Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

Golf cart rain covers - Are they worth it or a waste of money?

Cfhandyman

I live in the greater Toronto area of Canada and quite often play in cool and wet conditions.  Even with a cart, you can still get quite wet when its raining.  The solution, a golf cart rain cover.  The problem many were over $200 and I didn’t want to pay that and only wind up using it once.  I found the 10LOL on Amazon for $135 Cdn or $110 US a year and a half ago. This one was purchased to fit the EZGO golf carts but it also fits other carts.

image.png.869afa72562305e9f87af19780a1cef2.png  image.png.c291b2a165f9e2b460486d0486a38a24.png

The first time I used it, it was 6* C (42*F), and lightly raining, but with the wind it was closer to 3* C (35*F).  Not only did it keep me dry, but the real aha, was that it also protected me from the wind when you zip up the doors. So, what would have been a wet cold round turned into a much more pleasant, warmish and dry round.  It paid for itself right then and there and I now have used it many times especially at the beginning and end of the season when its cool and/or wet.

Pros: It works well and fits well.  It installs and can be removed in minutes.  Slide it over the cart and with 4 bottom clips that attach to the cart, holds it in place. It does a good job of keeping you dry when it’s raining.  It’s also good at blocking the wind. Decent quality at a reasonable  price and is still functioning well after a year and a half.  Nice feature is that front windshield zips down and doesn’t obstruct your visibility.  Similarly, the back also zips open allowing to extend the cart cover and keep your clubs dry.  The side panels also roll up and have Velcro ties to keep them in place.

Cons: Once you take it out of its carrying case, it is very difficult and a pain to get it back in the cover.  I just roll it up.  Most of the summer it sits in my garage and is used most often in late April/early May and mid October/November.  It’s advisable to get all the things out of your golf bag before putting the cover on, as it is a somewhat snug fit.  Also on hot days, it gets very warm inside when the doors are zipped up.  It does keep you dry though.

It would also be very helpful for the starters and course marshall's in keeping them dry and warm on those rainy and/or cold windy days given they’re outside most of the day.   Use it about 6-10 times a year. Overall, a nice addition at a reasonable price, so definitely worth it, especially if you don’t mind playing on rainy and/or cold days.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

7 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

I live in the greater Toronto area of Canada and quite often play in cool and wet conditions.  Even with a cart, you can still get quite wet when its raining.  The solution, a golf cart rain cover.  The problem many were over $200 and I didn’t want to pay that and only wind up using it once.  I found the 10LOL on Amazon for $135 Cdn or $110 US a year and a half ago. This one was purchased to fit the EZGO golf carts but it also fits other carts.

image.png.869afa72562305e9f87af19780a1cef2.png  image.png.c291b2a165f9e2b460486d0486a38a24.png

The first time I used it, it was 6* C (42*F), and lightly raining, but with the wind it was closer to 3* C (35*F).  Not only did it keep me dry, but the real aha, was that it also protected me from the wind when you zip up the doors. So, what would have been a wet cold round turned into a much more pleasant, warmish and dry round.  It paid for itself right then and there and I now have used it many times especially at the beginning and end of the season when its cool and/or wet.

Pros: It works well and fits well.  It installs and can be removed in minutes.  Slide it over the cart and with 4 bottom clips that attach to the cart, holds it in place. It does a good job of keeping you dry when it’s raining.  It’s also good at blocking the wind. Decent quality at a reasonable  price and is still functioning well after a year and a half.  Nice feature is that front windshield zips down and doesn’t obstruct your visibility.  Similarly, the back also zips open allowing to extend the cart cover and keep your clubs dry.  The side panels also roll up and have Velcro ties to keep them in place.

Cons: Once you take it out of its carrying case, it is very difficult and a pain to get it back in the cover.  I just roll it up.  Most of the summer it sits in my garage and is used most often in late April/early May and mid October/November.  It’s advisable to get all the things out of your golf bag before putting the cover on, as it is a somewhat snug fit.  Also on hot days, it gets very warm inside when the doors are zipped up.  It does keep you dry though.

It would also be very helpful for the starters and course marshall's in keeping them dry and warm on those rainy and/or cold windy days given they’re outside most of the day.   Use it about 6-10 times a year. Overall, a nice addition at a reasonable price, so definitely worth it, especially if you don’t mind playing on rainy and/or cold days.

A worthwhile investment!!  Looks just like the one my wife and I have except ours is blue and is fit for our club's Yamaha carts (also fits others).  We bought it at our pro shop (don't remember the cost) in January 2016... our first winter after we joined our course; so this is our 7th winter.  It's getting a little worn, but it has seen a lot of use over the years.  We don't get many rainy days, but it can get cold and windy.  My wife gets more use out of it playing in the ladies groups; put a propane heater in a cup holder and it's toasty!!  

The best way to fold/unfold it is to leave it on the cart roof.  Fold the front up onto the roof, followed by the back, then each side.  While still on the roof, fold the back end toward the front, then slide it off one side, folding it in half when it reaches the edge of the roof.  It then fits in my trunk with our golf bags.  When installing it again, reverse the folding order after positioning front of cover to front of cart... easy peasy.  It is easier with two people, but can be difficult if the wind is blowing!!

I only put it back in the bag in the spring.  On a nice warm, sunny day with no wind, I lay it out on our concrete driveway.  Easy to fold; very pliable.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

24 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

A worthwhile investment!!  Looks just like the one my wife and I have except ours is blue and is fit for our club's Yamaha carts (also fits others).  We bought it at our pro shop (don't remember the cost) in January 2016... our first winter after we joined our course; so this is our 7th winter.  It's getting a little worn, but it has seen a lot of use over the years.  We don't get many rainy days, but it can get cold and windy.  My wife gets more use out of it playing in the ladies groups; put a propane heater in a cup holder and it's toasty!!  

The best way to fold/unfold it is to leave it on the cart roof.  Fold the front up onto the roof, followed by the back, then each side.  While still on the roof, fold the back end toward the front, then slide it off one side, folding it in half when it reaches the edge of the roof.  It then fits in my trunk with our golf bags.  When installing it again, reverse the folding order after positioning front of cover to front of cart... easy peasy.  It is easier with two people, but can be difficult if the wind is blowing!!

I only put it back in the bag in the spring.  On a nice warm, sunny day with no wind, I lay it out on our concrete driveway.  Easy to fold; very pliable.

Thanks for tips on best way to fold and unfold. 

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

The final addition to your cover is a Mr Heater!

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/golf-cart-mr.-heater/1077172.html?country=US&currency=USD&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3uGqBhDdARIsAFeJ5r1gmoYmyBId79fxd0ThzWtlu_seNK5Ux7AghbDRU-D_I8qYcvY-Ic0aAv4WEALw_wcB#utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=performance+max

I played for years in central Oregon - most of Oregon is a desert, and the Bend area qualifies - and because of that we could play essentially all year. But, it can and does get cold there. Bright sunny days with no snow and 26 degrees F (-3 C). The sun warms the greens just enough to make them playable. On other days where the clouds come in low and heavy and spitting snow on a good stout wind by hole number 14 you can feel the cold in your bones...

That is of course unless you have Mr Heater in your cart! Point him between you and your partner in the cart and waiting on the slow group in front of you just becomes another day on the course. Much better than having the wind whistle past your ears as you slowly lose feelings in your fingers and toes...

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

Clear vision is the best I’ve found . With a clear plexiglass windshield I drop the carts and can see great . Also the materials are closer to a boat canvas and zippers. Combine the heater with a seat cover and I can play in the coldest/ wettest weather without looking like ralphies little brother . The XL fits every cart that I have come across by using a Velcro strap to the cart basket and bungee cords underneath .

Not loyal to one brand , I’ll use whatever works

8 hours ago, Hans...not Franz said:

Clear vision is the best I’ve found . With a clear plexiglass windshield I drop the carts and can see great . Also the materials are closer to a boat canvas and zippers. Combine the heater with a seat cover and I can play in the coldest/ wettest weather without looking like ralphies little brother . The XL fits every cart that I have come across by using a Velcro strap to the cart basket and bungee cords underneath .

Thanks for this tip.  It is appreciated   Seat cover makes it even better on cool days

13 hours ago, EnderinAZ said:

The final addition to your cover is a Mr Heater!

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/golf-cart-mr.-heater/1077172.html?country=US&currency=USD&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3uGqBhDdARIsAFeJ5r1gmoYmyBId79fxd0ThzWtlu_seNK5Ux7AghbDRU-D_I8qYcvY-Ic0aAv4WEALw_wcB#utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=performance+max

I played for years in central Oregon - most of Oregon is a desert, and the Bend area qualifies - and because of that we could play essentially all year. But, it can and does get cold there. Bright sunny days with no snow and 26 degrees F (-3 C). The sun warms the greens just enough to make them playable. On other days where the clouds come in low and heavy and spitting snow on a good stout wind by hole number 14 you can feel the cold in your bones...

That is of course unless you have Mr Heater in your cart! Point him between you and your partner in the cart and waiting on the slow group in front of you just becomes another day on the course. Much better than having the wind whistle past your ears as you slowly lose feelings in your fingers and toes...

Thank you for this and the link. It is appreciated. I’m sure my wife will give a big thumbs up to a heater

1 hour ago, bocaf said:

I am considering picking up one of those golf cart covers I have seen people using during the witner and inclement weather. I was wondering if anyone in the forum has experience with these and whether they are really worth the investment. Not sure of the cost, I am guessing around $150-200. Also would love some feedback on ease of installation and break down. Pro's and Cons.

I was sceptical at first, but found it to be a worthwhile investment. You can a decent get one from Amazon between $130-150. You want one where the front screen zips down or away. See my initial post for pros and cons as well as some of the other comments. 

I've had this one for about 7 years and still works great.

https://clubpro.com/product/3-x-4-universal-enclosure-2/

I live on the course and have a personal cart so it get's a lot of use.  If you play in any sort of inclement weather it's a great addition.  It really makes any rainy, cold or super windy day bearable.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• 3 weeks later...

I have had mine since 2011. It doesn't get a lot of use because I live in AZ. We also have a heater but really don't use it. By the time we play the coldest it might be is 35 degrees. As long as we get into the sun it gets really warm quickly without a heater. This cover is a universal cover so when we play where we rent a cart, we take it with. This picture shows it on my jeep golf cart. It was on sale after Christmas on Golfsmith.com for $60. Take a look after Christmas maybe find a similar deal. The only thing I don't like is the zipper goes straight up and down. The better ones have a bit of a curve at the top so there is a little more room when entering and exiting the cart.

image.png.6984e315f5092c295ade179fbfbac92e.png

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)