2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Stock Yardages

Hi everyone, for the first time in my golfing life I have down my average yardages for every club in the bag so hoping it makes a big difference. Just curious, is this something most people know about their own game?

IMG_0773.jpeg

Taylormade M6 driver 10 degree

adams 3 wood

callaway x forged irons

vokey sm6 wedges

scotty Cameron putter

I know mine.  They are much shorter than yours.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I have a general idea from shot tracking on post seasons, but actually not sure exactly the I'm at now.... TBD.

Curious, though, @Seanmiller - why do you feel you need to compare your yardages to vintage Tiger..?

I mean your distances look really good, but how does the comp with Tiger help you..?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Welcome to the forum! 

Definitely know mine, although with new wedge lofts I am doing some tweaking of lofts to get things in order and the proper gapping. 

The larger gaps you have, how do you manage those? Impressive distance!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

7 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

I have a general idea from shot tracking on post seasons, but actually not sure exactly the I'm at now.... TBD.

Curious, though, @Seanmiller - why do you feel you need to compare your yardages to vintage Tiger..?

I mean your distances look really good, but how does the comp with Tiger help you..?

It was just so I had a comparison with something, I’m quite sad like that. Further along on the spreadsheet I’ve got Dustin Johnson’s as well 😂 doesn’t help me in anyway really but I would like to get the distances closer I suppose

adams 3 wood

callaway x forged irons

vokey sm6 wedges

scotty Cameron putter

I have shotscope and started really tracking data last year. I've been playing long enough that I knew the carry on each club pretty close, but it helps seeing real data to back it up. Definitely a confidence booster when addressing a shot, knowing you have the right club for the conditions. Here is my performance avg, I'm 40 and have a short backswing...Screenshot_20240327_094816_ShotScope.jpg.f74f57d25089cc4a787cfe10df8252d8.jpg

Scott J

PXG Driver, AP2 irons, Cleveland wedges and Odyssey white ice 2.0

Welcome to the site!

I have to redo mine, but I have a cheat card on my bag with avg distances written down.  As I progress further with improving my swing and contact, they will change a bit.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Mine are my totals, I still need to work out the average carry. The club I play at has a trackman I can rent for an hour or 2 but when I went on it I was hitting it like a plum so there are so absolute shockers included so just need to take them out. Good distances though 👍

adams 3 wood

callaway x forged irons

vokey sm6 wedges

scotty Cameron putter

2 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Welcome to the site!

I have to redo mine, but I have a cheat card on my bag with avg distances written down.  As I progress further with improving my swing and contact, they will change a bit.

Thank you!

yeah I’m going to print mine out and have them somewhere on my bag or scorecard holder. I’m working of a few things as well but increase ball speed. Trying to go full Bryson mode haha

adams 3 wood

callaway x forged irons

vokey sm6 wedges

scotty Cameron putter

I know mine as a rough guide through my use of shot scope. These are likely to change though as I find as the weather improves the ball carries further

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik  4-AW,

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws MD5 50 and 56 wedges

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

IMG_5085.jpeg

4 hours ago, Seanmiller said:

Mine are my totals, I still need to work out the average carry. The club I play at has a trackman I can rent for an hour or 2 but when I went on it I was hitting it like a plum so there are so absolute shockers included so just need to take them out. Good distances though 👍

Driver is both carry and total,  but other clubs should be carry.    You should also understand your dispersion patterns for how long/short and left/right you hit the ball.  This helps with course management so you know where you should be aiming. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

Driver is both carry and total,  but other clubs should be carry.    You should also understand your dispersion patterns for how long/short and left/right you hit the ball.  This helps with course management so you know where you should be aiming. 

I’ve got a good idea on dispersion and my misses, most of my misses are to the right which I don’t really mind to be fair

adams 3 wood

callaway x forged irons

vokey sm6 wedges

scotty Cameron putter

Yep! I track my carry and total distance for each club. I also track carry and distance for clubs that I use for my chipping and pitching.  I also have a mental sense of my dispersion 

Edited by Hacker60521

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

I only know roughly how far I hit any club; not precise carry distance.  I am not that good to hit any club consistently the same distance.  

What I do know is how far I can’t hit a club.  Using GPS I know F, M, B distances, and when I know the back distance, I know what club will not go off the back; same goes for a layup shot… hit a club that I can’t get to the water even of I flush it.  I will usually shoot for middle of greens, knowing that mishits could still be on the front.  I will use the front number on some greens where there is no trouble short and I would rather chip than have long, downhill breaking putt if I don’t hit the number.  My strategy.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I only know roughly how far I hit any club; not precise carry distance.  I am not that good to hit any club consistently the same distance.  

What I do know is how far I can’t hit a club.  Using GPS I know F, M, B distances, and when I know the back distance, I know what club will not go off the back; same goes for a layup shot… hit a club that I can’t get to the water even of I flush it.  I will usually shoot for middle of greens, knowing that mishits could still be on the front.  I will use the front number on some greens where there is no trouble short and I would rather chip than have long, downhill breaking putt if I don’t hit the number.  My strategy.

@Kenny B I’m with you. On my approach shots I plan for middle of the green regardless of where the pin is located. Pretty much the same strategy as Jack Nicklaus. I’d rather have a long putt than not be on the green.  

Today taught me 2 things. 1, I need to get my butt to a trackman or top tracer range ! 2. Just when you think you know your clubs,  they do more (or less) of what you wanted them to do! 😆 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

I have been using Shot Scope for 2 years now and it really has helped me dial in my distances. I was frustrated with my distances ( or lack of ) as I get older, I’m 65 now, so I decided to find out my “real” distances. It has made a huge distance to my game. 
Based on the info I get from Shot Scope I have gone from hitting 35% of greens in 2021 to 54% overall after my winter vacation in Florida. 
I believe it is all attributed to knowing your distances for each club. My goal now is to get it up to 70%!!!!

Ping G425 LST Driver

Ping G425 3 Wood

Ping G425 19deg Hybrid

Ping G430 irons 5-P, 45, 50

Taylormade MG3 wedges 54, 58

Ping Ketch Putter 34”

28 minutes ago, Toji said:

What's the best way to figure out distances for each club. Is it just time and experience or tracking distances and getting the average 

@Toji use a Trackman or something similar to collect data and then average it. Personally, I think the more data the better since as amateurs our shots tend to vary a lot. That said, even if you took 10 shots with each club you’re looking at trying to hit 130 consistent shots. So do this over a few days. 

54 minutes ago, Toji said:

What's the best way to figure out distances for each club. Is it just time and experience or tracking distances and getting the average 

We have a top tracer range here that I use. I hit 10 shots with each club. Irons on one day, drivers and woods another day. Mark them down. Later I will go back and hit another 5 with each and take those down. I then use the long and short # for each club.

I have a plastic card clipped to my bag for easy reference. 

Like @Hacker60521 said, do this over a few days.

Take your time with each shot. Just hacking through a bucket of balls quickly is no good for you or your numbers

I’ve been playing for a long time. Started playing regularly when I was 18, and now at 72 I have engrained in my head the distances that I hit each of my irons, both max and minimum. With time I’ve learned how to use the clubs based not just on distance but also where I may want to leave the ball for my next shot, especially when going for the green is that “Hero” shot. It’s really important to know your clubs and how you can use them in different situations. In the last year I have learned how to hit a 3 or 4 wood punch shot from the rough that covers more distance than I would ever get with a 5 iron or hybrid. Yeah I used to have a 110mph swing but now I’m lucky if I can crank out 92mph. It’s really important to know your clubs and what they can do for you, it’s not all speed and muscle. But Seanmiller, those are some very impressive numbers. Keep up the good work. With those numbers I really expect your handicap to drop a point or 2 this year.

I work at a golf course and have unlimited access to the range and equipment, I might add that I use my balls to document the information, not the range balls ! (I only use the 9 wood in the winter months instead of my 5 iron)

IMG_1980.jpeg

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I play year round so I check my gaps 2-3 times a year. Usually it's my wedges that get out of sync so then I know grooves or loft/lie got out of whack a little. 

I have a Trackman membership so it makes it easy to do this. I have a couple sets of irons so it's fun to see what the differences are between sets. 

Screenshot2024-04-02071017.png.580738761e4232da8b808f424ed3e9a3.png

Interestingly enough this is Nelly's. I worked the LPGA this week in AZ and find most amateur men are comparable with the LPGA player's distances but nowhere near their game haha. I followed several groups during the week and they rarely miss a fairway and their short game is amazing. 

Screenshot2024-04-02065244.png.0afa6645a9d418506002dbb8896f1390.png

56 minutes ago, Hacker60521 said:

@Toji use a Trackman or something similar to collect data and then average it. Personally, I think the more data the better since as amateurs our shots tend to vary a lot. That said, even if you took 10 shots with each club you’re looking at trying to hit 130 consistent shots. So do this over a few days. 

I still do mine all in one day just for scheduling reasons but I hit 3-4 shots per club first, then go back and do more after hitting all the clubs. I do this 2-3 times a year so then I can average it out as well. 

A big thing that I see with first-timers doing this is they are trying to max out and go for distance. Once the excitement wears off and they go for accuracy then they also don't get as tired. 

Here's another aspect of gapping sessions that is valuable. It's not just the average distance but it's also tracking the accuracy of your individual clubs. Front to back, left to right, does one club have a more right or left bias?

During this fitting it was from my 5 iron on that would start to have a right bias. So I had the lie angle changed, adjusted weights in the woods and started working on my swing path more. 

Screenshot2024-04-02155036.png.da72964f96de243c4ae1031616641509.png

Then this gapping session just over a year later, the dispersion circles shifted. The swing changes were working but now to move those weights back to the toe side. 

Screenshot2024-04-021554402.png.a3c4ba28a21bac5859665dc70a124405.png