Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

3 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

remind me of the swing changes you are doing... I am intrigued by your comment about leaving putts short on the wet grass. I hear some similar comments from golfers in the clubhouse after my rounds, including me, saying "if I could have gotten the ball to the hole today on my putts" or "i hit everything past the hole too far today on my putts". 

I wonder why we do that on occasion, we should know the speed of the greens etc. by about the 3rd or 4th hole... any ideas @cnosil or @chisag

Getting my swing in to out on the downswing.  I was coming in too steep and have been working with a coach to correct.

As for putting, they have been working on the greens so they haven't been cutting as short.  The speed is already slower.  We also had a heavy mist/light rain as the round went on so it was getting slower and slower as we made our way thru the course. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

My driver, wedge and putter were all descent yesterday my irons which was superb 2 rounds ago , just couldn’t hit decently no matter what I twirled during the round and ended up missing a lot of greens but chipping and putting was good enough to post decent score.  My experiment with lining up with the markings on the ball ended and I rather see the “whole ball” when putting for most of my putts.   Haven said that.  There are exceptions. The short left to right breaker has always caused me problems. But lining it up with the line on the ball just left of the cup really gave to confidence to hole that putts so I may continue with that method on that type of putt only 

6 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Getting my swing in to out on the downswing.  I was coming in too steep and have been working with a coach to correct.

As for putting, they have been working on the greens so they haven't been cutting as short.  The speed is already slower.  We also had a heavy mist/light rain as the round went on so it was getting slower and slower as we made our way thru the course. 

ahh yes, too steep, that happens for sure, as for putting yes good point, as the day wears on especially at this time of year in North America where the greens are really growing they do change... i need to remember that, as tournament season arrives for me, most of the courses play a shotgun for members in the morning then tournament in the afternoon, so I will be playing later in the day than I usually do, more grain and slower on the greens, thanks for that reminder...

committed to performance excellence

13 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I think you are correct and by the 4th hole we should adjust to the green speed. That said I find it easier on unfamiliar courses than my home course. Getting close to 1,000 rounds the speed is pretty consistent although after a tournament they can be a little faster, which I find easier to adjust to. It is more difficult when they greens are running slower, which is rare but happens and I will find myself coming up short with putts I know can be pretty quick. Even late in the round. 🙄 When you have had a similar putt hundreds of times it can be difficult to hit it harder, especially downhill. I am a die in the hole putter so rarely roll it too far past. 

... I think you know I have always felt you can completely ignore the line and concentrate 100% on speed and putt very well. Just looking at the putt to get the proper distance, the brain will take in the line. I see far too many concentrate on the line or try and concentrate on both speed/line at the same time and that can cause distance control issues. The brain can only concentrate on one thing at a time so trying to think of line and speed at the same times means the brain rapidly goes back and forth between the two without ever fully concentrating on either. But I am getting close to a feel vs mechanics discussion and that is another topic. 

ahh, "feel vs mechanics" I have thought about that long and hard as well, and have come up with the secret, but cant' tell anyone lol, thanks for getting back to me...

8 minutes ago, Northern Monkey said:

Played my best ever round today. The driver was only average, nothing bad but nothing great either. The rest of my game though was good. IMG_5526.jpeg.d2dfc86a0d1625fd303b599a074d4d09.jpeg

My short game has been really good so far this season, and I’m finding the Runner putter that I’m testing has made a big difference to my game. 3 putts are few and far between and it’s rare for me to miss within 3 feet with it. The big difference it’s made has been lag putts. I just seem to be able to get really close to the hole with long putts using it. I just hope it continues as I’ve been asked to play for our club in a county tournament in a fortnight. IMG_5525.jpeg.a7d4eef9f9875e760601b603ca164e0a.jpeg

I had 2 double bogeys for the round. The first on 3rd where I found water off the tee and the other one was on 13th, again due to a poor tee shot,  where I was forced to lay up before more water. 
Im gonna try and do some work with the driver as if I can get that working better but my big problem is consistency. I’ve had 2 good rounds this week and played in a competition on Friday. I didn’t play bad in the competition, which was match play, but was inconsistent again which cost me. If only I could play like this consistently instead of going out and sometimes shooting high 80s 🥴

What app do you use?

Driver - Taylormade M4 9.5 degree adjusted to 10.5 Fujikura Atmos 5s

3-wood - Cobra Speedzone (All-time Top 5 Club)

5-wood - Taylormade Sim Max 2 D

4 Hybrid - Taylormade M4

5-PW Irons - Cobra Radspeed KHS shafts

Wedges - 52 Vokey sm6, 56 Wilson Staff full face, 60 Vokey sm8, 

Putter - Cleveland Huntington Soft Beach Premier 11s with a counter weight Superstroke grip

32 minutes ago, Nickygolf said:

What app do you use?

ShotScope, there’s a testing review running at the moment with the V5

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

Just now, sirchunksalot said:

@cjeffs12 @Northern Monkey @Syks7 congratulations to each of you for shooting your best rounds ever! 

@Northern Monkeythose ShotScope numbers are crazy! Looks like your game was fitting on all cylinders except for losing .03 strokes driving, which is still phenomenal, btw. It's good to see how well you are performing with the Runner putter. 

Thanks, the Runner really has made a difference and is so confidence inspiring 

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

7 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

remind me of the swing changes you are doing... I am intrigued by your comment about leaving putts short on the wet grass. I hear some similar comments from golfers in the clubhouse after my rounds, including me, saying "if I could have gotten the ball to the hole today on my putts" or "i hit everything past the hole too far today on my putts". 

I wonder why we do that on occasion, we should know the speed of the greens etc. by about the 3rd or 4th hole... any ideas @cnosil or @chisag

I would agree we should know the speed of the greens by the 3rd or 4th hole.  Could be a million things: failure to assess what is happening on the greens, failure to adapt, not trusting instincts, not knowing how to adjust.    We also probably remember putts that are short more than long because we beat ourselves up more over a short putt;  players don't seem to understand/believe that putts also have dispersion patterns and some will be long and some will be short.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

51 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I would agree we should know the speed of the greens by the 3rd or 4th hole.  Could be a million things: failure to assess what is happening on the greens, failure to adapt, not trusting instincts, not knowing how to adjust.    We also probably remember putts that are short more than long because we beat ourselves up more over a short putt;  players don't seem to understand/believe that putts also have dispersion patterns and some will be long and some will be short.  

interesting comment about dispersion pattern, makes sense... why shouldn't there be... 

On 5/3/2024 at 10:51 AM, Sluggo42 said:

I think it’s important to play against good players if you want to improve. 

figure out how to get a good drive out there , whether it be a draw or a fade. (Hard to get on in 2 if you’re 300 yards away, or deep in the junk)

figure out how to get on or near the green. (Don’t be a pin seeker unless you can confidently do so, and if you’re not a low single, you probably can’t. Just aim center green, and get on or close)

figure out how to get up and down. (Almost every club in your bag can be the best option, think more roll and less flight as a very general rule)

learn how to lag it close to the hole to eliminate 3-putts. (Think laundry basket distance. Two feet left is much easier than 8 feet beyond)

use a better ball. (Lots of decent balls to choose from, maybe it’s time to move on from the pinnacle or Kirkland)

use clubs that suit your game. (Those blades look good and feel even better when you flush one eh? Except yu haven’t flushed a hit since 2010, and it really stings on those cold mornings. Some super forgiving irons will dramatically improve your chances of getting on or close)

don’t try the billion to one odds shot out of trouble, as 99999999 out of a billion, it will cost you more than one stroke. (Just get a ball back into play. Not sexy, but smart)

THANK YOU capt obvious!

easier said than done eh, but all of these things are crucial to scoring.

Really great stuff there!!!
..and so you implemented it all and broke the course record, is that what you're telling us? 😉 

Thx for the great reminders 👍

@Michael.Sandoval33 - happy happy 34 and sounds like you are playing some really good golf now!!

@Syks7 and @cjeffs12 and @Northern Monkey and @Knight017 - congrats!! all of you on each of your new PBs! .. great golfing and great mental game stamina!! 

@Jmikecpa - nice to read about your fitness progress and hope you can continue to build on it!! 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

13 minutes ago, edingc said:

Couple clean rounds to end off the week. +4 76 on Thursday despite dumping a ball in the water with a wedge in hand (ouch!). +2 38 on the back yesterday and +2 38 on the front this morning. 

Feeling pretty good about my game right now for the first time in a while. My putting and short game have been really solid so far. My full swing is iffy at times - I've definitely gotten a little left and steep in my quest to eliminate the hooks. But all in all cannot complain.

Hoping we dry out soon as it's still very wet!

It's good to see you in such great form this early in the season Cody! Hopefully we'll hear about some under par rounds from you soon. 

9 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

I think we just underestimate how grass, grain and water combined really affect how the ball moves . Additionally, the ball picks up water which just even complicates it more . With that said , my mind set is that I try to envision that the ball is on a” long  wet rag “and that seems to help with my pace for the most part . If you don’t play in the early mornings with these conditions , it’s really hard to adjust even more . That’s why I just wait until 930 or so to play , the problem is corrected . Everyone have a great night !

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I think we just underestimate how grass, grain and water combined really affect how the ball moves . Additionally, the ball picks up water which just even complicates it more . With that said , my mind set is that I try to envision that the ball is on a” long  wet rag “and that seems to help with my pace for the most part . If you don’t play in the early mornings with these conditions , it’s really hard to adjust even more . That’s why I just wait until 930 or so to play , the problem is corrected . Everyone have a great night !

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

10 minutes ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

I like the analogy of the "long wet rag" I won't use it but I like it. 

50 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Nice day for golf except it was a little breezy and the rain for a few holes.   Wasn't really happy how I played but my short game wasn't too terrible.   

41/38:79     6 FW  6 GIR 28 putts.   

Still good to see that you are back out on the course and better results with come with more time out. 👍

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to "Unboxing & Set-Up" post

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Really great stuff there!!!
..and so you implemented it all and broke the course record, is that what you're telling us? 😉 

Thx for the great reminders 👍

@Michael.Sandoval33 - happy happy 34 and sounds like you are playing some really good golf now!!

@Syks7 and @cjeffs12 and @Northern Monkey and @Knight017 - congrats!! all of you on each of your new PBs! .. great golfing and great mental game stamina!! 

@Jmikecpa - nice to read about your fitness progress and hope you can continue to build on it!! 

I totally agree ! I love to play with my friends but I have really tried to play more with the men that are + 3 to scratch players . First of all , you can learn a lot by simply watching . Secondly, most of these guys have become  better players by playing with and being challenged by a better player also . Last and most importantly, most of these guys will love helping you become a better player if you will just ask them . They haven’t always been an A player !

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS