GolfSpy MPR

Mid-Atlantic: NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA

Our Sponsors

On 5/17/2020 at 12:28 AM, Purple-Eagle said:

Hi,

I've been playing golf for about 15 years now. It happened by accident as I never thought I would be this addicted to the game. Not to mention waste a Saturday and Sunday afternoon watching some one else play the game. Now it is all I want to do with my free time.

What I love about golf is the rollercoater of emotions it puts you through as you can easily go from king of the course to course jester in the time at it takes walk from one green to the next tee box. You always have to stay focused as it is never mastered.   I have also met many new people on the course who have become of course friends as well. No nicer group of strangers than fellow golfers

I am from Buffalo NY and spend a lot of time at Cazenovia Golf Course  and Hyde Park Golf Club in Niagara Falls. I also get out to about a dozen different courses throughout the summer. I always enjoy playing a new course for the first time

The weather in this area makes for a short season for most, but me and a friend have found ourselves out there looking for balls in the snow more than once.

Being an over the road truck driver limits the time s I have to play so getting out any chance I am home is greatly appreciated. I do carry a set of clubs in my truck and have played at many out of my home area courses on many occasions.

my user name comes from back before I ever thought of golfing and owned my own rig which was a purple International Eagle.

Cool, I have a lot of family up in Jamestown, and Fredonia NY good to have you!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  5-PW :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ Modus 120 xstiff

Wedges:   :titelist-small: SM6 56* F grind, 52* M grind

Putter:  :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #3

8 hours ago, AceBino said:

Hi everyone - I'm happy to be a part of this site!

1. I've been playing for about 35 years (really - its been THAT long?!?!), and I'm a 5 handicap.

2. The thing I love about golf is that you can never truly master it - it's a constant pursuit of perfection that will never be achieved but the chase is sooooo much fun.

3. My cousin is a member of the forum, and he knows how much of a geek for golf I am so he recommended it to me.

4. I'm originally from Jamestown, NY but I have been living in the DC metro area (mostly in Northern VA) since 1995.

5. Best things are we can play just a about year-round, there's access to some really good instructors.  Bad things are green fees are expensive and the pace of play is really slow.

6. I'm a business consultant by day.

7. I've never had an ace before, so that's my big goal!!  the other part is my nickname.

There's my boy!!!  Glad you are here buddy!  You will LOVE it.  I will tell you AceBino can play!

5 hours ago, talleyberry said:

Hi everybody!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've been playing since I could walk, but stopped for close to a decade between 21 and 31. Picked it up again last year, got back to 5, now haven't played for half a year. Mostly high 70s last year.
  2. What do you love about golf?

Everything. The golf course is my favorite place to be (even better if it's a cool and windy day on a links course). I love the challenge of golf.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Great site for reviews. I probably do, but none that I know of.
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I'm from DC, lived in Bangkok for six years, now live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Currently planning to play mostly at Hog Neck Golf Course and Hunter's Oak. Formerly out of Avenel/Potomac.
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Lots of good courses, but it's hot and humid during the summer, cold and snowy in the winter.
  6. What do you do for a living?

I'm a teacher.
  7. How’d you pick your user name?

It's a secret.

TalleyTiger copy.jpg

TalleyGolf.jpg

You are near my neck of the woods.  Very familiar with Hog Neck.  I used to live in Salisbury for a number of years.  I too am a teacher, what grade/school?

37 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

You are near my neck of the woods.  Very familiar with Hog Neck.  I used to live in Salisbury for a number of years.  I too am a teacher, what grade/school?

I'm teaching middle school here in Talbot County. How about you? I was teaching while I lived in Bangkok, too. Lots of golf courses over there, actually! I should have been playing the whole time I was there, but just never got around to it until last year.

Let me know when you're up for visiting Hog Neck! I've got nobody to play with at the moment.

Hi,

I've been playing golf for about 15 years now. It happened by accident as I never thought I would be this addicted to the game. Not to mention waste a Saturday and Sunday afternoon watching some one else play the game. Now it is all I want to do with my free time.

What I love about golf is the rollercoater of emotions it puts you through as you can easily go from king of the course to course jester in the time at it takes walk from one green to the next tee box. You always have to stay focused as it is never mastered.   I have also met many new people on the course who have become of course friends as well. No nicer group of strangers than fellow golfers

I am from Buffalo NY and spend a lot of time at Cazenovia Golf Course  and Hyde Park Golf Club in Niagara Falls. I also get out to about a dozen different courses throughout the summer. I always enjoy playing a new course for the first time

The weather in this area makes for a short season for most, but me and a friend have found ourselves out there looking for balls in the snow more than once.

Being an over the road truck driver limits the time s I have to play so getting out any chance I am home is greatly appreciated. I do carry a set of clubs in my truck and have played at many out of my home area courses on many occasions.

my user name comes from back before I ever thought of golfing and owned my own rig which was a purple International Eagle.

I used to work a Cazenovia Park Golf Course for 5 years during college, I’m sure we’ve crossed paths before. Good to see more Buffalo guys on here.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, talleyberry said:

I'm teaching middle school here in Talbot County. How about you? I was teaching while I lived in Bangkok, too. Lots of golf courses over there, actually! I should have been playing the whole time I was there, but just never got around to it until last year.

Let me know when you're up for visiting Hog Neck! I've got nobody to play with at the moment.

I also teach middle school...science in Smyrna DE.  I am game anytime to play, just trying to get my swing back  but it's been so windy and cold this year I have not been out much.  The invite goes both ways, if you ever want to get over to DE and play let me know, I work at Maple Dale in Dover but we can play all over.  I actually want to hit River Marsh and try their scooters or boards or whatever they are called.  Looks fun.

• Love 1

Hey fellow golfers. I am trying to be more active here in the MyGolfSpy forum and I thought this might be a good place to start. I live in Herndon, VA (about 30 min west of Washington D.C.) and if any other MyGolfSpy'ers are located near here, I'd like to play a round sometime in the future once all this Covid stuff is over. 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing golf since I was 18 or about the past 22 years. I fell in love with my first trip to the driving range and have played as much as I can since that first trip. I've never got an official handicap. I normally shoot in the mid 80s depending on how often I can get out. I actually shot 79 and 77 last summer and my best round ever was a 72. 

What do you love about golf? The thing I love about golf is just the individual challenge it brings. Ever since I topped that first driver off the tee on the driving range, I've been trying to get better. And getting better with golf is a very challenging thing to do. Anyone who golfs knows how things come and go. One day you can hit the driver and can't putt, the next day the driver is in the woods, but you can get up and down pretty well. That constant change and the chasing of improvement is so addictive and something I enjoy every time out on the course. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I actually found MyGolfSpy by seeing the sticker on a putter at my local GolfGalaxy. I looked it up on my phone and became a member shortly after that. The thing I like most about MyGolfSpy is the reviews of golf equipment and products. Since I don't have the time or disposable income to spend like I once did, I want to make sure my golfing dollars are going further. I believe MyGolfSpy can help me narrow down from the multitude of selections there area available in all areas of golf equipment/gear. 

Where are you from? What is your home course? I currently live in Herdon, VA, but I'm originally from a little town called Vernon, Florida. Here locally, I normally play at Herndon Centennial Golf Course. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I guess a best thing about golf in my area is the weather. The season is fairly long with just a few weeks where maybe you couldn't really golf. The worst part about golf here is the cost. Greens fees and cart fees are quite expensive, especially on the weekends when you might have the time. And also the crowds. I've played rounds that have pushed close to 6 hours just because the amount of people on the course and there is no effort to move play along or improve pace. 

What do you do for a living? I'm a government contractor. Pretty boring. 

How’d you pick your user name? Darth comes from Darth Vader as I'm a big fan of Star Wars and Gator because I'm a huge Florida Gators fan. The 007 is from James Bond and I just sort of put them all together. 

• Like 1

Been using the SuperSpeedGolf system now for 7 weeks.  Increased my average golf club speed by 7 mph.

Ranny

Also been using the PerfectPractice mat for about two months.  My putting is much more consistent.

Ranny

What's up everyone! Long time social media and website user for My Golf Spy.  Sorry just never really got into the forums as much.  Really cool how they break it down by region. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing golf since I was kid playing with my father. Grew up on golf course in MD.  Worked there from 14 to 20 years old.  Spent lots of time fishing golf balls out of ponds as a kid.  I am a 7.3 handicap.  

2. What do you love about golf?- Just love the feeling of the perfect hit.  Regardless of playing many many times, each time is different.  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I have been a regular user of the website for a long time 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Cecil County MD.  Play at Chesapeake Bay Golf Club and my work has a membership at MD Golf in Bel Air MD

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? winters can be tough with snow.  Spring tends to be super wet.  

6. What do you do for a living? Banking

7. How’d you pick your user name? my favorite football player growing up was Jerome Bettis even though I am a Ravens fan now. 

Thinking of stopping all 3 wood use and going with my 4 hybrid.  Any ideas?

Ranny

On 2/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Mid-Atlantic Region

New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

How’s it going everyone?

My name is Brandon Brooks, and Im a 17-year-old golfer from northern “yee-haw” Maryland. I’ve been playing golf for about 9 years, but didn’t get too serious about it until my freshman year of high school when I tried out for my school’s team. I didn’t play in any matches, but I loved playing every day and dedicated myself to get better. That year my low round was a 45, where I averaged between 49 and 51. My sophomore year my low round dropped to a 42, where I then averaged between 47 and 49. This year my low round is a 40, and I average between 42 and 45 (We only play 9 holes at practice). I have a lot of improvements to make, but I continue to work!

The thing I love about golf is that it allows me, someone born with a rare birth issue, to not be held back by anything except my own mental strength. I have fewer abdominal muscles than most and my kidneys are poor. I can’t play football or lacrosse because its too dangerous to my insides. I was always too slow for basketball or baseball, but Golf was perfect for me. I work at a golf course, play all the time, and love every minute of it.

I came to MyGolfSpy this season when I was looking for new irons. This website helped me to decide on, what I believe, is the best golf purchase I have made. A brand new set of Mizuno JPX919 Forged irons. I always look at the site now when I want to try a new ball or see what company is at the top of their game with the clubs each year. Sometimes I wish Mizuno got more recognition for their woods though :’)

As stated earlier, I am from northern Maryland, in a small town near Westminster. My home course is Oakmont Greens (not the tour course), but I work at a very nice private course called Piney Branch that I will say has the fastest greens I have EVER played.

The best thing about golf near me is that because I am from a small town, the courses I work and play at know me. They know I play for the high school and they know I’m there to improve. The worst part is that most of the courses end up mediocre at best, or the public one at least. Luckily I can play at the private course I work at, but that’s the nicest place around. 

As I am only 17, I go to school and work in the bag room for a living :) Last year my gross pay was $2,500! Almost enough for a simulator to play with at home! Too bad I buy so much McDonalds...

My user name is based off of what many of my friends call me. My name is Brandon Brooks, so they just shorten it to “B Brooks” I like it, so I figured people on this site could refer to me as it as well :)

Thank you all for reading!

Brandon Brooks

C9C2ECC2-4072-4A1A-9890-6A17CFA1B86B.thumb.jpeg.ad0aa9b7c9568571e7e4d2b10b6fa6fa.jpeg

• Like 1

Thinking of stopping all 3 wood use and going with my 4 hybrid.  Any ideas?

What are you losing if you pull the. 3 wood. How often do you use it, what distance gap will it leave, would you use the hybrid more?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,  been lurking here for a while now but I need to be more involved.  I just recently moved to the Hampton Roads VA area from Clayton NC.  I've been playing golf steady now for a couple of years but I first started when I was 4 or 5 but stopped for a long time when I found baseball.  So about me, I'm a tattoo artist at a shop in Suffolk VA and I've been tattooing for 16 or 17 years.  I play pretty much Cobra everything except for my Odyssey Two-Ball.  I look forward to being more involved and meeting y'all.

Jamey

1. How long have you been playing golf? A Solid 3 Years

2. What’s your handicap or normal score? I'd say around a 92 is my normal score

3. What do you love about golf?  Being outside

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I've been lurking for a while but I'm here for the "articles"

5. Do you already know any other Spies? I believe I do.  Honestly, I'm not sure.

6. Where are you from? Originally from Johnston Co., North Carolina but have recently relocated to Hampton, VA

7. What is your home course?  I don't have one.  But I love The River in Louisburg, NC

8. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  We can play pretty much year round but in the summer the greens suck.

9. What do you do for a living?  I am a Tattoo Artist at The Original Folk City Tattoo in Suffolk, VA

10. How’d you pick your user name?  It's my name and what I do. 

Edited by JameyTattoo
I missed the first post becasue it's all in black
  • Like 1

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Since I was little. Was a range rat before I could drive and worked at a golf course as my first job. Took some time away from the game in college-early career, but getting back into it. Currently a 13.8 handicap but was a 7 in HS and looking to get back down to single digits.

2. What do you love about golf? Camaraderie with your playing partners, walking and getting exercise, and bending a course to your will - the last one hasnt happened much since I got back into it.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? The data. I'm a solo spy.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Washington DC. The goat ranch AKA East Potomac.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? How many courses there are  and how expensive they are.

6. What do you do for a living? I work in marketing. Not the scammy kind, the legit kind for a software company.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Portmanteau of my first and last names. been my nickname for as long as I can remember!

I'm from Niagara Falls, NY, but joined this group a few years ago when I lived in NJ for work.

1. Been playing golf for about 20 years, and the last time I had a handicap I was a about a 16. 

2. I love that golf can be played at any age, it's a sport where you can compete against others and against yourself, and as frustrating as the game is, it is also very relaxing walking or riding a golf course with a few beers and a nice cigar

3. Joined the group about 5 years ago, but was not really active in the past

4. Niagara Falls, NY and my home course is a local muni called Hyde Park Golf Course

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best part is that golf is growing and more local courses are starting to become better maintained, which makes golfing more enjoyable. Worst part of golf in the region is you can't play year-round, and the courses don't stay open even if the weather is alright in the winter.

6. Manage an operations center for an energy company

7. My username is just my name...not very creative

On 2/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Mid-Atlantic Region

New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

Been a follower of MGS for a few years now. I enjoy the articles and podcast so now I've decided to join the forum side.

1) I took lessons with Dad around age 7 but didn't start seriously playing until early high school and became hooked. Got my handicap down to a 3.2 last year.

2) I love the mental challenge of the game. It can be the most satisfying game one swing then the cruelest the next. I also like that I can get the same enjoyment playing with a group of friends as I can playing solo.

3) As a consumer, I am a review reader so when I started seeing the MGS Most Wanted stamp on products I got curious.

4) I live in Frederick, MD. I play a lot at Clustered Spires but grew up playing the Montgomery County courses.

5) Pro: I love that there a lot of great courses within a 30 to 45min drive and you can basically play year round if you're willing. 

Con: Even though there are a lot of great courses there are no true golf retailers. I have to travel to Baltimore or Nova to get my hands on a large selection of products. 

6) I am in personnel QA for an insurance carrier. 

7) Don't recall the exact reason but it's my original gamertag. 

Hi my name is Ryan and I'm from Eastern PA

1. I've been playing golf for about 7 years now

1. I love the competitiveness that Golf brings. It was difficult making the transition from youth sports to the working adult world and not having the sports in my life anymore. Golf gave me something to strive to be better at, and it has also brought many challenges.

1. I love the reviews online and I love the unbiased nature. 

1. I am from Eastern PA right outside of Philadelphia. My home course (use to be) Talamore Country Club

1. Courses tend to be very firm. There are more than 10 courses within 10 miles, though, which I greatly appreciate.

1. I am a Financial Advisor.

1. 😉

Driver: Ping G400 

Woods: Ping G400, G30

Irons: Ping i200

Wedges: Titleist SM6 & SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab One