Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shot scope case study

I really enjoy the data analysis of all the information collected from these new shot tracking systems. But as several people have commented on the latest shot scope case study, something seems a bit off.

Driver distance indicates a 103ish swing speed.

8 iron distance indicates an 80ish swing speed.

A scratch golfer hasn't noticed his 9 iron goes a full club longer than his 8 iron?

Maybe this is just a theoretical case study. But if so, call it that. Or give an example that is a bit more realistic. It kind of feels like one of those as seen on tv ads where the make some task look so frustrating that you just have to buy their gadget.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

I agree. I am only a 9 handicap but know my distances to the nearest 5 yards or so. I am not sure how a scratch golfer couldn't notice a 20-30 yard gapping problem. I also am not sure how a scratch golfer who is below average in approach, chipping, and putting is really scratch? This seems strange. Is it all made up off the tee?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I love the Shotscope. It's been great and the distances are pretty spot on. It measures actual distances and then it has the P-Distance, which is essentially what it would expect that club to go on a normal shot... essentially throwing out all the bad, partial, punch shots.

Those distances will also matter because weather comes into play. Wind, temps, dew, rain, soft and rock hard ground, flier lie, ball in a trap, etc . It tracks it quite well, but the user has to take into account that it won't be perfect.... especially until you get 15-20 rounds in for a sample size. But look how far it's come from the first one... And it's head and shoulders above the other options out there on the market. Screenshot_20180628-214156.jpegScreenshot_20180628-214152.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Agree with everyone above. This seems like too low hanging of a fruit for an ex professional player to have missed. I will say that if you play in windy conditions you can pretty much disregard the distances it shows you hitting your irons because it can't factor that in and you won't have a true “stock” shot reading. Also whatever clubs you hit a lot of partial shots with will be skewed as well. These were two of the main reasons I traded mine, that and the fact I didn't like wearing the watch.

They do provide a ton of great short game information however. If I played somewhere with clearer prevailing weather I would be tempted to get another one.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I think the P-Distance accounts pretty well for non normal shots. And honestly, with any tracker, one still must know their own game. It's given me great stats that I'm learning from and giving me belief in the distances I have been seeing and getting used to with my new bag setup.

I think the average distances that they pulled are probably correct, but include all the punches, mishits, and such. They should have shown the P-Distance as I have mentioned. And 34 putts for a scratch golfer seems insane.... especially if he's only hitting 49%. I can't figure out how he would stay at a scratch level that way.

Also, if he only hits it about 270 (good, but on a 6800+ yard course, he's going to have a lot of 5, 6 and 7 irons in to par 3's and 4's... I'd guess, which on average is below 50% accuracy according to the numbers..

I just don't understand how he remains a 0 handicap with those stats, distances and seemingly lack of knowledge of his own game. I know why my scores and stats are what they are... At least I believe I do.

I'd be willing to be the next Case Study..... And give all my comments and concerns on the process. I love numbers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Archived