Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Controlling distance out of the bunker

I have been fairly okay getting out of bunkers but am befuddled as to how to control distance. I have used all my wedges,tried varying the distance hitting behind the ball, but get no consistent results that tell me yes this is how it's done. How does one control the distance out of a bunker?

Thanks

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

By varying how much you open the face. The squarer the face, the farther it will go.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Practice

Lots of practice - also technique will vary based on your swings by type, wedge types, condition of the sand you play from.

The last poster said by how much you open the club. That could work but also opening the club increases the bounce which means you will need to swing harder. So you need to practice to figure out how much so.

Generally I do not like opening the club because it creates a variable. I try to keep my weight forward, Ball forward, make the swing steeper and focus on the spot I want the club to enter the sand and swing through it to land on that spot, the farther the spot, the harder I swing. Generally I use the sand wedge for all shots.

I'm an okay sand player who goes through bad periods if I don't practice

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm just happy to get out of the bunker in one shot!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The last poster said by how much you open the club. That could work but also opening the club increases the bounce which means you will need to swing harder. So you need to practice to figure out how much so.

Generally I do not like opening the club because it creates a variable. I try to keep my weight forward, Ball forward, make the swing steeper and focus on the spot I want the club to enter the sand and swing through it to land on that spot, the farther the spot, the harder I swing. Generally I use the sand wedge for all shots.

Sorry, I typed my first reply in a rush before going to work.

What rev says it's correct. You also gotta take into account which wedge you use. I got a 54* with 14 bounce for fluffy sand and a 58* with 8 bounce for hard sand.

I personally just open the face so that my hardest swing doesn't go beyond the green. That will give you a safety buffer... better a little farther than staying in the bunker.

I also have a buddy who plays bunkers by picking the ball clean every time (like playing a fairway bunker). I tried it once and kept skulling the mofo. So your mileage may vary.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

As stated already it is practice. I personally don't change how much I open the club but vary my swing length just like I would with a pitch shot.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

As rev said it comes with practice and getting consistent at making the thumping sound in the sand. Adjusting the club used and amount of loft being added

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Ive always struggled in the sand as well and just always felt good getting out in one shot. Since updating my wedges, Im starting to figure things out. Game changer for sure. 58 high bounce is my go to around the green or buried lies. 54 mid bounce fir those longer bunker shots. Practice and experiment.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

The only thing I recommend is picking one club out of the (greenside) bunker and sticking with it.  Flipping back and forth between multiple clubs for a bunker shot means the odds of you flubbing it increase dramatically.

For me, I have my trusty 58 degree lob wedge.  I do it differently than what others have said.  I don't open or close the face on the wedge to change distance, I change the amount of I take the club back in my swing.  If it's a short sided shot to the green I'll swing half way.  But if the pin is across the green I'll blast out with a full swing.

But no matter the distance, I leave the face wide open and pop it out.  It's just what I've done for 40+ years, and it's pretty consistent for me.  And the last time I remember having issues getting out of a bunker with hozel rockets, I fired that wedge and got a new one.

Most will tell you it's not the arrow, but the indian, but that case, it was definitely me not liking that arrow.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I always hit my 58* out of a green side bunker no matter what. Bunker play is probably the best part of my game. For me it is mostly feel and instinct. But I think I always open up the face and swing the same amount. I then hit a little bit closer to the ball for it to go farther and a little farther back from the ball for it to go shorter.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

By varying how much you open the face. The squarer the face, the farther it will go.

Same here I open the face for distance and height 

However, I was absolutely amazed watching the guys play out of the tall bunkers at the Open. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My course doesn't have too many bunkers. But the ones it does have are nasty. No consistency, never raked, full of stones. The range has a practice bunker, but it is in a weird spot and has a high lip so fairway bunker practice is out of the picture.

But, being a short game guru I practice as much as I can, I'm .3 miles from a giant beach, when I get bored I go down there and practice bunker shots. Plus my yard is 70% sand, so I made a “bunker” for practice or as my kids say a “sand box for dad”...

Around the green I only use the 56, and I use a fairly wide stance to shallow out the strike, that way if you catch it thin, or heavy it won't have a whole lot of difference in result. Just watch Justin Rose for an example, nice and wide, fairly square to the target and a slight “sitting stance”. Ball middle/front

For distance regulation I aim for the flag if I am below the hole. If I have a crap lie I'll aim to get a nice chunk and run.

Bunker stuff is still a work in progress, I like to have a bunch of shots, and I only have 2 right now.

But the main thing with bunker shots is to be 100% committed, its almost impossible to swing too hard, if your timid you'll scoop it and stay in the bunker.

Sorry for the ramble that probably didn't answer your question.

Sorry, I typed my first reply in a rush before going to work.

What rev says it's correct. You also gotta take into account which wedge you use. I got a 54* with 14 bounce for fluffy sand and a 58* with 8 bounce for hard sand.

I personally just open the face so that my hardest swing doesn't go beyond the green. That will give you a safety buffer... better a little farther than staying in the bunker.

I also have a buddy who plays bunkers by picking the ball clean every time (like playing a fairway bunker). I tried it once and kept skulling the mofo. So your mileage may vary.

Yours was very good advice - it works and it's certainly the old school classic way to hit sand shots.

Regardless of what way you do it you need to practice. Just like you need to practice chipping and putting. My round Sunday was an impromptu sand session. :)

Good thing I've been working on those shots. I got up and down 2/4 and hit it in perfect position from the trap that I drive it into on the par 5.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I started playing golf on a course with no bunkers.  Played there for 15 years, so bunkers have never been friendly to me.  My course now has lots of sand, and I have been in it more than I like.  This year I bought the Callaway Sure Out wedge, but I suppose any of the big bounce wedges will work as long as the sand is not hardpan.  I get out all the time.  Controlling the distance is something I'm working on now.  I'm doing better by playing the ball back a little for lower, longer shots and forward for higher, shorter shots.  With the Sure Out I don't open my stance.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My problem is controlling distance around the green. Let's say I'm 130 out I'd usually use an aw/pw but I always club up out of sand. Has done me good but around the green I've tried the out to in swing for a little more distance

Archived