Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

In Hand Pics! - adidas Golf Unveils New gripmore Models

• SPY VIP

adidas gripmore-16.jpg

Today adidas Golf announced the first two models to utilize the company's gripmore technology.

Functionally gripmore can be thought of as either a spikeless spiked design, or a spiked spikeless design.

Like spikeless designs, the cleats are injected directly onto the sole of the shoe. They're non-replaceable, and don't require any additional structures (housings) to secure the cleats.

With respect to shape and function, the new gripmore spikes are more inline with what you'd find on a spiked model. Because no additional structure is required, adidas was able to place more spikes (43 of them) on the sole for a total of 243 points of contact.

As you can imagine, gripmore is being billed as more versatile while offering outstanding performance. Take statements like that for what they're worth, but I can tell you that as much as they love adizero one and pure 360, gripmore is the footwear offering that the adidas golf guys are most excited about this season.

The gripmore shoe saw plenty of action during The Masters with Justin Rose, Jim Furyk, and Martin Kaymer all wearing them. Matt Kuchar wore them for two of his 4 rounds en route to his win at the RBC Heritage.

I'm expecting the media kit to arrive later today, so hold for pictures and initial thoughts.

Arrived the adicross gripmore Media Kit Hath...or Has. Whatever, the damn box is here.

Off topic for just a bit...the mastermind (if you want to call it that) behind these adidas/Ashworth Media kits is Jory Mendes (PR guy for adidas/Ashworth). While the original floating adizero wasn't his, he's responsible for the most of the Ashworth and adidas stuff that has come in since. 

Inside the walls of TaylorMade-adidas, Mendes (@itsthejor) is generally regarded as a horrible tweeter, but that aside, after seeing his latest kit creation, I'm inclined to let him keep the title of Undisputed Champ of the Media Kit (for now).

I have no opinion on the comfort/performance of the shoe as of yet. I've got a match tomorrow night, and I'll make an attempt to wear the gripmore for the duration. I'll let you know how it goes.

Order adidas gripmore now - $149.99

This, my friends, is what adidas calls a shoebox (media edition):

adidas gripmore-1.jpg

adidas gripmore-2.jpg

adidas gripmore-3.jpg

And on the Inside:

adidas gripmore-4.jpg

adidas gripmore-5.jpg

adidas gripmore-6.jpg

adidas gripmore-7.jpg

adidas gripmore-8.jpg

adidas gripmore-9.jpg

adidas gripmore-10.jpg

adidas gripmore-11.jpg

adidas gripmore-12.jpg

adidas gripmore-13.jpg

adidas gripmore-14.jpg

adidas gripmore-15.jpg

adidas gripmore-17.jpg

Order adidas gripmore now - $149.99

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

Here's the Full Press Release

adidas Golf Unveils New Footwear Models Featuring Revolutionary gripmore Technology

An Evolution in Golf Footwear, Exclusive Footwear Technology Delivers Unmatched Combination of Spiked and Spikeless Performance

Carlsbad, Calif. (April 21, 2014) – adidas Golf, an industry leader in innovation, technology and performance footwear, has announced the release of two all-new footwear models featuring proprietary gripmore® technology, an innovation in golf footwear cleat design that combines the performance benefits of spiked and spikeless footwear into one revolutionary technology.

The evolution of golf cleats has seen little change in innovation over the course of the last century. From metal spikes to soft spikes and most recently spikeless models, cleat technology has remained stagnant with little advancement. The adidas Golf team set out to change the state of the footwear game, embarking on a mission to reshape the industry to create a groundbreaking category of shoe for all golfers. The result: adicross gripmore and pure 360 gripmore sport. 

grip1.jpggrip2.jpg

Unlike traditional spiked golf shoes that require receptacles to house cleats on the sole, gripmore cleats are directly injected onto lightweight mesh matting inclusive of hundreds of microspikes for even more traction and stability. In addition to unbelievable grip, both models are among the most green-friendly the company has ever created.

grip3.jpggrip4.jpg

The first of two models to feature gripmore technology, the adicross gripmore utilizes 43 gripmore cleats and a total of 243 points of contact for the ultimate combination of versatility and performance. Featuring premium sport-styling with modern aesthetics and colors and a premium full grain leather upper, the adicross gripmore line has outstanding comfort and casual crossover appeal that delivers the performance golfers of all types demand.

2013 U.S. Open Champion and adidas Golf Tour staff professional Justin Rose debuted the adicross gripmore at the WGC-Cadillac Championship in March, where he praised the shoe's crossover performance characteristics. “I'm always looking for footwear that provides traction without compromising comfort, style or on-course performance,” he said. “With gripmore, I have the versatility of a spikeless shoe combined with the performance of a cleated shoe. It's the best of both styles.”

With a more athletically-inspired design, the pure 360 gripmore sport features a waterproof mesh upper with climaproof®, 360WRAP technology and a powerband™ chassis for increased stability. Featuring 23 gripmore cleats and a total of 161 contact points, the shoe provides exceptional traction with the combination of comfort, protection and performance.

Available June 1, adicross gripmore will be available in three colorways: aluminum / running white / light scarlet, running white / running white / light scarlet and black/ running white / light scarlet at an MSRP of $150 USD.

Also available June 1, pure 360 gripmore sport will be available in two colorways: black / metallic silver / light scarlet and light onix / running white / light scarlet at an MSRP of $130 USD.

For more information on gripmore technology or to view the entire adicross gripmore and pure 360 gripmore collections, visit adidasgolf.com.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I like the look of the pure 360s, I think they would look great with shorts

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Thanks MGS for the info!  After watching the Masters I went to the Adidas website for the scoop and all I found was 1 picture with no details.  How frustrating.

I just went back and same thing. Despite what the press release above says the link yielded the same page with no information.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

I like the look of the shoe and the spikeless spiked design sounds real interesting.  I've never had success with shoes that do not have traditional cleats since they wear out super fast for me.  I'd love to hear how these hold up after about 4-5 months, because they look great!

Anyone have the color options available for these new adidas?

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Those look great

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I'm with Theoo on the 360's except for one detail. After being inside all winter I have no business having my pasty white chicken legs in shorts, in public. The glare might blind someone. Lol. All joking aside, it's definitely an interesting concept that I can't wait to hear how it works out. And can you imagine how much it would drive a person mad if they were replaceable spikes? I'm getting a little tinge of carpal tunnel just thinking about it.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I have a pair of the Addicross that I bought last year when I was in Malaysia and after a year plus the soles look brand new.  Can't wait to give the new version a try.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

If TMAG can release new clubs every few weeks why do we have to wait until June for these shoes?  Where I live the golf season is more than half over by that time.

I would love to give them a try but I probably will buy a new pair before then and TMAG will miss out on my $.  

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

Looks better than the stuff they had at the 2 golf stores I went to yesterday.

But that isn't saying much. Shoes have become cheap materials with a huge price tag. Really shameful what you get for your money these days.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

• SPY VIP

Looks better than the stuff they had at the 2 golf stores I went to yesterday.

But that isn't saying much. Shoes have become cheap materials with a huge price tag. Really shameful what you get for your money these days.

This same idea came up when the original adizeros were released last year. Are the materials actually cheaper? Has quality really been diminished? 

In the past 4 years or so I've had one pair of shoes basically split where the upper meets the sole (True Linkswear...was a known issue with their first models), and another where the inside of the heel wore through what I would consider prematurely, but otherwise I haven't had any issues to speak of.

So I'm wondering, is it actually that overall quality (both materials and construction) has decreased, or is it simply that new materials look and feel different and that bonded seams don't appear as durable as stitching? Is it actual quality, or the perception of quality? I think we have preconceived notions of what quality looks and feels like, and when what we see doesn't align, we sometimes assume lesser quality.

I'd argue that quality concerns aside, golf shoes have actually gotten more comfortable with the prevalence of new materials.

Or course, sometimes things are just cheaply made and fall apart, but for the most part I haven't' personally experienced that with the name brands.

• SPY VIP

Walked 9 in the gripmore the other day. After a few more rounds I'll probably post a full review on the main site.

Initial thoughts - unquestionably comfortable, much more cushioned than other Samba-inspired designs from adidas.

Initial concerns - We had a bit of rain, and while there were no waterproofing issues with the shoes, the entire sole became totally caked with mud to the point where only the tips of the spikes were visible. I didn't have any traction issues, but a in a full rain situation, I think one might need moregrip

This same idea came up when the original adizeros were released last year. Are the materials actually cheaper? Has quality really been diminished? 

In the past 4 years or so I've had one pair of shoes basically split where the upper meets the sole (True Linkswear...was a known issue with their first models), and another where the inside of the heel wore through what I would consider prematurely, but otherwise I haven't had any issues to speak of.

So I'm wondering, is it actually that overall quality (both materials and construction) has decreased, or is it simply that new materials look and feel different and that bonded seams don't appear as durable as stitching? Is it actual quality, or the perception of quality? I think we have preconceived notions of what quality looks and feels like, and when what we see doesn't align, we sometimes assume lesser quality.

I'd argue that quality concerns aside, golf shoes have actually gotten more comfortable with the prevalence of new materials.

Or course, sometimes things are just cheaply made and fall apart, but for the most part I haven't' personally experienced that with the name brands.

No, I'm walking into the store and witnessing a bunch of Chinese made crap that is made from poor petrochemical materials that are all about profit. No need to doctor up my perception of reality as it relates to shoes and tell me I'm really looking at something good. I have literally been trying to find shoes that fit me for no less than four years without luck, save for one pair of 12W Contours I got last year, and the sole appears to be coming away from the leather already. I got them in late October. Played maybe 20 rounds in them. Comfort is definitely relative with footwear. I am having absolutely ZERO luck with shoes for a long time now. It's super frustrating.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Initial concerns - We had a bit of rain, and while there were no waterproofing issues with the shoes, the entire sole became totally caked with mud to the point where only the tips of the spikes were visible. I didn't have any traction issues, but a in a full rain situation, I think one might need moregrip

I think this is more of a spikeless design thing, than a unique to the gripmore shoes thing.  The two days that we get rain in Southern California and I happen to not be wearing my regular golf shoes with the traditional spikes the same thing happens, also real early in the morning when the grass is super wet.

I think that it happens a little less with the ones that have traditional screw in cleats/spikes because the spikes elevate the sole and provide some space for the mud and grass clippings to slough off and not get caked on as bad.

The more I look at the soles of the gripmores though, I do wonder if packing the spikes in so dense may not be the most ideal design.  But what do I know about shoe design, very little I assure you.

• 2 weeks later...

I dig the gripmore for the styling. I've got a pair if the FJ street from 2 years ago and love the feel and casual style. The sporty styles can be cool, but I lean towards the gripmore. Sweet designs. Hope there are other color options

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Archived