Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

JUST ARRIVED! - Bobby Jones Wedges

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

These just arrived at the MyGolfSpy Office and we will be reviewing these soon.

The aerospace steel alloy Carpenter 440XH face material – a remarkably wear-resistant metal alloy (often used in industrial bearing assemblies and critical valve components) – will maintain both face friction and groove integrity far longer than conventional wedges, thus providing consistently high backspin longevity. With new USGA regulations on the horizon, wedge durability will be more important than ever for maintaining shot trajectory and control. The Carpenter 440XH material is milled to a USGA-conforming texture of 180 micro-inches, creating a face texture and edge-groove radius perfect for consistent shot making.

Many golfers do not realize that backspin longevity is so fleeting that tour professionals replace their wedges often throughout the golf season to keep ball control and shot performance at the highest possible level.

“These enduring wedges will help golfers hit better scoring game shots, control their wedge distances to tighter tolerances, and consistently shoot lower scores,” said Pelz.

Using a proprietary design technique, Bobby Jones - Pelz Wedges provide the perfect combination of soft-feeling shots and extremely low face wear to produce a superior-performing wedge, season after season. By applying heat and pressure to a special structural bonding membrane, Ortiz facilitates the release of an epoxy resin, which – upon cooling – creates a bond between the club's stainless body and face material that is stronger than welding. Upon curing, the membrane returns to its slightly spongy state, thus creating a soft forged-like feel to each shot.

The club's body is cast from a soft 302 stainless steel. A pocket and deep set channels are milled to accommodate the club's wear-resistant Carpenter 440XH face material. The channels behind the clubface-insert remove substantial weight from the central section of the body, allowing additional weight to be repositioned to the sole for a low center-of-gravity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsSC6_55wY4

bj-wedge-1.jpg

bj-wedge-2.jpg

bj-wedge-3.jpg

bj-wedge-4.jpg

bj-wedge-5.jpg

bj-wedge-6.jpg

bj-wedge-7.jpg

bj-wedge-8.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

#TruthDigest

That's a good looking wedge, the shape and grind are almost perfect. Love the technology involved as well, very good idea. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the look of the insert in the face. If they could get the color uniform across the face it would be better, but even that wouldn't stop me from giving this wedge a shot.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• SPY VIP

By no means have we put them through the paces yet in regards to a full review. But hit them a little today and one thing I can say about these is the balance of these wedges is great throughout the swing. And without having them on the monitors hard to know exactly but the face insert had great spin and feel.

The insert behind the insert is worth mentioning...the special structural bonding membrane behind the face makes for the great feel. And these faces are basically indestructable which means no worn down grooves...for like 10 years.

So far...really good.

#TruthDigest

By no means have we put them through the paces yet in regards to a full review. But hit them a little today and one thing I can say about these is the balance of these wedges is great throughout the swing. And without having them on the monitors hard to know exactly but the face insert had great spin and feel.

The insert behind the insert is worth mentioning...the special structural bonding membrane behind the face makes for the great feel. And these faces are basically indestructable which means no worn down grooves...for like 10 years.

So far...really good.

I love the look of the new wedge and specifically, the insert on the face. For me, the contrast adds as an alignment aid. I could see adding this club to my bag if it's performance matches it's look and claims.

Man, it's been like Christmas this past weekend, MGS people, get to work, lots of new stuff to review!!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

These will be done as a stand alone...down the road when we have done more wedges we will post all the results together so you can get a better view on how they stack up against the others.

Will this review be a stand-alone or will elements of this club be compared to some of the industry standard wedges like Cleveland and Vokey?

#TruthDigest

Archived