Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

First Tournament?

I'm playing in my first tournament in a weeks time, I've only ever played with friends. 

I would really like to get advice from you guys. Its Match play and i'm guarenteed two rounds. I know ill be nervous and I'll have bad shots like always but what have you done that made a great tournament?

Thanks for your time.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

Hi!

Well easy to say to just relax and play your game...

In truth as we all know golf is a sport very mental and anxiety does not help.

I think that match play is actually a better way to start tournaments, because if you have a bad shot and lose the hole it will not compromise the rest of the match but just that hole.

You will have of course bad shots, and your opponent too, believe me.

If you play with handicap, try play strategy. When you have strokes consider that a bogey is a great score, so you can just use your safe shots...

But mostly just ENJOY. We r not doing this for living so let’s never forget this

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

The main thing is to relax, focus, and have fun. It's golf, enjoy the day and don't let a bad shot or a bad hole get you down. Since it is match play you get points for the holes you win with a lower score than your opponent. Don't focus on the score or the points just play your best and have fun.  You will be surprised how well you will do when you are not focused on the numbers. We all love the game and so do the people you will be paired with. Chances are they are probably as nervous as you are. Who knows you might wind up with a new golf buddy!

Do well and let us know how it goes. Take pictures.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Breathe deeply. Hit something you are certain of off the first tee. I'd recommend 7 iron or 6 iron as most people feel confident with one of those. A good first shot helps ease the first tee jitters.

My first two seasons (16 tournaments or so), I was hands shaking, hyperventilating nervous. This resulted in poor tee shots of the first three tees normally. By 4 I'd calm down, but it was too late by then.

As I've played more, theresno more jitters. What I've learned from five years of tourney play is minimize mistakes and compounded mistakes. Don't try the miracle shot to make up for a poor tee shot. Have a short memory. Forget the bad shot/hole and move on. Sometimes bogey is ok. Learn to miss to your strength.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks for all the great advice, I'm really looking forward to playing this week. I'll remember to breath and forget the bad and concentrate on the good shots. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

My best advice is to stay positive. It's not that you have to play in a tournament, it's that you get to play golf. Enjoy being out on a beautiful course.

And don't try hero shots, play to your strengths and take your medicine.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

20 hours ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

I know ill be nervous and I'll have bad shots like always 

You don't need to know anything more than this. Forget each shot as soon as you hit it, good or bad. 

Have fun and enjoy it. It is just golf anyway you slice it. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

Thanks for all the great advice, I'm really looking forward to playing this week. I'll remember to breath and forget the bad and concentrate on the good shots. 

I'll echo everyone else, go out, breathe, try your best, accept when your best in the moment best isn't as good as you would hope, and enjoy the day.  Once you've survived the first one, then you can start to think about strategies and tactics.

Oh, one thing, I hope you've played informal match play so I hope you're aware of the rules surrounding match play.  Bf you're not certain of what the rules require in a specific situation, you can always ask your opponent or anyone else about the rules.  That's not advice.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

All other comments are very good. I feel that match play is a little different, you will be playing against another golfer and your total score does not matter. You should play based on what your competitor does on each shot and each hole, if he hits a bad shot make sure you are conservative and keep your ball in play. Hit fairways and greens, then 2 putt. Just capitalize on your competitors mistakes and be patience.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

My advice is 

1.Don’t try or concentrate  any harder than normal.

2. Remember almost no one  you will think or care what you Shot or if you win or lose.

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

17 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Bf you're not certain of what the rules require in a specific situation, you can always ask your opponent or anyone else about the rules.  That's not advice.  

You can always ask but that doesn't mean you should take it.

... I would caution you from taking/accepting another players advice. Who made them the tournament rules expert? They are not.  (speaking from experience which once and got me DQ'd. My stupidity.) When in doubt play another ball from the position of the suspected infraction and record both scores. Then, and before you sign and turn in your card; seek a ruling from the professional staff or committee.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

31 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

You can always ask but that doesn't mean you should take it.

... I would caution you from taking/accepting another players advice. Who made them the tournament rules expert? They are not.  (speaking from experience which once and got me DQ'd. My stupidity.) When in doubt play another ball from the position of the suspected infraction and record both scores. Then, and before you sign and turn in your card; seek a ruling from the professional staff or committee.

That in itself is a potential issue, in match play you don't have the right to play a second ball, that only applies in stroke play competition.  In match play, you can make a choice as to how to proceed.  Your opponent, if he thinks you were wrong, must notify you in a timely manner that he is asking for a ruling on the issue.  If no official is immediately available, you continue play, and get the ruling at a later time.  The reason I mention asking your opponent, if the two players agree on a course of action, their decision stands, as long as they aren't intentionally agreeing to break a rule.  Even if their decision is incorrect under the rules, it stands.  If anyone wants to read more about resolving Rules disputes during a match, its in 20.1.b for match play.

Bot for the OP, in his first proper competition, in match play, I didn't want to go to far into the Rules rabbit hole.  Go out and have fun.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia