times. Do I like him? Not really, but that doesn't take anything away from his Masters win which was quite impressive really - a solid gutsy performance. Good enough for some, but I don't think he is the overall package that sponsors dream of.

It's interesting some of the pros that Nike signs like Patrick, Rory, etc.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

What is it with USA Today. That's the second horribly negative sports celeb in a month.

Why?

Because negativity sells. How many nice or heart warming stories does one see daily.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Dude, you shall forever be known as the thesaurus dude!

The one with the ability to spin the prettiest yarns about anything!

That was a EPIC, just like my driver.

Scoreboard!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

People “dislike” Reed, but then turn around and say that the “like” Tiger, all the brashness, cockiness, and boldness was learned from Tiger. Someone said in the other thread that they don't like reed because he wears red on Sunday, he does that because Tiger did it, not to show him up. He fist pumps, umm I believe Tiger should have made a patent on that. People dislike reed fornhe same reason they say they like Tiger. Off the course Tiger has done some pretty horrible things as an adult, yet he has been given a “pass”. Reed has “possible” done some questionable things 10 years ago as a teenager, and it's OMG this guy has issues I don't like him.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

People “dislike” Reed, but then turn around and say that the “like” Tiger, all the brashness, cockiness, and boldness was learned from Tiger. Someone said in the other thread that they don't like reed because he wears red on Sunday, he does that because Tiger did it, not to show him up. He fist pumps, umm I believe Tiger should have made a patent on that. People dislike reed fornhe same reason they say they like Tiger. Off the course Tiger has done some pretty horrible things as an adult, yet he has been given a “pass”. Reed has “possible” done some questionable things 10 years ago as a teenager, and it's OMG this guy has issues I don't like him.

Yeah we've never done anything questionable as teenagers

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 2 weeks later...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

And is apparently a fan of the Big Lebowski.😉

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

And is apparently a fan of the Big Lebowski.

Which is AWESOME

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Phone's ringing, Dude.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

And is apparently a fan of the Big Lebowski.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

Nope. In fact, the more people dislike him, the more I'm inclined to root for him. I've always been that way.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Nope, not at all!  I like him a lot.  It's amazing how people see half-a-story and think they have all the details.  Use that half-a-story to judge the life of someone they will never meet, let alone, know.  Until we walk a mile in Patrick Reed's shoes, who are we to judge his choices in life?

Edited the last sentence.  Didn't mean to imply "you", STUD.

Archived