Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Fine Tuned Putters - any thoughts?

GolfSpy SAM

Last week I went for a putter fitting at a studio near me (in Ventura, CA).  They advertised that they had the Quintic system, and I figured for $99, I'd glean a ton of information, even if I didn't end up walking out with a new putter.

The fitting was pretty rad, all things considered (I have a tendency to aim left and push right, and to hit down on the ball a bit, producing backspin).  The fitter there had a whole set of fitting putters from a company named Fine Tuned (based out of New Zealand).  Their custom-fit putters, where each part is specific to the fitted person - so the face is milled with a specific loft (2.5 degrees, in my case), and the shaft connects directly to the frame where the face sits, so that the backs are all interchangeable, as are all the weights.  All told, it's SUPER cool, and ultimately, I was fitted into a (gorgeous) blacked-out bat-wing-style putter, at 335g head weight. Then the fitter told me the price:  $750. 

Holy hell. 

Now, if money weren't an object, I'd have bought it on the spot - it just suited my eye perfectly, the rolls I was getting out of it were nearly perfect - but man oh man.  

Does anyone have any experience with this company? I have no doubt my putting would improve with something dialed in SPECIFICALLY for me, but ... that's nearly as much as my entire set of (admittedly game-improvement) irons cost. 

Website here: https://www.finetuned.co/

Again, the thing was GORGEOUS, and it may well be worth saving up for, but....it's (more than) twice the price of a Scotty or the (newly-crowned-winner) Bat Attack.  Granted, those aren't built around me, I'd have to fit myself to them, so...maybe that really is worth it.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw something out here to my fellow golf-nerds and see what the prevailing wisdom is.

Looking forward to your thoughts (and prayers, should I go through with it, lol).

-Swanny

SM1 Blackout.JPG

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I feel your pain here. I just pulled the trigger on a Toulon and that already felt extravagant. This is a Toulon plus an Odyssey!

But a) how long might you keep this putter as your gamer? 5 years? More? and then b) how much is a new driver? and how long will you game it before upgrading?

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 hour ago, Jondough said:

I'd glean a ton of information, even if I didn't end up walking out with a new putter.

so the face is milled with a specific loft (2.5 degrees, in my case), 

I was fitted into a (gorgeous) blacked-out bat-wing-style putter, at 335g head weight. 

As you said,  you gathered the specs you needed for the putter.  You do not have to buy from the mentioned company but can work to find similar putters with matching specs.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You learned a lot from the fitting.  With some study via the net you'd be surprised at what you might learn about more affordable options that hit most of your needs.

Too, if  you tend to hang on to clubs for several years you'd get your money out of the putter you raved about.

I just did an Edel fitting, the good news being the putter is about half the price of what they want to charge you but after thinking about it I DID order the Edel, just waiting like an eight year old on December 23rd for the darn thing to arrive.

Keep us posted on what you decide?

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

4 hours ago, greggarner said:

But a) how long might you keep this putter as your gamer? 5 years? More? and then b) how much is a new driver? and how long will you game it before upgrading?

Presumably, it'd be one of the (if not THE) last putter I'd buy, partly because of the cost, partly because of the ability to change the back-end/hosel should In gravitate to a different look/feel. 

That being said, I don't see myself going this route, per most of what is mentioned in the below replies. 

Appreciate your feedback, and good luck on the Toulon!

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

2 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Trying not to be preachy here, but the most important consideration here isn't the putter, it's your budget. If you've got plenty of money and this will make you happy, or if you don't have other responsibilities and you want to save for it,do it. If you are trying to justify this in a tight budget where you tell your wife and kids that they can't have things all the time because you can't afford it, or you are already deep in debt because you buy things you can't afford all the time, then of course you shouldn't buy it. Only you know the answers to these questions. Being rich allows you to afford luxuries like this. If you are in the other situations I've described, show some maturity and pass on an unnecessary and exorbitant expense. 

Not preachy in the least - it's one of the main factors. I have a "golf budget" I've set for myself, which is about $150/month, and which covers all range sessions/tee times, which leaves very little left over. (Cheapest tee time is about $40, so... It's usually exactly enough for four tee times)

I KNOW it's an exorbitant amount of money - to me the question was more one of whether or not anyone had any experience with the company, and/or whether anyone had splurged on something like this. 

Appreciate your honesty and feedback. 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

3 hours ago, Bobbers said:

You learned a lot from the fitting.  With some study via the net you'd be surprised at what you might learn about more affordable options that hit most of your needs.

Too, if  you tend to hang on to clubs for several years you'd get your money out of the putter you raved about.

I just did an Edel fitting, the good news being the putter is about half the price of what they want to charge you but after thinking about it I DID order the Edel, just waiting like an eight year old on December 23rd for the darn thing to arrive.

Keep us posted on what you decide?

Will do. I'm already on the lookout for a lightweight mallet with a similar address profile. Gravitating toward the PXG Bat-thing (blanking on the name), or even the Cleveland Soft 11 (certainly the price is attractive). Heading to Roger Dunn on Friday to test some options out. 

And definitely let us know about the Edel!

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

8 hours ago, Jondough said:

Will do. I'm already on the lookout for a lightweight mallet with a similar address profile. Gravitating toward the PXG Bat-thing (blanking on the name), or even the Cleveland Soft 11 (certainly the price is attractive). Heading to Roger Dunn on Friday to test some options out. 

And definitely let us know about the Edel!

The Cleveland "Soft" models have a really, really nice feel.  Another one to look at is the Cobra "Vintage" model that has that "fang" look to it, might be called the Nova?  Nice, lighter putter that has the added advantage of the SIK face which is not to be underestimated, in my opinion, when it comes to adding consistency.  And much more affordable.  The Cobra Vintage Stingray, kind of their Spider model, got really good marks in the MGS best mallet putters review recently and might also be worth giving a roll.  Good luck.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

1 hour ago, Bobbers said:

The Cleveland "Soft" models have a really, really nice feel.  Another one to look at is the Cobra "Vintage" model that has that "fang" look to it, might be called the Nova?  Nice, lighter putter that has the added advantage of the SIK face which is not to be underestimated, in my opinion, when it comes to adding consistency.  And much more affordable.  The Cobra Vintage Stingray, kind of their Spider model, got really good marks in the MGS best mallet putters review recently and might also be worth giving a roll.  Good luck.

Couldn't agree more - the Nova and Stingray are on my list, for sure, specifically because of the SIK face, as I (as discovered in the fitting) have a tendency to have a descending blow. Also, they're just beautiful putters. 😉

I'll let you know which way I end up

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

Went into a Roger Dunn Golf on Friday and gave a bunch of similar-looking/styles a swing for a few hours and have narrowed down the list substantially.

Current front-runner is the Ping Tyne 4 (2021 model) - absolutely stunned at how soft the ball felt coming off the face. My alignment was pretty much the best of any that I tried - the only reason I didn't just get it was that it had a plumber's neck, not the face-balanced setup I'm looking for.  Absolutely incredible roll, though.

Also really enjoyed the Cobra Vintage Stingray with the Sik face - awesome roll, loved the grip, and actually preferred the look of this to the Nova version I was originally drawn to in looking online.  Definitely considering, especially because I have a tendency to have a downward attack angle (which the Sik face would assist with).

I LOVED the look of the Cleveland Frontline Elevado/Huntington Beach 11 - very similar to the Tyne 4, but the feel was substantially louder/harsher than the Ping - not bad at all, and for (approx) 1/2 the price, I'd for sure consider it.  These were really similar to my eye - if they felt even close to the Ping, I think I might go that way, but ... I think I got spoiled after hitting that Ping.

I've never had a putter with that soft a face - anyone have any experience with soft-faced inserts?  I don't see myself willing to pay the $200-ish price increase to try the new PLD Tyne that was just announced/released - and also not sure if the face would be firmer (considering it's not an insert), but the price barrier alone makes me think I may have found it with the Tyne 4.

Anyone with any guidance either way?

(Ping:  https://www.tgw.com/golf-clubs/putters/ping-mens-2021-tyne-c-putter
Cobra: https://www.tgw.com/golf-clubs/putters/cobra-king-vintage-stingray-putter
Cleveland Soft: https://www.tgw.com/golf-clubs/putters/cleveland-mens-hb-soft-premier-11-single-bend-putter?CID=PLA&SITE_ID=A2004&gclid=CjwKCAjwoduRBhA4EiwACL5RP1PvKEPyJzjMJHBAGmQHZo0vH5Jp-_zHqL9WCHwPeap0dGjTmtX1uhoCMYQQAvD_BwE&testvar=testgroup
Cleveland Frontline: https://www.tgw.com/golf-clubs/putters/cleveland-frontline-elevado-plumbers-neck-putter?CID=PLA&SITE_ID=A2004&gclid=CjwKCAjwoduRBhA4EiwACL5RPyPCo4zK5e_sVf8UBisybiXOYPWQH_BNv10h6cNthx55b_duo0V6bhoCoT4QAvD_BwE&testvar=testgroup)

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

On 3/20/2022 at 4:08 PM, Jondough said:

Went into a Roger Dunn Golf on Friday and gave a bunch of similar-looking/styles a swing for a few hours and have narrowed down the list substantially.

Current front-runner is the Ping Tyne 4 (2021 model) - absolutely stunned at how soft the ball felt coming off the face. My alignment was pretty much the best of any that I tried - the only reason I didn't just get it was that it had a plumber's neck, not the face-balanced setup I'm looking for.  Absolutely incredible roll, though.

Also really enjoyed the Cobra Vintage Stingray with the Sik face - awesome roll, loved the grip, and actually preferred the look of this to the Nova version I was originally drawn to in looking online.  Definitely considering, especially because I have a tendency to have a downward attack angle (which the Sik face would assist with).

I LOVED the look of the Cleveland Frontline Elevado/Huntington Beach 11 - very similar to the Tyne 4, but the feel was substantially louder/harsher than the Ping - not bad at all, and for (approx) 1/2 the price, I'd for sure consider it.  These were really similar to my eye - if they felt even close to the Ping, I think I might go that way, but ... I think I got spoiled after hitting that Ping.

I've never had a putter with that soft a face - anyone have any experience with soft-faced inserts?  I don't see myself willing to pay the $200-ish price increase to try the new PLD Tyne that was just announced/released - and also not sure if the face would be firmer (considering it's not an insert), but the price barrier alone makes me think I may have found it with the Tyne 4.

Anyone with any guidance either way?

(Ping:  https://www.tgw.com/golf-clubs/putters/ping-mens-2021-tyne-c-putter
Cobra: https://www.tgw.com/golf-clubs/putters/cobra-king-vintage-stingray-putter
Cleveland Soft: https://www.tgw.com/golf-clubs/putters/cleveland-mens-hb-soft-premier-11-single-bend-putter?CID=PLA&SITE_ID=A2004&gclid=CjwKCAjwoduRBhA4EiwACL5RP1PvKEPyJzjMJHBAGmQHZo0vH5Jp-_zHqL9WCHwPeap0dGjTmtX1uhoCMYQQAvD_BwE&testvar=testgroup
Cleveland Frontline: https://www.tgw.com/golf-clubs/putters/cleveland-frontline-elevado-plumbers-neck-putter?CID=PLA&SITE_ID=A2004&gclid=CjwKCAjwoduRBhA4EiwACL5RPyPCo4zK5e_sVf8UBisybiXOYPWQH_BNv10h6cNthx55b_duo0V6bhoCoT4QAvD_BwE&testvar=testgroup)

So I'll throw my $.2 in. I played the Cleveland HB Premier #4 for about 2 seasons so I'm at least familiar with the Cleveland line. Last year I was a very fortunate candidate for the MGS Edel EAS review test. 

Before the fitting, I was very skeptical that a $500 professionally fit putter would be any better than my $150 HB Premier that I just loved. 

Well I was very WRONG! 

The Edel fitting isn't just a fitting.. it's an overhaul. I not only was fit for MY putter but I also learned that my former putting stroke and putter were completely wrong for how my body is built. "Biomechanics" is a term that you'll hear quite a lot through the Edel process and they are able to build a putter from the grip to the head to match your body and how it's meant to swing a putter. You also learn the importance of counter balancing and total weight as opposed to just the weight of the head. 

Before I received my Edel putter, I thought that nothing on the floor could roll a ball better than My HB Premier. I had rolled just about everything on the floor and was really aiming to buy a $400 Toulon but just likes the Cleveland HB Premier #4 that much.

Well in my testing process, I was able to quantify with a slow motion cam that the Edel had 1 extra revolution on the Cleveland at about 3'. Pretty much anything inside 3', most putters are about equal. But after that, the ball rolling as true as you can get it to roll is going to play a huge part in distance control and consistency. Sure you might find a putter that you can hit down the intended line, but if you start to lose distance control because you're losing track of the face or a number of other reasons like the putter not being the right length and overall weight, that makes a huge difference in the strokes you're hoping to gain with the putter. 

Not joking, after about 6 months with my Edel, I've improved a good 5+ strokes on the green alone. I'm draining way more 15-20 footers than I ever thought possible and anything within 10' is almost a guaranteed make. And anything that is missed is rarely short and usually within 2' past the hole. That's distance control on a whole other level! 

All if that I attribute to the perfectly fit Edel EAS and their system. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

When you get fit for a putter, just like irons, those fitting numbers apply to all clubs. If, for example, you're told 2.5° loft, 71° lie, 34.75" length, mid-size grip (whatever brand you like and feels good), then those numbers can be applied to ANY putter. Ping, Cameron, Odyssey, TM...ANY putter. The $100 was well spent. You now know your parameters, and take that information to any pro shop and order a putter you like, and can afford. Yes, $800 is a bit high! 

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I have been teaching golf for almost 50 years, and in the very beginning of this "club fitting" frenzy, I actually brought quite a few of my students, for personalized fittings.  What did I see?  Actually what I saw was NO SIGNIFICANT improvement in any of their golf swings, or their golf scores. 

My ultimate conclusion to any 'non-tour' golfer, is DO NOT waste your money on these fittings.  All that you'll end up with, is a huge bill. BTW: a Tour golfer would get fitted for free, anyways ... lol

Like they say ... "it's the Indian, not the arrow".  It couldn't be more clear than that expression.  So don't waste your money on these custom fitting, they're a huge waste of resources, and all of the so-called club fitters, are just "up selling you on these exotic shafts and clubs".

All you need to know about buying a putter, is what type of stroke do your produce, i.e. full-arc, half-arc, straight, etc.  Once you've figured that out, then you'll know what type of putter to purchase.  And I promise you, that it won't be a $750 dollar custom made over priced exotic tour type brand. As it is, the cost of so-called brand name putter has crept up to the $200-$300 dollar range. I make plenty of putts with my 20 year old Ping Beryllium Karsten TR B60. (I will say that you have to like the cosmetics of your putter, but that is entirely personal).

The putter helps, but your putting stroke is what really matters.  Just ask Ben Crenshaw, as he says (in the "Art of Putting"), putting is 90% feel, and the remaining 10%, is 100% feel ... lol.

Don't be fooled and charmed into a huge investment of time and resources, for an experience, that most likely with not significantly improve your golf.

Now I'm certain all of the golfers that have spent their cash on these custom fitting, will probably 'disagree' with my opinion (but it's an educated opinion), to rationalize and justify the expense of their own custom fitting.

Save your money, and just spend more time on the putting green!!!

Oz, has spoken ... lol

I've done much worse from a putter spending perspective and then there are guys who have spent 100x what i have spent on putters. I have seen guys in the Bettinardi group that have at least $100k worth of putters, as an example. 

i think if you define what your budget is upfront, you will find something that will work for you within that budget. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

46 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

When you get fit for a putter, just like irons, those fitting numbers apply to all clubs. If, for example, you're told 2.5° loft, 71° lie, 34.75" length, mid-size grip (whatever brand you like and feels good), then those numbers can be applied to ANY putter. Ping, Cameron, Odyssey, TM...ANY putter. The $100 was well spent. You now know your parameters, and take that information to any pro shop and order a putter you like, and can afford. Yes, $800 is a bit high! 

All good info, but without toe hang/flow it’s not enough to choose a putter. I’d want to know a lot more to buy - arc, rotation, weight, grip style, counterweight or not…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

You can order a Scotty to those specifications. I haven’t seen the price for the 2022 but $400 is “better” than $750. Odyssey and others can also be custom specified for well under $500. LA Gear (Bryson’s choice) is more like a full grand - but the variable loft face is unique.
Putters are uniquely individual. But the correctly fitted putter can be used (ask Tiger) for years. With rare exception a putter is used on every hole. Any reason to invest less in the right putter than in a driver?? 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

I just got fit for a putter this past weekend. I was fit on the SAM Puttlab machine but I think it's similar to the one you got fit on. The most important thing I came away with was the importance of loft. I've always had a slight forward press as a trigger and I've never been able to get rid of it. The camera showed that my effective loft at impact was +1 deg. almost all the time. The fitter said that would be fine on pure greens or astroturf ones, (I have a green in my backyard and I roll them great on it) , but on the poa annua I always putt on it wasn't enough. He gave me a putter with 6 degrees of loft and said don't change anything. Almost immediately I was rolling them really pure and I was starting the ball on my intended line. Sometimes when the greens were a little fuzzy the ball would jump off line, not anymore. My point is the $100 was well invested. As long as you don't have any crazy measurements, almost any putter can be adjusted to your specs by someone who knows what they are doing. Good luck!

I was in Scottsdale for a wedding and dropped in to the PXG store Did a putter fitting and wound up with a Bat Attack put together to the specs that were best suited to me It did not cost as much as the putter you described and my strokes gained putting have increased 3+ with the new putter

Jeffrey S. Young

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Bettinardi group

Oh man I had no idea about the crazy Betti sub-culture until I met my friend Josh. I can only admire it vicariously from a distance if I wish to keep my marriage intact. I can see how easy it could be to get sucked in and start signing over paychecks to Bettinardi for limited run head covers and putters. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

You look at any of the industry data and it will tell you that the putter is the least customized.  Applauding your effort here - whether you pull the trigger with your current fitter or another (I’ve had fantastic results with both PXG and Club Champion in the USA) - good on you for dialing it in!

10% Technique

10% Feel

80% in your head!!!!

Edited by MarcB11
More of the truth!

Driver -Sim Max 9* Ventus Red S or Callaway Rogue ST Max Tensei Blue Raw 55S

3 Wood - TSI2 Kurogage S

3/4 Hybrid - Srixon ZX

Irons - PXG 0311XP 5-6 -, PXG 0311P 7-GW MMT 80S

Wedges - Haywood 48 bent to 50, 56 bent to 54, 60 bent to 58 KBS Tour 90 steel

Putter - TM Spider Tour or Oddessy Big-T #5 (350g)

Being these are a new Zealand made product and have been accessible for a number of years now.

I had a fitting and purchased one whilst working in the golf industry in new zealand.

My thoughts are that for the $1100 nzd the putter was worth, it would have to be the best golf investment made.

Everyone is willing to spend $1000+ on driver's but the putter is the most crucial club in the bag.

Couldn't love my putter anymore than I do, has been a stable in the bag for 5 years now and is not getting replaced anytime.

My favorite low cost milled putter: Cleveland Golf Huntington Beach. The 11 is the batwing style you liked.

They can be customized for loft lie and even color! Starts at $180, and add like $20 to customize everything. Only big difference is the head weight is a little more. 

I personally game the Huntington Beach 8. Love it!!!

Adam “Schlacky”

Woods: Cobra F9/Callaway Rogue

Irons: Cobra F9

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Ping Anser 2

I got a putter fitting at Club Champion last year and learned about L. A. B. putters. They are custom made for your lie angle. The new Mezz-1 is similar to the putter you were recommended, but costs only $450 for a custom putter. If you ever use a lie balanced putter, you will never go back to one that is face balanced or toe hang.  

^^^ I wonder if any fitters throw LAB putters into a fitting? One of the guys I play with regularly swears by his LAB DF2.1 putter, but he doesn’t putt any better or worse than the rest of us - and he still misses some short putts like all of us. But one data point doesn’t prove anything. I couldn’t use on on looks alone.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

3 hours ago, Middler said:

^^^ I wonder if any fitters throw LAB putters into a fitting? One of the guys I play with regularly swears by his LAB DF2.1 putter, but he doesn’t putt any better or worse than the rest of us - and he still misses some short putts like all of us. But one data point doesn’t prove anything. I couldn’t use on on looks alone.

I have heard some do, just like some throw in Edel.   This is where the knowledge of the fitter takes over beyond what the device measuring the stroke tells them.  

I put a LAB putter in the bag last week and can’t say I putted any better than I normally do.  I did do extensive testing on my ExPutt simulator and found that my face angle control was better than my prior gamer.  I also find in easier to tell when I manipulate the face and push or pull putts.  How to measure improvement becomes the big question as it may not be quantified in a single round. Maybe it improves proximity to the hole reducing 3 putts, maybe their score ceiling drops a stroke or two with no change to their floor, maybe they make a couple of more putts from 10: feet and in.   What is better, to a the individual, with any club.    The 2.1 is definitely a different look, but their other two models are more “normal” looking.     

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

When it comes to making purchases, I have always said I can afford what I choose to afford.  I am retired and not a person of means.  Think about this, par on most courses is 72, and if we average two putts on every hole then half our strokes are with a putter, the one club we use the most.  That is where we can improve the most.......just sayin'!

NOTE:  my driver cost retail more than that with the shaft I have in it......seems most golfers go more for distance than improving their scoring......🤪 

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE