Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Elbows close

I'd be interested in hearing from some of you low handicappers about your elbows during the swing?  Bobby Jones advocated keeping the elbows close together. What are your thoughts?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I guess I qualify as a low handicap.   Honestly I don't think about my elbows during the swing,  but they are close to together during the swing.  It is probably due to my turning the right are under so the bend in my arm faces more up than left.   

What are you trying to accomplish?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is more about the consensus of good golfers concerning the elbows as a unit. I have an old dude at my course that is very consistent and he pretty much keeps those elbows snug.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

Looked at a couple of videos of my swing and I wouldn't say that they are snug.  You can take a look for yourself and judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vC6WHR8xvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfrzFJs_VMc

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Looked at a couple of videos of my swing and I wouldn't say that they are snug.  You can take a look for yourself and judge.

What a beautiful golf swing!  I LOVE your timing and free flowing release.

Cleveland

This is my feelings on the elbow thing:

To be honest, this ONE thing in Hogan's book, goofed me up for years. It is physically impossible for me to make much of a backswing with my left arm in the position shown in his book. Right arm? Sure, it points at the hip. But the only way I can turn with my left elbow pointing inward is I must rotate my left arm from the shoulder socket, which creates a big inside move on the way back.

At impact, the left arm has the elbow pointing basically down the line, not at your hip. Some old timer gave me this tip years ago, and this is the position I decided to start with, as that is where I wanted to get back to. From there, I could take the club straight back and not way back inside with a rotating arm. Post impact it rotates left but at impact, straight down the line.

Cleveland

Thanks for the compliment on the swing. Have a couple of things I am working on; I am trying to shorten it a bit to avoid the shift forward at the end of the backswing so I can stay behind the ball through the downswing.

Regarding your swing, I fully support the approach of doing what you can to make the swing. A golf swing is personal and you have to do what you can physically do to get the club from address to impact. This is why I avoid reading, watching videos, or listening to someone that I haven't talked with about my swing and working on specific areas.

Now, I'm not even close to an expert. I couldn't even carry an experts clubs for them.

But, I'd like to weigh in and not sure if it will help. I'm not sure about keeping your elbows close, however I've heard you should keep your upper arms close to body. Which if you try it, it does bring your elbows closer together.

I myself have tried this and had moderate success. But, being the high handicapper I am, with no lessons yet, I take what I know and have learned in many places and do what's most comfortable for me. If I try to many things, it's slices and worm burners all day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Nice swing!  Oh, to be young again!!

At impact, the left arm has the elbow pointing basically down the line, not at your hip. Some old timer gave me this tip years ago, and this is the position I decided to start with, as that is where I wanted to get back to. From there, I could take the club straight back and not way back inside with a rotating arm. Post impact it rotates left but at impact, straight down the line.

Exactly the single plane swing.  The club doesn't actually go straight back, but comes inside with your body rotation.  When the body stops rotating, the trail arm folds bringing the club up and putting the club on the same plane as at address.  Then it's just a matter of rotating your lower body and bringing the club down to impact with hands leading.  Easy peasy, lemon squeazy!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ive always kept the right elbow in slightly but honestly for me it's not something I really focus on. If I hit the right spot at the top then my elbow did right in the backswing but it's different for everyone.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

My $0.02 from another UN-low-handicapper ;-)

Ole Gray -

I think the term you're referring to is "connected" .. ie. the arms stay what the teachers call connected with the body through the backswing and then through the downswing...

CNosil does a *beautiful* job of this!!!

There are no "flying elbows" nor "chicken wings".

Hopefully this pic comes thru clear enough -- here is Julius Boros' instruction on position of the right (for right-handers) elbow during the backswing....

1483027982356.jpg

Side note:

There's another interesting thread somewhere about baseball swings vs golf swings .. including talk about the back elbow...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

My $0.02 from another UN-low-handicapper ;-)

Ole Gray -

I think the term you're referring to is "connected" .. ie. the arms stay what the teachers call connected with the body through the backswing and then through the downswing...

CNosil does a *beautiful* job of this!!!

There are no "flying elbows" nor "chicken wings".

Hopefully this pic comes thru clear enough -- here is Julius Boros' instruction on position of the right (for right-handers) elbow during the backswing....

attachicon.gifIMG_20161229_110514282.jpg

Side note:

There's another interesting thread somewhere about baseball swings vs golf swings .. including talk about the back elbow...

Bingo .

Steve Stricker has a beautiful "connected" move through the ball. It looks so pure and simple.

Cleveland

My teacher is constantly on me about tucking my right elbow

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My teacher is constantly on me about tucking my right elbow

About not tucking?

I look at it this way, you're either a tucker, or you're not. Non Tucker's like Jack Nicklaus somehow got er done so I suppose there's more ways to skin a catfish

Cleveland

I'm not Jack Nicklaus and neither is anyone here just like I'm not Salvador Dali or Dizzy Gillespie. The greats break convention.

For the rest of us it's best to find the most efficient way to swing the club which is tucking the right elbow in.

Ultimately though you need to learn to play with the swing and ball flight that you have fitting it into the course that you're playing to shoot the lowest possible score.

I actually had to shoot away from the green from 176 yesterday. I didn't like the front pin over water with the best result being a slick 40 do it down holler whether I tuck my elbow on the five iron or not. :(

I shot away from the green and water, ended up short left, pitched to 2 feet and wrote 38 down for my front nine.

That's something that I wouldn't have done when I was 20, 30, 40 or even 50.

So you asked low handicappers about keeping the arms close or not. I'm a low handicapper who has had 3 teachers in his career plus attended a Jimmy Ballard and all advocated keeping the elbow tucked or staying connected.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm not Jack Nicklaus and neither is anyone here just like I'm not Salvador Dali or Dizzy Gillespie. The greats break convention.

For the rest of us it's best to find the most efficient way to swing the club which is tucking the right elbow in.

Ultimately though you need to learn to play with the swing and ball flight that you have fitting it into the course that you're playing to shoot the lowest possible score.

I actually had to shoot away from the green from 176 yesterday. I didn't like the front pin over water with the best result being a slick 40 do it down holler whether I tuck my elbow on the five iron or not. :(

I shot away from the green and water, ended up short left, pitched to 2 feet and wrote 38 down for my front nine.

That's something that I wouldn't have done when I was 20, 30, 40 or even 50.

So you asked low handicappers about keeping the arms close or not. I'm a low handicapper who has had 3 teachers in his career plus attended a Jimmy Ballard and all advocated keeping the elbow tucked or staying connected.

I trust the Rev . Happy New Years partner!

Cleveland

You as well.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Well if you simply state "keep the right elbow tucked in" you must clarify it to "on the backswing for the first half reach out with both arms stretched as far as physically possible then as the backswing continues the right elbow will naturally tuck in". Now on the downswing keep the right elbow tucked in until you swing out stretching the right arm following through to target,blah, blah, blah
But as The Rev states every golfer out there is unique and physically different which is why you need a good instructor watching "YOU" and tweaking your swing.
All this to say that Ole Gray is right about keeping the elbow in but all in moderation so to say.
I am not an instructor however I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night ⛳

Here is a good YouTube video showing what I mean. 5 part series but still wortth going through them all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-VQ8DYu09E&list=PLuW6Y8xF1injwRjr5wlwRFKMe_NyJGmDn

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

Well if you simply state "keep the right elbow tucked in" you must clarify it to "on the backswing for the first half reach out with both arms stretched as far as physically possible then as the backswing continues the right elbow will naturally tuck in". Now on the downswing keep the right elbow tucked in until you swing out stretching the right arm following through to target,blah, blah, blah 🏌️

But as The Rev states every golfer out there is unique and physically different which is why you need a good instructor watching "YOU" and tweaking your swing.

All this to say that Ole Gray is right about keeping the elbow in but all in moderation so to say.

I am not an instructor however I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night ⛳️

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Lol some awesome advice & wisdom in this thread. Thanks guys for the input 🏌️

Cleveland

Good stuff in here guys. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I can say for me that if I don't keep left elbow connected during my swing, and let it fly away from my body, my ball start right and continue going right. (Nasty pull hook) I can tell about half through the downswing that it happened, but it's too late, so I grab a new ball and try again.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

About not tucking?

I look at it this way, you're either a tucker, or you're not. Non Tucker's like Jack Nicklaus somehow got er done so I suppose there's more ways to skin a catfish

but the catfish won't like any of them

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Chipping around the green costing ya strokes?  Try this:

http://www.golf.com/instruction/how-hanger-can-turn-your-flubbed-shots-tap-ins

Cleveland

O. G. Here is a snapshot of one of my Golftec lessons. (me & Adam Scott)

We were doing comparisons. I straightened out my leg cause of back injury... I digress. Check out our elbows

attachicon.gif2017-01-08 17.27.14.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm no swing coach but it looks good to me!

Cleveland

We were doing comparisons. I straightened out my leg cause of back injury... I digress. Check out our elbows

attachicon.gif2017-01-08 17.27.14.jpg

Nice outfit!  If you had a white hat, I couldn't tell you and Scott apart.    ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2017-01-08 17.27.14.jpg

The elbows are the same, but if you look at your wrists, you can see how you're left wrist is cupped, and his is flat. Which would mean that the clubhead is in a different position during the transition.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 1 month later...

I thought I have always used when I start struggling is to imagine a delicate string tying my elbows together and swing so I don't break it.  Seems to work for me

I like this swing thought!    Every time I had a pre swing thought of keeping my elbows together I hit the ball in the fairway off the tee.   When I started flipping em like a Texas bull in a Saturday night rodeo, all hell broke loose. :blink: 

Cleveland

The elbows are the same, but if you look at your wrists, you can see how you're left wrist is cupped, and his is flat. Which would mean that the clubhead is in a different position during the transition.

Yes exactly. Cupped wrist at the top can cause issues squaring the clubface at impact.

Taylormade M1

Titleist 816 H1

Titleist 916 AP1 4-GW

52,56,60 Vokey Wedges

64 Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedge

Ping Ketsch mid putter

Titleist deluxe cart bag

TecTecTec range finder

CaddyTek EZ-Fold 3 Wheel Golf Push Cart

Country Club Elite® Hitting Strip 10"x30"

Rukket Haack Golf Net By SEC Coach Chris Haack 10 X 7ft

Archived