Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

How long do you play a ball before retiring it?

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

For me: if a scuff or blemish is "feelable," I figure it is also going to influence the ball's aerodynamics, probably in an unpredictable way. That ball is ready for retirement to the garage, to be beat to its final death as a practice ball.

Thanks for the feedback. That was my thought as well. If I can see the groove marks it’s probably going to spin differently. Looks like it’s time for retirement. 

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

5 minutes ago, aguybadatgolf said:

If I can see the groove marks it’s probably going to spin differently.

"Differently" might mean "better". Just a thought...

I've been getting better about not sending balls to a watery grave or to a new fate as Fido's chew toy at the condo along the 15th fairway. So I may have to rethink this. But historically I've never kept a ball in play long enough to be concerned about surface damage, except for the occasional cart path scuff or the violent collision with a pine tree. That violent collision usually sent me OB anyway. Might be time to review the current batch of gamers and see if any of them are ready for the practice bag. I did notice that the markings on one ball on Tuesday looked a bit worn, but I think that was the ball with which I narrowly missed the hole in one, so maybe it's not ready for retirement.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

It depends for me. I once had a ball last me 17 holes just to be lost in the only drain on the side of the fairway that should probably have had at least a cover on it. Most of the time it's about 4-5 holes and ball is lost.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

One round max per ball for me.  While they might be able to go longer, a scuffed/chipped ball bothers me so I eliminate that from my mindset as much as possible... even if that means going through more balls than needed.  Thus I have a ton of used balls so I'll either give them to my kid to play or I take them to practice chipping and bunker shots.   

Addicted to everything golf

2 hours ago, golfinnut said:

Until it retires itself either in the woods or in the water.  HA!  🤣

I’m with you on this one!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I'd say until the longest drive Par 5, when all of a sudden it decides to take a right hand turn at Albuquerque... HOWEVER, I've been managing to get at least a full 18-22 holes out of a ball before it gets to scuffed or goes bush walking...

2 hours ago, quod erat said:

I have been unlucky with mine. They all enjoy scuba diving or forest adventures so much that they choose early retirement. 

@Splatt can relate to this... he could land in a glass of water off the tee 🤣

It is actually rare that I have a ball last more than 20 or so holes. Just the nature of the courses we play. Lots of hazards and areas that cause grief and lost balls. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I don’t retire them. They either quit and hide out for someone else to use or commit suicidal by drowning. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Can't remember the last time I decided. They usually leave me first 😂

Taylormade 2016 M2 HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5

Callaway X Forged UI 18deg Xstiff

Titleist 718 AP1 4-PW, 48 deg D200 Stiff 2 Deg Upright

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2017

I dream of being able to retire a ball! 🤣

On the rare occasion I manage to keep hold of it for longer than 9 holes it likely wouldn’t be too much longer before I change it, but it does very much depend on the conditions and number of visits into bunkers.

as soon as a ball has a noticeable scuff I would usually change it. Likely I’ll then use it as a provisional ball.

WITB: Ping G430 Driver, G410 3-Wood, G410 5-Wood, G410 Hybrid, G410 Irons, Vokey SM8 Wedges & LAB Golf 2.1 Putter.

HCAP 12.5 - Member at Flixton Golf Club - Manchester, UK.

I normally don't need to retire them. They tend to run free into the wild.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

This past week I played a round where one hole had a stream flowing on the right side of the fairway. Two of the three of us hit reasonably straight and the third has a fair slice on his drive. All three of us aimed left and all three of us ended up in the water on the right. hard to explain unless it turns out water is magnetic for golf balls. Clearly, our balls had had enough of our feeble play. 

Titleist 915 D2 - Accra iW4 / Callaway Rogue ST 5FW / Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4 and 5 hybrids / Callaway Steelhead XR 5-PW / Ping Glide 4 50 and 56 / Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60 / Odyssey White Hot OG 7 / Mizuno RB566

For a tournament - new ball every 9 holes… note - a major scuff / launch OOB makes it costly lol… not worried about discolouration (e.g. off a tree which is common for me 😜) though… 

Non-tournament - use the balls from above, for practice / casual rounds / and finally into the practice ball bag for short game work etc…. 

I try to buy in bulk to reduce costs, e.g. in UK Titliest just about to launch there buy 3 get 4 dozen promotion… that makes life easier… 

WITB > Stealth 2 Driver > Mizuno STG 3 & 5 woods > Mizuno 243 Irons > Vokey SM9 Wedges (50,54,60)

I wish I could retire golf balls.

Sadly, I don't have old balls, as I am constantly losing them, so I only have new balls.

Generally, I might be lucky & have the same ball for say, three 18 hole rounds.

But, as I'm generally into trouble off the tee, as in, into the trees, I get scuffed balls a lot too, so three rounds is good for me

WITB.

Tour Edge e723 irons, 4-SW, c523 Driver

TaylorMade Sim 3 wood, 

Cobra King Vintage Stingray 2.0 Putter

I generally wait until I start seeing scuff marks and then I’ll switch out. I got a brand called Cut golf balls and I had to switch them out because they cracked and eventually split apart. But now I use Vice balls and they’re great and take a while to scuff up unless you hit the cart path a couple times. 

Steven Moss

HDCP:15

I have played 2-3 rounds with one not unless I get a blemish  on it , sometimes I change just because I’m not playing well and just for spite . But ,on average one ball per round, especially with the weather warming up .

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Lately I have been getting 3 - 4 rounds before “retiring” a ball. Love my Maxfli Tour/Tour S/Tour X balls.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Best I've done is about 3 1/2 rounds on a single ball but if I can feel a  blemish of any sort I'll retire it then to my range bag. Remember the MGS testing last year where a blemish can cost up to 40 yds. After reading that I now retire then sooner !

Ping G425 SGT Driver

Ping Rapture V2 4 wood

Ping Rapture V2 23 ° Hybrid

Ping G430 26 ° Hybrib

Ping G 6 to PW irons

Ping 50° & 54° Glide 2 Wedge

Square Strike Chipper

Sandy Andy Sand Wedge

Evnroll ER7CS Center Shaft putter