2023 MGS Forum: Cobra 50th Anniversary Special!

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow the TESTING POST links to go straight to the testers introductions, unboxings and final reviews!

Testing King Tour CB MB
@chisagTESTING POST - Page 11

@Tom the Golf NutTESTING POST - Page 12

Testing Forged Tec & Forged Tec X
@sirchunksalotTESTING POST - Page 12

@CFreddieTESTING POST - Page 12

Testing AeroJet Irons
@Jnoble89TESTING POST - Page 12

@JerryBTESTING POST - Page 12

CONGRATULATIONS TO TEAM 1!  Sam, Chris, and Jason are this year's Cobra Member Special Champions!

image.png

Which team is going win the Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which team is going to win the Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special?

• Team 1: chisag, CFreddie, and Jnoble89
    • Team 2: Tom the Golf Nut, sirchunksalot, and JerryB

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2023 at 03:59 AM

Second irons only round - and on a 6200+ yard course for you @chisag

IMG_2612.jpeg

IMG_2613.jpeg

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

5 minutes ago, CFreddie said:

IMG_2612.jpeg

IMG_2613.jpeg

Go get it, @CFreddie! Gotta get ahead of @sirchunksalot on the VCT to rack up some team points. Lord knows my Net 77 didn’t do it 🤣

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X (Currently Testing)

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

10 minutes ago, CFreddie said:

... Clubs look awesome in your bag and I am so proud of you:

growing-up-is-hard-to-do_w300.jpg.jpeg.f085ae7ed340c304b45f1940e65535cf.jpeg

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

22 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Really nice review of the Forged Tec X irons! 👍  Being a proud redneck I am assuming your wife proof read your review and she is the one that substituted "enjoying the patina they’re developing" instead of "color looks darn gud after hacking' em around some" and "If you don't try em, your a dumbazz" she substituted "I believe you’d be remiss". 

PS. Wedge reviews not due til next Sunday. 

It's funny, but I do run everything by my wife. She's smarter than I am and way better with words. She knows how to get em flowing a lot better'n I do.

I think for some reason I was thinking the wedge review was due along with the irons. 

Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from you. 

The irons were a pleasant surprise, I think the consistency with which I have been hitting them has been jaw dropping. I think the fitting played a big role in that as I can't save enough about the shafts and how well I'm getting along with them.

I was "fitted" for the Cobra F8 irons a few years ago which consisted of "well, how'd you like that shaft?". Having a fitter that was hands on made a big difference. 

29 minutes ago, CFreddie said:

IMG_2612.jpeg

IMG_2613.jpeg

Those Forged Tec irons look so good in the bag. It'd be a shame if you got a case of the shanks. 

All kidding aside, go out there and hit them well @CFreddie!

3 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Those Forged Tec irons look so good in the bag. It'd be a shame if you got a case of the shanks. 

... Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Gotta close the gap and make this a real competition. 

images.jpg.ef2510be16e2546e5729c39851265399.jpg

... My King Tour iron review is up!

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Really nice review of the Forged Tec X irons! 👍  Being a proud redneck I am assuming your wife proof read your review and she is the one that substituted "enjoying the patina they’re developing" instead of "color looks darn gud after hacking' em around some" and instead of  "If you don't try em, your a dumbazz" she substituted "I believe you’d be remiss". 

PS. Wedge reviews not due til next Sunday. 

haha That's purty darn good now ya hear? 😂

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

3 minutes ago, ole gray said:

haha That's purty darn good now ya hear? 😂

... So what you are saying in ole gray language:

It's pretty funny, but being in a relationship with a woman from Illinois for 15 years has toned down the drawl just a little bit. That woman has me doing things like enunciating my words. I still tend to drop the g at the end of certain words like huntin, fishin, and golfin. Now if I get together with old friends, it becomes a bumpkin fest. 

19 minutes ago, chisag said:

... So what you are saying in ole gray language:

Yup 😁

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

16 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

It's pretty funny, but being in a relationship with a woman from Illinois for 15 years has toned down the drawl just a little bit. That woman has me doing things like enunciating my words. I still tend to drop the g at the end of certain words like huntin, fishin, and golfin. Now if I get together with old friends, it becomes a bumpkin fest. 

... I think this is one of the things that has kept me in my position as spokesperson for medicare advantage plans. Without actually using a southern accent I almost always drop the g and I think it produces a more conversational and friendly tone. The original ad agency wanted a "proper" annunciation but the folks from Louisville liked my homey approach and obviously still do. 🤠

4 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

Checking in at the turn of my irons only round with the muscle back blades.

we’ll see how the back goes…

Well, the muscle back blade irons only round is in the books.

image.png.31ae51b733ed0e548c8eed5289c5c937.png

To say that it exceeded my expectations would be mildly understating the obvious. Holy crow! What a round. I can admit it now, I was nervous as hell going into this one. When i was warming up on the range prior to the round, I made sure to hit a couple with my driver, just in case. I told my playing partner, who looked at me with genuine confusion when i told him, "Today is irons only", I will pull the plug after the first double bogey. 

Opening up with back to back bogeys, including a 3 putt on 2 after reaching in regulation, I gave serious consideration to the thought that the golf gods were going to have me bogey every hole, just so I couldn't pull the plug, but the misery could be drawn out and savored. Then on the 3rd hole, everything sorted itself out and I settled into a nice, comfortable groove. 

I won't bore y'all with a hole by hole recap, but please understand, when I say this was the most enjoyable round of golf I have played in a very long time, maybe ever. 

These blades are so buttery smooth and genuinely fun to play when one is striking the ball well, that I should retire them now, so that I avoid the inevitable decline. 

Big shouts to MGS and the Cobra Challenge for facilitating all of this, oh and also, I buried the lede a bit... Today was my lowest round I have ever shot. So I got that going for me, which is nice. 😎

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :cameron-small: Special Select Del Mar

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

3 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

To say that it exceeded my expectations would be mildly understating the obvious. Holy crow! What a round. I can admit it now, I was nervous as hell going into this one. When i was warming up on the range prior to the round, I made sure to hit a couple with my driver, just in case. I told my playing partner, who looked at me with genuine confusion when i told him, "Today is irons only", I will pull the plug after the first double bogey. 

Opening up with back to back bogeys, including a 3 putt on 2 after reaching in regulation, I gave serious consideration to the thought that the golf gods were going to have me bogey every hole, just so I couldn't pull the plug, but the misery could be drawn out and savored. Then on the 3rd hole, everything sorted itself out and I settled into a nice, comfortable groove. 

I won't bore y'all with a hole by hole recap, but please understand, when I say this was the most enjoyable round of golf I have played in a very long time, maybe ever. 

These blades are so buttery smooth and genuinely fun to play when one is striking the ball well, that I should retire them now, so that I avoid the inevitable decline. 

Big shouts to MGS and the Cobra Challenge for facilitating all of this, oh and also, I buried the lede a bit... Today was my lowest round I have ever shot. So I got that going for me, which is nice. 😎

Awesome @Ben Joest! That's a great round and congratulations on the new personal best! It's amazing how well one can play when the options are limited and you really have to "golf the course". I enjoyed playing with only irons and can feel you on how stressful it is when you make that commitment. 

I think it's a great learning experience for all of us who played in it. Usually we're trying to hit the ball a mile and I think playing this challenge help us to focus on making good shots and manage our expectations. 

27 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

Amazing work @Ben Joest!!!

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

46 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

Okay, ANOTHER personal best lowest round during a Cobra Challenge? This getting out of control... in a good way! Well done, sir!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

7 hours ago, TSauer said:

Yeah, the fitting process is probably the greatest attributing factor. I’ve never had a proper fitting since I started playing. I have always assumed I need +1” because I’m 6’6” and went with whatever shafts and a standard lie.

I’ve always been intimidated by the process, but since I’ve been following along I’ve realized how important and pretty pain free it actually is. Before my next iron set, I think I’ll go through the fitting journey. 

I've said it several times, but I had a pretty awful fitting experience.  Despite that, I would do it again every time.  As has been said, your overall swing doesn't change too much and they are there to fit you into what's best for you.  I feel really confident about the clubs that I was fit into despite my poor showing that day.  My irons were extended a quarter inch to fit my alligator arms a little better and the shafts in all my clubs seem to keep me more consistent.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

4 minutes ago, JerryB said:

I've said it several times, but I had a pretty awful fitting experience.  Despite that, I would do it again every time.  As has been said, your overall swing doesn't change too much and they are there to fit you into what's best for you.  I feel really confident about the clubs that I was fit into despite my poor showing that day.  My irons were extended a quarter inch to fit my alligator arms a little better and the shafts in all my clubs seem to keep me more consistent.

... Here's a question for you Jerry. If you had not been fitted and like someone just picking clubs on line or off the rack at a golf store, what clubs/shafts do you think you might have ordered instead? 

7 minutes ago, JerryB said:

That first part speaks volumes. I think a lot of people would end up backing out after their first bad time. I remember during the Ping G410 long game "fitting" I shanked a 3 wood right into the gentleman's launch monitor, luckily it was a pretty solid unit. But, boy.. that was embarrassing. 

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Here's a question for you Jerry. If you had not been fitted and like someone just picking clubs on line or off the rack at a golf store, what clubs/shafts do you think you might have ordered instead? 

Honestly, I'm a bit of a sucker for anyone in any position of authority.  And by that, I mean if I ask an employee at Home Depot a question, I assume they know what they're doing.  Guy at the Taco Bell drive thru?  Same thing.  You get the idea.  Confidence will win me over every time.  The fitter at Golf Galaxy could have been pulled off the street ten minutes before I got there and if he sounded like he knew what he was doing, I'd likely listen.

I say that to say this:  Sometimes I have to trust the process.  He attached the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer and after a few swings it spit out what the likeliest three best options for me would be.  First option was the KBS TGIs; we tried it and it felt good so we went with it.  

Assuming I went into a store and was going to pick out stuff from the Aerojet line, I likely would have taken whatever was available because I don't like to make a fuss.  Choosing online, I would have hemmed and hawed and changed my mind a million times.  Probably would have wound up with a set that included a 6 and possibly 5 iron.  Still wouldn't hit them great and forever played the "what if" game.  

Definitely wouldn't have thought to try going .25" longer.  Having gone to a driver demo day last year and now a full bag fitting this year, I understand that this is something that, for me, gets dialed in over time.  I learned a bit at the demo day last year and applied it to the fitting this year.  I've learned a bit at the fitting this year and will be able to apply that to the next opportunity.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Irons review is up!  Spoiler alert:  I dig 'em.

Edited by JerryB

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Lets just say my second irons-only round this week was a much better showing...even at 6200 yards, I felt well equipped for the most part (those ~50 yard shots with a PW were a bit tricky).  As I said in my round review, today may have put the decision on gaming this in the future to rest - review coming later this evening!

IMG_2614.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 7.52.19 PM.png

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Irons review up as well!  Breaking news - I have a new gamer iron 🤩!

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

2 hours ago, CFreddie said:

Lets just say my second irons-only round this week was a much better showing...even at 6200 yards, I felt well equipped for the most part (those ~50 yard shots with a PW were a bit tricky).  As I said in my round review, today may have put the decision on gaming this in the future to rest

... Haha another 70 and another tie! (Gotta be tough pulling clubs with all those sand bags in the way though 🙄)  Cobra Challenge, the gift that keeps on giving. Just awesome to hear the FT's have become your gamers. I loved mine, just not what I really need but I would put them up against Taylor Made P790's and think for most, they would win. Great round CFredo!

sandbagsbig-_4_-768x512.jpg.b6ad75c4c1588bd8494dc36a6991399c.jpg

Just finished reading through all the iron reviews, nice work y'all!

giphy.gif

Also, @sirchunksalot I was on the fence about black irons, I thought I'd always lean on the traditional side. However, the more I see them the more I like them! 💣💣

4 hours ago, TSauer said:

Just finished reading through all the iron reviews, nice work y'all!

giphy.gif

Also, @sirchunksalot I was on the fence about black irons, I thought I'd always lean on the traditional side. However, the more I see them the more I like them! 💣💣

I've always liked the thought of black irons, but wasn't sure about how they would affect me when looking down at them. A buddy of mine has some Tommy Armour wedges and I hit them one day at the range and found I was comfortable with them. I like the lack of glare off them, I'm sensitive to sunlight and the black is perfect.

I will be working on finalizing my review of the Supernova after my scramble league match Tuesday and 18 hole round Wednesday morning. It’s been good, but hasn’t been better/worse than my Spider Tour Platinum to this point. I really like both if I am being honest, so it may be a rotational competition the rest of this year. One thing I will be doing if the Spider stays in the bag is putting a 2.0 grip on it, but I may stay with the Pistol GTR series. The Traxion Tour 2.0 feels good, but I am so used to the Pistol GTR that it feels a bit unnatural yet. Maybe this will change with more time, we will see. Putts do roll extremely well with the Supernova.

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X (Currently Testing)

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review