txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Our Sponsors

For those of you that have gone through the data - can you Unselect All? Tried doing it - but was unable so I had to click each one I didn't want data on. 
Of course when I tried going back in - the server wasn't responding. 

I was able to select. I looked at the Pro V1x (current gamer) vs Snell MTB-X for comparison. They were very similar in the raw data outside of driver, but it seemed the ProV1x was more consistent.

Maybe once I get up to the 115mph after SuperSpeed training I’ll give them a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Still inaccessible here. I saw the home page for a sec but the report wouldn't load.

I assume Golf Digest has created bots to click on this constantly to keep it down until they can find a Prof who will accept payment to disprove all the findings.

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

Got in!!!  Amazing data MGS!!!  This was put together very well and was easy to read and understand.  I've been playing the Chrome Soft X...NOT ANY MORE!!!!  Time for a switch.  This is why I was waiting on buying new balls.  You guys do your job very well.  Thank you.

• Like 3

Same issues on my computer - showing that the site is unable to respond and load.  

• Like 1

... I am a little disappointed they did not use a 100mph swing speed. I think many more Am's swing at or near 100 than 115. They do allow some conversion when you combine 85 an 115 which is nice, but that is really just a guess. In the end, like all golf equipment, it isn't as easy as which ball is longest or which ball spins more. Many factors to interpret and a preliminary perusal shows many of the top tier balls are very competitive when you consider the trade offs of distance, spin, trajectory and dispersion. For instance the Maxfli Tour is almost 6 yards longer than the Tour X but it is also more than twice as bad for dispersion while spin, ball speed and launch angle are virtually identical. The angle of descent is steeper with the Tour but all the numbers are very similar so I not sure where the extra 6 yards or double the dispersion comes from. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Got in!!!  Amazing data MGS!!!  This was put together very well and was easy to read and understand.  I've been playing the Chrome Soft X...NOT ANY MORE!!!!  Time for a switch.  This is why I was waiting on buying new balls.  You guys do your job very well.  Thank you.

I guess those water-logged Chrome Softs I got weren't that good a deal after all.  

I will reiterate potentially the most important point in the whole piece which is to play the same ball consistently to get the best results.  If you do switch away from Callaway, whether it be to Titleist, Snell, Bridgestone, etc. you should expect at least a 2-3 round adjustment period to get the feel/distances calibrated before you see improvements in score. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, golfingbrock said:

I guess those water-logged Chrome Softs I got weren't that good a deal after all.  

I will reiterate potentially the most important point in the whole piece which is to play the same ball consistently to get the best results.  If you do switch away from Callaway, whether it be to Titleist, Snell, Bridgestone, etc. you should expect at least a 2-3 round adjustment period to get the feel/distances calibrated before you see improvements in score. 

Without a doubt!  You probably found a few of my Chrome Softs in the water.  haha.  I have never hit a Snell ball so I am hesitant there, I have hit Bridgestones and like them so maybe I game them this year.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

Oh snap. It loaded. Wayyy too much information to give you guys A “this ball won answer!” So I’ll stay #spoilerfree but that link will work at some point.

Just in time to read on my lunch break! 🙂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a chance to look at it, too.  Agree completely with the "wayyy too much information to give you a winner" comment.  When I finally get a chance to really dig in, it'll take me forever to figure out what I want to do regarding golf balls.

As you would expect, it''s extremely well done.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, juspoole said:

Same issues on my computer - showing that the site is unable to respond and load.  

same here, cant even glimpse the home page, thats been for over 2.5hrs now.

I have the patience of an impatient person from impatientville Idaho😂

• Like 3

I was able to take a quick look from my phone, but still no dice from my computer. Hoping to dive in once the onslaught of traffic has died down some. Based on what I saw though, I'm excited to dig into the data!

• Like 1

I find this kind of strange.  I have 3 favorite balls... in no particular order.

Snell MTB Black

Vice Pro

Bridgestone Tour B RX

And all 3 balls fell into the Good category in their Performance Chart.  Should I be looking for a ball better than "good"?

• Like 1

oh boy the servers are running at max capacity - I can't even get the forum pages to reload. 

• Like 1

The ball possibly causing me to miss the fairway is certainly depressing...

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

What's really crazy is the difference is distances at the slower speeds!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

same here, cant even glimpse the home page, thats been for over 2.5hrs now.

I have the patience of an impatient person from impatientville Idaho😂

An impatient Scotsman?  Never!!  (My MacKinnon blood made me say that!)

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

I find this kind of strange.  I have 3 favorite balls... in no particular order.

Snell MTB Black

Vice Pro

Bridgestone Tour B RX

And all 3 balls fell into the Good category in their Performance Chart.  Should I be looking for a ball better than "good"?

Personally I say yes. I loved the b330-rx and was fit into multiple times when Bridgestone did their in person fittings. The new version is not as good and lags behind both pro v balls and both tp5 balls.

the other two I have not played and I get the concept and people’s desire to play a lower cost tour level ball. If I was going that route I would play the oncore elixir.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wipierce said:

What's really crazy is the difference is distances at the slower speeds!

Compression matters. Slower speeds don’t compress some tour level balls that well. 

• Like 1

This may be the reason I find myself jumping from one ball to another... Snell MTB Black one day, then Vice Pro the next, and then back to the Tour RX.  I'm a firm believer in playing one ball and one ball only.  Definitely need to pick one and stay with it.  At this point, it may be the Bridgestone Tour X or the Oncore Elixir.  The value choice would be the Elixir.

• Like 1

What they should have done is suspended comments for the first couple days till everyone had a chance to digest the information.  This would have kept the traffic down so that some of us, me included, could at least view the information.  As it is, I have not been able to get to the website all day.  Disappointing to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Off Topic 1