Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

“Heads Up” Putting?

I've been using this method for 10 plus years (pre-Jordan).  it has helped quite a bit with distance control and a little with direction compared to my previous method(s).  I think it helps with longer putts more than the 3 footers.  hitting it fat does happen infrequently and this method doesn't work at all when the collar of the green impacts your backswing.   Not so good from a heavier fringe either.

when my putting is on I can be in the 1.5-1.75 putts per hole.   green reading has always been my downfall.

i believe that looking at the hole makes your brain subconsciously make minor adjustments to your putter face.  obviously something we need a large government grant to study in detail.

how many free throws can you make without looking at the basket?

but as my pro (at the pro shop) said when I asked about changing the grip on my putter to help me.  your grip is fine, practice more 5 & 8 footers.  any method will work but you need to practice  (1/3 of all strokes)

On 9/8/2021 at 10:16 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

If you haven’t listened to it yet, go check out the latest Hack it Out Golf podcast.  ALWAYS full of great content  with Mark Crossfield, Scott Fawcett, and Lou Stagner, but the latest edition (#50) includes Sasho McKenzie and is probably the best one yet.

Anyway, about 30-35 minutes in the discussion steered towards a previous lecture/video Sasho had given concerning “heads up” putting, which basically means looking at your target as you putt rather than the ball.  He gave a number of compelling insights into why it MIGHT be a better putting method for some…has anyone tried this?  And I don’t mean rolled 10 putts in your basement, I mean has anyone taken this to the course and given this method an honest trial?

I’d be very interested in anyone’s thoughts on this.  

And, by the way, if you don’t subscribe to Hack It Out, you are truly missing out…

I've had several of my players who struggle lag putting try heads up putting.  So far so good.  I've tried it in my own game with some success.  Some days are better than others, but some are abysmal.  Need more time devoted to practicing it.  Makes all the logical sense in the world though. 

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

A bit late to this party, but haven't gotten on the forum for awhile.  Been using heads up since I discovered L.A.B. Golf putters a little over 2 years ago.  The high MOI of the DF 2.1 makes hitting to the toe or heel side a moot point as far as the ball getting to the hole.  Their tech to eliminate torque helps me get the ball rolling on my intended line, then it is only a matter of whether I've read the line correctly.   Heads up gives me SO MUCH better distance control !

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- but a bit less so with my recent change from a PING driver

:titelist-small: - TSi2 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Raw Blue 55 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL and Tracked by :ShotScope: - V3

Hallo Peeps!

Been putting heads up for the past two seasons and having great results from that. I have become much consistent especially with length control.

For close to 30 years I tried to attain a "true tour pendulum stroke"  - with limited success 🤐. My coach gave a drill to look at the hole and I ended implementing that drill in my game.

My guess is, that it is purely a mental thing for me, as I tend to extremely / unhealthy focus on technique rather than feel. This as given me a freedom from that, and I love that. 

Is it for everyone? - don't know but it works for me 😄

WITB:

:titelist-small:                   TS2 10.5° (Ventus Velocore Blue 6X 45")

:taylormade-small:            M6 18° (Tensei CK Blue 75-X)

:callaway-small:                    Mavrik 21° (Hzrdus Black Smoke 70 6.0) or

:titelist-small:                        TSi2 Hybrid (Ventus HB Blue 8x)

:titelist-small:                        T100 4-PW (TT Dynamic Gold 105 X, SS)

:ping-small:                  Glide Forged 50° (TT Dynamic Gold TI X-100, SS)

:cleveland-small:                  Zipcore Black Satin 54° & 58° Mid Bounce (TT Spinner)

:odyssey-small:         Toulon Design Portland 34"

:titelist-small:                   Pro V1x - marked #AAO

I have tried heads up putting, usually when I’m going through a spell of not starting the ball on line well. I find it is very helpful on putts under twenty feet where the stroke is typically shorter. I have some issues with speed control when I get to the 30-50 foot putts. Sometimes I knock them dead and sometimes six feet short or long. The line is usually good at all lengths. 
Many times I use a mixture of heads up for shorter putts and traditional for longer ones.

I have a tendency to watch  the putter head on my backstroke and it kills my ability to start the ball on the correct line. Heads up seems to free my stroke up by keeping my head still. 

There is a very good book on heads up putting called "Instinct Putting Revisited" by Bob Christina, Cary Heath, and 

Eric Alpenfels and only 121 pages long.  It also has drills and charts.  Throughout the book it is called "IP".  It also mentions of some PGA Professionals that have used the "IP" system in tournaments such as Spieth, Garica, Oostheizen, Miller, Floyd, Thorpe, and others.  Some do it while practicing on the putting green before a round.  I have tried it with success and amazed that putts longer than 20 feet get closer to the hole this way.  I have overcome the fear of the ball and clubhead and also my mind is relaxed and my body is trusted to do the stroke.  It does not feel natural or comfortable in the beginning and it does help with the "yips".

Been doing "heads-up" for all putts over 10 feet for about 2 years. It's superb for long lag putts and big breakers. I also do it for shorter putts with lot's of break. It's been crazy good. Of course, occasionally you stub your putter or miss on the toe.  I use a Scotty Futura 6m because of the long blade and I believe hugely important for this method, the high MOI.  I'm a higher handicap guy but would be much worse if my putting like this didn't save me.

Went back to conventional putting today for 9 holes and had a decent showing out there. I think the practice as well as increased focus on putting during the round led to some better results:

image.png.5ad0bfbc487be97cd6fa49f3aab10b1c.png

Only one truly bad putt which was on #6 where I pushed an uphill 4 footer. Otherwise, solid putting day. Only hit 4/9 greens though so I was probably losing shots off the tee and on approach which is funny since I was lamenting being such a bad putter. Looks like I can be bad almost anywhere in my game, haha. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

On 10/21/2021 at 9:45 AM, Ho Lee Khrab said:

Hallo Peeps!

Been putting heads up for the past two seasons and having great results from that. I have become much consistent especially with length control.

For close to 30 years I tried to attain a "true tour pendulum stroke"  - with limited success 🤐. My coach gave a drill to look at the hole and I ended implementing that drill in my game.

My guess is, that it is purely a mental thing for me, as I tend to extremely / unhealthy focus on technique rather than feel. This as given me a freedom from that, and I love that. 

Is it for everyone? - don't know but it works for me 😄

Always good to quote yourself 😂 ... but I just wanted to elaborate a bit on my process:

I pick a spot 1-2 ft in front of the ball to line the putter up, then focus moves to a spot on my starting line but hole high. Then it's just to swing towards that "distant" target and Mr Newton should take care of the rest 😄

WITB:

:titelist-small:                   TS2 10.5° (Ventus Velocore Blue 6X 45")

:taylormade-small:            M6 18° (Tensei CK Blue 75-X)

:callaway-small:                    Mavrik 21° (Hzrdus Black Smoke 70 6.0) or

:titelist-small:                        TSi2 Hybrid (Ventus HB Blue 8x)

:titelist-small:                        T100 4-PW (TT Dynamic Gold 105 X, SS)

:ping-small:                  Glide Forged 50° (TT Dynamic Gold TI X-100, SS)

:cleveland-small:                  Zipcore Black Satin 54° & 58° Mid Bounce (TT Spinner)

:odyssey-small:         Toulon Design Portland 34"

:titelist-small:                   Pro V1x - marked #AAO

• 4 weeks later...

Glad some of you are having success with HU putting.  I tried it and not feeling it like some of you.   When I bring my entire head up like how Crossfield does it it’s awkward and I tend to say why not do face on putting with my entire body at the hole like Sam Snead 

However when I just swivel my head toward the hole there Seems to be some benefits 
prevents me from peeking up to early 

especially good for slice breaking putts for my stroke 

Edited by Haro

Was having some problems with short putts today and practiced leaving the pin in and then what happened was I turn my head to look at the base of the pin and putted heads up and was making my short putts 

I not sure why it works but sometimes with short putts I miss and the pin helps as an addition aiming device so I release the putter to the base of the pin on days I cannot imagine the roll of the ball to my spot 

Edited by Haro