Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

FINAL Standings:

Final.png

NOTE: If you want to catch up quickly, check the first post in this thread for key links and week-by-week summaries.

Our Sponsors

45 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

How's the bounce feel on the MIM wedges?  I'm curious do you notice a difference with the notch taken out in the back?  

Also, did any of the testers get the widelow grind?  Is that grind comparable to the T grind from Vokey?

The bounce feels good.

My SM7s were 52.08F, 56.10S, and 60.12D.  The MIM Black wedges go less in bounce for me, but still have all three grinds.  52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, and 60.04 Widelow.

So far I like the widelow a lot.  Not sure if I would compare it to the T grind, probably more along the lines of the Low bounce K option.  I'd say its not as suited to opening the face up on a firm lie.

• Like 8

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S vs :titelist-small: 818 H1 - Tensei Blue 70s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And now, the time has come. Dare I say, this challenge has been the best one yet. It's feedback from the competitors and fans like this that have really driven the challenge to another level. Thanks t

Before I get any further into this introduction, I first want to say a big THANK YOU to Cobra/Puma/Arccos and MyGolfSpy. Not only is this one of the biggest and best testing opportunities on the MGS F

I’m Dave Hains, my friends call me “Hammer” and you know me here as HeadHammer or as I have recently been monikered - The Quiet Assassin. I’ve always been a fan of everything COBRA. As a young boy I w

Posted Images

2 hours ago, edingc said:

#MGSCobra2020 #CobraConnect Wood/Hybrid Review - edingc, a.k.a. #TeamCalvesLikePhil

mainwoodphoto_1280.jpg.9dced170b2eaf590e4d14c78dbdd8e55.jpg

We're kicking off the reviews in spectacular fashion with the Cobra SpeedZone woods and hybrids! After success with the F9 series of clubs, does Cobra have another winner on its hands with the SpeedZone line?

As a reminder, I am gaming the SpeedZone Xtreme driver, the regular SpeedZone 3 wood, and the 17 degree SpeedZone hybrid.

First Impressions

I ordered every club shorter than stock length across the bag. For the driver, this meant going to a “Tour Length” 44.5” shaft (one inch short). The fairway wood is 3/4 inch short, and the hybrid is 1/2 inch short. What a difference that makes! For someone like myself who is 5’11” but has long arms, these things felt wonderful right from the first few waggles out of the box.

Cobra really brought its A game to the headcovers this season as well, and I like that they are matched to the colorway of the club, though the OCD side of me wishes the hybrid cover used white stitching also.

Milled faces are all the rage for Cobra again this year, with the Infinity Face debuting on the SpeedZone driver. The milling allows Cobra to tighten tolerances, and in theory each face should be exactly the same as there is no hand-polishing (read: human error) in the process.

headcoers.jpg.179ac21e621cf3de8ce9b19ad879f5a8.jpg

infinity_face_1280.jpg.921e358dcc012be3789418d4a15005dc.jpg

Looks - 4.5/5 Stars
4halfstars.png.28f45dda35c3930575c6d6a86c936636.png

driver_quad.jpg.85e2400b95e9e5cc4feeccd0f4f88e8a.jpg

I was previously gaming the Callaway Epic Flash, which shares a similar elongated shape with the SpeedZone Xtreme. Ordered in the matte white finish, the SpeedZone Xtreme is much more attractive to my eye in every single way compared to the Epic Flash. The matte finish screams “stealth bomber,” and the white and red accents provide a wonderful, yet understated color contrast. While the elongated shape makes for a larger footprint versus the standard SpeedZone, I think even better players would have no issue playing this driver.

The Infinity Face provides an excellent clubface alignment aid, and as a bonus you can usually see the imprint of your golf ball after a well struck shot. To me the face appears to sit slightly open, which I prefer.

3w_quad.jpg.d95f6aaffe1c73ec5fffc5c42fb2f096.jpg

The color scheme transfers flawlessly to the 3 wood as well. The 3 wood is a traditional shape that should get along well with almost everyone.

The matte finish does not reflect sunlight, and the addition of small aerodynamic ridges on the crowns of both the driver and the wood complete the look. 

hybrid_quad.jpg.dc2f4261b1a0a2285e73a54c0d5a425d.jpg

I love that despite switching to yellow on the hybrids, Cobra again went with a matte finish instead of gloss. Deducting half a star here for not offering the same white scheme option found on the woods for the hybrids.

Sound & Feel - 4/5 Stars
4stars.png.d6a456c2dcef9d72754e24092fda75cb.png

Coming from the Epic Flash, perhaps one of the most notoriously awful sounding drivers, the SpeedZone Xtreme is a wonderful change. As a former baseball player, the SpeedZone Xtreme sound reminds me of an old-school aluminum bat. The sound reverberates slightly on impact. I think the sound has a lot to do with my impression of the feel of the face, which to me has a moderate trampoline effect/feeling at impact.

I am slightly disappointed in the feel/sound of the 3 wood. Using another baseball analogy, the 3 wood feels and sounds more like a traditional wood bat. A great feel and solid thwack sound when hit on the sweet spot, but slightly hollow and dead when not squared up. Admittedly, I am not one to use a 3 wood often or hit it well, but I also had the same experience last year when demoing the F9 (which ultimately lost out to the Mizuno GT-180 I had in my bag prior to receiving the Cobras).

Basic Characteristics - 4.5/5 Stars
4halfstars.png.20958064f21f18e24e205e1ed42a19df.png

I fit into the 9 degree SpeedZone Xtreme head, which is adjustable down to 7.5 degrees and up to 10.5 degrees. Based on my swing, the fitter recommended I loft down to 7.5. After a few range sessions I am currently playing both woods at their stated lofts.

I had my Epic Flash lofted down, but I still managed to hit very high balls with it. The SpeedZone Xtreme actually is producing lower launch conditions (to my eye and verified as best I can with my FlightScope Mevo), which is partially why I’ve opted to keep it at the stamped loft.

I’m not one to work the driver (or any wood/hybrid). My goal with the driver is to not be in trouble. This is where the SpeedZone Xtreme is by far a better driver for me than the Epic Flash. I am finding the near middle of the SpeedZone a lot more often, and as such, my misses are not nearly as poor as with the Epic Flash.

face_spray_1280.jpg.5d465e184646da029da183df0c780c78.jpg

I do not think the SpeedZone Xtreme is the longest driver I’ve hit. On a well-struck shot, early indicators from my range sessions with my Flightscope Mevo indicate ball speeds and carry distance may be just slightly less than those of the Epic Flash. However, again, the forgiveness of the SpeedZone Xtreme shines because on mishits, the ball speeds of the SpeedZone Xtreme are consistently higher than those of the Epic Flash.

At 15 degrees, I hit a monster 3 wood from the tee during my practice round. A very high, penetrating flight, that nearly matched the distance of my driver. There is more work to be done on becoming more consistent with this club. I know the new design of the baffler rails will make this club wonderful from the turf as well.

The hybrid plays a nice lower bullet with some run out. I am hoping to experiment with this club some more to see if it would be a viable option off of the tee when the driver isn’t cooperating.

On Course Performance - 5/5 Stars
5stars.png.c4defa4df5e491d6d2363848e8db58c6.png

Two shots stand out to me with the SpeedZone Xtreme:

arccos_driver.jpg.467c1cbc70050e8bade4ef5dfca79e44.jpg

The first was a gross mishit that held a reasonably straight line and still traveled a very long way. The second was a ball hit on the screws with some run out. I believe these two holes highlight just what the SpeedZone Xtreme can do.

I only hit the 3 wood and hybrid during my practice round, and they produced very nice shots as well, but I don't have the Arccos data to back that assertion up.

Miscellaneous - 4/5 Stars

I was spoiled with the adjustable cog system Callaway uses on their driver shaft adapters. Callaway's system maintains the orientation of the grip regardless of the driver setting. Cobra does not have this technology in their adapters. As I opted for the Lamkin Sonar grips, which have white alignment reminders on them, they move out of position whenever the loft of the wood shafts is changed.

Play It or Trade It - 3.5/5 Stars
3halfstars.png.c8f3a687d7bdbbc4bc797662c1845e14.png

The SpeedZone Xtreme is staying in the bag well beyond the conclusion of this challenge. It is just too forgiving across the face to not play, and I love the sound and feel.

The SpeedZone 3 wood is also very likely to remain in the bag, if only because the baffler rails are the real deal when playing from the turf, and because I enjoy the shortened Aldila Rogue Silver shaft. In a head-to-head contest with other 3 woods with shortened shafts, I’d likely choose something that sounded better to my ear.

I have mentioned earlier in this thread about questioning my gapping and the usefulness of the 17 degree hybrid. Honestly, unless I get really good off of the tee with it, that club is the most likely to leave my bag. 

Woods and Hybrids Overall Rating - 4/5 Stars

Cobra may not get the press or tour play of Callaway or TaylorMade, but they produce some very, very good drivers. My goal this year and throughout this challenge is to improve my game from the tee box. I think the SpeedZone Xtreme is just the club I should be using to do so!

Great review of the Cobra wood lineup, @edingc! You did a great job capturing the sounds of all of them and like you, that SpeedZone sounds so much better than the Epic Flash. I'll also agree that the Callaway Opti-Fit is a wonderful system that I wish more OEM's could or would duplicate just because I like the Golf Pride Align grips. 

I'll also say that Cobra makes some fantastic fairway woods, they're long, forgiving, and easy to launch. I love the F9's I just picked up. I do wish I could have gotten the headcovers in the yellow/black scheme to match my clubs instead of the avalanche white, but they still look good. 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, edingc said:

#MGSCobra2020 #CobraConnect Wood/Hybrid Review - edingc, a.k.a. #TeamCalvesLikePhil

We're kicking off the reviews in spectacular fashion with the Cobra SpeedZone woods and hybrids! After success with the F9 series of clubs, does Cobra have another winner on its hands with the SpeedZone line?

As a reminder, I am gaming the SpeedZone Xtreme driver, the regular SpeedZone 3 wood, and the 17 degree SpeedZone hybrid.

First Impressions

I ordered every club shorter than stock length across the bag. For the driver, this meant going to a “Tour Length” 44.5” shaft (one inch short). The fairway wood is 3/4 inch short, and the hybrid is 1/2 inch short. What a difference that makes! For someone like myself who is 5’11” but has long arms, these things felt wonderful right from the first few waggles out of the box.

Cobra really brought its A game to the headcovers this season as well, and I like that they are matched to the colorway of the club, though the OCD side of me wishes the hybrid cover used white stitching also.

Milled faces are all the rage for Cobra again this year, with the Infinity Face debuting on the SpeedZone driver. The milling allows Cobra to tighten tolerances, and in theory each face should be exactly the same as there is no hand-polishing (read: human error) in the process.

Looks - 4.5/5 Stars

I was previously gaming the Callaway Epic Flash, which shares a similar elongated shape with the SpeedZone Xtreme. Ordered in the matte white finish, the SpeedZone Xtreme is much more attractive to my eye in every single way compared to the Epic Flash. The matte finish screams “stealth bomber,” and the white and red accents provide a wonderful, yet understated color contrast. While the elongated shape makes for a larger footprint versus the standard SpeedZone, I think even better players would have no issue playing this driver.

The Infinity Face provides an excellent clubface alignment aid, and as a bonus you can usually see the imprint of your golf ball after a well struck shot. To me the face appears to sit slightly open, which I prefer.

The color scheme transfers flawlessly to the 3 wood as well. The 3 wood is a traditional shape that should get along well with almost everyone.

The matte finish does not reflect sunlight, and the addition of small aerodynamic ridges on the crowns of both the driver and the wood complete the look. 

I love that despite switching to yellow on the hybrids, Cobra again went with a matte finish instead of gloss. Deducting half a star here for not offering the same white scheme option found on the woods for the hybrids.

Sound & Feel - 4/5 Stars

Coming from the Epic Flash, perhaps one of the most notoriously awful sounding drivers, the SpeedZone Xtreme is a wonderful change. As a former baseball player, the SpeedZone Xtreme sound reminds me of an old-school aluminum bat. The sound reverberates slightly on impact. I think the sound has a lot to do with my impression of the feel of the face, which to me has a moderate trampoline effect/feeling at impact.

I am slightly disappointed in the feel/sound of the 3 wood. Using another baseball analogy, the 3 wood feels and sounds more like a traditional wood bat. A great feel and solid thwack sound when hit on the sweet spot, but slightly hollow and dead when not squared up. Admittedly, I am not one to use a 3 wood often or hit it well, but I also had the same experience last year when demoing the F9 (which ultimately lost out to the Mizuno GT-180 I had in my bag prior to receiving the Cobras).

I fit into the 9 degree SpeedZone Xtreme head, which is adjustable down to 7.5 degrees and up to 10.5 degrees. Based on my swing, the fitter recommended I loft down to 7.5. After a few range sessions I am currently playing both woods at their stated lofts.

I had my Epic Flash lofted down, but I still managed to hit very high balls with it. The SpeedZone Xtreme actually is producing lower launch conditions (to my eye and verified as best I can with my FlightScope Mevo), which is partially why I’ve opted to keep it at the stamped loft.

I’m not one to work the driver (or any wood/hybrid). My goal with the driver is to not be in trouble. This is where the SpeedZone Xtreme is by far a better driver for me than the Epic Flash. I am finding the near middle of the SpeedZone a lot more often, and as such, my misses are not nearly as poor as with the Epic Flash.

I do not think the SpeedZone Xtreme is the longest driver I’ve hit. On a well-struck shot, early indicators from my range sessions with my Flightscope Mevo indicate ball speeds and carry distance may be just slightly less than those of the Epic Flash. However, again, the forgiveness of the SpeedZone Xtreme shines because on mishits, the ball speeds of the SpeedZone Xtreme are consistently higher than those of the Epic Flash.

At 15 degrees, I hit a monster 3 wood from the tee during my practice round. A very high, penetrating flight, that nearly matched the distance of my driver. There is more work to be done on becoming more consistent with this club. I know the new design of the baffler rails will make this club wonderful from the turf as well.

The hybrid plays a nice lower bullet with some run out. I am hoping to experiment with this club some more to see if it would be a viable option off of the tee when the driver isn’t cooperating.

The first was a gross mishit that held a reasonably straight line and still traveled a very long way. The second was a ball hit on the screws with some run out. I believe these two holes highlight just what the SpeedZone Xtreme can do.

I only hit the 3 wood and hybrid during my practice round, and they produced very nice shots as well, but I don't have the Arccos data to back that assertion up.

I was spoiled with the adjustable cog system Callaway uses on their driver shaft adapters. Callaway's system maintains the orientation of the grip regardless of the driver setting. Cobra does not have this technology in their adapters. As I opted for the Lamkin Sonar grips, which have white alignment reminders on them, they move out of position whenever the loft of the wood shafts is changed.

The SpeedZone Xtreme is staying in the bag well beyond the conclusion of this challenge. It is just too forgiving across the face to not play, and I love the sound and feel.

The SpeedZone 3 wood is also very likely to remain in the bag, if only because the baffler rails are the real deal when playing from the turf, and because I enjoy the shortened Aldila Rogue Silver shaft. In a head-to-head contest with other 3 woods with shortened shafts, I’d likely choose something that sounded better to my ear.

I have mentioned earlier in this thread about questioning my gapping and the usefulness of the 17 degree hybrid. Honestly, unless I get really good off of the tee with it, that club is the most likely to leave my bag. 

Cobra may not get the press or tour play of Callaway or TaylorMade, but they produce some very, very good drivers. My goal this year and throughout this challenge is to improve my game from the tee box. I think the SpeedZone Xtreme is just the club I should be using to do so!

Crushing this review so far! You other clowns are in trouble.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 58.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5

18 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great review of the Cobra wood lineup, @edingc! You did a great job capturing the sounds of all of them and like you, that SpeedZone sounds so much better than the Epic Flash. I'll also agree that the Callaway Opti-Fit is a wonderful system that I wish more OEM's could or would duplicate just because I like the Golf Pride Align grips. 

I'll also say that Cobra makes some fantastic fairway woods, they're long, forgiving, and easy to launch. I love the F9's I just picked up. I do wish I could have gotten the headcovers in the yellow/black scheme to match my clubs instead of the avalanche white, but they still look good. 

the Yellow/back head covers are available on cobragolf.com 😬 (not to enable you or anything)

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S vs :titelist-small: 818 H1 - Tensei Blue 70s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

4 hours ago, edingc said:

First Impressions

Looks - 4.5/5 Stars

Sound & Feel - 4/5 Stars

Excellent stuff @edingc, is it just the gapping that puts you off the hybrid or does it not suit your game as well?

• Like 5

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

4 hours ago, edingc said:

First Impressions

Looks - 4.5/5 Stars

Sound & Feel - 4/5 Stars

Super review here. Really like the 4 frame pictures. Grouping on the driver looks pretty awesome that will definitely keep you out of trouble!

• Like 3

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

5 hours ago, edingc said:

First Impressions

Looks - 4.5/5 Stars

Sound & Feel - 4/5 Stars

Well done 👏.  I just noticed that the driver and 3w have turbulators... wonder where that idea came from? 🤔

Spoiler

Answer: it rhymes with ring, and sting, and fling... 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

2 hours ago, B.Boston said:

the Yellow/back head covers are available on cobragolf.com 😬 (not to enable you or anything)

Enabling.... It's what we do here 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Driver:  PXG 811x Gen1, HZRDS Smoke Yellow 60g S

Fariway:   :titelist-small: 917 F2, 3-Wood Fujikura Blue 

Hybrid:   :ping-small: G410 18*

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  EXO Rossie 34.5" (Tester) 

49 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well done 👏.  I just noticed that the driver and 3w have turbulators... wonder where that idea came from? 🤔

Reveal hidden contents

Answer: it rhymes with ring, and sting, and fling... 🤣

"Use of turbulators, or vortex generators, to energize the boundary layer of a lifting surface has been part of aerodynamics design for decades. Manipulating that technology into golf club design and generating a small increase in club head speed by reducing drag coefficients is the clever bit. You're still gonna have to bulk up bro if you want to get to 209 mph on your ball speed. Just sayin'."  - Bryson D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Driver:  PXG 811x Gen1, HZRDS Smoke Yellow 60g S

Fariway:   :titelist-small: 917 F2, 3-Wood Fujikura Blue 

Hybrid:   :ping-small: G410 18*

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  EXO Rossie 34.5" (Tester) 

3 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

So pretty, and they match! Screenshot_20200727-202637_Firefox-01.jpeg.ab85a94de17dceb6af40bb8683829892.jpeg

It’s only 18?!?! Need a buy it now option!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

15 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

Cobra Woods Review

Carbon fiber top with turbulators and infinity face driver. Carbon fiber top with split rails bottom fairways make the Cobra lineup unique and a must try at a club fitting.621852397_IMG_2151(1).JPG.ac588dd0b1a2d3106bad00d6c5ceb31b.JPG

1447509423_IMG_2154(2).JPG.3e7640d74a2a288c9598779873d410bc.JPG

168648786_IMG_2152(1).JPG.0572e84f992aaaa41259c6c5ed0ea3aa.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG.e32321a183c0418835a674babbca7c1c.JPG

1722234338_IMG_2156(1).JPG.36ec2f4b1d3a40632f83d7dd6822f24e.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG.043870aea5d0ddf5179584379daa1fbe.JPG

1489611265_IMG_2160(2).JPG.d38ef4b7c5d25e5bb2ca371dcb18297d.JPG

They have adjustability of lie and loft as well as weighting. I have hit these clubs at my fitting and one range session and one competitive round and one weekly (with buddies) round. My initial impression is that the Cobra SpeedZone Driver and Fairway metals are comparable to my current gamers Titleist TS2 Driver and 15* 3 metal. I have not used a 5-fairway metal in many years, opting for strong lofted hybrid clubs. During my fitting for the Cobra SpeedZoneOne clubs we found the SpeedZoneONE 4 hybrid the perfect transition club to the SpeedZoneONE 5 – SW. This will be interesting seeing how I have been gaming TS2 driver and 15*F and Titleist 818H 19*, 23*, 27* transition to 6 – PW with 3 Vokey wedges. I’m extremely impressed with the 5 metal at this point and I hit it slightly farther and straighter than I hit a 19* hybrid. The low profile and split rails allow me to hit the 5 metal out of semi-rough as well as fairway conditions. I like the look and feel of all three woods and will give them a fair shot at staying in my bag.

image.png.68c3233c079c4982615648cf905f4121.png

image.png.356a135a5493005c7b82a79da74b09ff.png

image.png.2445a6e62b50794fcf064ab01b9582eb.png

image.png.2b17c6a585e668f6a0acea782de31a5f.png

Looks                                      4.5 stars

Sound and Feel                    4.5 stars

Basic Characteristics           5 stars

Miscellaneous                      4.5 stars

Play it Trade it                      4 stars

Overall                                   4.5 stars

image.png

Great job @daviddvm! Glad to see you're happy with the metal wood lineup so far. The Cobra 5 wood is a beast, the more you use it, the more you'll love it. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Certainly a good use case for a 360 grip. Will have to look around for something similar to the Sonar. Maybe if I settle on a particular setting I'll have the adapter realigned to keep the grip and shaft graphics right.

2 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

Excellent stuff @edingc, is it just the gapping that puts you off the hybrid or does it not suit your game as well?

Gapping mostly, but also that it's a pretty low lofted club to get airborne and stop. I understand why my fitter put it in there, but I'm struggling to see where it goes in my game. With timing of the review and limited range access due to COVID, I just haven't had enough range time to fully work through how it might fit in. It doesn't help that there are few opportunities to use it on my home course, though I may be able to use it on one or two holes where I've otherwise laid back with irons. If I remove it, I'd likely replace it with a 21 degree hybrid to give me another tee club option that flies about 210-215, but perhaps with a little more height than what I'd get from the four iron.

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Super review here. Really like the 4 frame pictures. Grouping on the driver looks pretty awesome that will definitely keep you out of trouble!

I believe I lifted that idea from @THEZIPR23 on his T-100S review, so all credit to him for the inspiration.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.9 (Last Updated Oct. 25, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
5-GW:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2", KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / 
srixon.png.43e385967a8ed97dd1678520c0dc8ef3.png Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, GregB135 said:

"Use of turbulators, or vortex generators, to energize the boundary layer of a lifting surface has been part of aerodynamics design for decades. Manipulating that technology into golf club design and generating a small increase in club head speed by reducing drag coefficients is the clever bit. You're still gonna have to bulk up bro if you want to get to 209 mph on your ball speed. Just sayin'."  - Bryson D.

Like flying a Piper Cub into Miramar (now NAS Fallon) for the finals.  Now these are turbulators 😉.

1745817337_G410crown.jpg.d9ae7ea2facf33b3fa23351596fbc81a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

47 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Now, I can tell you that my round today will NOT be the one I submit for this weeks challenge! I’ll spare you the gory details (I was 0fer for greens and fairways through 7 holes...), however, I do have a nominee for best/worst par, and a hole in which I hit two fairways, neither of which were mine. 

2A198ABA-6A91-49BE-876F-3B8C70D48DEB.png

and still made par! that's pretty impressive

• Like 7

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 58.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5

2 hours ago, GB13 said:

CCC4 OFFICIAL WOODS REVIEW

Preface

Its time to go long or go home!! We’re starting out with a bang (or should I say bomb!). Let’s  review the big sticks! As a reminder, I’m gaming the SZ 9° driver, the SZ 3 wood and SZ 3 hybrid. All of these are Tour Length, which is making quite a positive impact on my game.

Well, I’d be upset if my first sentence didn’t include the word speed, because, let’s face it, Cobra has built their big sticks around speed. Do they live up to the hype? Read on and find out! 

7AB3414A-F3BE-4FDE-8C65-13D3FA154F97.jpeg.df6f0cd2c0ea9d8669e98071a667ad1a.jpeg

Looks

These are hands down some of the best looking woods on the market. I absolutely love the matte white color. That said, I really wish I could’ve matched my hybrid with the driver and 3 wood. Yes, I know that’s mainly my OCD talking, but still... That small complaint aside, the matte carbon fiber crown, the white accent, with the red weights creates a beautiful and classy looking club. Coming from the *ahem* very red Wilson Staff C300, the Cobras are an improvement in almost every way. 

D2F96669-99E8-470D-9C55-B0D30550067F.jpeg.f4820493cf50c7402b27607f89f28ad4.jpeg

Looks - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5 stars 

Sound & Feel

This section is always the one I struggle with the most. It’s just so hard to quantify something so subjective, and then adequately explain it. @edingc did a wonderful job with his videos demonstrating the sound of the SZ. (Credit where credit is due.) I also can’t better describe the feelings of the driver and 3 wood. As he said, the driver has a very nice, reverberating, crack to it, while the 3W has a more solid thwack when flushed, but feels a little hollow when mishit. I’ll also say the hybrid sounds & feels a little “pingy” and rather hollow. 

E29AEE7F-26F6-4384-9DCD-03F50E525C1E.jpeg.3de0b89bd3a4115ea1e668fb5e905429.jpeg

Sound & Feel - ⭐⭐⭐ 3/5 stars (To break it down, the driver would be 5/5, the 3W is 3/5 and the hybrid is 2/5.)

Performance

For all the talk about looks, sound, and feel, this is the section that really, really matters. I’m a bit conflicted about this section, because, my good shots, are very, very good. My strikes are more consistently near the middle of the face, but I’m struggling with an ugly left miss with both the driver and 3W. I’ll say this, the SZ is rather forgiving when it comes to ball speed. This shot was hit well off the toe, still ended up being really good.

914B2911-9EAB-427F-82FB-6FF4A88C2DDA.png.0ac80dcb9d13eb69a8f1c41045371f74.png

Not to mention, this driver has produced some absolute BOMBS! I just need this to happen more frequently! 

2B375802-D952-4C83-BB9B-CE97161E4BBF.png.bde23df682b93ce4a297e9cf7dae89e6.png

The hybrid has been a go to club of mine since it has joined my bag, it’s super consistent, very forgiving, and most importantly, isn’t going left!! I’m really loving the hybrid right now, very easy to hit out of any lie, and surprisingly workable. 

Overall, my distance is up, my overall fairways hit is up, but my misses are much uglier. I dunno how to grade that, so I’ll give it 4 stars.

Performance - ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 4/5 stars

Play it OR Trade it

Can I get a time extension on this question? I’m just not sure yet. Arccos says my driving handicap is going down, so I guess that’s good, but dang, I’m just not comfortable with the driver and 3W yet. If I can start making more good swings, then these might be in the bag for a long time. The hybrid will probably be staying for a while, it might be on a rotation schedule with my 2 iron depending on wind and corse conditions.

I’m going with 3 stars for now, however, hopefully with some time this rating can and will increase.

Play it OR Trade it - ⭐⭐⭐ 3/5 stars

Overall

These are very good clubs, don’t let my uncertain review convince you otherwise. These can compete with any of the bigger companies woods. I’m just fighting my swing a bit right now, and it just isn’t translating into confidence. I’ll provide more follow up about these in a few weeks when I have a few more rounds under my belt. But for now, I’ll give the 3 stars, with and asterisk denoting massive potential. 

Overall - ⭐⭐⭐ 3/5 stars

Excellent work GB13, what do you think is causing the left miss? is it just a swing fault or is something about the clubs?

• Like 2

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3