Putter face MILLING

Our Sponsors

Hi everybody!

I'm new to the forum. I have searched answers for this and found nothing so I decided to ask the community.

I'm currently designing a golf club which I will be manufacturing outside the country. I don't have access to machines so it is a bit difficult for me to figure out some things.

My problem is figuring out the speed of the milling machine to get a uniform  milling pattern like modern scotty cameron does.

I guess i'm going for a 0.15mm depth with a 1 1/4", but I'm missing the RPM and the speed of the machine to get a pattern like this. Does anybody know something about this? or some software to figure it out?

Thanks guys!!

2020_A048106_20sstmttnp25sss_015060_main2-3602.jpg.ea55174949233ec14dbf961f776d5515.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I think you will probably have to just do some trial and error unfortunately. I've watched several machinist on YouTube and you might be able to find some good ones that dive into knurling because that is essentially what you are doing but on a flat surface. I think if you discussed what you want with your milling shop they should probably be able to figure something out for you as surface finishes aren't rocket science. Maybe you can send them some pictures and ask them to run a few trials on scrap steel to see if you like the finish. Face milling won't really change the putters performance except for maybe a very minor change in feel so a little variation from what you want exactly may not be a big issue. Feel free to update us if you actually get a putter made. We would be curious to see how it comes out 🙂

• Like 1
On 11/11/2020 at 1:27 PM, Kansas King said:

Feel free to update us if you actually get a putter made. We would be curious to see how it comes out 🙂

And, of course, if you're looking for testers, I bet you could find some here 😉

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
50*, 54*, 60* :vokey-small: SM7 TT DG S200
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1/x laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

I VOLUNTEER AS TESTING TRIBUTE!

Edited by MNUte
I can't spell.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.

Ill gladly test as well!

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro 2.0 TS7 at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

I’ve been out of the business for too many years but see if you can find a “Machinery Handbook” somewhere or information on line for speed & feeds. Hope you can find info there.
What neck are you trying to attain, plumbers neck or Rincon?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Well ya'll know I'm from Tennessee. (The volunteer state).  I'll test one for you. I was a machinist many moons ago and still have a machinery handbook. If you need any more info on speeds and feeds for milling let me know. But I see you figured it out. Looks good.

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:cleveland-small: Wedges, CBX 56* & 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"