Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Lie Angle Adjustment

One of the guys in our groups is a bit of a tinkerer with golf clubs.  He recently picked up a used set of irons and went about doing his own lie adjustments - even made his own lie board and protractor tool clamp. While making adjustments, he noticed a small area on one club that looked like the start of crack.  Having adjusted too much upright, he tried to re-adjust and pop!  Just for grins, I was poking around on the internet on iron lie adjustment and ran across this info.  It will be interesting to see if his clubs are among those listed as not recommended for adjustment.

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/Iron Models Not Rec.pdf

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Bummer! I was surprised by some of the irons on the list. I remember the Callaway irons listed being difficult due to the bore-thru but all the Cleveland stuff surprised me. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I knew about Cleveland Wedges. Well to be honest I found out about them by accident
Seemed like Vokey wedges were also a don't bend warning to retailers back in the mid 2000s.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I was surprised by the Cleveland clubs as well. Seems most have an issue with the "CG material breaking". Wonder what Cleveland was putting in these to configure CG. A lot of the others don't surprise me all that much though. Most of these (excluding Cleveland) are in the GI or SGI categories where various alloys and other materials are used to increase ball speed and improve sound. Anytime you use a "stronger" metal to thin out the face or move CG around, you risk the chance of producing something that's brittle and prone to breakage during loft/lie adjustments. I'm guessing the OEM's would have used heat to make adjustments which complicates the task and is why it's better to just ship it to them sometimes. Certainly better when you can blame someone else for breaking your club and have them remedy that somehow (i.e. money, discount, or replacement club).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Cleveland CG are notorious for being impossible to bend, I left mine for a forged iron almost solely to bend em upright. Good clubs though. 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I thought that you could only adjust forged irons ....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

21 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Many cast irons and wedges can be adjusted, but there's often a greater risk for breakage and you may not be able to bend them as much as a forged club. Before adjustable sleeves, you could bend drivers and fairway woods a little too but I think that was mostly common among tour pros and maybe high ranking amateurs only.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I don't know if they're online, but if you've ever seen videos of Ping bending their own irons they just beat the crap out of the hosel with a rubber mallet to change lie angle. It's kind of awesome

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

8 minutes ago, gaussman1 said:

I don't know if they're online, but if you've ever seen videos of Ping bending their own irons they just beat the crap out of the hosel with a rubber mallet to change lie angle. It's kind of awesome

Check this one out starting around the 8:20 mark...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Interesting video.  As they say sometimes you don't really want to know how the sausage is made... in this case, not an issue.  The "hammer to fit, paint to hide" approach to lie adjustment is kind of funny though.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Watched 5he whole video, nice tour.....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Interesting. At the top of the page...

Bridgestone

Clubs have a 1 year warranty. Adjustments by someone other than Bridgestone will violate the warranty. Bridgestone does not recommend adjustments beyond +/- 3°

Last year I had a set of Bridgestone JGR forged irons adjusted -2º by my local golf shop.  The guy that did it is a good friend, and I watched him do it.  He had a hard time bending them; said they were one of the hardest irons to bend that he had ever done.  I wonder what makes those Bridgestones so difficult to bend?  Forged are supposed to be easier.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived