Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Texas Open is Open for Suggestions.

RoverRick

Pick The Date.  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which date will work better in your schedule?

• August 16-17
    • September 13-14
    • Does not matter.
    • I have suggested a time below that will work best for me.

Alright gents, the moment we have all been waiting for. At least the moment all of us in the Great State of Texas has been waiting for, The Texas Open.

During the past week or so I have had side chats with four other forum members. Two are the other KBS C Taper Lite testers and two others. All of us are excited about getting together and playing the Texas Open.

Here is the biggest problems as I see it, location and heat. In a state where you can play comfortable for 10 months a year, we are now entering the time where one can not play comfortably. It will be down right hot over the next two months. The good news is chance of a total rain out is pretty slim. This is not a big deal to me because I plan on having a cart and plenty of water and possibly a cold beer or two, but some may scoff at the temperatures. I generally do not play if the temperature is below 4* or above 106*. I played 350 days last year and skipped each of these days.

Next issue, is location and duration. Are you wanting a single day event or a Friday and Saturday or a Friday, Saturday and Sunday event. Also, there is at least 270 miles between my house and Hula's house. In between there are 12 - 16 other spies. Also, there are a bunch of deserving golf courses. Due to the distances involved an overnight stay for some of us is a must. So maybe a Friday afternoon round and Saturday morning round and then go home is the ticket. Or Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

For best options, I think we need a golf Resort, Hill Country or Texas Piney Woods. Semi- Centrally located and not inside the big city where 5-6 hour rounds are the norm.

Two people have suggested Pine Dunes Golf Resort in Frankston Texas. (near Athens), This course has been rated number 1 in Texas and #26 in the US. It appears to be reasonably priced and open to a small gathering. I was originally looking at Marble Falls because it was closer to the majority of people, nearer I 35, but it is probably twice the price.

So, while I am in no way locked in on this site or time I think it best to put out a tentative time and place and have others join in, and go from there. The weekend of August 17 at the Pine Dunes.

Once we have some idea of who may come and when I will contact them and see what kind of a deal we are looking at. Also, what type of duration are you expecting?

Who is with me? And what suggestions do you have?

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Hmmm. We could fly into Dal/FW on Thursday the 15th and fly home on Sunday the 18th for $792....

Go to seatlle it's worth the $400 you will save.

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

This sounds pretty good. My father will actually be in town this weekend which is cool. I vote for 16th-17th so that I can be home for Sunday. Round Friday, spend the night, two rounds Saturday.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Pine Dunes is about 2 hours from my home; it would be feasible, but not ideal, to commute. I cannot think of any resort course between my place and Pine Dunes.

For those flying in, it is a bit of a drive from D-FW airport, but you only have to make the drive twice, and it is probably less expensive (and less crowded) than the resort courses closer to the airport.

FWIW, I play in a league on Thursday's after work. Most of the rounds last year were between 100-106 (degrees, not score!), without much shade at the course we play. If you stay hydrated and wear sunscreen, you should be ok (even in August), and I say this as a 55 year old, 6" 2", out-of-shape 2-mumble-mumble hundred pound man.

Rumor has it that BestGrips will be the sponsor again and is designing hats for this event. Ooohhhaaaa. Can't wait.

Rumor has it that BestGrips will be the sponsor again and is designing hats for this event. Ooohhhaaaa. Can't wait.

We have to step it up since this is in the lone star state!

Participants will receive a Texas Open Hat and a MicroPerf (Standard or Oversized) Club Grip with a special Texas Open Emboss and a course colored stitch.

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

We have to step it up since this is in the lone star state!

Participants will receive a Texas Open Hat and a MicroPerf (Standard or Oversized) Club Grip with a special Texas Open Emboss and a course colored stitch.

Will there be prizes for the winner? I recommend a full set of the same grips since I plan on winning and that is what I want. Man that sounded really selfish and trash talky coming from the Pastor. Let the games begin.

What's in my Bag:
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Will there be prizes for the winner? I recommend a full set of the same grips since I plan on winning and that is what I want. Man that sounded really selfish and trash talky coming from the Pastor. Let the games begin.

Lol it's just the competive side coming out is all

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The winner will receive a 15 minute q&a with me! laugh.gif

I decided to offer stuff to all the participants instead of something for the winner. There may be a puttershoe, but that will be last minute. I guess I could re-use the Vancouver one! haha

Oh well, I guess bragging rights is enough. However if the Rover keeps shooting in the 60's none of us stand a chance anyway!

What's in my Bag:

Oh well, I guess bragging rights is enough. However if the Rover keeps shooting in the 60's none of us stand a chance anyway!

I dream of having another round on the weekend in the 60's. However, the guys I was playing with made such a big deal out of the 30 on the front 9, the pressure was really intense. That is why I normally shoot better during the week. The smallest error on holes 8 & 9 and 16, 17, & 18 can turn into double bogies in a heart beat and there are many more distractions on the weekend. Many times I have been under par going into those holes and left with big numbers. All 5 holes require tee shots and/or approach shots over water.

However, since this open to spies of all playing abilities we will do like we did in Vancouver to where everyone has an equal opportunity. The fellowship is the first priority and golf is second.

In Vancouver the golf was like third because there were sites to see. In Texas, well, not so many sites to see.

I was bored

mgstexas_open_merge_small.jpg

I like it! Wish I could make it

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm not from Texas so I'm not a Nutcase like most Texans. I'm surprised that no one has made a crack about a Canadian making the Texas Open Logo. As a Texas transplant I would recommend a couple changes to the Logo:

1. Put the outline of the state in the back around everything

2. Change the yellow in the logo to white. (Texans are partial to red, white and blue, as are those from the US in general.)

Also, to be clear these are just suggestions. I am so thankful to graphic designers like you who make the interweb more bearable to look at for other artsy types like myself.

What's in my Bag:

Dang, this is the first time seeing this thread.... :lol:

I would be done with Marble Falls, I hear Horse Shoe Bay is in Stellar condition as well, around the corner from Marble....

horse shoe bay

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Dang, this is the first time seeing this thread.... :lol:

I would be done with Marble Falls, I hear Horse Shoe Bay is in Stellar condition as well, around the corner from Marble....

horse shoe bay

Zach and I looked at this and were talking about it initially, but it was $256 per night verses $155. These were just on line pricing and might can get better deals but my reasoning is that we can get more participants for $100 less per night. In the grand scheme of things, having been to Vancouver, we could meet at the Temple Texas Putt Putt Course and have a good time just because we all share a common interest. But Pine Dunes is a fine course of its own.

I have no idea if they even have a Putt Putt course in Temple so I hope I did not offend anyone.:lol:

Zach and I looked at this and were talking about it initially, but it was $256 per night verses $155. These were just on line pricing and might can get better deals but my reasoning is that we can get more participants for $100 less per night. In the grand scheme of things, having been to Vancouver, we could meet at the Temple Texas Putt Putt Course and have a good time just because we all share a common interest. But Pine Dunes is a fine course of its own.

I have no idea if they even have a Putt Putt course in Temple so I hope I did not offend anyone.:lol:

I see your point, Looks like a 5 hour drive from San Antonio, I will probably fly into Dallas Love and drive the rest of the way..... much easier.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I see your point, Looks like a 5 hour drive from San Antonio, I will probably fly into Dallas Love and drive the rest of the way..... much easier.

Seriously, I can drive to San Antonio from my house in 5 hours, my wife can make it in 4, not sure why she did not get a number of tickets, and I am 80 miles east of Dallas. It is about 4 hours drive according to Yahoo, but flying to Dallas will not save much time. I do not make short flights, when I get on a plane it is generally to another country, but still, 2 hours driving from Dallas, half an hour flight, plus getting clubs in through the airport and security versus throwing them in the trunk, I would not be surprised if it did not take longer to fly to Dallas and drive then drive straight there.

For next year, if we go to Lake of the Ozarks, Zach and I are talking about him coming to my house and then the next day we drive up together. You may want to link up with someone in Austin or San Antonio and ride together. Might make it more enjoyable, or not.

I really wanted to find some place in like Hearne, Texas. But sadly, I have been to Hearne (four years in College Station) and can see no reason to go back.

I came up with 4 choices and the best two as far as drive were Pine Dunes and Horseshoe Bay/Marble Falls, and $100 per night was the clincher. Heck, I can go a long way on $100 worth of gas and I get 14 mpg.

Im in no matter what, going to see if TXSTCATMAN wants to make the journey, I can scoop him up in Austin and we can hit the trial. Looks like majority of the driving will be on SH-79 cutting across from Austin up to Pine Dunes. Too Bad SH-130 did not go further north, we could have been there in no time at 85 MPH....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Im in no matter what, going to see if TXSTCATMAN wants to make the journey, I can scoop him up in Austin and we can hit the trial. Looks like majority of the driving will be on SH-79 cutting across from Austin up to Pine Dunes. Too Bad SH-130 did not go further north, we could have been there in no time at 85 MPH....

Just be cautious in Franklin just after Hearne, as I said I have made that trip many times and it pay to be a law abiding citizen. Not much else for them to do in Franklin.:lol:

What's a putt putt? Like mini golf?

Yes, it is a brand of mini golf. Or was a brand back in the 80's. I have not seen one in years.

Just be cautious in Franklin just after Hearne, as I said I have made that trip many times and it pay to be a law abiding citizen. Not much else for them to do in Franklin.:lol:

SH79 pretty much a two lane highway ? 65 MPH?? just trying to route this trip

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

SH79 pretty much a two lane highway ? 65 MPH?? just trying to route this trip

Pretty much. but almost a straight line.

I have a question for everyone. I have family in town from the east coast the week we are talking about doing this. Hw would people feel about bumping it a few weeks say to the 13-14th of September? It would be cooler then too!

What's in my Bag:

I guess that on Monday, I will try to get an actual count and start to finalize this so that people can plan appropriately. Rickles has said he can not make that weekend so I have included a poll on this thread. Pick your date. And reply here so we can see what we need to do.

Archived