Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Hybrids vs Fairway Woods

bha2597

I bought my r11 some time ago and I will buy my 3 FW 14 loft. Do u think that is better buy a 5 FW or a rescue 18 or 16 loft ???

I don't know which is "better"... I think it depends more on what you expect out of the club. Because of the different shaft lengths, the 5w would go farther than the hybrid, but the hybrid would be more accurate (in general). If you need more help on long approach shots, maybe the 5w would be the way to go. If you'd rather have something that you can control a little easier, maybe the hybrid is the way to go.

We can't tell you which is better for your game, only which each is designed for, after that it's all on you too decide what you want out of that particular gap in your bag.

Justin has described what they do. You choose.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

As said above, it's hard to say what is best for you, without knowing more about your "game", and playing style.

Alot of stores will do fittings for you to help you get set up with the right clubs for your swing, tempo, skill etc.

There is alot more to consider than just, picking a club based on specs; i.e. what loft, flex etc, and what "gap" you are trying to fill in your club set.

I have a driver and 4 wood, then go straight to hybrids (3,4). I like the feel of my hybrids more than my fairway, and find I use them more, they offer less distance but fit my on course needs better.

Drop by a good shop and they can usually guide you towards what you need based on what you have alreasdy and how you play,

There is no true better, only what works best for you. For me, it's an 18 degree hybrid, and that's after playing an 18-18.5 degree fairway for years.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

My problem is acuracy. But I think if I practice alot with my woods I will hit strait. But I will buy a T3 (r11) and the 5 FW. I hit like 150 with my 5 iron how mutch yards I will hit with the 5 FW ?? Or maybe I can use the T3, 4 FW, and 4 Iron ?. I dont like alot the hybrids idk why.

I replaced my 5 wood with 2 hybrid. My 2 hybrid is a real workhorse. When I need to get from here to there and cover some real estate reliably, this would be my go-to club.

Anytime I need to cover any distance between 80 and 200 yds this is the club for me. It has saved me many shots, I reckoned whenever I pull out my 2 hybrid, I potentially save myself 1 - 1.5 strokes.

A typical scenario is a bad drive that leaves me with more than 280 yards to the green. I could pull out my 3 wood which would be good for 220 yards, provided I don't top / duff it - that happens almost every time when it matters. On a downhill lie, it is almost impossible to hit a 3 wood for me. There's an 80% chance for me to take at least 3 strokes to cover 280 yards with a 3 wood; with shorter clubs, I would also take at least 3 strokes to cover the same distance. While the 2 hybrid I can reliably hit 200 yards from just about any lie, leaving me a straight forward chip to the green, that's 1 stroke saved.

By comparison my 5 wood is almost spanking new. The head is too big, club shaft too long, as a result it does nothing much more than to sit in the bag and look pretty, because somehow I just can't hit the darned thing. If I could hit the club, I could hit my 3 wood just as well because the difference between both is quite minimal to me.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

This might help with the distance question,

a 90 mph swing would get about, 165 yards from a 5 iron, this would be considered "medium",

at 150 you're hitting a 5 iron about the same as a "medium" hitter is hitting a short 6 or a longer 7,

If your problem is accuracy then you would be better sticking with the shorter shafted hybrids versus a fairway and working on developing control, and the shorter distance will be more than offset by the increased accuracy.

The TM products keep coming out with longer shafts for more distance, this is good if you have good control and can control the extra shaft length. Alot of low handicappers don't use these longer shaft lengths though, same driver but shaft length cut down.

That said, you'll find going to the FW you'll get better control with the FW then with the driver.

Still, sounds like you could use some solid advice from someone at a shop that does fittings. They can really help with getting you the right equipment for your swing, and level of play.

Golf Club Comparison Chart - Loft and Distance.xls.pdf

Thx I loved the pdf file but I will buy the 5 wood. I dont like hybrids. I think is because I used for some time a bad hybrid and when I think hybrind is bad shoots come in my mind but when I think 3 wood come a very good long shoot :) :) :) :)

Get them both and bag the one you think you will need for whatever course you plan to play that day, or for the conditions you expect to face. They are different clubs and perform differently. If you get to know them both, you will be able to choose the one you need for that day.

Shambles

Well I may be the odd man on his but here I go anyhow. I have an older Cally Steelhead 3 wood I can hit a variety of different shots with from around 200 to 225 with. I have always caried a 2 iron or 1 iron and I can still hit those. I have not ever found but 1 hybrid I could hit and it is a Hogan 2h with a S300 steel shaft. I was looking through my clubs one day and found a Taylor V steel 7 wood I liked the feel of it. i took it out and tried it and found out I could hit it and work it like the 3 wood with of course less distance. It has become my go to club for tricky situations. It has replaced the 2 iron. When the wind kicks up I can hit the low shots with the 3 iron hooded. That 7 wood has became my 175 to 200 club and has helped me tremendously. Sometimes you have to change with age. 10 years ago if you had told me that i would have taken out my 2 iron and put in a 7 wood by 2011 I would have probably asked you what kind of illegial substance you had been smoking!! Go with what ever feels good to you and you can gain confidence in

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

A lot of times, especially with the larger headed hybrids, people make a fatal flaw with the way they hit them. They hit them like a fairway wood, forward in the stance and sweep it. Hybrids are replacing an iron, you have to play and hit them like an iron, more toward the middle of your stance and hit down on them.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 questions that I never understand the answer. If can someone help me please ?

What club a 3 Hybrid will replace ?

How a 5 FW 19 loft shoot far than a 3H with 18 loft ? *

* If I cut the 5 FW and put the same way as the hybrid what will go farther ?

If I hit with my 5 FW 200Y how many I will hit with the 3 Hybrid ?

I have 3 questions that I never understand the answer. If can someone help me please ?

What club a 3 Hybrid will replace ?

A 3 hybrid is supposed to replace your 3 iron. But depending on your swing and the loft and club length of the hybrid, the hybrid could possibly go considerably longer - or even shorter - than the iron.

How a 5 FW 19 loft shoot far than a 3H with 18 loft ?

Most likely because of the difference in club length. Expect a 5W to be about 1 to 1 1/2 inches longer than its 2 hybrid counterpart. Even longer if compared to a 3 hybrid. Theoretically, if you have a fast swing speed that generates a lot of spin, you may be able to hit a fairway wood and a similarly lofted hybrid at pretty close to the same distance.

If I hit with my 5 FW 200Y how many I will hit with the 3 Hybrid ?

See above

If I cut the 5 wood for the same size of the hybrid what will go farther ?

5 FW - 19 loft

Or

3 H - 18 loft

Not recommended ....

1. Considerable loss in swing weight, alteration in the shaft's bend point and softening of shaft flex, unless you install a hybrid shaft with a tip diameter compatible with your FW hosel. Such a shaft - assuming it has your suitable flex and bend point - should also have an uncut weight that will compensate for its shorter length compared to the FW shaft's uncut weight (the rule of thumb is 7 grams per 1/2 inch, or something like that). Even then, you may still need to use a bit of lead tape on the club head.

2. Even if you found a suitable hybrid shaft, the lie angle of the FW head may no longer work for the shorter club. Most likely, it would have to be bent upright, also inadvisable if the club wasn't made with a softer hosel (you'll need to call the manufacturer's customer service to verify). However, if the club was about 3 degrees too upright for you to begin with, then the experiment could work.

By the way, here's a pretty good - and FREE - swing weight calculator tool that anyone can use to plug in numbers to determine head weight, shaft length, shaft weight, grip weight, etc. that add up to one's desired swing weight.

http://www.myostrichgolf.com/resources/swing.xls

The one thing it doesn't account for is lie angle, and that really can only be done at a proper, live fitting.

Archived