Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

Added the 8g slider weight back into my TSR3 with the PLB-L shaft.... had two measured drives over 270 yards in 9 holes - other drives were over 250.  I think it is my sweet spot.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I apologize i haven't been able to keep up with thread as much as i would like, but for those who have tried much of this my question is do you feel it is more weight or stated flex on the shaft that is making the difference?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

14 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Added the 8g slider weight back into my TSR3 with the PLB-L shaft.... had two measured drives over 270 yards in 9 holes - other drives were over 250.  I think it is my sweet spot.

💣💣💣 

That's awesome Tim! Sounds like you won't be needing that TSi3 head... I'll send you my shipping information. 🤣

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I apologize i haven't been able to keep up with thread as much as i would like, but for those who have tried much of this my question is do you feel it is more weight or stated flex on the shaft that is making the difference?

In my opinion the answer is a guarded "yes".  I don't think it is stated flex as much as actual shaft profile... I think @azstu324did a great job early on to talk about flex profiles between several options and most specifically the torque to maintain the best control.  Some work much better than others based on those profiles.  The total weight as a factor, but also the swing weight that in my strong opinion is one of the most important aspects to the success.  Finding that best balance of maximum flex, with control of the club face at impact is the secret sauce.  It just feels right when you get the combination correct. 

I have tested softer flexed shafts in the past (senor flex for example) but paid no attention to the SW. And I was spraying shots all over the place.  Once I dropped 2 (or 2.5) flexes, and targeted the best shaft profile and experimented with swing weights to maintain best control over the face... it just feels right.  Hard to explain, but it really does.

May not technically answer your question @GolfSpy_APH but I have a brand new TSR3 head in the L shaft.... in my bag.  It is staying there for a while.  And I REALLY want to employ this experiment on a set of irons!!  (the pxg 0211 in L flex are calling my name)

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

For a lot of us who this has worked for, I think it's (can't remember who said it) like a Goldilocks situation. Shaft weight + flex/feel + length + swing weight. The secret is getting all of those dialed in. I tried a slightly heavier shaft earlier in the thread and it just didn't end up being optimal for the driver. In my 3 wood however it's been fantastic! 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

13 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

For a lot of us who this has worked for, I think it's (can't remember who said it) like a Goldilocks situation. Shaft weight + flex/feel + length + swing weight. The secret is getting all of those dialed in. I tried a slightly heavier shaft earlier in the thread and it just didn't end up being optimal for the driver. In my 3 wood however it's been fantastic! 

Or in other words.. what @Golfspy_TCB said😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Due to being curious and intrigued by the Otto Phlex thread, I have wound up with a back up driver, 3 wood, and lighter, more flexible shafts.

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 9 degree driver with 45" Fuji Air Speeder Blue 45 R

PXG Gen 4 0341XF 3 wood with 43" Fuji Air Speeder Blue 45 A (tipped 1")

I also picked up a PXG 0211 7 wood that I installed a Project X Evenflow Riptide CB 40 senior flex trimmed to 42", which originally came with the driver.  

My plans are to play my Ping driver and 3 wood with Ventus Velocore blue shafts on Saturday and change out to the PXG woods on Sunday.  I will then compare my scores, fairways hit, ball striking, and feel.  The experiment of dropping 2 flexes didn't work out for me with the driver so I am working on a gradual approach to lighter and more flexible shafts.  

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

5 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

In my opinion the answer is a guarded "yes".  I don't think it is stated flex as much as actual shaft profile... I think @azstu324did a great job early on to talk about flex profiles between several options and most specifically the torque to maintain the best control.  Some work much better than others based on those profiles.  The total weight as a factor, but also the swing weight that in my strong opinion is one of the most important aspects to the success.  Finding that best balance of maximum flex, with control of the club face at impact is the secret sauce.  It just feels right when you get the combination correct. 

I have tested softer flexed shafts in the past (senor flex for example) but paid no attention to the SW. And I was spraying shots all over the place.  Once I dropped 2 (or 2.5) flexes, and targeted the best shaft profile and experimented with swing weights to maintain best control over the face... it just feels right.  Hard to explain, but it really does.

May not technically answer your question @GolfSpy_APH but I have a brand new TSR3 head in the L shaft.... in my bag.  It is staying there for a while.  And I REALLY want to employ this experiment on a set of irons!!  (the pxg 0211 in L flex are calling my name)

I just got the new 0211 irons with the MMT 80 stiff shafts. I bet those in the 50 gram L or the Cyprus L shafts would be amazing.  I am coming from DGS300 and the lighter weight graphite has been amazing so far.  I honestly could of probably went with the A or Regular flex MMT and got more distance with the same great control I have now.  

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

For me it's definitely the cpm of the shaft, the weight change for me has been negligible in the extreme.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

5 hours ago, David Leighton Reid said:

Due to being curious and intrigued by the Otto Phlex thread, I have wound up with a back up driver, 3 wood, and lighter, more flexible shafts.

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 9 degree driver with 45" Fuji Air Speeder Blue 45 R

PXG Gen 4 0341XF 3 wood with 43" Fuji Air Speeder Blue 45 A (tipped 1")

I also picked up a PXG 0211 7 wood that I installed a Project X Evenflow Riptide CB 40 senior flex trimmed to 42", which originally came with the driver.  

My plans are to play my Ping driver and 3 wood with Ventus Velocore blue shafts on Saturday and change out to the PXG woods on Sunday.  I will then compare my scores, fairways hit, ball striking, and feel.  The experiment of dropping 2 flexes didn't work out for me with the driver so I am working on a gradual approach to lighter and more flexible shafts.  

I'll say again that I believe, based on my experience (yeah, I know, a "one point curve"...) that the bend profile of the shaft is every bit as important as weight/flex in terms of outcome.  I've suggested to other posters in the thread that it might be useful to use the Maltby "playability profile" or whatever they call it, with the Pro Launch Blue as the template.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

30 minutes ago, PACK7483 said:

I just got the new 0211 irons with the MMT 80 stiff shafts. I bet those in the 50 gram L or the Cyprus L shafts would be amazing.  I am coming from DGS300 and the lighter weight graphite has been amazing so far.  I honestly could of probably went with the A or Regular flex MMT and got more distance with the same great control I have now.  

I was looking at the MMT and the Cyphers... how do you like the heads?  What did you come from?

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

7 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

I'll say again that I believe, based on my experience (yeah, I know, a "one point curve"...) that the bend profile of the shaft is every bit as important as weight/flex in terms of outcome.  I've suggested to other posters in the thread that it might be useful to use the Maltby "playability profile" or whatever they call it, with the Pro Launch Blue as the template.

We need a +1 reaction button... I wish I knew how to get in touch with the mods to ask about that  haha. 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

We need a +1 reaction button... I wish I knew how to get in touch with the mods to ask about that  haha. 

My apologies for restating something I've posted earlier, won't happen again.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

11 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

My apologies for restating something I've posted earlier, won't happen again.

No, no, no Bobbers, what I meant was I agree with your comment... by saying "exactly what he said... I am +1 on that comment"  🙂 

It was me wanting to repeat you 🙂

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

3 hours ago, PACK7483 said:

I actually had the earlier 0211s with the MMT in 70/R; then .. and somehow before this experiment blew up the forums 🤣 .. switched to a newer set with the MMT 60/A tipped 1/4" (so there wasn't _too much_ action in the tip) - and they're working very nicely for me!

As an aside, I never checked the SW on them (have a basic balance beam scale) but have added 1-2, or 3, grams of lead tape to the heads.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, Bobbers said:

I've suggested to other posters in the thread that it might be useful to use the Maltby "playability profile" or whatever they call it, with the Pro Launch Blue as the template.

^^ that is THE way to search for and select shafts imo!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

I actually had the earlier 0211s with the MMT in 70/R; then .. and somehow before this experiment blew up the forums 🤣 .. switched to a newer set with the MMT 60/A tipped 1/4" (so there wasn't _too much_ action in the tip) - and they're working very nicely for me!

As an aside, I never checked the SW on them (have a basic balance beam scale) but have added 1-2, or 3, grams of lead tape to the heads.

I was fitted for half inch short, and PXG said the SW in the 5 iron is probably around C9. 

Having done plenty of testing and forget the Autoflex.

The BGT Brava shaft is much better at half the cost. I have been hitting a Project X T1100 in 65 at 6.0. Love it. It specs at

10.0 in tip

9.7 in mid

9.5 in butt

I just built the Brava in X at 58 gram and tipped it an inch and play to 45.75.

First tee at one off my two courses picked up

15 yards hit it low and it goes hit it high and it goes and you don’t have to go after it just smooth it. I have not profiled the shaft yet but it is not a stiff as my project x but the Brava is so stable and has tremendous feel 

if you check around you may be able to get for $325-350

Be sure to give a try it is so much better than the Autoflex which I have done testing.

I've applied the concept of the Otto Phlex to the irons.

Methodology was simple:

I'm playing a set of Mavrik Max irons.  Found a new 7 iron head touted for women, they call it a "lite" head.  Snagged one figuring I could do a direct Mavrik Max/Mavrik Max comparison if I built it right.  Grabbed three Grafalloy ProLite L flex iron shafts off ebay for the build.

Ended up with a 37.5 inch club to get the D0 swing weight compared to my 37 inch 7 iron.  Could not, for the life of me, find tipping instructions for the shaft so I just tipped it 1 inch figuring more flex was in keeping with the concept we're exploring.

The feel of the club was wonderful.  Higher flight and a bit more distance by a few yards during my testing.  Still not sold on the shaft, however, I think I can do better.  Soooo, found a set of six Aldila HM graphite iron shafts that were pulls from a ladies set of irons for a very, very moderate price and they're on the way.   Going to swap out the ProLite for one of the Aldila HM shafts.  Had those same shafts in some Cobra hybrids I played a few years ago and they're similar in many ways to the PLB.

My bottom line, and again it's just one opinion, is that "the jury is still out" on how this will play out in the irons.  Driver, fairway woods, and hybrids?  Yes, for me they all work with L flex; nice feel, higher ball flight and definitely more distance across the board.  Irons are "tbd". 

Hoping the weather here in Wisconsin holds for a few more days so I can do real life testing.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

Played a quick 7 holes on a rainy evening- very soft. I was able measure 5 drives and I averaged 258. I was putting it places that I do on good days when it’s dry and hot. In the cooler weather my irons were 10 yards shorter today for an additional reference. I really need to get on my friend’s Trackman so I can compare my Grafalloy Otto Flex to my Ventus. Oh, and I was 5/5 in fairways- even hit some extra drives - they all hit the fairway. 
I’ll get on the Trackman after I get the Low Spin head I ordered and really do some comparisons. 
I did hit one bomb that was hill assisted- it cancelled out the one I hit 228 uphill. 
😜

154F3B56-8F2A-49DB-83AD-C2EF263CDF51.jpeg

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

On 11/5/2022 at 8:40 AM, Bobbers said:

Methodology was simple:

I'm playing a set of Mavrik Max irons.  Found a new 7 iron head touted for women, they call it a "lite" head.  Snagged one figuring I could do a direct Mavrik Max/Mavrik Max comparison if I built it right.  Grabbed three Grafalloy ProLite L flex iron shafts off ebay for the build.

Ended up with a 37.5 inch club to get the D0 swing weight compared to my 37 inch 7 iron.  Could not, for the life of me, find tipping instructions for the shaft so I just tipped it 1 inch figuring more flex was in keeping with the concept we're exploring.

The feel of the club was wonderful.  Higher flight and a bit more distance by a few yards during my testing.  Still not sold on the shaft, however, I think I can do better.  Soooo, found a set of six Aldila HM graphite iron shafts that were pulls from a ladies set of irons for a very, very moderate price and they're on the way.   Going to swap out the ProLite for one of the Aldila HM shafts.  Had those same shafts in some Cobra hybrids I played a few years ago and they're similar in many ways to the PLB.

My bottom line, and again it's just one opinion, is that "the jury is still out" on how this will play out in the irons.  Driver, fairway woods, and hybrids?  Yes, for me they all work with L flex; nice feel, higher ball flight and definitely more distance across the board.  Irons are "tbd". 

Hoping the weather here in Wisconsin holds for a few more days so I can do real life testing.

I think I mentioned before... I am really anxious to try out this concept in irons.  So I'm watching your comments closely @Bobbers.  I guess my biggest speed bump is figuring out which iron shaft to try.  Knowing that the PLB is a great fit for my swing... and also cross referencing that with the limited options in an iron "L" flex at full length... I get overwhelmed pretty quickly.  Can't wait to see your next post. 

Re: the driver - I have been having so much fun with the "L" shaft that I haven't taken the time to re-validate my findings by doing more testing between this shaft and the standard "R" flex I was fit into.  But I really want to do that to make sure I'm not just enjoying the honeymoon period - and I'm not turning a blind eye to some performance issues.  

Of course the fairways in my bag are also on the list if I am sure about the performance of the driver.... and especially if I see some enhanced performance from O-PH shafted irons.  Fairways become a no-brainer at that point.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Of course the fairways in my bag are also on the list if I am sure about the performance of the driver.... and especially if I see some enhanced performance from O-PH shafted irons.  Fairways become a no-brainer at that point.  

I finally got a chance to get out today. It's been a couple of weeks due to a bunch of stuff going on. Getting ready for a move in a couple of weeks, and my work schedule just moved to mandatory 10 hr Saturdays 🤦🏼‍♂️. So my regular Saturday rounds are toast. 

So I'd been very much looking forward to getting out today. Well, I'll throw out a cautionary bit of advice.. don't watch YouTube golf instructional videos late at night.. because in the event that you come across a video that entices you to go get your driver and start swinging in your living room at 11:30 at night, you could very easily forget to put it back in your bag, get to the course the next day, and realize you're playing your round sans driver. (Insert homer Simpson gif.. "doh". 

Well luckily my trusty OttoPhlex 3 wood was in the bag. I finally thought to get some yardage on the last hole but was definitely not missing much in order to get home. Was hitting some really nice mid-launching tight draws. This one actually just crossed over into the rough when it landed so I'm certain that there was an extra 5-10 yds left to be had if it had hit the fairway 

1106221608_HDR.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 11/6/2022 at 2:40 AM, Bobbers said:

Methodology was simple:

I've found my set lady of shafts so now I need to find some heads, actually tried to set them up for my older brother but he didn't like them in his old ping zings. Thanks to this post @Bobbers I'm thinking I know why, head weight plus this was years back and I didn't check swing weight etc. Oh well never mind lol, hey nobody tell him ok..

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

9 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I think I mentioned before... I am really anxious to try out this concept in irons.  So I'm watching your comments closely @Bobbers.  I guess my biggest speed bump is figuring out which iron shaft to try.  Knowing that the PLB is a great fit for my swing... and also cross referencing that with the limited options in an iron "L" flex at full length... I get overwhelmed pretty quickly.  Can't wait to see your next post. 

Re: the driver - I have been having so much fun with the "L" shaft that I haven't taken the time to re-validate my findings by doing more testing between this shaft and the standard "R" flex I was fit into.  But I really want to do that to make sure I'm not just enjoying the honeymoon period - and I'm not turning a blind eye to some performance issues.  

If it were me I'd consider looking for a Fujikura Vista Pro in the R1 (they don't use the l/r/s/x nomenclature) and try it in something like a 7 or 8 iron that you're familiar with.  Closest shaft I've found over the years to the PLB.  Again, just a thought.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

1 hour ago, Bobbers said:

If it were me I'd consider looking for a Fujikura Vista Pro in the R1 (they don't use the l/r/s/x nomenclature) and try it in something like a 7 or 8 iron that you're familiar with.  Closest shaft I've found over the years to the PLB.  Again, just a thought.

Just taking a look at the available options for the shaft you mentioned above... should that be R3 instead of R1 flex?  Looks like the R3 is the ladies flex equivalent.. at least on the site I was looking at.  Thank you for the tip 🙂

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

15 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Just taking a look at the available options for the shaft you mentioned above... should that be R3 instead of R1 flex?  Looks like the R3 is the ladies flex equivalent.. at least on the site I was looking at.  Thank you for the tip 🙂

Yeah, they sometimes use different nomenclature; if the R3 is what they currently call "ladies" that's the one I'd focus on.

While I wait for my Aldila HM shafts to arrive I managed to snag a set of Adams V4 irons, 7/8/9/P/GW for next to nothing with Mitsubishi Bassara shafts.  It's a shaft I'm familiar with and by extending any particular iron by about 1/2 inch I'll hit the D0 sweet spot.  I'll put that up against the Mavrik Max that'll be built with one of the HM shafts and against my current Mavrik Max which should give me a much better idea of what's what when it comes to the irons and the O-PH idea.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

17 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

Played a quick 7 holes on a rainy evening- very soft. I was able measure 5 drives and I averaged 258. I was putting it places that I do on good days when it’s dry and hot. In the cooler weather my irons were 10 yards shorter today for an additional reference. I really need to get on my friend’s Trackman so I can compare my Grafalloy Otto Flex to my Ventus. Oh, and I was 5/5 in fairways- even hit some extra drives - they all hit the fairway. 
I’ll get on the Trackman after I get the Low Spin head I ordered and really do some comparisons. 
I did hit one bomb that was hill assisted- it cancelled out the one I hit 228 uphill. 
😜

154F3B56-8F2A-49DB-83AD-C2EF263CDF51.jpeg

Hell of a 2 putt from there. 😉

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

7 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I've found my set lady of shafts so now I need to find some heads, actually tried to set them up for my older brother but he didn't like them in his old ping zings. Thanks to this post @Bobbers I'm thinking I know why, head weight plus this was years back and I didn't check swing weight etc. Oh well never mind lol, hey nobody tell him ok..

For those looking to try this out in the irons, check out Maltby's stuff. The heads might not be your jam.. or they might, but these 2 have removable weights for SW adjustability and @ less than $30/head it's worth a shot to pick up a 7 iron or maybe a PW. 

Screenshot_20221107-093850.png.6a9403e699da4e35a78935fd08dfc5d7.png

Screenshot_20221107-093907.png.49b7a1091f488ff032e0a0859286708b.png

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I played in a tournament over the weekend, didn't expect much due to working a ton, and 7 weeks out from knee surgery. I hit a few with my Epic Speed with the PLB at the range, and it was either a smash, or hanging out to the right with a little block. I only trusted it to use once during the round though, and was on fire with my 300 mini driver, and hit a few around 310 with that, which has an X flex shaft. I do think just hitting the soft shaft has really helped my timing of the release. 

Ok, phew! Took me several days of sporadic reading, but I have finally caught up on the thread. I currently play a Mitsubishi C6 blue in 70g X flex and placed my order today for a Grafalloy PLB 45A. My swing speed is very similar to Stu's from the initial post and this has been super intriguing. It really resonated with me because in a recent trip to top golf with my wife and a friend couple of ours I had an experience that seemed to come full circle reading through this thread.  With my driver I was sitting in the 156-160 ball speed on the top golf monitors for most of the day.  I play a Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero in 10.5 turned down to 9.5. On a whim I grabbed the women's driver which was a Callaway Rouge ST Max Women's (no idea what shaft was in it). After a few swings I smoked one that registered 169 ball speed. I thought nothing of this really and figured it must have been some sort of malfunction although the flight while a bit of a pull was the straightest ball I hit the entire session and hit the middle of the net still rising. While reading through this thread, that day continues to come to mind and now I am in it to find out how to replicate those ball speed #s. I should have my shaft in sometime this weekend and will update with some testing numbers.

Side question for you do it yourself club builders. Anywhere you recommend going to find reasonably priced club building supplies. I have been gripping my clubs for several years, and have recently used the do it yourself swing weight using the suggestions in the post. Current driver set up came in at just over D6 btw.  I would like to figure out how to remove applicator tips to reuse without ruining old shafts and would also like to get a bit more into home setup building.  Recommendations for necessary home club building tools or supplies?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to venturing down the rabbit hole with you!

GHIN 7.8

D Callaway Epic Flash subzero 10.5 down to 9.5

3W Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 14.5

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

P Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport 2.0 Select

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/