What is a best brand of golf apparel? & Why are golf clothes so expensive?

My top three would be Greyson Clothiers, Dunning and Peter Millar. They all have really nice tops and bottoms that are durable and comfortable. Although they're on the higher end price-wise, you'll look great and they last a long time if you follow the wash instructions and aren't a total slob.

:taylormade-small: M4, 9.5°, MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 TX

:callaway-small: RAZR Fit Xtreme, 15°, Accra DyMatch 2.0 ST80 M5

:callaway-small: Apex UT, 18°, Project X 6.0

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 4-PW, Project X 6.0

:vokey-small: SM6 50°, 12F

:vokey-small: TVD 56°, 12K

:vokey-small: SM6 60°, 08M

:cameron-small: Select GoLo 5 (Black Mist), 35”

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best is really a subjective thing.  I really like Underarmour polos but theyre expensive.  I really like the Hogan branded polos that Wal-Mart sells.  Theyre good quality and are dirt cheap.  I buy a

... I am a 34 waist too, and the silicone gripper certainly keeps my shirt tucked in, but I look like this after every swing:  

... Why so expensive? Corporate profits for CEO's, board members and stock holders. In 1965 the CEO to worker salary ratio was about 20 times higher, today it is around 370 times higher. Reduce that n

Posted Images

Golf clothes cost what the market will bear, just like everything else, and people will pay a lot for apparel with their club's logo on it.

As expensive as they are, I don't run into a lot of wealthy club pros.  They don't seem to be gouging anybody.  They're just making a living.

• Like 1
Footjoy. They have everything 

You only have to look at my golf shoe rack or closet to see how much I like Footjoy, except for their socks. I bought several pair of their 'tech' socks and my big toe was through the socks in a matter of a couple of weeks. Based on an earlier recommendation on this thread I bought Bombas - they are definitely superior to any socks I've had before and they're guaranteed for life. IMG_5352.thumb.JPG.bc691ff65af476cfb8449f620438735b.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

You can always find name brand golf clothes for good prices you just have to look.  The other day bought a 75$ msrp callaway shirt at Sams club for 20$.  You can also get great deals on Ebay!  Shoes, shirts, shorts, anything that you need.  If you just look hard enough you can get great deals on golf apparel.

I love Nike Hats and nike golf shirts. Shorts-wise I find callaway are super comfortable, look good and durable.  

If you look hard you can find cheat Nike, Adidas, Callaway and Cobra shirts at Ross and Marshalls as well for less than $25. 

I also like J Lindbergh and Travis Mathews but can never find them on sale.

• Like 1

It looks like my closet includes Nike, Under Armour, and Puma tops. I usually check the clearance rack or hit up the spring sale at the local golf retailer for last year's items. I'm currently using Foot Joy shoes from a clearance sale from an online retailer during autumn 2019 and I'm really digging them. Deals can be had if you search for them.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 460 9.5*

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 4-PW

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

On 4/4/2020 at 4:25 AM, bens197 said:

Bombas are awesome. You have a lifetime guarantee as well as buy 1 pair and they donate a pair to charity. I love their business model and their socks are super comfy. Above all, what’s better than this??

Adjustments.jpg

It's a great brend, I also love it

Edited by MarkAnally
  • Like 2

I am a Puma, Footjoy, Adidas guy when it comes to shirts. Like some have said, I’ll look into Peter Millar, but it’s gotta be the right shirt/setting to buy it. 

I can usually find Puma and Adidas at discounted prices. I just suck it up and buy Footjoy shirts. Love the way they fit. 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 3/26/2020 at 2:15 AM, haimen said:

I am looking for golf apparel of favorite brand for men, women & kids. There is a great number of Golf Apparel brands like Adidas, Puma, Under Armour and much more.  But I don't know, which one is the best. How one can get all this collection at best prices guaranteed! Guys please help me to give your best answers for my both questions.

1) What is a best brand of golf apparel? The lowest cost, clearance, on sale, or at Costco

2) Why are golf clothes so expensive? Because people pay for it and swallow the hype. 

3) How can I get coupon codes for shoes? I just buy them online once I try on a pair in the store.

What is a best brand of golf apparel? The lowest cost, clearance, on sale, or at Costco

2) Why are golf clothes so expensive? Because people pay for it and swallow the hype. 

3) How can I get coupon codes for shoes? I just buy them online once I try on a pair in the store.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 6:18 PM, tony@CIC said:

One piece of clothing no one has mentioned are socks. I have yet to find an ideal brand of low cut socks for a size 12 shoe . They're either too small or ride down on my heel. FJ's tech socks work if you don't mind a hole in the toe after a couple of weeks at the other end of the $$ spectrum are Hanes which also fit but look like rags after a few washings.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Check out Stance.  I probably have 30 pairs of their golf socks and they're great, and they last forever.

As far as the topic at hand goes...

I'm pretty big into fashion, so I don't really have any second thoughts about spending $70+ on a polo... I don't look at anybody sideways if they don't... 

But the brands I really enjoy are:

Shirts: Peter Millar, Vineyard Vines, Nike Adidas

Pants/ Shorts: Bonobos, Adidas, J Crew

Socks: Stance

Shoes: Adidas, Nike

Edited by Jwhite86

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (5-PW): Srixon 765 w/ KBS Tour C-Taper

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

It depends on your style and if you prefer name brands versus not so famous brands.  Unfortunately, I cannot see myself paying $75 for a golf shirt and a plain design at that just because there's a little swoosh on it.  I look for sales and discounted items from previous years because I don't mind wearing clothing from some years back.  I also shop at Costco and sometimes they carry decent golf apparel.  I walk about 99% of the time so I will splurge on comfortable golf shoes that fit my weird stubby wide feet 😞.  I look through RetailMeNot or Coupons.com for any coupons for discounts, but normally there isn't much for branded golf apparel unless it for free shipping.  Look and join the big box stores mailing list as they have sales and they mail you flyers with discounts going on. 

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 hybrid regular shaft 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2020 at 2:39 PM, chisag said:

... A pet peeve of mine is:

• Silicone gripper on inner waistband to prevent shirts from coming untucked

... and while that may be a feature appreciated by overweight golfers, those of us in good shape just get shorts that ride up our body on every swing. If golfers actually like this feature, I have no problem with Hagen and others offering it, but at least give us the option of not including it with our shorts. My own fault because I did not go to a store and try them on, but I bought 4 pair on sale when my Dicks Scorecard bonus was about to expire and they are all unwearable. 

Idk as an in shape guy myself, I really like the gripper feature. Otherwise I have to keep re tucking throughout the round which is annoying

Right Handed

Ping G410 LST 9 degree X flex ping tour shaft 75G

Ping G410 3 wood 14.5  X flex Evenflow black 85G

Taylormade Gapr low 19 degree X flex KBS hybrid 80G

Titleist 714 AP2 4-9 iron +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM6 46  +.5 length 1 degree upright Dynamic gold S 300

Vokey SM5 50, 54,  +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM5 58  +.5 length 1 degree upright S high rev 125G

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

Golf shirts are expensive partially due to the Tech, but mainly just because manufacturers can get away with the mark up to golf consumers.

I mean golf specific stretch, water resistant, breathable pants will run say $40-50 from nike yet i can buy Gap fit chinos that have all those features for $20 on sale. Likewise a performance golf polo is $45 to 70 while I can buy a uniqlo stretch moisture wicking one for like $20?

They will charge what consumers will pay and golfers have proven they will pay an arm and a leg 

Right Handed

Ping G410 LST 9 degree X flex ping tour shaft 75G

Ping G410 3 wood 14.5  X flex Evenflow black 85G

Taylormade Gapr low 19 degree X flex KBS hybrid 80G

Titleist 714 AP2 4-9 iron +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM6 46  +.5 length 1 degree upright Dynamic gold S 300

Vokey SM5 50, 54,  +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM5 58  +.5 length 1 degree upright S high rev 125G

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

I spent a long time working in the outdoor industry (managing a retail store in Salt Lake City specializing in Ski/Snowboard and hiking gear) and have to say that the bulk of golf gear is about the same price as general outdoor gear.  The first, most important, and last thing EVERYONE needs to know is COTTON KILLS!!! If you play golf on days where it is sunny or rainy or cold or humid or windy you should absolutely not EVER wear cotton.  PLEASE remember this.  Forever.  

Wool and synthetics breathe, regulate temperatures and are more water resistant than cotton.  Whatever you do do NOT buy wool polo, pants, socks, etc for outdoor activities.  Once you've established that as a baseline, price/value is what you want it to be.  I personally buy all of my clothes on closeout/discount/end of year, etc... Fairwaystyles.com is a great resource for high end closeout gear.  

In terms of favorite brands I have a few:

Polos: Greyson.  They're the best.  Wicked stylish.  Incredibly comfortable and breathable.  They do run a touch large, but fit perfectly.  Their original sticker prices are crazy high, but they mark them down really fast and end up being reasonable a couple seasons down the road.  Couldn't recommend the product more.  

Pants/Shorts: Dunning.  I am truly blown away by how good these products are.  They are incredibly flexible.  Don't have that terrible swishing sounds that lots of synthetic pants do and are really comfortable.  Again, a brand that is expensive on face value but you can always find great deals (snagged mine on a 40% clearance event). Tons of colors and to be honest, they're great for any outdoor activity (in Vermont we tend to get all 4 seasons in a single day so waterproof/breathable pants that look good in a bar go a looooong way). 

Socks: Stance.  I am flat in love with Stance socks. The Nicklaus stuff is soooooo nice.  Incredibly comfortable and breathable for 18 holes in the mountains and always stylish.  The Caddyshack socks are pretty sick too.  

Fleece/Wool Layers: Patagonia.  No golf brand can contend with Patagucci.  Their layering is the best on the market, period.  Don't bother spending tons of money on cool kid golf brands here.  Go to your local Patagonia outlet.  Or hit up their sale section of the website.  Or wait until their semi annual sales.  Again, they discount their highest end gear ALLLLL the time.  Whether it's the R1/R2 fleece or the Nano Puff/Air vest, this the only layering you need for Vermont in the spring and fall and I promise if it works here, it works EVERYWHERE.

Again, this is an area of personal expertise so I'm happy to answer any questions!

Edited by VTSoxFan
  • Like 1

Ping G @ 9.5

TaylorMade V Steel 3 Wood 

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW, Project X LZ 5.5

Vokey SM7 54.10, 60.12

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• 3 weeks later...

@VTSoxFan Thanks for writing such a detailed response. I knew we were similar in our fit preference with your Dunning recommendation. I keep coming back to their shorts and pants even after getting other brands. Can't recommend enough. 

I just bought two G/Fore polos during their half price sale and I like their fit a lot. I'll have to get a Greyson polo as well to try it out. I'll have to try Stance socks as well. 

On 6/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, VTSoxFan said:

I spent a long time working in the outdoor industry (managing a retail store in Salt Lake City specializing in Ski/Snowboard and hiking gear) and have to say that the bulk of golf gear is about the same price as general outdoor gear.  The first, most important, and last thing EVERYONE needs to know is COTTON KILLS!!! If you play golf on days where it is sunny or rainy or cold or humid or windy you should absolutely not EVER wear cotton.  PLEASE remember this.  Forever.  

Wool and synthetics breathe, regulate temperatures and are more water resistant than cotton.  Whatever you do do NOT buy wool polo, pants, socks, etc for outdoor activities.  Once you've established that as a baseline, price/value is what you want it to be.  I personally buy all of my clothes on closeout/discount/end of year, etc... Fairwaystyles.com is a great resource for high end closeout gear.  

Polos: Greyson.  They're the best.  Wicked stylish.  Incredibly comfortable and breathable.  They do run a touch large, but fit perfectly.  Their original sticker prices are crazy high, but they mark them down really fast and end up being reasonable a couple seasons down the road.  Couldn't recommend the product more.  

Pants/Shorts: Dunning.  I am truly blown away by how good these products are.  They are incredibly flexible.  Don't have that terrible swishing sounds that lots of synthetic pants do and are really comfortable.  Again, a brand that is expensive on face value but you can always find great deals (snagged mine on a 40% clearance event). Tons of colors and to be honest, they're great for any outdoor activity (in Vermont we tend to get all 4 seasons in a single day so waterproof/breathable pants that look good in a bar go a looooong way). 

Socks: Stance.  I am flat in love with Stance socks. The Nicklaus stuff is soooooo nice.  Incredibly comfortable and breathable for 18 holes in the mountains and always stylish.  The Caddyshack socks are pretty sick too.  

Fleece/Wool Layers: Patagonia.  No golf brand can contend with Patagucci.  Their layering is the best on the market, period.  Don't bother spending tons of money on cool kid golf brands here.  Go to your local Patagonia outlet.  Or hit up their sale section of the website.  Or wait until their semi annual sales.  Again, they discount their highest end gear ALLLLL the time.  Whether it's the R1/R2 fleece or the Nano Puff/Air vest, this the only layering you need for Vermont in the spring and fall and I promise if it works here, it works EVERYWHERE.

Again, this is an area of personal expertise so I'm happy to answer any questions!

I don't find that Greyson runs large compared to some of the other golf brands. To me, they are a bit tapered, so its more of an athletic/slim fit in the waist. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

On 6/27/2020 at 6:25 PM, VTSoxFan said:

25 minutes ago, Rushigan said:

@VTSoxFan Thanks for writing such a detailed response. I knew we were similar in our fit preference with your Dunning recommendation. I keep coming back to their shorts and pants even after getting other brands. Can't recommend enough. 

I just bought two G/Fore polos during their half price sale and I like their fit a lot. I'll have to get a Greyson polo as well to try it out. I'll have to try Stance socks as well. 

I have been wanting to give Dunning a shot for a while, but haven’t brought myself to pull the trigger yet. Do either of you have experience with their polos? 

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

On 3/26/2020 at 2:15 AM, haimen said:

I am looking for golf apparel of favorite brand for men, women & kids. There is a great number of Golf Apparel brands like Adidas, Puma, Under Armour and much more.  But I don't know, which one is the best. How one can get all this collection at best prices guaranteed! Guys please help me to give your best answers for my both questions.

1) What is a best brand of golf apparel?

2) Why are golf clothes so expensive?

3) How can I get coupon codes for shoes?

1) I guess thats up to you, I prefer wicking materials and i'm not brand loyal.

2) That's a very good question. My personal belief is that its a niche market and usually targeted at the higher end income person. Usually golfers like to have the bestest nicest stuff and clothing isn't an exemption. 

3) Download the "honey" app for your computer it automatically applies the cupons it finds.

4) Just my 2 cents shop at used clothes stores (thrift stores). I usually stop in once a week and see what on the shelf. Everything in my closet is from a thrift shop and bought new with tags still on for less that 1/4 of the retail price.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

1 hour ago, JohnSmalls said:

I have been wanting to give Dunning a shot for a while, but haven’t brought myself to pull the trigger yet. Do either of you have experience with their polos? 

Dunning are comfortable and great on/off course option. I don’t wear their stuff in the heat and humidity of DC area. I have a couple and save them for spring and fall golf but are in my rotation for work when I’m in the office 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1