Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

TaylorMade Driving Relief With Rory/DJ vs Rickie and Matt Wolff

Golfspy_CG2

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I think Seminole is probably one of those places that can only be truly appreciated in person.  We can see the defining characteristics of whispy brownish grass and large sand dunes at places like St. Andrews, Whistling Straits and Pinehurst on TV.  Seminole appears to be much more subtle in its defining characteristics.  I also feel like the time of year in south Florida aided in the browned out look.  If this were played in the winter, it would likely "popped" more on TV because the fairways and greens would have been much more green.

Sure, that makes sense. I am simply talking layout. Not necessarily conditions. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Wasn't able to catch it live, but watched some highlights and looked like fun. Didn't realize how long of a hitter Wolff was.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

53 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

Sure, that makes sense. I am simply talking layout. Not necessarily conditions. 

I completely understand your point of view.  I feel that layout and conditions aren't mutually exclusive.  I was directing my comment mainly toward the Twitter backlash yesterday afternoon.

I think "layout" is subjective like feel when hitting a golf ball.  What we interpret as feel is much more a product of sound.  Likewise, what we see in terms of layout is based on the majority of our experiences i.e. wall to wall green.  I suspect we are conditioned to think the "browned-out" look is somehow inferior.  I believe that's largely why Erin Hills, Chambers Bay and Trinity Forest weren't as well received as other venues.   

I grew up playing in and around the Pinehurst area.  Brown is what golf looks like to me.  But I feel like that puts me in the minority.  Any way you slice it, I would love to play Seminole sometime.

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I completely understand your point of view.  I feel that layout and conditions aren't mutually exclusive.  I was directing my comment mainly toward the Twitter backlash yesterday afternoon.

I think "layout" is subjective like feel when hitting a golf ball.  What we interpret as feel is much more a product of sound.  Likewise, what we see in terms of layout is based on the majority of our experiences i.e. wall to wall green.  I suspect we are conditioned to think the "browned-out" look is somehow inferior.  I believe that's largely why Erin Hills, Chambers Bay and Trinity Forest weren't as well received as other venues.   

I grew up playing in and around the Pinehurst area.  Brown is what golf looks like to me.  But I feel like that puts me in the minority.  Any way you slice it, I would love to play Seminole sometime.

I didnt mind the brown. I play 95% of my golf in the high desert. Brown is my life. I get somewhat tired of seeing the over manicured, contrived and fake optics of the pga venues at time. The masters being the biggest culprit. With dyed grass, fake, bird sounds, trucked in load after load of pine straw etc. It simply cannot be seen by the world as being anything less than perfect. So it becomes artificial. 

You are absolutely correct. I would not stall for one second at the chance to play Seminole, even if from where I sit currently I am not sure I understand the esteem it gets. 

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 hour ago, 808nation said:

Wasn't able to catch it live, but watched some highlights and looked like fun. Didn't realize how long of a hitter Wolff was.

Yeah, he was pretty legendary in college and the AM ranks for his distance.   I was glad to see him settled down after a bit of a rocky start. 

I'm sure it's somewhere if you dig deep enough, but I'd love to see the actual scores each player shot. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'm sure it's somewhere if you dig deep enough, but I'd love to see the actual scores each player shot. 

McIlroy = 70 (-2) - Finished with 4 birdies and a double.
DJ = 76 (+4) - Finished with 2 birdies, 2 bogeys and 2 doubles.
Fowler = 67 (-5) - Finished with 7 birdies and 2 bogies.
Wolff = 71 (-1) - Finished with 3 birdies and 2 bogies.

1 hour ago, 808nation said:

The announcers mentioned that if the PGA had a draft like the NBA, he would have been Zion....    Great college record!

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

It was definitely great seeing live golf on TV.   Come on Masters!

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

3 minutes ago, Shodags said:

The announcers mentioned that if the PGA had a draft like the NBA, he would have been Zion....    Great college record!

So what you're telling us is, Oklahoma State is throwing wads of cash at the best junior golfers in the world and giving their parents homes and jobs?  😉🤣 

16 minutes ago, Shodags said:

He is a great player. For the PGA though, I feel his game has some holes he needs to plug to become a major star. Specifically around the short game. 

29 minutes ago, sixcat said:

McIlroy = 70 (-2) - Finished with 4 birdies and a double.
DJ = 76 (+4) - Finished with 2 birdies, 2 bogeys and 2 doubles.
Fowler = 67 (-5) - Finished with 7 birdies and 2 bogies.
Wolff = 71 (-1) - Finished with 3 birdies and 2 bogies.

Thanks For that, I knew DJ struggled, but had no idea it was that bad...ha 

Rickie was on fire on the back nine. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So what you're telling us is, Oklahoma State is throwing wads of cash at the best junior golfers in the world and giving their parents homes and jobs?   

Officially, No.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

Officially, No. emoji3.png

This is really not news is it? I feel like we have all but accepted that kids and families are getting paid to play college sports. Thats why i think it is comical that there is this big push to pay student athletes. 

As a college athlete I saw what is available to them. I was a wrestler so not much came my way but the football players and basketball players.. Yeah, they were well taken care of. At a school known for its golf program, I am sure there is money being passed around. 

I played but recorded the event and watched Sunday evening - enjoyed it and loved seeing a course that’s been a hush hush one as long as I could remember - too bad the East Coast didn’t have our weather - they were getting rain when we weren’t - it was fast, firm and windy day, that would have been more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 5/18/2020 at 10:44 AM, Quigleyd said:

He is a great player. For the PGA though, I feel his game has some holes he needs to plug to become a major star. Specifically around the short game. 

I was watching another TaylorMade video where they were playing golf limbo with stingers. It looked like Matt Wolf didn't have that shot in his bag. Is he a shot shaper at all? Not implying that makes him a worse player. I was just wondering.

17 hours ago, thatjasonlee said:

I was watching another TaylorMade video where they were playing golf limbo with stingers. It looked like Matt Wolf didn't have that shot in his bag. Is he a shot shaper at all? Not implying that makes him a worse player. I was just wondering.

I am not sure. I think he pretty much just hits that high bomb fade. I am sure he can work it some, but I think is unique motion limits him in that area some, As well as overall touch. It just seems hard to have touch with that kind of swing. He is a very high level ball striker though.

It is interesting when you look at some of these young guys just hitting the tour. They are all amazing ball strikers, but tend to lack imagination and short game. After Hovland won in Puerto Rico he even said "my short game sucks". Shortly there after started working with a short game specific coach. 

His short game was extremely one dimensional. As long as they can swing away, these guys can light up courses. When it gets tricky I think they lack the imagination of tool box of golfers from 10 years ago.. It could be largely due to the overall distance these guys hit the ball. 

They have all shown they can win though.

On 5/21/2020 at 7:37 AM, Quigleyd said:

I am not sure. I think he pretty much just hits that high bomb fade. I am sure he can work it some, but I think is unique motion limits him in that area some, As well as overall touch. It just seems hard to have touch with that kind of swing. He is a very high level ball striker though.

It is interesting when you look at some of these young guys just hitting the tour. They are all amazing ball strikers, but tend to lack imagination and short game. After Hovland won in Puerto Rico he even said "my short game sucks". Shortly there after started working with a short game specific coach. 

His short game was extremely one dimensional. As long as they can swing away, these guys can light up courses. When it gets tricky I think they lack the imagination of tool box of golfers from 10 years ago.. It could be largely due to the overall distance these guys hit the ball. 

They have all shown they can win though.

What I find a little sad is the missed opportunity with shot tracers now. Back in the day, when you had player shaping long irons into the green, that would've been great to watch with shot tracers, but the tech was not available. Now, you get to see the shape of that drive, but not as fun when the second shots are mostly short irons and wedges. My own opinion, I really think that shot tracer made golf so much more enjoyable to watch.